Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Beckham - does anyone care?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: Beckham - does anyone care? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Beckham - does anyone care? - 16/5/2013 6:16:27 PM   
superdan

He's had a remarkable career - a genuine football superstar - and has consistently proved his doubters wrong over the years. For all the piss-taking he's had about being an idiot or 'T-shirt salesman' over the years, he's also shown time and again that he has a determination and will that few of his English contemporaries ever displayed. And he has the medals to match.

As far as I'm concerned it's been a pleasure having him represent the nation in football over the last couple of decades. And I'll always love him for that free kick against Greece

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 31
RE: Beckham - does anyone care? - 16/5/2013 6:29:16 PM   
Goodfella

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ultimo Lee

He effectively retired when he took the money to join the muppet league 6 years ago.

The T-shirt saleman is no more.

Have you ever actually watched an MLS game?

It saddens me so many are keen to give such a disservice to a great player. Aside from being an excellent footballer in his day (which he was) he's served the game so well as a true professional, an ambassador and, yes, a brand in itself which has helped launch a football club like LA Galaxy onto the map but so what? He played as hard for LA Galaxy as he did the rest of his career and he's always won the respect of the manager and team-mates in whichever dressing room he's been a part of, and if you watch him on the pitch, even up until his last few games, he still puts the effort in, determined and driven to contribute to the football, with the kind of egos and soulless "superstars" the modern game frequents to produce I wouldn't be criticizing Becks one bit! He may not be the sharpest tool in the box but he's always struck me as a very honest and decent sportsman and, for that matter, person. On the day he retires he deserves the respect he's earned.

And his free-kicks were simply amazing. Whatever you think, you can always pick at least one David Beckham free kick you will never forget.

"It is the Shawshank Redemption! Just with more tunneling through shit and less fucking redemption."

If you can quote the rules, then you can obey them.

(in reply to Ultimo Lee)
Post #: 32
RE: Beckham - does anyone care? - 16/5/2013 7:44:43 PM   
Dirk Miggler

Great player for Utd, I think his career took a nosedive and was pretty lacklustre once he left for Madrid. Probably the best of an underachieving bunch for England although like the rest never really produced on the biggest stage. I think he played on too long but was always a model pro and a true role model for the younger players with regards his professionalism.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 33
RE: Beckham - does anyone care? - 17/5/2013 9:56:44 AM   
Skiba

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b

Reading the news on the BBC website and I watched this which made me sad -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22559461

Mainly because it's one of the few times in the last 15 years or so that England looked like a top team that could pass properly and with purpose.

How many chances did we have in that game??? I just remember us being under the cosh for most of it! I scared the shit out of my cousin's little girl that day as I jumped up when Beckham scored and smashed the light fitting on the ceiling!

Pleasure to watch Beckham in his pomp. Some incredible goals, some incredible performances where he carried the whole team. I only saw one game of his at PSG and he still looked like he had something to offer. I wouldn't be surprised to see him back for England in some capacity.

Have a good time, all the time.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 34
RE: Beckham - does anyone care? - 17/5/2013 10:27:28 AM   
matty_b

Ha, ha, that's funny, because that's how I remember it, too. Argies dominating the game and Scholes and Butt having the game of their England careers to break it all up - but you watch that and there's Owen going close twice, Sheringham's volley (I forgot he was even at that World Cup) and Beckham going close again.

I do remember the Scholes attempt because a group of us were watching it round a mate's house and he was on the toilet during that part of the game. When Heskey first had a go and then Scholes hit that beaut we were all going "Oooh! Whoah!" and he was getting quite angry that he couldn't finish what he'd started to see what was happening. "WHAT'S FUCKING GOING ON?!"

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to Skiba)
Post #: 35
RE: Beckham - does anyone care? - 17/5/2013 10:39:53 AM   
Skiba

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b

Ha, ha, that's funny, because that's how I remember it, too. Argies dominating the game and Scholes and Butt having the game of their England careers to break it all up - but you watch that and there's Owen going close twice, Sheringham's volley (I forgot he was even at that World Cup) and Beckham going close again.

I do remember the Scholes attempt because a group of us were watching it round a mate's house and he was on the toilet during that part of the game. When Heskey first had a go and then Scholes hit that beaut we were all going "Oooh! Whoah!" and he was getting quite angry that he couldn't finish what he'd started to see what was happening. "WHAT'S FUCKING GOING ON?!"

I remember the Sheringham one, actually. The Owen chance in the second half was massive...a fully fit Owen would've buried that.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 36
RE: Beckham - does anyone care? - 17/5/2013 2:42:39 PM   
Rob

Apparently Chris Waddle's not convinced by Becks!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22568870

Was he a great player? Probably not but he was pretty bloody good despite his limitations and in my opinion a Beckham at his peak would walk (pun intended) into any of the England teams of the last 25 years.

Same thing happened to me when I played Neil Armstrong in Moonshot. They found me in an alley in Burbank trying to re-enter the earth's atmosphere in an old refrigerator box.

(in reply to Skiba)
Post #: 37
RE: Beckham - does anyone care? - 17/5/2013 2:51:45 PM   
Skiba

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rob

Was he a great player? Probably not but he was pretty bloody good despite his limitations and in my opinion a Beckham at his peak would walk (pun intended) into any of the England teams of the last 25 years.

Ha! Not in the top 1,000?! He's easily in the top 50, if not higher. I liked watching Waddle but he's just the 80s' Stewart Downing! A winger with no pace or tricks.

I'd say it's just jealousy as unlike Beckham's dozens of hairstyles, Waddle's mullet never got him any sponsorship deals!

(in reply to Rob)
Post #: 38
RE: Beckham - does anyone care? - 17/5/2013 2:55:42 PM   
Professor Moriarty

I like to think that Waddle has a massive XL spreadsheet where he ranks every single player who's been in the PL.

(in reply to Skiba)
Post #: 39
RE: Beckham - does anyone care? - 17/5/2013 3:17:49 PM   
jonson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Skiba

quote:

Ha! Not in the top 1,000?! He's easily in the top 50, if not higher. I liked watching Waddle but he's just the 80s' Stewart Downing! A winger with no pace or tricks.

I'd say it's just jealousy as unlike Beckham's dozens of hairstyles, Waddle's mullet never got him any sponsorship deals!

Fuck off Waddle scored a Top Ten Hit with Diamond Lights. Beckham hasn't had a song in the charts yet.
Not in the Top 1000! There's a lot of players I've never seen if that's the case.

Sure, he's not the most talented of English players we've had over the years, but possibly the first for a long while to put his England career ahead of his club career, which elevates him for me. Great ambassador for the sport, and a person who epitomises the ideal that practice makes perfect. He's worked hard in his career to get where he has and should be applauded for it.
And yes, he would get into any England team of the last 25 years, possibly any since the 1990 team.

I wonder what he's going to do next because there's not much work out there

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to Skiba)
Post #: 40
RE: Beckham - does anyone care? - 17/5/2013 5:16:09 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

Got to disagree with ol'waddles on this one.

What I will say about Beckham,of which much has been said,is that in his peak he was in my opinion the best in the world at what he did best.
Freekicks/Deadballs,Crossing,great Long and short passing,great stamina and he'd work tirelessly in both attack and defensive situations.
He had alot of finesse and skill in his play too.Ok he didn't do hundreds of step-overs and he rarely beat his man but his technique in knowing how to strike the ball was very much unseen at the time,so much so that then England coach Glenn Hoddle criticized his Un-othordox technique in which ,in typical fashion,Beckham handsomely responded with a great free-kick against Columbia.

Beckham wasn't without his faults though,as mentioned.And in his younger days he was ,in simple terms,abit of a hot-head.
His back kick against Simone in the World Cup will live long in the memory as would his horrendous challenge on Necaxa's Jose Milian at the Club World Championships.

So all in all he's been an extremely good player for both club and country and you can rarely say that about most top,top players these days..well the English ones anyway.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Professor Moriarty

I like to think that Waddle has a massive XL spreadsheet where he ranks every single player who's been in the PL.

I think it's alongside his bar tab receipt.

< Message edited by OPEN YOUR EYES -- 17/5/2013 5:29:52 PM >

(in reply to Rob)
Post #: 41
RE: Beckham - does anyone care? - 17/5/2013 11:58:54 PM   
Ultimo Lee

quote:

ORIGINAL: Goodfella

quote:

He effectively retired when he took the money to join the muppet league 6 years ago.

Do i sit and watch it on a regular basis? no. there are plenty of better leagues to watch in the world. Have i seen enough to know the quality? Yes and also listen to people who watch the league and aren't blind to it's faults and lack of quality.

quote:

to a great player.

He was never great, i watched him more than 100 times live. He was an above average player who put in a shift, could cross a ball and once in a while score a great freekick. It sickens me that casual fans now seem to think he's some genius of football.

quote:

a brand in itself which has helped launch a football club like LA Galaxy onto the map but so what?

The Brand! that's what he should be known for. Him and his wife being the fame hungary, money whores they've been for a decade now. Advertising god knows how many things, raking in more and more cash and if he was all about football why at the age 32 did he decide to go to a 4th or 5th rate league instead of carrying on at a club that meant something? A big fat pay day? or did he say world peace or something?

quote:

Chris Waddle for several years has been one of the sane voices of british punditry, it doesn't surprise me he's the one talking sense among the usual morons and sycophants.

quote:

I wish there was a shaking head smiley, the above is hilarious. I'm now starting to wonder if i can come up with a top 50 players he played with who were better than him.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 42
RE: Beckham - does anyone care? - 18/5/2013 12:21:43 AM   
Saltire

quote:

quote:

Sorry but Waddle was ten times the player Beckham ever was. The only people we should be lauding are the brilliant marketing men who made this mediocre banal belter somehow into a global name. Now thats talent!

< Message edited by Saltire -- 18/5/2013 12:22:30 AM >

(in reply to Skiba)
Post #: 43
RE: Beckham - does anyone care? - 18/5/2013 1:53:01 PM   
superdan

These marketing men must have been true geniuses to make such an average footballer the most famous footballer on the planet, while simultaneously getting him to play for Manchester United, Real Madrid and AC Milan and accrue a record number of England caps. Simon Fuller really is an incredible human being.

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 44
RE: Beckham - does anyone care? - 18/5/2013 2:33:02 PM   
Ultimo Lee

quote:

ORIGINAL: superdan

These marketing men must have been true geniuses to make such an average footballer the most famous footballer on the planet, while simultaneously getting him to play for Manchester United, Real Madrid and AC Milan and accrue a record number of England caps. Simon Fuller really is an incredible human being.

People fall for celebrity & glamour Kardasian's, Jordan etc that's why an ugly faced dwarf like Messi who shuns the limelight doesn't even compare to his "global icon" image. Madrid signed him for the player he was and kept him on for the money he made them and Milan liked to sell t-shirts. His time at Madrid was hardly a huge success, the club made a ton of money at the time but i remember (i think it was Balague) saying the galactico's era was Madrid's worst era in terms of trophy's and points.

It's also funny that it's claimed he's ending his career on a high "helping" PSG win the the title. 1. PSG were 7 or 8 points ahead when he joined having spent a fortune and 2. he's played 9 league games 8 of which were as a sub

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 45
RE: Beckham - does anyone care? - 18/5/2013 2:48:06 PM   
superdan

quote:

quote:

People fall for celebrity & glamour Kardasian's, Jordan etc that's why an ugly faced dwarf like Messi who shuns the limelight doesn't even compare to his "global icon" image. Madrid signed him for the player he was and kept him on for the money he made them and Milan liked to sell t-shirts. His time at Madrid was hardly a huge success, the club made a ton of money at the time but i remember (i think it was Balague) saying the galactico's era was Madrid's worst era in terms of trophy's and points.

I'm not sure how much Alex Ferguson fell for celebrity when he brought Beckham through and kept him in one of the best teams Man Utd have ever had. And Madrid's lack of trophies during the galacticos era is hardly Beckham's fault; there are some all-time greats whose time there was hardly a huge success either. No-one is claiming he had the ability of players like Zidane or Figo (hardly any do), but don't try and make out he was merely 'above average'.

quote:

It's also funny that it's claimed he's ending his career on a high "helping" PSG win the the title. 1. PSG were 7 or 8 points ahead when he joined having spent a fortune and 2. he's played 9 league games 8 of which were as a sub

I think you may be taking his words there a touch too literally.

(in reply to Ultimo Lee)
Post #: 46
RE: Beckham - does anyone care? - 18/5/2013 3:08:12 PM   
Ultimo Lee

quote:

quote:

quote:

I'm not sure how much Alex Ferguson fell for celebrity when he brought Beckham through and kept him in one of the best teams Man Utd have ever had. And Madrid's lack of trophies during the galacticos era is hardly Beckham's fault; there are some all-time greats whose time there was hardly a huge success either. No-one is claiming he had the ability of players like Zidane or Figo (hardly any do), but don't try and make out he was merely 'above average'.

I didn't mention his career at United or blame him for Madrid's lack of success, he was just part of it. If anything Fergie was the first to see he'd taken his eye off the ball and that fame was what he really loved.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 47
RE: Beckham - does anyone care? - 18/5/2013 3:25:46 PM   
Saltire

quote:

quote:

And yet money-wise, Messi at 25 is not far behind Beckham, it shows you don't need to sell your soul, and give a bit of respect, Messi is the greatest player in the world, Beckham wasn't even the greatest player at any of the clubs he played for.

(in reply to Ultimo Lee)
Post #: 48
RE: Beckham - does anyone care? - 18/5/2013 3:31:53 PM   
Sonny Wortzik

Glad its over to be honest, but with the deal hes signed with sky hes still gonna have his face all over the tv.

He pretty much sums up society today in all fairness.

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 49
RE: Beckham - does anyone care? - 18/5/2013 3:37:49 PM   
superdan

quote:

I didn't mention his career at United or blame him for Madrid's lack of success, he was just part of it. If anything Fergie was the first to see he'd taken his eye off the ball and that fame was what he really loved.

You're missing the point. Beckham's 'love of fame' or ability to sell shirts is irrelevant when it comes to playing football on the pitch. And on the pitch, he was a bit better than 'above average', as evidenced by the fact he played under Ferguson for years, as well as under other well-respected coaches. Even Capello, who fell for Beckham's fame so hard that he dropped him from the Madrid team, eventually U-turned over him - in fact he did it twice, since he also brought him back into the England team.

quote:

And yet money-wise, Messi at 25 is not far behind Beckham, it shows you don't need to sell your soul, and give a bit of respect, Messi is the greatest player in the world, Beckham wasn't even the greatest player at any of the clubs he played for.

Messi's endorsements are nearly $20m a year. He is sponsored by, among others, Pepsi, Herbalife, EA Sports, Konami Cherry, Audemars Piguet, Dolce & Gabanna and Adidas. Quite how he has maintained his soul while Beckham has sold his is unclear to me. Perhaps it's all to do with the aftershave

(in reply to Ultimo Lee)
Post #: 50
RE: Beckham - does anyone care? - 18/5/2013 4:29:13 PM   
directorscut

Beckham being World Player of the Year runner up twice when he wasn't even the third best midfielder at Man Utd during those years is one of football's biggest jokes.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 51
RE: Beckham - does anyone care? - 18/5/2013 7:13:13 PM   
Skiba

quote:

quote:

quote:

Do i sit and watch it on a regular basis? no. there are plenty of better leagues to watch in the world. Have i seen enough to know the quality? Yes and also listen to people who watch the league and aren't blind to it's faults and lack of quality.

quote:

to a great player.

He was never great, i watched him more than 100 times live. He was an above average player who put in a shift, could cross a ball and once in a while score a great freekick. It sickens me that casual fans now seem to think he's some genius of football.

quote:

a brand in itself which has helped launch a football club like LA Galaxy onto the map but so what?

The Brand! that's what he should be known for. Him and his wife being the fame hungary, money whores they've been for a decade now. Advertising god knows how many things, raking in more and more cash and if he was all about football why at the age 32 did he decide to go to a 4th or 5th rate league instead of carrying on at a club that meant something? A big fat pay day? or did he say world peace or something?

quote:

Chris Waddle for several years has been one of the sane voices of british punditry, it doesn't surprise me he's the one talking sense among the usual morons and sycophants.

quote:

I wish there was a shaking head smiley, the above is hilarious. I'm now starting to wonder if i can come up with a top 50 players he played with who were better than him.

Please give it a go I'd love to see it

(in reply to Ultimo Lee)
Post #: 52
RE: Beckham - does anyone care? - 18/5/2013 7:46:38 PM   
Professor Moriarty

I didn't get to 50, but it didn't take me long to get half way there. Obviously everyone has their own opinions and perspectives, but I'd rather have these on my team than Becks.

Ambrosini
Cambiasso
Denis Irwin
Dwight Yorke
Eric Cantona
Figo
Gary Neville
Inzaghi
Karel Poborsky
Laurent Blanc
Nesta
Paul Scholes
Peter Schmeichel
Pirlo
Raul
Rio Ferdinand
Roberto Carlos
Ronaldinho
Ronaldo
Roy Keane
Ryan Giggs
Seedorf
Teddy Sheringham
Veron
Zidane
Zlatan

Anyway, kick off in 5 minutes against Brest. Hope he doesn't make a tit of himself

< Message edited by Professor Moriarty -- 18/5/2013 7:56:40 PM >

(in reply to Skiba)
Post #: 53
RE: Beckham - does anyone care? - 18/5/2013 8:25:13 PM   
Skiba

Sorry I misread...I meant a list of 50 PL players. Can't see how he wouldn't make it in that.

Your list is void as it has Poborsky in it

< Message edited by Skiba -- 18/5/2013 8:26:15 PM >

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 54
RE: Beckham - does anyone care? - 18/5/2013 8:37:27 PM   
Professor Moriarty

I knew he'd be contentious. I loved him skipping down the wings.

(in reply to Skiba)
Post #: 55
RE: Beckham - does anyone care? - 18/5/2013 8:55:19 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

Sorry I misread...I meant a list of 50 PL players. Can't see how he wouldn't make it in that.

Ok.

Pires
Scholes
Henry
Solkjear
Giggs
Vierra
Keane
Bergkhamp
Overmars
Shearer

Andy Cole
Dwight Yorke
Teddy Sheringham
Ljungberg
Van Bronkhorst
Hasselbaink
Lampard
Gerrard
Hamman
Owen

Fowler
Kewell
Viduka
Anelka
Ian Wright
Les Ferdinand
Zenden
McManaman
Poyet
Berger

Cantona
Merson
Ince
Kinkladze
Wanchope
Petit
Viali
Okocha
Youri Djorkaeff
Di Matteo

Rio Ferdinand
John Terry
Ashley Cole
Sol Campbell
Tony Adams
Jaap Stam
Desailly
Gilberto Silva
Dennis Irwin
Sammi Hyypia

Im sad.

< Message edited by OPEN YOUR EYES -- 18/5/2013 9:16:39 PM >

(in reply to Skiba)
Post #: 56
RE: Beckham - does anyone care? - 18/5/2013 9:02:33 PM   
superdan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Professor Moriarty

I didn't get to 50, but it didn't take me long to get half way there. Obviously everyone has their own opinions and perspectives, but I'd rather have these on my team than Becks.

Ambrosini
Cambiasso
Denis Irwin
Dwight Yorke
Eric Cantona
Figo
Gary Neville
Inzaghi
Karel Poborsky

Laurent Blanc
Nesta
Paul Scholes
Peter Schmeichel
Pirlo
Raul
Rio Ferdinand
Roberto Carlos
Ronaldinho
Ronaldo
Roy Keane
Ryan Giggs
Seedorf
Teddy Sheringham
Veron

Zidane
Zlatan

Anyway, kick off in 5 minutes against Brest. Hope he doesn't make a tit of himself

It's subjective as you say, but I disagree about all the highlighted ones.

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 57
RE: Beckham - does anyone care? - 18/5/2013 9:03:16 PM   
CORLEONE

Al Swearengen: "Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back".

(in reply to OPEN YOUR EYES)
Post #: 58
RE: Beckham - does anyone care? - 18/5/2013 11:36:40 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

(in reply to CORLEONE)
Post #: 59
RE: Beckham - does anyone care? - 19/5/2013 4:47:38 PM   
Skiba

quote:

ORIGINAL: OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

Ok.

Pires
Scholes
Henry
Solkjear
Giggs
Vierra
Keane
Bergkhamp
Overmars
Shearer

Andy Cole
Dwight Yorke
Teddy Sheringham
Ljungberg
Van Bronkhorst
Hasselbaink
Lampard
Gerrard
Hamman
Owen

Fowler
Kewell
Viduka
Anelka
Ian Wright
Les Ferdinand
Zenden
McManaman
Poyet
Berger

Cantona
Merson
Ince
Kinkladze
Wanchope
Petit
Viali
Okocha
Youri Djorkaeff
Di Matteo

Rio Ferdinand
John Terry
Ashley Cole
Sol Campbell
Tony Adams
Jaap Stam
Desailly
Gilberto Silva
Dennis Irwin
Sammi Hyypia

Im sad.

No sad...just wrong! No Zola or Collymore? Those I've bolded wouldn't get in a top 50 ahead of Beckham for me...some are legends at their clubs but have they had enough of an impact on the PL as a whole? I mean RdM and Vialli were massive players for my team but during pretty average times at Chelsea in the PL.

(in reply to OPEN YOUR EYES)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: Beckham - does anyone care? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI