Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Anne Hathaway On Catwoman Spin-Off

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Anne Hathaway On Catwoman Spin-Off Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Anne Hathaway On Catwoman Spin-Off - 5/12/2012 10:56:46 AM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
Hmm - 5/12/2012 10:56:46 AM   
Ulmaceae

Is this merely a plea to directors and script writers for a morally ambiguous antihero role? It doesn't have to be specifically Selena Kyle in Gotham, just a high end female tealeaf in a corrupt sprawling cityscape.

Something she can get her claws into. No, not claws...

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
please god no - 5/12/2012 12:50:41 PM   
purplegnome

I must be one of the only people on the planet who thinks the batman films that Nolan has made were total crap the 3rd being the worst of them all, the bloke hasnt made a good film since memento and do we really need another pointless catwomen film

Post #: 3
please god no - 5/12/2012 12:51:17 PM   
purplegnome

I must be one of the only people on the planet who thinks the batman films that Nolan has made were total crap the 3rd being the worst of them all, the bloke hasnt made a good film since memento and do we really need another pointless catwomen film

Post #: 4
wise up Anne! - 5/12/2012 1:28:01 PM   
eamonn_finn

seriously! Bursting into tears over a fictional character she played. Give that girl a slap

Post #: 5
Do It!!!! - 5/12/2012 1:30:39 PM   
spark1

warners screwed up not getting michelle p to sign up for a 'catwoman' movie 20 years ago.

they should not make same mistake again.

Post #: 6
RE: please god no - 5/12/2012 2:41:59 PM   
Dannybohy

quote:

ORIGINAL: purplegnome

Nope your not the only one!, I agree that memento is the only good films hes made and that appears to have been a fluke given his output after that!.

One of the many dire parts of TDKR was just how bland, unsexy and unconvincing cat woman was! was she even cat-woman! she could have been any old safe cracking hagg!!

< Message edited by Dannybohy -- 5/12/2012 2:48:19 PM >

'Man of Steel!,Man of Shit!' -fairyprincess

(in reply to purplegnome)
Post #: 7
RE: please god no - 5/12/2012 3:47:49 PM   
wesh

quote:

we seem to be in the minority.

(in reply to purplegnome)
Post #: 8
catwoman - 5/12/2012 4:08:27 PM   
king of the empire

i would have prefered either milla johovich, ali larter or siena guillory to play catwoman

Post #: 9
I actually think it's a very good idea. - 5/12/2012 5:28:09 PM   
Nicky C

The problem (among others) with previous Catwomen is that they literally became cats, which is dumb. Instead, use the cat as a mythological symbol and a model for behaviour, which they touched on but didn't take far enough in TDKR. I thought Anne was very good but the story was so epic in scope that there wasn't enough time to really get to know her. I'd happily spend a couple of hours learning hwo she got to Gotham and what happened that made her end up broke and in need of the Clean Slate.Outlaws are cool, especially when they're hot as balls.

Post #: 10
RE: I actually think it's a very good idea. - 6/12/2012 9:14:22 AM   
Dannybohy

The was nothing epic about TDKR! he just tricked some people into thinking it was....

(in reply to Nicky C)
Post #: 11
RE: I actually think it's a very good idea. - 6/12/2012 10:12:00 AM   
giggity

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dannybohy

The was nothing epic about TDKR! he just tricked some people into thinking it was....

...give it a rest. We get it. You dont like the film.

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 12
RE: I actually think it's a very good idea. - 6/12/2012 10:53:51 AM   
Dannybohy

quote:

ORIGINAL: giggity

quote:

...give it a rest. We get it. You dont like the film.

Never!!

(in reply to giggity)
Post #: 13
RE: I actually think it's a very good idea. - 6/12/2012 11:09:47 AM   
UTB

On the subject of Catwomen, I watched Batman Returns for the first time in ages yesterday and never realised just how good Pfeifer was in the role. Not necessarily in the catwoman scenes, either. Though she was fine in scenes like at the department store and kicking Batman's arse, there's a couple of scenes between Selina and Bruce that were incredibly intense and well acted, namely the scene at Wayne manor and the ballroom scene... classic stuff, especially the latter.

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 14
RE: I actually think it's a very good idea. - 6/12/2012 11:29:46 AM   
Dannybohy

quote:

ORIGINAL: UTB

On the subject of Catwomen, I watched Batman Returns for the first time in ages yesterday and never realised just how good Pfeifer was in the role. Not necessarily in the catwoman scenes, either. Though she was fine in scenes like at the department store and kicking Batman's arse, there's a couple of scenes between Selina and Bruce that were incredibly intense and well acted, namely the scene at Wayne manor and the ballroom scene... classic stuff, especially the latter.

Your not wrong! I just watched Batman 1989 last night, cant believe how many scenes where `borrowed` for Nolans movie. I`m looking forward to watching Returns before the weekend! MPs catwoman eats AH! and then licks her dirty paws! filthy pussy cat!. Devitos Penguin is also one of the most underrated villain performances ever.

< Message edited by Dannybohy -- 6/12/2012 11:30:23 AM >

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 15
RE: I actually think it's a very good idea. - 6/12/2012 11:58:26 AM   
jobloffski

Returns...gahhh...unwatchable arse. Burton, given free reign in this instance = a film that should have been called Burtman, so completely does it sink under the weight of Burton Tropes, weird outsiders who just want to be loved, unable to relate to normal people, embraced by the norms, then abandoned by them.

And if the film HAD to create a Citizen Kane vibe about lost childhood innocence leading to megalomania, surely it should have been a Citizen Wayne approach, not centring such associations on the Penguin (or at least not to the extent that Batman spent as much time just watching what was going on in his film as us?

Wont ramble on at my usual length, will just say I find Returns to be the second worst Bat-Flick after the Batman and Robin. And in both films, the inclinations of the director, given free reign, lead to the films totally losing sight of the point of their existence.

All opinion, of course, but I can't be the only one who basically sees Returns as over simplistic,over theatrical, self indulgently stylised to the point of being arctically cold, arse?

To get on topic, there is plenty of scope for an Anne Hathaway Catwoman movie or two. Just tell the story of how she got into the life she eventually hoped siding with the league of Shadows would help her get out of. It can get pretty dark, and has no need to impinge on Nolanverse Batman, but can, potentially be presented in a parallel timeline , outside Gotham, with, as stated by the Nolan films anyway, Batman's existence inspiring others to take up personas that reflect their character in order to both escape from themsevles and be able to live with themselves.

< Message edited by jobloffski -- 6/12/2012 12:02:56 PM >

Yes, dreamers dream and doers do. But if dreamers DON'T dream, doers don't have anything TO do. Everything that is only here because people exist, only exists because someone thought of it., or in other words, dreamed it.

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 16
RE: I actually think it's a very good idea. - 6/12/2012 1:20:39 PM   
Dannybohy

quote:

ORIGINAL: jobloffski

Returns...gahhh...unwatchable arse. Burton, given free reign in this instance = a film that should have been called Burtman, so completely does it sink under the weight of Burton Tropes, weird outsiders who just want to be loved, unable to relate to normal people, embraced by the norms, then abandoned by them.

And if the film HAD to create a Citizen Kane vibe about lost childhood innocence leading to megalomania, surely it should have been a Citizen Wayne approach, not centring such associations on the Penguin (or at least not to the extent that Batman spent as much time just watching what was going on in his film as us?

Wont ramble on at my usual length, will just say I find Returns to be the second worst Bat-Flick after the Batman and Robin. And in both films, the inclinations of the director, given free reign, lead to the films totally losing sight of the point of their existence.

All opinion, of course, but I can't be the only one who basically sees Returns as over simplistic,over theatrical, self indulgently stylised to the point of being arctically cold, arse?

To get on topic, there is plenty of scope for an Anne Hathaway Catwoman movie or two. Just tell the story of how she got into the life she eventually hoped siding with the league of Shadows would help her get out of. It can get pretty dark, and has no need to impinge on Nolanverse Batman, but can, potentially be presented in a parallel timeline , outside Gotham, with, as stated by the Nolan films anyway, Batman's existence inspiring others to take up personas that reflect their character in order to both escape from themsevles and be able to live with themselves.

Everything you said about Returns is what makes it so great....

(in reply to jobloffski)
Post #: 17
RE: I actually think it's a very good idea. - 6/12/2012 1:41:14 PM   
jobloffski

Then maybe what I experience watching the film is simple Burton Burnout, for him mining the same primary seam for his characters for close to three decades, forever casting even his high points, such as Edward Scissorhands as shadows of their former selves. He's, for me, long become the status quo of cinema, forever playing the same notes, to ever diminishing effect.

It's a shame I feel this way, because Ed Wood is always vying for the place of my favourite film, by anyone, ever. But then I think that film is made with a level of love absent from much of his output. And unfortunately, I find Batman Returns to be the peak of his imposition of self onto (non self originated) material.

But justification of opinion aside, I just don't like it. I don;t find it sexy, or exciting, and even after a long period of not seeing it and trying again, it still rubs me up the same wrong way, from the very opening with the Citizen Kane/Moses imagery that begins it, to the Bomb wearing penguins that end it.

I find Burton;s first effort much more engaging and love how it builds to Wayne's realisation that the joker killed his parents, with the music peaking and the look in Wayne's eyes telling me ''I am going to kill this man'.

Burton essentially shot his Batman bolt first time out. Then, for the delight of those who like it and to the irritation of those who don't, used Gotham as a playground for his principle themes, that began with Frankenweenie and recently returned to source with a longer 'Weenie (oo-er).

< Message edited by jobloffski -- 6/12/2012 1:42:35 PM >

Yes, dreamers dream and doers do. But if dreamers DON'T dream, doers don't have anything TO do. Everything that is only here because people exist, only exists because someone thought of it., or in other words, dreamed it.

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 18
RE: please god no - 6/12/2012 2:01:37 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

quote:

Nope your not the only one!, I agree that memento is the only good films hes made and that appears to have been a fluke given his output after that!.

One of the many dire parts of TDKR was just how bland, unsexy and unconvincing cat woman was! was she even cat-woman! she could have been any old safe cracking hagg!!

Wait, so you both don't like the director and clearly don't enjoy his films yet you still watch them all?

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 19
RE: please god no - 6/12/2012 2:28:03 PM   
jobloffski

Haven't watched a new Burton film for a few years now, not since Charlie and The Chocolate Factory. It was watching them all that caused the Burnout I referred to. I tried Returns again after the Nolan Trilogy got underway, to no avail for me. The Frankenweenie reference was a convenient reference to make. I enjoyed Burton films immensely until deja vu set in and that deja vu was felt even watching his older films again. It's not exactly a controversial opinion to suggest you know what you;re going to get with Burton, which is a bit too often Depp plus Mrs Burton.

Anne Hathaway Catwoman movie, yay!!!

< Message edited by jobloffski -- 6/12/2012 2:33:23 PM >

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 20
RE: please god no - 6/12/2012 3:46:49 PM   
Dannybohy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shifty Bench

quote:

quote:

Wait, so you both don't like the director and clearly don't enjoy his films yet you still watch them all?

And your point is?.
My best friend, bless his little bat cowl is among the deceived who rate the Nolan Batman movies, I watched them with him and we argued after every movie. I enjoyed parts of the TDK but only for Heaths performance! end of. I have actually seen them all more than once now as I always like to give a movie another chance.

Post #: 21
RE: please god no - 6/12/2012 10:44:36 PM   
Shifty Bench

All of Nolan's films, though? It seems a bit pointless if you don't like the work of the director. Each to their own, I guess.

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 22
Could be great with the right Script, Director and hear... - 6/12/2012 11:46:31 PM   
Rich Empire

As a fan of the universe Nolan created and HUGE fan of Batman it would be a hard task to follow what's gone before.
Though there is so much scope to develop her character and Hathaway did a spectacular job. I did wish she had more screen time in TDKR.
To give Selina a stand alone film it would have to be a great script and a great director, with equally matching cast members who can pull off a Superhero genre and not look foolish.
We've all seen what happens when a gift like this goes wrong.
The horror, the horror...

Post #: 23
RE: Could be great with the right Script, Director and ... - 7/12/2012 7:33:36 AM   
jobloffski

The good thing is there would be no need to try and top what is in the Nolan films. Since his version of Catwoman wanted out of a criminal life, the story here is a story of deeper and deeper descent into a world of crime and lawlessness in which she has to be an ass-kicker to survive, but not a superhero, and not always keeping herself safe. More like an agile female Bond than a traditional superhero spin off character, with essentially an implied story thus far that she wanted to escape her life hence the crime, and the crime didn't work out so well for her either. The story can exist in the 'realistic' Nolanesque world and presuming more than one film, maybe increasingly the League of Shadows can appear in the story or be hinted at, until it becomes apparent, more to us than her, maybe never stated outright, she is being 'groomed' to be the kitty kat to klaw at the eyes of the Bat (metaphorically) who exists in the story, set outside Gotham, and news from Gotham of the Gas Attack, the Joker, hits the news and has an influence on the craziness of the world outside Gotham.

Wouldn't just be a spin off, would be an expansion, a parallel tale, and who knows, maybe, without being too specific about it, certain future bat villains could be hinted at, intent on showing the Damn Batman he aint no thang. So when the one light in the world of Selina Kyle, the semi-inspiration for her persona of the Cat, goes out (events of TDK filter through, Batman is a murderer) and she can no longer secretly believe/delude herself she isn't behaving as badly as some of the people she rips off, she has to do very bad things to stay safe from those who would otherwise kill her, she is looking for a way out, and the LOS, hinted at in Catwoman films, maybe as puppeteers (or at least allowing people to think they're like the illuminati and controlling everything, even things they do not control, which is essentially 'using theatricality and deception'), offer her a path...she is free(ish).

Then her tale plays out in TDKR.

Could be different to the usual 'female kicks every male ass' type flick, and if she is increasingly in danger as the films progress, there's a natural reason for the 'nine lives' rumour about her and a natural progression towards what she is able to do in TDKR.

It can be done. And it can start 'real' and get increasingly 'comic book' just like the stories it would be happening in parallel to, which it would have to match at least in seriousness and world building, and ultimately be a braver type of film than a Catwoman would normally be, because it would have to, in order to fit the continuity, be a tale of a woman with ability, but who ultimately gets out of her depth. Although, given that her survival would be assured, she could be taken to some extremely dark places and the films could be gruelling, because crucial to them working would be although we know she will survive, she wont know this, and her character, presented accordingly, would give good acting options for cast and director. The Cat, intent upon bettering herself through abilities she has, steps into a dangerous world, and gets out of her depth, not because she is a weak woman, but because she has a heart, and via a particularly apposite character trait, can't quite 'do what needs to be done' to be a fully successful criminal, because she cannot escape the knowledge that actions have consequences that hurt others, and her cohorts not having this trait creates a potentially strong atmosphere/world in which to tell the story of the Catwoman who eventually betrays Batman...

< Message edited by jobloffski -- 7/12/2012 9:02:57 AM >

(in reply to Rich Empire)
Post #: 24
RE: please god no - 7/12/2012 9:23:48 AM   
Dannybohy

quote:

All of Nolan's films, though? It seems a bit pointless if you don't like the work of the director. Each to their own, I guess.

His other movies are just OK, his Batman movies are absolutely dire. How they get the praise they do is astonishing, not only did he steal most of the scenes from Burton's movie, they look awful, the designs and costumes (except Jokers) are dreadful, he cant film a fight/action scene to save his life , the dialogue is atrocious!! and TDKR especially was riddled with plots holes and character let downs that actually make a grown man cry and laugh out load! I mean really! when he turns up on the bridge at the end of the movie like hes just got back from Butlins and hands CW a magic computer program he pulled out of his ass!! give me a break. Nolan is the most over-rated director ever. The whole putting superheros into `the real world` is fucking absurd! , it pretentious dog shit. Batman isn't something from the real world any more than Superman is. In the real world someone would say "hey Bruce, what the fuck are you doing in that rubber onesie with your mums black curtain tied around your neck! and why the ridiculous voice? I know its you man". Batman should be in a created Gotham, in his own world, not plonked into the most mundane generic cityscape. The sooner they are forgotten and people move on, the sooner we can get a new Batman franchise! I hope Rocksteady open a movie studio personally.

I shouldnt of ranted here, sorry. I hope they dont spin off this Catwoman, she was unconvincing and not nearly as sexy as Michelle or Halle!!

< Message edited by Dannybohy -- 7/12/2012 9:29:51 AM >

Post #: 25
RE: please god no - 7/12/2012 11:19:20 AM   
giggity

quote:

quote:

His other movies are just OK, his Batman movies are absolutely dire. How they get the praise they do is astonishing, not only did he steal most of the scenes from Burton's movie, they look awful, the designs and costumes (except Jokers) are dreadful, he cant film a fight/action scene to save his life , the dialogue is atrocious!! and TDKR especially was riddled with plots holes and character let downs that actually make a grown man cry and laugh out load! I mean really! when he turns up on the bridge at the end of the movie like hes just got back from Butlins and hands CW a magic computer program he pulled out of his ass!! give me a break. Nolan is the most over-rated director ever. The whole putting superheros into `the real world` is fucking absurd! , it pretentious dog shit. Batman isn't something from the real world any more than Superman is. In the real world someone would say "hey Bruce, what the fuck are you doing in that rubber onesie with your mums black curtain tied around your neck! and why the ridiculous voice? I know its you man". Batman should be in a created Gotham, in his own world, not plonked into the most mundane generic cityscape. The sooner they are forgotten and people move on, the sooner we can get a new Batman franchise! I hope Rocksteady open a movie studio personally.

I shouldnt of ranted here, sorry. I hope they dont spin off this Catwoman, she was unconvincing and not nearly as sexy as Michelle or Halle!!

So much butthurt.

I'm pretty much done with debating with people about (non-existant) plot holes and things 'out of character', or the 'realism' of the series. But stealing most of the scenes from Burton's movie? You're clearly joking? Out of all the things you have said about these films, this is the one which makes me think you're trolling the most...

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 26
RE: please god no - 7/12/2012 11:27:10 AM   
Don_a_van

quote:

Dannybohy

JESUS T*TTY F*CKIN CHRIST, YEESSS! I thought I was the only one. I think you are now my new favourite person in the whole world. I really don't know how Nolan has done it, he's managed to convince the world that the sun shines out of his a*se but his Batman movies are total w*nk for EXACTLY the reasons stated above.

As for a new Catwoman movie, I never thought I'd say this about Anne Hathaway in a tight fitting leather outfit but this is a bad idea purely because I think the whole Catwoman persona is a bit crap to be honest. They can just about get away with it in comic world but I just don't think the characters works well onscreen without ending up looking like some cheap S&M fantasy.

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 27
RE: please god no - 7/12/2012 11:30:10 AM   
Harry Tuttle

Edit: Fuck it, I can't be arsed getting into this again.

< Message edited by Harry Tuttle -- 7/12/2012 11:35:23 AM >

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to giggity)
Post #: 28
RE: please god no - 7/12/2012 11:40:09 AM   
garvielloken

How does Bruce Wayne get back into a completely locked down Gotham after being in a foreign prison? That feels like a plot hole to me.

In reference to Dans point about Nolan stealing from Burton's films; can someone enlighten me on this? I honestly haven't watched either of Burton's Batman films in years so I can't think of anything Nolan might have stolen.

Exactly six miles north of Skagg Mountain in the Valley of Pain, there lives an evil devilmonster. His name is Bingo Gas Station Motel Cheeseburger With A Side Of Aircraft Noise And You'll Be Gary Indiana.

Razzle them, dazzle them. Razzle dazzle them.

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 29
RE: please god no - 7/12/2012 11:40:49 AM   
garvielloken

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle

Edit: Fuck it, I can't be arsed getting into this again.

Exactly six miles north of Skagg Mountain in the Valley of Pain, there lives an evil devilmonster. His name is Bingo Gas Station Motel Cheeseburger With A Side Of Aircraft Noise And You'll Be Gary Indiana.

Razzle them, dazzle them. Razzle dazzle them.

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Anne Hathaway On Catwoman Spin-Off Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI