Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Beckham - does anyone care?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> Beckham - does anyone care? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Beckham - does anyone care? - 5/12/2012 5:04:13 PM   
Professor Moriarty

Yes, I do immediately see the irony in me opening a thread about Beckham and then saying that I don't want to hear about him. Take it more as a chance to rant than an indication that I'm just fooling myself.

But pretty much every time I visit BBC sport news in the last couple of weeks their headline is "Last MLS game for Beckham"... "Beckham in talks with Monaco".... "'Arry wants Becks".... "Beckham to own MLS team".

I couldn't give two hoots. It seems like forever since he was playing in the PL, and another forever since he gave up playing at the top level to become a brand franchiser or whatever it is playing in a division where Robbie Keane is the best player they've ever seen. I'm sure he's a nice lad (even if he's not the sharpest and plays away as often as his team plays away), but please just make your mind up and do something. And also quit this bollox about how its important to David that he has another challenge, pretty much every move he's made in the last decade or so has been about promoting his image and pay cheque above playing football and winning trophies.
Post #: 1
RE: Beckham - does anyone care? - 5/12/2012 5:28:13 PM   
jonson

Well I care!
No, seriously, I must admit to being thrilled to see the photos of him with the MLS trophy, to yet again in his career prove the doubters wrong, to see out his 6 years in the US (most, including myself, thought he wouldn't) and to be honest, I actually don't think he did it for the money.
Sure, I doubt he would have gone there for £500 a week, but I do believe one of his main intentions was to raise the profile of the sport in the US, to try something different, to give his kids the chance to live in and embrace another country, and yes, admittedly, put Brand Beckham on the world scene (or at least America)
What I do like about Beckham though, is for me, he's been the most dedicated England player of his generation, bar none. I can't think of any players who would rather put the England shirt on than his own club's, but Beckham did. He's had some horrendous and unnecessary critisism over the years, but bounced back every time, held his head up high and finally won everyone over.
To read about his teammates chanting "1 more year" and seeing the fans with their banners (considering not that long ago they were telling him to go home) makes me really happy for the guy.
I genuinely like him, he's a good role model and a good Dad.
And to be fair, I don't think Robbie Keane is being touted as the best player the MLS has ever seen. He has been one of the best goalscorers in the Premiership over the years so it's not like he was shit anyway.

< Message edited by jonson -- 5/12/2012 5:29:02 PM >

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 2
RE: Beckham - does anyone care? - 5/12/2012 5:36:43 PM   
superdan

What jonson said.

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 3
RE: Beckham - does anyone care? - 5/12/2012 5:49:57 PM   
Professor Moriarty

People do care so maybe it's just me.

And this makes me look cynical to the extreme, but I think the genius of Beckham is that he makes it look like he is doing something for the greater good, when I still hold that he does it for the biggest pile if money and what gets him the highest profile.

Quite honestly I think the whole metatarsal thing was when I stopped caring about England as it was a circus rather than football. And I still contend it was about bloody time he'd got a free kick on target against Greece and his head down trying to do everything in his own nearly cost that match. But I can't fault that he wanted to play for England, or Team GB, or any profile enhancing outing. Funnily enough Ashley has quietly pulled on the England top so many more times (how many pity appearances did Beckham get?) and the overall reaction to him tends to be the opposite to Beckham.

I could pontificate about the stories of his dalliances to what a role model or great dad he is. I could meander about whether in a Beckham lifestyle the kids really see that much of a local culture wherever they are. But that's all rather out of order, so I won't.

Still, good luck wherever his next huge pot if cash is. I'm hoping he joins Davids at Barnet.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 4
RE: Beckham - does anyone care? - 5/12/2012 6:11:06 PM   
superdan

I don't read the tabloids so I know nothing about extra-marital stuff (nor do I care really), but there is no doubt in my mind he genuinely cared about playing for England beyond how it might have raised his profile. He was one of the most famous and successful footballers on the planet for years and I think it had little to do with him playing for England. I think you only need to compare him to the likes of Rooney and Gerrard mumbling pre-programmed platitudes about how playing for England is an 'honour' when they clearly don't give a toss.

I agree about Cole by the way, but I think his card was marked the minute he moved to Chelsea and made ill-advised comments about nearly crashing his car over wage negotiations. On the pitch he's been England's best player for years, and I think most fans acknowledge that to be fair.

Post #: 5
RE: Beckham - does anyone care? - 5/12/2012 6:45:01 PM   
Professor Moriarty

I get this horrible feeling that when I'm using Ashley Cole on my side of an argument I'm in a really bad starting place, but I'll give it a whirl.

Before Beckham moved to Madrid, wasn't there a whole thing about image rights with Utd? Basically he thought he was being underpaid. So, I kind of don't think that is so different to Cole. And wasn't he metaphorically and literally booted out of the club because his manager thought he wasn't delivering on the field as his head was elsewhere. So, Cole wins! And really it was just the start of an exodus of Arsenal players moving on for the same reason, cash and going to a team that would invest more and they had more chance of winning. Doesn't mean he's not a complete tit for "nearly driving off the road in horror at only being offered 60K a week though".

Let's get to the England stuff. I hear what you say about Rooney and Gerrard. I actually think its harsh, I think Gerrard is full of pride to captain his team. But I will accept that he's one of those players you'd expect to pick up a niggle before a friendly (honestly I can't remember if this happened to Becks or not). Rooney has clearly had his problems with England. You don't flick the Vs at fans and be happy wearing that shirt. To his credit I think he instantly regretted that, but still. I could go on to say that doesn't he have even more loyalty pulling on the shirt when he thinks he's getting booed and the fans aren't behind him and the team when he's trying his hardest. But I'm not quite sure how to verbalise that argument.

I may have to concede that Beckham did play for England to play for England (even if I contend that his other moves in football were motivated by money and prestige). But it didn't half get on my tits that he should have been selected for team GB, those days had gone.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 6
RE: Beckham - does anyone care? - 5/12/2012 7:19:53 PM   
Rinc

quote:

ORIGINAL: Professor Moriarty

I hear what you say about Rooney and Gerrard. I actually think its harsh, I think Gerrard is full of pride to captain his team. But I will accept that he's one of those players you'd expect to pick up a niggle before a friendly (honestly I can't remember if this happened to Becks or not).

To be fair to Gerrard he's always been more injury prone than Beckham.

As for Beckham, on the whole I think his number one priority has always been Brand Beckham. It's obvious he loves playing football but why move to LA and a poor league if he was so desperate to play for England? Why didn't he move back when playing in the MLS wasn't doing him any favours? Maybe he's stayed out there for his family which is fair enough but if he moves elsewhere now then I doubt it was because of his family.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:
[ color=#F1F1F1 ]text[ /color ]

Post #: 7
RE: Beckham - does anyone care? - 6/12/2012 1:12:59 AM   
Saltire

The most overrated overhyped 'player' (and I say that term loosely) in football history.

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 8
RE: Beckham - does anyone care? - 6/12/2012 8:13:02 AM   
jonson

It seems that most people's problem with Beckham is based on the money he has earnt. Personally, I don't give a shit. If he wanted to pay the best advisors to get the best deal for him, fair play.
That shows to me he's no mug, that's he's more intelligent than people give him credit for. he should be applauded rather than castigated IMO.
Again, as always, it seems such a shame we can't acknowledge success in this country once it has financial rewards. If the worst thing people can say about Ashley Cole is that he nearly crashed his car after being under-valued in his job (which if it were anyone else in any other kind of industry, people would be up in arms) The figure is irrelevent, but again, too many people in this country have chips on their shoulders as far as money is concerned.
It's a shame Beckham will divide people's opinions between "great player, British ambassador, football giant" and "overpaid, overhyped, overrated, pre-madonna"
We'll see over the next decade or so, but I don;'t think for 1 minute Beckham will rest on his laurels in retirement. If he's got half a brain he'll milk his (and his wife's) hard earnt celebrity status for all it's worth, increasing his wealth, doing more for charity and mkaing people happy.
In these days of instant celebrity, X Factor and all theother crap that goes on, which this current generation looks up to, I would use Beckham to my kids as an example of how working hard, putting that extra effort in, practising and practising until you've achieved near perfection reaps rewards.
If they happen to be financial rewards, that's an even bigger bonus.

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 9
RE: Beckham - does anyone care? - 6/12/2012 8:22:41 AM   
matty_b

I've always been a huge fan of Beckham. I think it's easy to forget the vile, vile stuff he (and his kids) were subjected to after France '98, and he came through it as both a stronger and better player and, even more remarkably, someone who didn't develop a chip on his shoulder about the abuse he got from playing for England.

I couldn't give a shit about tabloid rumours, and as naive as it might make me sound, I've always thought he came across as a genuinely nice and polite bloke who achieved a hell of a lot in his career and played for three of the biggest European clubs of all time.

I can't find any articles to back me up unfortunately, but I'm sure I read that Beckham's England captaincy and the way he approached it, helped bridge over the Liverpool/Man Utd divide that was allegedly doing a lot of harm to dressing room morale before he took over. I think he was a great servant for the national side, regardless of the 'pity' caps he got for trotting out in friendlies, and anyone who doesn't value what he brought to the team and the squad need only look at the shower of unceasing shit that Terry subjected the team to once he took over.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 10
RE: Beckham - does anyone care? - 6/12/2012 11:47:03 AM   
horribleives

I've got nowt against him but I've always thought it a shame he wasted his talent pissing about for five years in what is basically non-league football.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 11
RE: Beckham - does anyone care? - 6/12/2012 2:56:20 PM   
Russ Whitfield

What Matty B and Jonson said.

Rinc, didn't Beckham move to LA once McClaren had dropped him and told him that he'd never play for England again? I've not checked the dates, but I think that was the case at the time?

www.soldiergirlsmovie.com/
www.i-spimovie.com/

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 12
RE: Beckham - does anyone care? - 6/12/2012 3:39:44 PM   
HIM

quote:

ORIGINAL: superdan

What jonson said.

Yeah I agree with what you said Superdan.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 13
RE: Beckham - does anyone care? - 6/12/2012 10:15:13 PM   
Rinc

quote:

ORIGINAL: jonson

It seems that most people's problem with Beckham is based on the money he has earnt. Personally, I don't give a shit. If he wanted to pay the best advisors to get the best deal for him, fair play.
That shows to me he's no mug, that's he's more intelligent than people give him credit for. he should be applauded rather than castigated IMO.

I've got no problem with players moving and playing for money. It's a job and they are perfectly entitled to act how we all act in trying to earn more. I just take exception to people saying how much Beckham would've done anything to play for his country. If he thought he'd never play for England again then fair enough but he was back in the team a few months later and could have moved back to a decent league at any time after that to prolong his international career.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:
[ color=#F1F1F1 ]text[ /color ]

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 14
RE: Beckham - does anyone care? - 6/12/2012 11:06:12 PM   
Skiba

Beckham was publicly dropped from the England squad and Fabio had also dropped him from the Madrid team only for them both to come crawling back to him. By then, he'd already made the decision to go to America.

I believe that he moved to LA because he thought he had absolutely no chance of playing for England again. That was his main motivation by then. He'd pretty much won everything domestically, was obviously very rich.

He was a fantastic player who performed in big games, for England and his clubs.

Have a good time, all the time.

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 15
RE: Beckham - does anyone care? - 12/12/2012 11:01:16 PM   
Toby Monroe

I'd snog him.

Fit or Fugly score: 3/10

(in reply to Skiba)
Post #: 16
RE: Beckham - does anyone care? - 31/1/2013 11:13:54 AM   
Professor Moriarty

PSG then. Mrs can do some shopping and he can win another title.

(in reply to Toby Monroe)
Post #: 17
RE: Beckham - does anyone care? - 31/1/2013 11:21:42 AM   
Sexual Harassment Panda

I find that bizarre, I get that he'd want one last shot at the Champions League and playing at the top, but the French league just doesn't compare to some other leagues around Europe.

What makes it so unexpected though is all the stories of setting up a new life back in London and his boys all signing up for Chelsea's youth teams etc. I'm guessing we're going to be seeing him travelling via the channel constantly and spending most of his time in London still then.

I'd have been happy to see him playing for someone like West Ham or QPR (his argument that he doesn't want to hurt Utd fans by plying his trade for another EPL team is a bit pointless as I don't think any United fan would actually care and would probably actually like to see him playing in the EPL again). But I can understand him wanting Champions League football over a relegation battle, for his sake though I hope he's not opted for a bench warming role over the role of a pivotal player as this is definitely his swan song now.

Ole Gunnar Solskj�r - 1996-2007

Member of the MW2 Star 69 Club
Member of the CoD4 Mile High Club

Post #: 18
RE: Beckham - does anyone care? - 31/1/2013 1:07:20 PM   
horribleives

Surely if he was declared unfit after training with Arsenal he's not gonna last five minutes at PSG?

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to Sexual Harassment Panda)
Post #: 19
RE: Beckham - does anyone care? - 31/1/2013 3:55:03 PM   
Professor Moriarty

I particularly like how he has to move on deadline day so it gets some headlines. You are out of contract, you could join any time you attention-seeking cock.

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 20
RE: Beckham - does anyone care? - 31/1/2013 4:27:39 PM   
Flatulent_Bob

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sexual Harassment Panda

I find that bizarre, I get that he'd want one last shot at the Champions League and playing at the top, but the French league just doesn't compare to some other leagues around Europe.

Helicopter ride into work I reckon.

I think it suits him, as the intensity isn't there week to week, and he can still get himself up for one game every couple of weeks against top opposition.

I'm your huckleberry...

All the world will be your enemy, Prince of a Thousand enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Oh my God! They banned Kenny!

Post #: 21
RE: Beckham - does anyone care? - 31/1/2013 5:02:49 PM   
Professor Moriarty

Just when I think he's a giant tit, I have to go and take it back.

quote:

Beckham on why he has chosen to donate his salary to charity: "One of the reasons I wanted to come to Paris was we decided on something quite unique. I won't receive any salary. My salary will go to a local children's charity. That's one of the things we're excited and proud to do. It's something exciting and I'm not sure it's been done before."

(in reply to Flatulent_Bob)
Post #: 22
RE: Beckham - does anyone care? - 31/1/2013 5:11:20 PM   
Sexual Harassment Panda

quote:

quote:

Beckham on why he has chosen to donate his salary to charity: "One of the reasons I wanted to come to Paris was we decided on something quite unique. I won't receive any salary. My salary will go to a local children's charity. That's one of the things we're excited and proud to do. It's something exciting and I'm not sure it's been done before."

If that's true then my respect for the man has just increased infinitely, not that I didn't already have a lot of respect for him. What a brilliant example he's setting.

Post #: 23
RE: Beckham - does anyone care? - 31/1/2013 5:17:50 PM   
Professor Moriarty

quote:

quote:

quote:

If that's true then my respect for the man has just increased infinitely, not that I didn't already have a lot of respect for him. What a brilliant example he's setting.

The deep cynic in me says that its gonna be a dodge around the high taxes in France and he'll be getting image rights or something that are a much lower level than he'd be paying. But it still sounds bloody good and I so want to give the benefit of the doubt.

Post #: 24
RE: Beckham - does anyone care? - 31/1/2013 5:32:47 PM   
Sexual Harassment Panda

Another interesting aspect to this deal is it's length (til the end of the season). Is it indicative of Beckham's intentions to retire in the summer "one last challenge before I retire"? Or merely PSG only wanting to commit to a player of his age in the short term?

Post #: 25
RE: Beckham - does anyone care? - 31/1/2013 5:34:31 PM   
matty_b

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

The deep cynic in me says that its gonna be a dodge around the high taxes in France and he'll be getting image rights or something that are a much lower level than he'd be paying. But it still sounds bloody good and I so want to give the benefit of the doubt.

Even if he does, he still needs applauding for his actions. Great gesture.

quote:

Post #: 26
RE: Beckham - does anyone care? - 31/1/2013 5:38:27 PM   
Sexual Harassment Panda

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Even if he does, he still needs applauding for his actions. Great gesture.

I can't see it being tax dodging, money with tax deducted is still going to be more than no money or money that sits below a tax threshold.

I can see his image rights being paid by his sponsors to an English or even US bank account by their US/UK counterparts rather than to a French one however which will of course not be taxed to the same level.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 27
RE: Beckham - does anyone care? - 16/5/2013 3:07:25 PM   
Professor Moriarty

Looks like he's going back to the MLS then

David Beckham to retire from football

< Message edited by Professor Moriarty -- 16/5/2013 3:11:17 PM >

Post #: 28
RE: Beckham - does anyone care? - 16/5/2013 4:26:36 PM   
Ultimo Lee

He effectively retired when he took the money to join the muppet league 6 years ago.

The T-shirt saleman is no more.

Post #: 29
RE: Beckham - does anyone care? - 16/5/2013 4:41:34 PM   
matty_b

Reading the news on the BBC website and I watched this which made me sad -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22559461

Mainly because it's one of the few times in the last 15 years or so that England looked like a top team that could pass properly and with purpose.

quote:

(in reply to Ultimo Lee)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> Beckham - does anyone care? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI