Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

New York Post criticised over subway-death photo

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> New York Post criticised over subway-death photo Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
New York Post criticised over subway-death photo - 6/12/2012 12:28:11 PM   
Ref

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBC News

The New York Post has been criticised for a front-page photo showing a man moments from being fatally struck by a subway train.

Readers of the tabloid have asked why neither its photographer nor anyone else helped Ki-Suck Han, 58, as he tried to clamber to safety.

He was pushed on to the track at the 49th Street station near Times Square by a stranger seen talking to himself.

Police arrested the suspected assailant on Tuesday.

Surveillance footage had been found of someone fitting descriptions of the man, who has worked with street vendors near the Rockefeller Center in Midtown, police said.

'Catch attention'
One of the bystanders during Monday's incident was a New York Post freelance photographer who managed to take photos.

Continue reading the main story

Start Quote

I just started running, running, hoping that the driver could see my flash”

R Umar Abbasi
New York Post photographer
In the New York Post report, the photographer, R Umar Abbasi, said he had used his camera flash in an attempt to warn the approaching train driver.

"I just started running, running, hoping that the driver could see my flash," he said.

The tabloid's video report on the story said: "Not being strong enough to physically lift the victim himself the photographer used the only resources available to him and began rapidly flashing his camera to signal the train conductor to stop."

Readers of the tabloid and many on Twitter were not convinced.

"Claims he was using camera's flash to catch conductor's attention," Ellen Comisar tweeted. "But result seems a tad too well composed."

"Wow! enough time to take a few pictures," wrote Joseph Monte on the Post's website. "Why didn't the person help? How many pictures did they take?"

I am truly shocked over this, and if the photographer was only doing it to warn the train driver then why did the New York Post publish the pictures?!

Viewers of a nervous disposition may be interested to know that your television is off and I am speaking to you from inside your head...

Hugh Dennis, Mock the Week

Icon created by the talented JaD
Post #: 1
RE: New York Post criticised over subway-death photo - 6/12/2012 1:03:12 PM   
blackduck

Wouldn't flashing the camera just distract rather than warn the driver? Possible he added to the problem.
I thought frantically waving your arms was the improvised distress call of choice.

Don't know which is worse, that he took the photos or that they were published.

I am but an egg.

(in reply to Ref)
Post #: 2
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> New York Post criticised over subway-death photo Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI