Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

24 FPS!!!!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> 24 FPS!!!! Page: <<   < prev  5 6 7 [8] 9   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
24 FPS!!!! - 31/12/2012 4:33:37 PM   
ROTGUT

I’ll be damned if Jackson can squeeze yet another two more movies out of the obviously too slim storyline – and yet – and yet - you can’t help being swept away by the technical brilliance and sheer utter conviction by which this film is presented and made. The monsters look real, the forests are green and verdant – and Middle Earth looks like it really truly exists. And how come Sylvester McCoy wasn’t cast in the original trilogy? He seems tailor made for this sort of thing. 48FPS ? Who cares?

I saw it the old fashioned way in 2D 24 FPS and still found the whole thing to be a truly immersive experience.

FOUR STARS

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 211
RE: 24 FPS!!!! - 2/1/2013 12:12:09 PM   
jonson

Well, without wishing to critisise it too much, and the fact I don't have time, I'll make this quick.
I was really dissapointed, bored and it all felt like Jackson has cobbled together the silly bits that didn't make the LOTR films.

Good
Gollum - best scene by a mile (Riddles in the dark)
Martin Freeman - played Bilbo really well, even if he does just play himself
The first half an hour. I've read a few negative things about the first half hour but I thought it was really fun.

Bad
Everything else.
The rock giants. Boring action scene
That bit where the bridge collapses and slides horizontally down the mountain, with them all surfing it. Fucking stupid.
Dropping a ladder on the orcs heads and then running over it. Fucking stupid.
The Goblin King. His embarassing last line. Stupid.
The brown wizard. When he kept flying back and forth on his rabbit-sleigh trying to keep the nasty dogs off the dwarves.
The domino trees sequence. Stupid.
The rolling rock. Stupid.
The orcs. CGI. Cheap and nasty looking.
Lord Elron. He was awesome in the LOTR. Just seemed like a nice uncle in this one. Again, stupid.

I'll give it 3 stars because some of it was genuinely good, but the genuinely bad bits were cringe-worthy and perhaps some of the stupidest thing I've ever seen in a cinema.

< Message edited by jonson -- 2/1/2013 12:13:53 PM >

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to ROTGUT)
Post #: 212
RE: 24 FPS!!!! - 2/1/2013 12:15:05 PM   
shool

I thought it was ruddy brilliant.

My expectations were low after hearing the mixed reviews, however this enthralled and captivated me. I thought the additions of material that werent in the book were natural and not shoe horned in.

I'd give this 9/10.

Invisio Text for Spoilers
[ color=#F1F1F1 ] Spoiler text [ /color ] , remove spaces between square brackets

"No one knows what it means, but it's provocative... It gets the people going!"

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 213
RE: 24 FPS!!!! - 2/1/2013 12:22:24 PM   
LEEJGM

quote:

ORIGINAL: jonson

Well, without wishing to critisise it too much, and the fact I don't have time, I'll make this quick.
I was really dissapointed, bored and it all felt like Jackson has cobbled together the silly bits that didn't make the LOTR films.

Good
The first half an hour. I've read a few negative things about the first half hour but I thought it was really fun.

Bad
Everything else.
That bit where the bridge collapses and slides horizontally down the mountain, with them all surfing it. Fucking stupid.
The brown wizard. When he kept flying back and forth on his rabbit-sleigh trying to keep the nasty dogs off the dwarves.
Lord Elron. He was awesome in the LOTR. Just seemed like a nice uncle in this one. Again, stupid.

I'll give it 3 stars because some of it was genuinely good, but the genuinely bad bits were cringe-worthy and perhaps some of the stupidest thing I've ever seen in a cinema.

I pretty much agree with all of the above. Although I had no problem with Elrond but I hated the troll scene. I'd add Erebor to the good stuff, that place looked incredible. It was nice to go back to Rivendell too.
The main problem I found is that all the best stuff in it (except Erebor) we've seen before in LOTR, For me, the battles became tiresome, the characters were throwaway or just re-hashes of what we've seen previously and it was all way too long.
3 stars is about right I think.

< Message edited by LEEJGM -- 2/1/2013 12:30:14 PM >

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 214
RE: 24 FPS!!!! - 2/1/2013 1:00:15 PM   
BelfastBoy

On initial viewing, I was somewhat bewildered at the amount of 'deus ex machina' on show in AUJ, but then when I went back to the book, I had to accept that a great many of these were based on stuff from Tolkien (especially the terribly convenient arrival of the eagles). These things happen a lot in kids books, after all. (Utterly random example from HP & The Deathly Hallows - Harry, Ron and Hermione are trapped miles underground in Gringotts, but it's ok, because they can blast their way out riding a convenient dragon!) So, while Jackson & Co relentlessly seize any opportunity for an extended action sequence, the major set pieces are at least present somewhere in the book.

Structurally, The Hobbit should be a gift of a book to adapt, with a clear journey to a defined goal, lots of scope for adventure along the way, and an obvious villain in Smaug. Contrast with LOTR; while anyone who knows Tolkien properly will know that Sauron is not intended to literally be a huge floating eyeball, it's still seriously problematic when your main villain never actually appears directly in the source material. But, those films did a good job in presenting various 'waypoint villains' to create drama - the Nazgul, the Balrog, Lurtz, Saruman, Grima, Denethor, the Witch-King, Shelob, Gollum. But LOTR had an abundance of antagonist characters who could be developed more prominently as and when required. With (in the best possible sense of the word) a thin linear narrative, The Hobbit I think suffers from the lack of minor antagonists due to the terrible decision to go for three films. Smaug is apparently going to appear in the second film, but on the assumption that it'll be 2.5hrs+, it's not going to be near the start, is it? We still have to meet Beorn, get through Mirkwood and Laketown before even getting to the Lonely Mountain. That doesn't even take in whatever additions there'll be, imported from the LOTR appendices. Judging by AUJ's prologue sequence, I imagine the enmity between dwarves and elves will be expanded in films 2 and 3, with potentially Thranduil made more overtly nasty than the book would suggest. Other than faceless orcs/goblins, who else is there to stimulate drama? Here's a thought - what about if the book narrative is changed for the films, to somehow allow Smaug to survive into the Battle of the Five Armies? A problem from the book is always the utterly random nature of his death - Bard the Bowman, who he? No doubt the films will rightly seize the opportunity to show Smaug in all his devastating power and glory, so I think I could accept a more creative or exciting manner of killing him off.

(Excuse me while I clear my throat...Cough...DVD screener online...You know where to look...Cough...)

(in reply to LEEJGM)
Post #: 215
RE: 24 FPS!!!! - 2/1/2013 10:20:24 PM   
clownfoot

Whilst it's another film about a very long walk to a fucking mountain, I flipping well enjoyed it more than I was expecting. Good fun, like the book, and the excellent (unexpected party, trolls, riddles in the dark) kind of makes up for the mediocre (rock giants, escape from the misty mountains, a complete lack of understanding that no-one knows this is the one ring yet and is simply a method for making Bilbo a better thief). It didn't even feel like a close to a three hour movie and just whizzed by.

Although this could all be because it's the first cinema visit I've made since watching 'Hop' at Baby Cinema in March 2011, and actually going out on a date with the missus has made me all fuzzy and delusional...

Evil Mod 2 - Hail he who has fallen from the sky to deliver us from the terror of the Deadites!

http://www.thepixelempire.net/index.html
http://clownfootsinversemidas.blogspot.com/

(in reply to BelfastBoy)
Post #: 216
RE: 24 FPS!!!! - 3/1/2013 12:17:17 AM   
Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: clownfoot

Whilst it's another film about a very long walk to a fucking mountain, I flipping well enjoyed it more than I was expecting. Good fun, like the book, and the excellent (unexpected party, trolls, riddles in the dark) kind of makes up for the mediocre (rock giants, escape from the misty mountains, a complete lack of understanding that no-one knows this is the one ring yet and is simply a method for making Bilbo a better thief). It didn't even feel like a close to a three hour movie and just whizzed by.

YOU'RE NOT CLOWNY YOU'RE AN IMPOSTER IMPOSTER LIKE SPOILERS

< Message edited by elab49 -- 7/1/2013 10:06:39 AM >

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to clownfoot)
Post #: 217
RE: 24 FPS!!!! - 3/1/2013 3:20:30 PM   
BelovedAunt

quote:

ORIGINAL: shool

I thought it was ruddy brilliant.

My expectations were low after hearing the mixed reviews, however this enthralled and captivated me. I thought the additions of material that werent in the book were natural and not shoe horned in.

I'd give this 9/10.

I agree. Dont think it dragged remotely and it felt great to get another almost 3 hours in middle earth. Was fully prepared to feel let down but I thought it was thoroughly enjoyable.

(in reply to shool)
Post #: 218
RE: 24 FPS!!!! - 3/1/2013 8:04:33 PM   
Lisamoviegeek

I didn't watch Lord of the Rings, so I had no idea what to expect. It was long, but quite exciting. I had to go to the bathroom at some point when they were in the elves' valley. My friend joined me and when we came back they were fighting against some stone giants and Gandalf was gone in the next scene. I assumed he died, but then he turned up against when they were inside the mountains. What happened to him? Did he fall off the cliff, but still survived somehow?

(in reply to BelovedAunt)
Post #: 219
RE: 24 FPS!!!! - 4/1/2013 9:59:06 AM   
BelovedAunt

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lisamoviegeek

I didn't watch Lord of the Rings, so I had no idea what to expect. It was long, but quite exciting. I had to go to the bathroom at some point when they were in the elves' valley. My friend joined me and when we came back they were fighting against some stone giants and Gandalf was gone in the next scene. I assumed he died, but then he turned up against when they were inside the mountains. What happened to him? Did he fall off the cliff, but still survived somehow?

Elrond, Galadriel, Saruman and Gandalf were having a big long, boring conversation so the dwarves just left arranging to meet Gandalf at the mountain later.

(in reply to Lisamoviegeek)
Post #: 220
RE: 24 FPS!!!! - 5/1/2013 1:20:08 PM   
OpinionatedMovieGoer

Now I know that the Tolkien fan boys will love this film and think it'll be the best film of the year. Yeaaah...nooo...maybe? I went in wanting to see certain things and, while I got what I wanted, there were a few things that left be thinking "Oh...that's a bit stupid". Certain character such as Radagast the Brown (Slyvester McCoy) were just annoying and it does start off too slowly and drags a bit but once they get to Rivendell, things REALLY pick up!

Martin Freeman is great as the new (er...old?) Bilbo Baggins and it was nice to see old Bilbo (Ian Holm) in the prologue. Gandalf is my favourite character in this film because we get to see more of him here than we do in the first trilogy which means he gets some really amazing moments. Speaking of amazing moments, this film has them. Two of my favourite scenes are the 'Riddles in the Dark' scene with Bilbo and Gollum (Andy Serkis) and the EPIC ROCK GIANT FIGHT!

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey is a good film but it's a little bit underwhelming at times. I think there have been better films this year such as Skyfall and Looper but this is still a good watch. If you haven't seen it, I would recommend it but it's not a must see. It's just a good time. Now, how far should I run to escape the Tolkien fan boys because I'm sure they'll be mad that I didn't give this the utmost praise?

And for the record, I despise the 48fps. I really hope it doesn't become the industry standard. I takes away the immersive feel of the film.

Want to read some film reviews every other day? Why not check out my review site http://opinionmoviegoer.blogspot.co.uk/. Yes, this is a shameless plug.

(in reply to BelovedAunt)
Post #: 221
Too much of Nothing - 6/1/2013 10:54:24 AM   
smakris04

I understand that this trilogy was made just for the money but they could at least make it worth our money. It was just for the kids. They even got me to not care about Bilbo!

Post #: 222
RE: Too much of Nothing - 6/1/2013 6:27:46 PM   
Scruffybobby

So The Hobbit in 3D HFR, WTF or FTW? Actually a little bit of both. It's not nearly as horrible looking as some may have you believe but it takes a hell of a lot of getting used to. Some shots look fantastic in the format (big sweeping shots )but others look just "wrong" (almost on fast forward). Overall not nearly as bad as I feared. Still prefer the 24fps I saw in the Imax version though that may well just because it's what I'm used to

It's an enjoyable film that managed to hold my interest throughout and the "riddles" scene is just brilliant. But it's too long 2 and half hours to get just over a third of the way through a not exactly massive book is just a little bit of overkill. I'm willing believe that in expanding the narrative into three films Jackson is motivated by a desire to give us more and more because he loves the world he's working in and wants to share it (rather than purely by the dollar) But I do think that in this case less would be more.

< Message edited by Scruffybobby -- 6/1/2013 6:39:18 PM >

I want to taste you like yogurt.

(in reply to smakris04)
Post #: 223
RE: 24 FPS!!!! - 7/1/2013 10:02:34 AM   
clownfoot

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: clownfoot

YOU'RE NOT CLOWNY YOU'RE AN IMPOSTER IMPOSTER LIKE someone in a film where giving it away is actually giving away the ending,  muppet

That's what parenthood does to you Dev. Still, it's not like The Hobbit is anywhere near as good as Evil Dead 2 or anything though...

< Message edited by elab49 -- 7/1/2013 10:07:58 AM >

Evil Mod 2 - Hail he who has fallen from the sky to deliver us from the terror of the Deadites!

http://www.thepixelempire.net/index.html
http://clownfootsinversemidas.blogspot.com/

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 224
RE: 24 FPS!!!! - 8/1/2013 3:33:20 PM   
JayDubya

The film never failed to keep me watching and plenty of stand out moments (the trolls, goblin king and of course Gollum) however it was definitely too long. On more than one occasion I found myself sat there thinking "okay I get it, now get on with it!" The beginning is definitely the biggest problem, too much back-story and exposition which seemed to ground the film to a halt before it had even started. Also, not certain the book-end sequence with Frodo/Bilbo was really required, adding to which all returning cast-members from LOTR looked noticeably older than when we last saw them (with the possible exception of Gandalf and the obvious exception of Gollum) which is a bit jarring considering this film is set before LOTR.

Unlike the LOTR trilogy which benefitted from the Extended Editions, this could really do with an Edited Edition - just some selected snips here and there to make the film tighter.

(in reply to clownfoot)
Post #: 225
- 9/1/2013 11:48:00 PM   
danfacey711

I really expected this (and prepared myself for it) to be extremely mediocre and a sore thumb standing out in the Lord of the Rings saga - however, I was surprised.
Although this film is a lot lighter (in parts) this means a different tone, meaning different acting, and perhaps cheesier dialog. Apart from this and adjusting to the frame rate for the first 10 minutes, I found this almost competing with it's sequels. Martin Freeman was perfect, as was McKellen. Very excited for the next instalments and feel this film was a little too underrated.

Post #: 226
48 FPS,WHY? - 10/1/2013 2:17:28 AM   
Snake 4Skin

Just watched The Hobbit An Unexpected....yaddayadda and all I have to say is this; Why the hell do the cinema going public, now have to see their blockbusters played twice as fast? It's ridiculous! It's distracting and the most ironic thing is,it looks cheap. Why Pete,why?? As for my thoughts on the actual film itself,find out in the next part of this 6,no 60,no wait... 600 part review!!! Will be written @ .3 wps,or slower

Post #: 227
48 FPS,WHY? - 10/1/2013 2:17:38 AM   
Snake 4Skin

Just watched The Hobbit An Unexpected....yaddayadda and all I have to say is this; Why the hell do the cinema going public, now have to see their blockbusters played twice as fast? It's ridiculous! It's distracting and the most ironic thing is,it looks cheap. Why Pete,why?? As for my thoughts on the actual film itself,find out in the next part of this 6,no 60,no wait... 600 part review!!! Will be written @ .3 wps,or slower

Post #: 228
WeeReviews The Hobbit - 11/1/2013 12:37:11 PM   
weereviews

Overall the return to middle earth is a good one but not without its problems. Although the story and pacing can drag it down from time to time, the performances and immersive world mean you’ll struggle to keep your eyes off the screen until the very end. Its actually a shame that this trilogy wasn't made first as it seems the events and scale can never live up to what we have already witnessed. While it may not be as exciting as you expected, its still definitely a journey worth taking.

See my full review here and let me know what you think:
http://weereviews.blogspot.com/2013/01/the-hobbit-unexpected-journey-full_10.html

Post #: 229
RE: The Hobbit - 11/1/2013 8:45:33 PM   
Quint

Finally got round to seeing this and am so happy to be back in Middle Earth. The LOTR trilogy are some of my favorite films (I can watch them, the extras, the commentaries, any time), so I was very excited to see The Hobbit. It was a bit of a surreal experience in truth, and I think I need to see it again in 2D and at 24fps to really judge, but I had a wonderful time with it. It took some getting used to with the 48fps/3D but once I accepted it, the whole film was elevated to this insane visual experience that was at times akin to being on a roller-coaster ride (the misty mountain escape, azog's intro battle) while other moments felt like I was watching an intimate stage play (riddles in the dark). It was unlike anything I've seen at the cinema previously and really did feel like an 'experience' rather than just seeing a movie. The problem is, I feel like I couldn't enjoy the plot and character moments when they came as I was so entranced by the physical information being shoved at me. Because of this, I think I need to see the film again to really rate it, but as a first-time viewing experience it was fantastic fun and the spectacle was at times awe-inspiring. I'll give it 4/5 for now but that may change upon second viewing (I rate the LOTR films as all 5s).

My Art: http://adamwayneart.com/

(in reply to weereviews)
Post #: 230
RE: WOW - 16/1/2013 9:45:51 PM   
Drone

Saw this at quarter to midnight, 3D IMAX Gateshead - and after the FOURTY ODD MINUTES WORTH of adverts and trailers had finished....

Well, I am an LOTR nut. Obsessive. I own a One Ring I purchased from WETA, which I wear every day. I own multiple editions of the book, the nicest being the 50th Anniversary Edition I bought from the US. My loft is filled with Middle Earth reference books and anything LOTR I can get my hands on. But I have never been a fan of the Hobbit, and the film did not sway me.

Maybe my expectations were too high; but it was such a kids film in my opinion - you know what it made me think of? Remember how there was such furore about the "comedy bumbling robots" and such in the recent Star Wars films? That's how I felt about the Goblins and trolls in the Hobbit; all comedy cliched cockney accents and 'funny indignation'. It just didn't work for me.

I like some of the fan touches. The fact that Gandalf couldn't remember the names of the blue wizards - as a nod to the fanboys, as Tolkien never officially named them himself. Nice. Apart form that, I was utterly underwhelmed. It can only get better I guess, but when the bar is set so high by a forerunner, it's always going to be difficult. I was disappointed.

I'll still buy the extended edition Blu Rays when they come out though.

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 231
RE: WOW - 17/1/2013 8:48:04 PM   
Spiked

I'm watching this tomorrow night. The plot has been spoiled for me (thanks Twitter feed) but I'm still plenty looking forward to it.

(in reply to Drone)
Post #: 232
RE: 24 FPS!!!! - 19/1/2013 5:07:02 AM   
Phubbs

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

Well here we go again with another overly long grandiose epic based on some small unknown tale courtesy of a fat Kiwi. The much anticipated prequel trilogy (yes trilogy, don't get me started) to another somewhat well known literacy tale by some bloke called Token?.

'Far over the misty mountains cold, to dungeons deep and caverns old'

Yep this gorgeous line pretty much gives you the perfect clue to what to expect in this adventure, many caves and many caverns, dwarf country. From the off we are back in 'the Shire' and on very familiar ground as old friends are soon in the fold and we get another very useful eye catching prologue. The visuals straight away are much like an old pair of shoes, it all just slips back into place, you can see its a Jackson film, only sweeter this time.

Plot? errr its kinda simple, bit like 'LOTR', 'Bilbo' 'Gandalf' and a bunch of dwarves march off across Middle Earth (yep we're doing that again) to 'Lonely Mountain', the old home of the dwarves. There they will kick out the nasty dragon 'Smaug' (dragons have personal names? aren't they just creatures?) who took over the mountain dwelling from the dwarves in a really quite violent and unfriendly way. Why? beats the heck outta me, cos the dwarves had tonnes of loot inside the mountain and 'Smaug' wanted it all. Why would a dragon need tonnes of gold and jewels? is he going to buy himself a nice car? in fact why does 'Gandalf' care? on with the review!.

On the whole the entire film is pretty much as before with wonderful bold colours and imagination bursting from the screen in some sequences, and with dark shady doom and gloom in others. The detail again is superb with every last item you can see, location work is stunning (tourism on the up again) whilst makeup, sets and props are lavishly rustic and genuine. Weaponry stands out in this film as we see many nice swords displayed which do make you wanna own one yourself. But overall its most definitely a much much crisper, tighter, sharper affair all round, looking much better than the 'LOTR' trilogy as you would expect with time. Really I don't need to talk much about the visuals as its business as usual to be honest...but I will.

The only downside as usual with all these films is certain sequences involving the dreaded CGI monster. Yes skies, sunsets, landscapes, 'Rivendell', the 'Lonely Mountain' and hordes of orcs all look good in this format, but some things never change. The sequences involving the 'Warg' riding orcs still looked pretty rough and clearly fake just like the last time we saw them. These sequences really do look hokey to me I can't deny, like something outta 'Underworld', the same could be said for the sequences within the Goblin caves and the awful looking Goblin King.

I don't want to moan too much about this film as it was a solid entry but you can't help but find small issues. The whole Goblin caves section was pretty much another 'Moria' sequence really, it felt too much like deja vu. Plus the escape from the caves was really totally over the top with some quite ridiculous action sequences, very much like a videogame at times. Remember the elephant surfing 'Legolas' in 'ROTK'? yikes!. Did I mention how bad the Goblin King looked? oh yeah...what the hell was THAT about!? like an early concept for 'Jabba the Hut'...really!.

Didn't really like the whole tree climbing escape sequence towards the end either, that felt as though they had written themselves into a corner. Unsure how accurate this film is to the books seeing as I've never read 'The Hobbit' but that part really seemed kinda dumb. I'll just pop in that 'Azog' the orc chieftain looks more like a vampire outta 'Underworld' also, yes...I'm using 'Underworld' as a reference again.

To be brutally honest there are other elements that just seemed...pointless?. The character of 'Radagast the Brown' wasn't really explored much with no real reason to be there. A minor quibble as I reckon he'll be back with a chance for more explanations. The stone giants sequence seemed a bit irrelevant, unsure if its in the book but it felt like they needed something to fill that gap and add a touch of excitement. Oh and we have eagles saving the day again, boy those eagles are bloody handy to have around huh.

On the plus side apart from the visuals the dwarf company is handled well, cast well and perform well. I liked the variation on the characters even though 'Willow' crept into my mind. Was surprised to find out Graham McTavish was a dwarf seeing as the guy is about 6ft! his character was one of few that was a hardass, the others tended to be a bit dweebish, looked a bit goofy. What is it with the Scottish accents though? why are most dwarves Scottish? am I missing something on dwarf legend here?. Its just amusing that in these fantasy films its always Scottish or cockney accents hehe no problems, just an observation. I liked the dwarf names too, nice, very...dwarfish, but there should of been a mohawk dwarf in the company.

'dwarf scum'...'rebel scum' heh.

'Gollum' is back unfortunately, but hurra! he finally looks realistic apart from his Disney eyes medical problem, man that decision really mucks up his supposedly creepy looks. Some great facial expressions going on this time, really was impressed with the advancement there, but he's still annoying as hell with that fudging voice.

I must admit I feared the worst, I was reading the film is dull and stretched but I didn't feel it. I actually enjoyed this film more than a lot of the original trilogy. I guess it felt more adventurous as I had no clue what happens, never seen anything of it visually despite knowing how it would look after 'LOTR'. Its not quite as dark as 'LOTR', feels a wee bit more for the kids, hated the fact no dwarfs bite the dust (some must do eventually!!) but the fact technology has progressed is evident and makes most of the film truly memorable. Kinda makes you wanna whip out your Games Workshop miniatures and play, or Dungeons & Dragons, which ever way you role.

Still, the thought does spring to mind how on earth they will stretch it out over two more films. The first was gonna be sufficiently packed but I fear the second may well be reeeeally stretched seeing as the company is close to 'Lonely Mountain' as it is!. Lets remember this is only about walking to the dwarves old home and fighting a dragon, some films do that kinda thing in a standard 1hour 30mins. We will see, yesss we will see.

(in reply to ROTGUT)
Post #: 233
RE: 24 FPS!!!! - 19/1/2013 8:17:53 AM   
MonsterCat

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phubbs

a fat Kiwi.

Nice.

< Message edited by MonsterCat -- 19/1/2013 8:32:29 AM >

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to Phubbs)
Post #: 234
RE: 24 FPS!!!! - 19/1/2013 11:10:37 AM   
AndroD

When I saw it I was quite satisfied. Like the book,its intention was to lure kids into the fantasy genre so flaws were expected. But I found this movie as one of the best poor 2012 had to offer. Although I'm giving it 4 stars,Riddles in the Dark scene was below expectations

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 235
A fable for modern times, alright... - 20/1/2013 9:21:04 PM   
TheMightyBlackout

So an interfering geriatric press-gangs a contented homeowner into a travelling gang, to "recover" a kingdom which was little more than a glorified mining corporation, whose wealth was amassed by a mentally ill chrysophilist, instructing his employees to strip the valuable innards out of Middle Earth?

With capitalism like that as a starting point, it's no wonder Warner Bros want you to pay 10-18 for one third of a story...

More reviews and rambling like that ^^^ at: >>>WorldOfBlackout.co.uk <<<

Post #: 236
RE: 24 FPS!!!! - 20/1/2013 9:58:35 PM   
sanchia

quote:

ORIGINAL: jonson

Good

Bad
Everything else.

I would agree with most of that. The Sylvester McCoy stuff in particular feels very much like filler as did quite a few moments. A leaner film would have been much better in my opinion. The Orcs were too smooth and artificial looking and lacked much of the menace they had when they were not CGI. I don't really know if I am going to bother with the next two in the cinema as I didn't really gain a great deal from it this time.

Very much a nice looking film but at the same time very average and stretched out.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 237
RE: 24 FPS!!!! - 21/1/2013 11:06:18 AM   
BooooomxD

i was excepting a lot more of this film.
there was not enough "epicness" for me... in the lotr parts legolas was going in shooting down 10 orks with his bow and in the hobbit...
well they cant fight 3 giants with 12 ppl.... i dont like stuff like that...
hope the second one will be a lot better !

id give this 6/10

Great movie! Why download when you can see it online? http://adf.ly/3116004/freemovie

or simply pay for it! ;)
...enjoy!!!

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 238
Need to read this again! - 21/1/2013 6:06:11 PM   
giddig

Not read this for ages and really need to after seeing the film. Am thinking hardback with ace illustrations. Can anyone recommend a version that might do the trick please? There seem to be quite few options out there!

Thank you kindly.

(in reply to ROTGUT)
Post #: 239
The Hobbit - 24/1/2013 9:28:07 AM   
Catwoman20

I really enjoyed the film with my dad and he waited a long time to see it.

Post #: 240
Page:   <<   < prev  5 6 7 [8] 9   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> 24 FPS!!!! Page: <<   < prev  5 6 7 [8] 9   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI