Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Best, Worst and most Disappointing 2012!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Best, Worst and most Disappointing 2012! Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Best, Worst and most Disappointing 2012! - 7/12/2012 11:25:50 PM   
Zaphod121

quote:

ORIGINAL: fuzzy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zaphod121

Best: Parenthood season 4, brilliant show that keeps getting better.
Worst: American Horror Story Asylum, I didn't really watch any shows I hate, I do enjoy AHS but but it is completely ridiculous and overblown.
Most Disappointing: Weeds S8

Season 4, god now I'm depressed.  Can't believe Channel 5 have dropped this. Only up to Season 2 for me so far, but easily one of my favourite shows

Could always import the DVDs.

"Everyone wins. Except Abed. But, you know, not everyone can win"

My Brothers Web-Series

My YouTube Channel

(in reply to fuzzy)
Post #: 31
RE: Best, Worst and most Disappointing 2012! - 8/12/2012 12:35:36 PM   
spark1

best US-'justified', 'homeland', 'southland', 'the good wife'
best UK-'line of duty', 'being human' 'sherlock', 'grandma's house'

best revival- csi thanks to ted danson, 'downton' s3

surprise of '12- 'the fear', 'dallas', 'switch', 'once upon a time'
disappointment-'hunted', 'eternal law', 'vexed' s2

< Message edited by spark1 -- 12/12/2012 10:26:56 AM >

(in reply to Zaphod121)
Post #: 32
RE: Best, Worst and most Disappointing 2012! - 8/12/2012 12:47:41 PM   
Peter Griffin

Best: The Bridge, Boardwalk Empire, Breaking Bad

Worst: Arrow

Dissapointing: Fringe, Game of Thrones (I did enjoy GoT but was nowhere near as good as Season 1.)

"No point in mentioning these bats, I thought. Poor bastard will see them soon enough."

"Me and Pete Griffin would make a beautiful Dead Space ass kicking baby."

(in reply to paul_ie86)
Post #: 33
RE: Best, Worst and most Disappointing 2012! - 8/12/2012 9:22:32 PM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Best - Homeland S1, New Girl
Worst - Charlie's Angels, 13 Steps Down, Above Suspicion: Silent Scream
Most disappointing - Parade's End

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to Peter Griffin)
Post #: 34
RE: Best, Worst and most Disappointing 2012! - 10/12/2012 11:31:35 PM   
ctu_special_agent

Best- Homeland Series 1

Most disappointing- Homeland Series 2

For a series that was such a tight, controlled slow burner in it's first season, Homeland seems to have doused itself in petrol and hurled itself out of a twentieth storey window in it's second. Plot has been torn through so fast that at points it seems like it's been being made up as it goes along, and at least two episodes this season have still been pure filler. It's still something I'll watch every week, purely to see how it plays out but I've lost count of the amount of times in the second series I have audibly groaned or thought "really? REALLY?!". Those that were surprised by the first season that the creators of 24 could come up with something much more real and grounded than that show found themselves back on familiar ground with Season 2, what with the immensely pointless hit-and-run storyline, and the less said about the remote controlled pacemaker the better.
Add to that that they took one of the most interesting, complex characters of recent years in Carrie and decided to make her almost a cartoon of herself, and it's not hard to see how far this has fallen in quality since Season 1. Like I said, I'll still watch it, since it certainly is more good than it is bad, and the performances of the main cast make up for most of the shortcomings, but it's most definitely lost it's touch a little.

"I get a lot of shit for being quite posh but as the old saying goes: "sticks and stones may break my bones but fuck it, I'm with bupa""

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 35
RE: Best, Worst and most Disappointing 2012! - 10/12/2012 11:47:40 PM   
elab49

I think it hadn't a clue what to do when it bottled the first season tbh - since Brody didn't do what he was supposed to do they tried to come up with a storyline to keep him relevant and it's just not worked IMO.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to ctu_special_agent)
Post #: 36
RE: Best, Worst and most Disappointing 2012! - 11/12/2012 4:49:46 AM   
Saltire

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc

quote:

ORIGINAL: musht

Most disappointing:
1.Sherlock - I've never been a massive fan of this, very overrated in my opinion. Cumberbatch has turned Sherlock into an arrogant cunt who I really don't like. I'm not a fan of the writing either.

Holmes is an arrogant cunt in the books too.

Pretty much. Moffat's take on the character is not a million miles from the book. Nor was Brett's.

If it's maybe Ritchie's it's being compared to, that's not Conan Doyle.

I disagree. Admittedly, I have only read two of the books and have all the short stories to read through yet also, but I have recently watched the entire Brett's episodes of Holmes and his interpretation as the series went on became more true to the book apparently. In those series and the books, I found Holmes to be slightly terse towards certain people, but never cruel unlike the Cumberpatch version; there is a kindness and even brief warmth there, especially towards Watson which comes across in the books and the Eighties series and makes their adventures together seem a genuine partnership. Cumberpatch's Holmes doesn't seem to care whether Watson is there or not, and though I don't mind this more modern take on Holmes, it is removed from the original character imo.

< Message edited by Saltire -- 11/12/2012 4:50:13 AM >

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 37
RE: Best, Worst and most Disappointing 2012! - 11/12/2012 2:21:17 PM   
elab49

I think that's where I'd really disagree - your take on the relationship between Watson and Holmes in the current series. I don't think it is that at all and there is a great chemistry there that gets both roles very well. I think it's Watson they often get wrong because of the Rathbone films more than anything but a couple recently - Ian Hart and now Freeman, feel right.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 38
RE: Best, Worst and most Disappointing 2012! - 11/12/2012 4:54:40 PM   
musht

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

I think that's where I'd really disagree - your take on the relationship between Watson and Holmes in the current series. I don't think it is that at all and there is a great chemistry there that gets both roles very well. I think it's Watson they often get wrong because of the Rathbone films more than anything but a couple recently - Ian Hart and now Freeman, feel right.

Definitely Watson is the character who is more often than not miscast or wrongly interpreted. I agree with Saltire when he says (better than I could have said) that Cumberbatch's Holmes lacks a warmth and a kindness which I feel is very strong in the books. I wouldn't necessarily agree with his view on the Holmes/Watson relationship, I feel there is a chemistry between Cumberbatch and Freeman but it is very Sheldon/Leonard (may I be forgiven for the BBT comparison) whereas in the books I do feel it is a genuine friendship.

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

"What the hell are Regionals!?"

"color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color"

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 39
RE: Best, Worst and most Disappointing 2012! - 13/12/2012 3:59:00 AM   
furrybastard

Best - Mad Men
Runner Up: The Thick of It

The latest season was, for me, the greatest season of a television show ever made. Expertly crafted, brilliantly written and directed with a flair and confidence that has never been matched by anyone else. Each episode was nigh-on perfect but my personal favourite was Signal 30. I've never seen a series show this much ambition and not just reach it but exceed it in every way. Every episode was like a modern-day New American Cinema masterpiece from the 70s.

The Thick of It was seven episodes of hilarious writing, wonderful acting and incredibly sharp and incisive satire.

Most Disappointing: Homeland
Runner Up: 30 Rock

With every succeeding episode, I become more and more convinced they should have just had the balls to be a one season show. This is pretty terrible stuff.

30 Rock is still enjoyable enough but it's lost its charm in a lot of ways. It's just not as funny anymore.

Worst: The Newsroom
Runner Up: The Walking Dead

The Newsroom promised so much and delivered so little. Made so much worse by the fact that it's a clear indication of just how much a one-trick pony Aaron Sorkin is. This featured some of the most genuinely awful writing of the year and is probably the worst thing HBO has produced in a decade.

The Walking Dead has never been very good. One of the most bland, poorly directed shows I've seen in a while, it's bizarre to think this comes from the same network that produces shows like Mad Men and Breaking Bad. All those grey colours, empty backgrounds and talking heads does not make for a visually arresting show and the pacing, plot repetition and writing somehow manage to make the zombie apocalypse one of the most boring events in the history of humanity. Made all the worse by the fact that I still do not understand how they so consistently fuck up such a brilliant premise.

Honourable mentions go to Boardwalk Empire (started pretty shaky, but improved as it went on) and Breaking Bad (as great as it was, the last episode bordered on the ridiculous with Walt's decision, saved only by a juicy cliffhanger. Though that too arrived a little incredulously)

< Message edited by furrybastard -- 13/12/2012 4:03:49 AM >

(in reply to musht)
Post #: 40
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Best, Worst and most Disappointing 2012! Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI