Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

'Horrendous Stakes': The Official Thread About 'Horrendous Stakes' by Emmanuel Nsahlai

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> 'Horrendous Stakes': The Official Thread About 'Horrendous Stakes' by Emmanuel Nsahlai Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
'Horrendous Stakes': The Official Thread About 'Horrend... - 4/12/2012 10:37:52 PM   
Olaf

"Special operations agent Dickson had the grave misfortune of stumbling on one who was not only a bomber but also a killer. The bomber was as good in bombs and explosives as he was in the techniques of killing. In short, he was a bomber-killer."

So I've recently been reading this book 'Horrendous Stakes', by the up-and-coming young author Emmanuel Nsahlai. Without wanting to give too much away, it's about two Mafia families at all-out war and one Mafia family (a different one) in a fiendish plot. Against the other two warring Mafia families, that is. Through his sparkling prose, Nsahlai weaves together multiple plot strands, like one love triangle by sons and daughter of the two warring Mafia families and many FBI investigations, into this gritty tale of mobster life. (There are at least nine things going on this book, one of which is the titular stakes.)

Either way, I felt that this book was too important to be ignored in the Bookworms subforum so I thought I would post it here to share my thoughts. It has relevance in all of our lives, especially those of us who are mobsters.

Here's a link to the Amazon page for it, since I'd imagine you're currently looking to read it having got this far - http://www.amazon.com/Horrendous-Stakes-ebook/dp/B008UO9LYO I believe Nsahlai's unmatched way with words and strong eye for detail makes him worthy of being one of our most cherished wordsmiths, and I hope this thread inspires much positive and exciting discussion. Thanks.

< Message edited by Olaf -- 4/12/2012 10:58:05 PM >

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE
Post #: 1
RE: 'Horrendous Stakes': The Official Thread About 'Hor... - 4/12/2012 10:39:03 PM   
Rgirvan44

Before I purchase, do you happen to know how many Mafia are in the book and other vital details?

Thanks.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 2
RE: 'Horrendous Stakes': The Official Thread About 'Hor... - 4/12/2012 10:40:00 PM   
homersimpson_esq

I will only buy this book if it has a bomber in it who is also a killer. I hope you can help.

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 3
RE: 'Horrendous Stakes': The Official Thread About 'Hor... - 4/12/2012 10:40:25 PM   
Olaf

I can't give you an exact number of Mafia in this book, but I can tell you that there are 1000 Dead Bodies. and 25 explosions, which is a lot.

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 4
RE: 'Horrendous Stakes': The Official Thread About 'Hor... - 4/12/2012 10:43:43 PM   
elab49

Does the godly lady in it have sexual organs? And are there kangaroos?

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 5
RE: 'Horrendous Stakes': The Official Thread About 'Hor... - 4/12/2012 10:44:33 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: Olaf

I can't give you an exact number of Mafia in this book, but I can tell you that there are 1000 Dead Bodies. and 25 explosions, which is a lot.

That is very helpful information.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 6
RE: 'Horrendous Stakes': The Official Thread About 'Hor... - 4/12/2012 10:47:56 PM   
homersimpson_esq

IT HAS A DRAGON FIRE LADY AND A SKYSCRAPER THE UPPER FLOORS OF WHICH ROTATE AND A GUY WHO IS SUPER AND AWESOME IN HIS EVIL DEEDS, SUPER-AWESOME EVEN.

I HEART THIS BOOK BECAUSE REASONS.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 7
RE: 'Horrendous Stakes': The Official Thread About 'Hor... - 4/12/2012 10:54:35 PM   
Olaf

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

I think you've mixed this book up with 'True History of the Kelly Gang' by Peter Carey. An understandable mistake.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 8
RE: 'Horrendous Stakes': The Official Thread About 'Hor... - 4/12/2012 11:10:59 PM   
Deviation

quote:

I believe she's called Lolita in the book. She doesn't sound like trouble in any way and she has very nice abs.

< Message edited by Deviation -- 4/12/2012 11:11:28 PM >

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 9
RE: 'Horrendous Stakes': The Official Thread About 'Hor... - 4/12/2012 11:19:59 PM   
elab49

quote:

quote:

I think you've mixed this book up with 'True History of the Kelly Gang' by Peter Carey. An understandable mistake.

Damn. Just imagine if you could get bombers who were killers and also bombers but who could also leap like kangaroos (the ones from the wilds of Australia) all in the same book!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 10
RE: 'Horrendous Stakes': The Official Thread About 'Hor... - 4/12/2012 11:26:45 PM   
Olaf

quote:

quote:

quote:

Damn. Just imagine if you could get bombers who were killers and also bombers but who could also leap like kangaroos (the ones from the wilds of Australia) all in the same book!

I think it would almost certainly be THE GREATEST BOOK OF ALL TIME. until the day it is written however, 'Horrendous Stakes' holds that title.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 11
RE: 'Horrendous Stakes': The Official Thread About 'Hor... - 5/12/2012 11:51:54 AM   
Pigeon Army

quote:

Are those exact numbers? Because if they aren't, you know that's false advertising. I'll be counting.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc
She's supposed to be 13! I'd want her to be very attractive though

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat
quote:

ORIGINAL: Pigeon Army
Stop being mean to Deviation

No.

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 12
RE: 'Horrendous Stakes': The Official Thread About 'Hor... - 5/12/2012 12:02:58 PM   
Invader_Ace

How are there no reviews on this bad boy?!

Get this mutha trending fellas!  I would, but I don't have an eReader as they are tools of Satan, but you guys should this sounds immense.

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 13
RE: 'Horrendous Stakes': The Official Thread About 'Hor... - 5/12/2012 1:12:33 PM   
Rhubarb

quote:

ORIGINAL: Invader_Ace

How are there no reviews on this bad boy?!

Get this mutha trending fellas! I would, but I don't have an eReader as they are tools of Satan, but you guys should this sounds immense.

I didn't untill I wanted this book. In terms of money for explosions, what a bargin.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

You organisational skills sicken me, Rhubarb.

(in reply to Invader_Ace)
Post #: 14
RE: 'Horrendous Stakes': The Official Thread About 'Hor... - 5/12/2012 1:27:22 PM   
great_badir

quote:

quote:

Are those exact numbers? Because if they aren't, you know that's false advertising. I'll be counting.

They probs are - I've just skim-read the available pages, and it seems the author loves specifics. In the first few pages alone, we get a run down of exactly how many law enforcement officers have arrived from each different department, and there are also a few specific time checks.

Further, there are quotes from well known authors, so Emmanuel is clearly well read.

I had to Google the author, just out of curiosity - it's this chap - http://www.fgmasylum.com/?page=author. A man of many talents, it seems.

Maybe he'll grace us with his presence a la Tom Motherfucking Urie...

< Message edited by great_badir -- 5/12/2012 1:29:12 PM >

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to Pigeon Army)
Post #: 15
RE: 'Horrendous Stakes': The Official Thread About 'Hor... - 6/12/2012 10:05:38 AM   
Invader_Ace

quote:

ORIGINAL: great_badir
They probs are - I've just skim-read the available pages,

Available Pages?!  Where?  I just keep finding blurb.

This is the story about the most brutal private war the world has ever seen. This is also a story of love so powerful it will make you cry. A story about love, hate, betrayal, violence, death and war. This is THE story of that golden age of mafia terror, horror and violence a state where the stakes were horrendous every bloody step of the way. A state where love somehow managed to co-exist with war

(in reply to great_badir)
Post #: 16
RE: 'Horrendous Stakes': The Official Thread About 'Hor... - 6/12/2012 10:22:14 AM   
elab49

quote:

quote:

quote:

They probs are - I've just skim-read the available pages, and it seems the author loves specifics. In the first few pages alone, we get a run down of exactly how many law enforcement officers have arrived from each different department, and there are also a few specific time checks.

Further, there are quotes from well known authors, so Emmanuel is clearly well read.

I had to Google the author, just out of curiosity - it's this chap - http://www.fgmasylum.com/?page=author. A man of many talents, it seems.

Maybe he'll grace us with his presence a la Tom Motherfucking Urie...

Or he's looked at one of those websites where you think up a topic and look up quotes on it.

You should read the detail of the wooden furniture the five meet at.

quote:

Post #: 17
RE: 'Horrendous Stakes': The Official Thread About 'Hor... - 6/12/2012 10:33:24 AM   
Pigeon Army

quote:

FGMAsylum?

He writes about female genital mutilation?

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc
She's supposed to be 13! I'd want her to be very attractive though

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat
quote:

Stop being mean to Deviation

No.

Post #: 18
RE: 'Horrendous Stakes': The Official Thread About 'Hor... - 6/12/2012 10:52:13 AM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

ORIGINAL: Invader_Ace

quote:

They probs are - I've just skim-read the available pages,

Available Pages?! Where? I just keep finding blurb.

Click "Look Inside". There's a fair chunk of amazing literature concealed within.

Bristol Bad Film Club

Post #: 19
RE: 'Horrendous Stakes': The Official Thread About 'Hor... - 6/12/2012 11:40:21 AM   
Olaf

quote:

quote:

FGMAsylum?

He writes about female genital mutilation?

Indeed, he wrote a book about it

(in reply to Pigeon Army)
Post #: 20
RE: 'Horrendous Stakes': The Official Thread About 'Hor... - 6/12/2012 12:58:56 PM   
Invader_Ace

I saw that too.

Unfortunate wording.

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 21
RE: 'Horrendous Stakes': The Official Thread About 'Hor... - 6/12/2012 6:39:46 PM   
Invader_Ace

Do you know Horrendous?If you know Horrendous, send him a friend request or message him.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100004719789452&fref=ts

Post #: 22
RE: 'Horrendous Stakes': The Official Thread About 'Hor... - 10/12/2012 1:12:56 PM   
clownfoot

I imagined Fred Savage and Peter Falk in the prologue.

Evil Mod 2 - Hail he who has fallen from the sky to deliver us from the terror of the Deadites!

http://www.thepixelempire.net/index.html
http://clownfootsinversemidas.blogspot.com/

Post #: 23
RE: 'Horrendous Stakes': The Official Thread About 'Hor... - 10/12/2012 10:04:29 PM   
Sledge Hammer

I will also recommend the book "Horrendous Steaks" by Egon Ronay.

Its a book about a young restaurant critic who travels around the midlands reviewing Harvester restaurants. Sample Dialogue:

"Have you been to a Harvester before?"

"Fuck you and your the fucking veloute you rode in on. Table for 1 please and no bread rolls. Fucker"

There are precisely 32 reviews, 8 porterhouse, 4 popseye, 17 skirt steaks and 3 incidents about Bearnaise sauce.

new sports forum - http://www.606v2.com

Check it out!

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 24
RE: 'Horrendous Stakes': The Official Thread About 'Hor... - 12/12/2012 1:21:53 PM   
great_badir

There's also 'Horrendous Stakes' by Norm Abram, which is a large reference book (over 10000 pages in length) reviewing all the worst wooden stakes that have been made since records began. The book includes loads of technical specs (type of wood used, dimensions of finished stake compared to the source chunk, heaviness and complexity of grain, weather proof capabilities, intention of use - fence/scarecrow/signpost/killing vampires - etc etc etc) and is the standard bearer of books about badly made stakes.

Going back to Emmanuel Nsahlai for a minute - 'Female Genital Mutilation 2: Minge Masher' is a cracking sequel. One hopes it'll be turned into a film.

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to Sledge Hammer)
Post #: 25
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> 'Horrendous Stakes': The Official Thread About 'Horrendous Stakes' by Emmanuel Nsahlai Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI