Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Best, Worst and most Disappointing 2012!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> Best, Worst and most Disappointing 2012! Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Best, Worst and most Disappointing 2012! - 6/12/2012 1:07:02 PM   
spark1

the movie thread has one so it must be time for one in the tv forum.
Post #: 1
RE: Best, Worst and most Disappointing 2012! - 6/12/2012 2:12:33 PM   
Joedini

Well go on then...

(in reply to spark1)
Post #: 2
RE: Best, Worst and most Disappointing 2012! - 6/12/2012 2:53:08 PM   
blackduck

I'm normally te kiss of death for new threads but I'll give it a go.

BEST Game of Thrones
WORST Elementry (good cast, terrible stories)
MOST DISAPPOINTING Derren Browns new stuff (especally the second part of the end of world thing)

(in reply to Joedini)
Post #: 3
RE: Best, Worst and most Disappointing 2012! - 6/12/2012 3:16:29 PM   
theoriginalcynic

BEST: Sherlock - right at the beginning of the year / Downton Abbey.
WORST: Family Guy. Sadly going or gone downhill. Still funny in places but mostly meh. Green Arrow - come back Smallville all...
MOST DISAPPOINTING: Doctor Who. I expected more from the seventh series part 1. Elementary - poor stories - generic detective series.

It's funny me championing the UK series because years ago (90's / early noughties) I was all about the US shows.

< Message edited by theoriginalcynic -- 6/12/2012 3:20:04 PM >

(in reply to blackduck)
Post #: 4
RE: Best, Worst and most Disappointing 2012! - 6/12/2012 3:55:10 PM   
losthighway

BEST: Call The Midwife... finally watched it on DVD and was blown away. A truly stunning series which I was honestly shocked I enjoyed so much after ignoring it when originally broadcast. I can't wait for the Xmas special and second series next year.

WORST: The Inbetweeners USA... WHAT THE FCUK!!!... Only 2 episodes in and it is DIRE! I don;t need to see anymore to know this is never going to improve. Plus, MTV have already cancelled it after only one season!

MOST DISAPPOINTING: Game of Thrones S2... I loved the first season but I found S2 a convoluted mess and at times boring which only got better with the appearance of a dead army in the final moments. I was told by a mate that the book is much better and they had made many changes from the original novel.

The secret to becoming a star is knowing how to behave like one.

(in reply to theoriginalcynic)
Post #: 5
RE: Best, Worst and most Disappointing 2012! - 6/12/2012 4:27:52 PM   
theoriginalcynic

I agree. Game of Thrones is so overrated. The second series was slow, two hours worth of story dragged out to ten.

(in reply to losthighway)
Post #: 6
RE: Best, Worst and most Disappointing 2012! - 6/12/2012 4:36:05 PM   
Ref

Best: Sherlock
Worst: Anything on ITV2 - bloody awful that channel is.
Most Disappointing: Doctor Who - liked the Doctor and Rory, and Amy when they sorted her character out, but the storylines were not good.

Viewers of a nervous disposition may be interested to know that your television is off and I am speaking to you from inside your head...

Hugh Dennis, Mock the Week

Icon created by the talented JaD

Post #: 7
RE: Best, Worst and most Disappointing 2012! - 6/12/2012 5:00:23 PM   
Zaphod121

Best: Parenthood season 4, brilliant show that keeps getting better.
Worst: American Horror Story Asylum, I didn't really watch any shows I hate, I do enjoy AHS but but it is completely ridiculous and overblown.
Most Disappointing: Weeds S8

"Everyone wins. Except Abed. But, you know, not everyone can win"

My Brothers Web-Series

My YouTube Channel

(in reply to Ref)
Post #: 8
RE: Best, Worst and most Disappointing 2012! - 6/12/2012 9:57:05 PM   
musht

Best: Community - I know some people thinking (oh no, not another Community fanatic), well, YES!! The second half of the third season was some of the best comedy I've ever seen and it didn't skimp on the character stuff either, I absolutely loved it.

Worst: Any reality show, take your pick

Most disappointing:
1.Sherlock - I've never been a massive fan of this, very overrated in my opinion. Cumberbatch has turned Sherlock into an arrogant cunt who I really don't like. I'm not a fan of the writing either.
2.Revolution -This was not good, bad writing, bad acting, such a shame cause the premise is pretty decent. I stopped watching after 3 episodes.
3.Newsroom - Preachy, clichéd, characters we've seen in every other Sorkin production. That said I still watched the whole thing.

The movie thread also has a 'Biggest Surprise' category; mine would have to be Last Resort. Great show, such a shame it's been cancelled.

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

"What the hell are Regionals!?"

"color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color"

(in reply to Zaphod121)
Post #: 9
RE: Best, Worst and most Disappointing 2012! - 6/12/2012 10:20:43 PM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: theoriginalcynic

BEST: Sherlock - right at the beginning of the year / Downton Abbey.
WORST: Family Guy. Sadly going or gone downhill. Still funny in places but mostly meh. Green Arrow - come back Smallville all...
MOST DISAPPOINTING: Doctor Who. I expected more from the seventh series part 1. Elementary - poor stories - generic detective series.

It's funny me championing the UK series because years ago (90's / early noughties) I was all about the US shows.

Surely the 's' should be off that?

Like the biggest surprise addition. I'm almost sure there was a good show I was shocked was on ITV but I'll have to remember what it was.

Biggest disappointment for me might be Dr Who as well - I wasn't a great fan of that run of episodes. But it's probably not fair as I did like big chunks of the Moffat ones. I'll think on't.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

Post #: 10
RE: Best, Worst and most Disappointing 2012! - 6/12/2012 10:22:58 PM   
Rinc

quote:

ORIGINAL: musht

Most disappointing:
1.Sherlock - I've never been a massive fan of this, very overrated in my opinion. Cumberbatch has turned Sherlock into an arrogant cunt who I really don't like. I'm not a fan of the writing either.

Holmes is an arrogant cunt in the books too.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:
[ color=#F1F1F1 ]text[ /color ]

(in reply to musht)
Post #: 11
RE: Best, Worst and most Disappointing 2012! - 6/12/2012 10:37:56 PM   
musht

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc

quote:

Most disappointing:

I disagree, he's certainly arrogant but the whole point of Holmes is that he's a good guy who has gone out of the way to use his deductive powers to thwart evil; he cares about and enjoys what he does. Cumberbatch's Holmes always seems as if he's rather be doing something else.

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 12
RE: Best, Worst and most Disappointing 2012! - 6/12/2012 10:39:10 PM   
elab49

quote:

quote:

Most disappointing:

Pretty much. Moffat's take on the character is not a million miles from the book. Nor was Brett's.

If it's maybe Ritchie's it's being compared to, that's not Conan Doyle.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 13
RE: Best, Worst and most Disappointing 2012! - 6/12/2012 10:55:26 PM   
Skiba

The Good

It's been a pretty good year for comedy I'd say...and mainly in the last few months. Fresh Meat and Friday Night Dinner returning as good, if not stronger. Cuckoo on BBC3 was really, really good too. Also really enjoyed Hebburn. The return of Partridge "flying aids!"

Red Dwarf - whilst not amazing it was still good to have it back on.

The Thick of It - More gags in it than ever and the inquiry episode was a brilliant bit of TV.

Shatner on Have I Got News For You was also a real highlight!

Olympics and Paralympics coverage was superb for the most part and The Last Leg on Channel 4 was great.

The Worst

Citizen Khan was just awful. So off the pulse of what's acceptable for a mainstream comedy.

Harry and Paul. Just stop now...please.

Disapointing

Noel Fielding's luxury comedy. Indulgent nonsense.

Have a good time, all the time.

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 14
RE: Best, Worst and most Disappointing 2012! - 6/12/2012 11:12:46 PM   
musht

Shit, I forgot about The Thick Of It

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

(in reply to Skiba)
Post #: 15
RE: Best, Worst and most Disappointing 2012! - 6/12/2012 11:21:27 PM   
elab49

Olympics Opening Ceremony is an excellent call as well. 

quote:

(in reply to musht)
Post #: 16
RE: Best, Worst and most Disappointing 2012! - 6/12/2012 11:21:47 PM   
theoriginalcynic

quote:

quote:

quote:

Most disappointing:

I disagree, he's certainly arrogant but the whole point of Holmes is that he's a good guy who has gone out of the way to use his deductive powers to thwart evil; he cares about and enjoys what he does. Cumberbatch's Holmes always seems as if he's rather be doing something else.

I disagree. Holmes rubs his hands and smiles with glee when a case comes up. He's a bit of a psychopath.

(in reply to musht)
Post #: 17
RE: Best, Worst and most Disappointing 2012! - 7/12/2012 12:24:11 AM   
Shifty Bench

I still haven't watched an episode of Sherlock.....

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

Post #: 18
RE: Best, Worst and most Disappointing 2012! - 7/12/2012 1:19:55 AM   
Zaphod121

Holmes certainty enjoys what he does, they've just made him autistic therefore he has no respect for anyone who isn't as smart as him (i.e almost everyone).

"Everyone wins. Except Abed. But, you know, not everyone can win"

My Brothers Web-Series

My YouTube Channel

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 19
RE: Best, Worst and most Disappointing 2012! - 7/12/2012 7:18:42 AM   
elab49

I think that's a little blunt. The problem with even assuming something on the asperger's spectrum is Holmes' attitude to change, which he seems to need to which is in basic conflict with one of the main bases for diagnosis.

Before everyone knew what autism was, generations of people have just noted he was often a self-satisfied arrogant tit most of the time. YOu can be that without having a medical diagnosis. And an addict of course.

quote:

(in reply to Zaphod121)
Post #: 20
RE: Best, Worst and most Disappointing 2012! - 7/12/2012 8:07:19 AM   
Professor Moriarty

BEST : For me was The Bridge, which worked as both a police thriller and social commentary

WORST: That thing where Buffy played twins. I don't even know what it was called, but that's about as much attention as the writers gave to the plot and characters.

MOST DISAPPOINTING : Thirteen Steps Down, I had big expectations for a Ruth Rendell adaptation.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 21
RE: Best, Worst and most Disappointing 2012! - 7/12/2012 12:29:33 PM   
sharkboy

Best shows:

Game of Thrones S2, Breaking Bad S5 Part1, The Bridge, The Thick of It

Best event:

Olympic/Paralympic ceremonies (but not the Olympic closing ceremony!)

Worst:

With what I've seen so far, it's hard to argue with Inbetweeners USA - Neil being more like the Young Ones' version that the Inbetweeners, Jay (badly) channelling Jack Black, and Will missing one drop of the charm of his UK counterpart.  To be fair, they've got pretty close with Simon but thats not even near enough to keep watching.

Most Disappointing

Last Resort.  Not the show, but the shitty way the US network dealt with it.  I was so hoping for another huge Shane Ryan hit after the excellent Chicago Code got binned after one season, but alas 'twas not to be.

Alcatraz - note to JJ: not every show needs to be Lost in a new setting.  Even the great Sam Neill couldn't save this one.  This could easily be under the previous heading of Worst.  And on a similar note...

Fringe - I'd hoped that the final season would have been the chance to pull together all those haning threads from the previous seasons, but once S4 gave us a glimpse into the future I knew it was too much to hope for.  If it wasn't for the brilliance that is Walter, I wouldn't even bother.

Most surprising

Grimm S2 - S1 was OK, good harmless fun that threatened to turn into a simple "monster of the week" show, but some interesting plot arcs are starting to develop in this season that has moved the show from "fun distraction" to "must TIVO".

Arrow - a comic adaptation with a cast of beautiful people sounded like 90210 with superpowers, but it's actually been a lot better than it sounded, with just enough darkness to make it more than the fluff show it threatened to be.

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 22
RE: Best, Worst and most Disappointing 2012! - 7/12/2012 1:38:14 PM   
will1000

Best - Breaking Bad series 5 (part 1...phew!)

Worst - The Secret of Crickley Hall...cliched to breaking point with stock characters making stupid decisions, and not at all scary. Watch The Orphanage instead!

Most Disappointing - The Derren Brown specials

Most Surprising - Secret State...I din't know what to expect from this (except a great cast) but it was a pretty gripping thriller with a quite a ballsy ending. It's made me want to read the book!

(in reply to spark1)
Post #: 23
RE: Best, Worst and most Disappointing 2012! - 7/12/2012 1:43:24 PM   
fuzzy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zaphod121

Best: Parenthood season 4, brilliant show that keeps getting better.
Worst: American Horror Story Asylum, I didn't really watch any shows I hate, I do enjoy AHS but but it is completely ridiculous and overblown.
Most Disappointing: Weeds S8

Season 4, god now I'm depressed.  Can't believe Channel 5 have dropped this. Only up to Season 2 for me so far, but easily one of my favourite shows

(in reply to Zaphod121)
Post #: 24
RE: Best, Worst and most Disappointing 2012! - 7/12/2012 2:36:51 PM   
Harry Tuttle

Best - Either The Thick of It or Boardwalk Empire Season 3

Worst - The Cleveland Show Season 3 - Beyond awful

Disappointing - Probably Dr Who as well. It was alright but it never felt like it got going properly for me.

< Message edited by Harry Tuttle -- 7/12/2012 2:37:53 PM >

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to fuzzy)
Post #: 25
RE: Best, Worst and most Disappointing 2012! - 7/12/2012 2:49:54 PM   
talpacino

Best - Breaking Bad 5 part 1

Worst - Can't really remember anything.

Most disappointing - Boardwalk Season 2, I left it late and it just didn't grab me at all. I read a pretty big spoiler in the feckin This is me thread of all places and it put me off as well. Still haven't finished.

Most surprising - Girls.

Currahee!

It's a different film. It's a very different film! It's a different shark!

Suppose I shot ya..How'd that be?

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 26
RE: Best, Worst and most Disappointing 2012! - 7/12/2012 6:35:07 PM   
jcthefirst

Best: Game of Thrones season 2; or how to treat a big sprawling epic properly. Surprised people thought it was too slow; I thought it moved at quite a clip, at least as quickly as the first season anyway.

Worst: Was Terra Nova this year or last? If not, Arrow. Or The Inbetweeners US. Both awful, gave up after 2 episodes of each.

Most disappointing: Gonna have to agree with the shouts for Doctor Who and Fringe. Who just never got out of third gear, and Fringe while still good, isn't the show I fell in love with anymore.

@Jonny_C85

My Movie Blog | My Other Various Rantings Blog

(in reply to talpacino)
Post #: 27
RE: Best, Worst and most Disappointing 2012! - 7/12/2012 7:23:33 PM   
Shifty Bench

Terra Nova was last year, I checked as I was going to say that too

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 28
RE: Best, Worst and most Disappointing 2012! - 7/12/2012 7:49:33 PM   
vad3r

I watch WAY too many TV shows to list it all on here. If you know where to look, TV > Film.

Single Virgin Mod Candidate 2013

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives
To paraphrase the great man himself:

Vad3r won't go anywhere near this.

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 29
RE: Best, Worst and most Disappointing 2012! - 7/12/2012 9:43:18 PM   
paul_ie86

Best: Parks and Rec, Community, Mad Men, Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad, Black Mirror. Best episode was Parks and Rec's Win Lose or Draw

Worst: Just the old staples like the awards shows

Most disappointing: A Touch of Cloth, especially considering Brooker wrote 2/3s of the one of the year's best series. The Olympic closing ceremony.

Most surprising: Suburgatory. Expected it to be alright, but it's one of my favourite programmes now, mainly thanks to Allie Grant being hilarious. Apparently the 2nd season is even better. Also the Olympic opening ceremony was unexpectedly brilliant

< Message edited by paul_ie86 -- 8/12/2012 1:08:08 AM >

My Group Project's facebook page. Please like

(in reply to vad3r)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> Best, Worst and most Disappointing 2012! Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI