Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: What would you like to see Quentin Tarantino do with his remaining films?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: What would you like to see Quentin Tarantino do with his remaining films? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: What would you like to see Quentin Tarantino do wit... - 4/12/2012 2:39:26 PM   
Don_a_van

What would I like to see Quentin Tarantino do with his remaining films? How about some films where he doesn't disappear up his own a*se?

His earlier films are ace but some of his later output has been atrocious, simply because I feel he started to believe his own hype. Self gratifying ego-w*nk trips do not a good movie make!

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 31
RE: What would you like to see Quentin Tarantino do wit... - 4/12/2012 3:25:56 PM   
Brundlesflies

quote:

ORIGINAL: jcthefirst
I'll tell you what (Death Proof) definately is though:

Shit.

^
This

"The Daily Mail isn't technically a newspaper, more a serialised Necronomicon." C. Brooker
My DVD's

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 32
RE: What would you like to see Quentin Tarantino do wit... - 4/12/2012 6:54:07 PM   
bozo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Whistler

quote:

ORIGINAL: bozo

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: homersimpson_esq

Yep, Death Proof is a horror. It's more in the vein of say Henry Portrait of a Serial Killer than Dawn of the Dead, but it's still a horror.

You're all crazy.
So every film with a killer who murders 'kids' is a slasher horror film?

wikipedia: Death Proof is a 2007 American action thriller film written and directed by Quentin Tarantino.

imdb also lists it as an action thriller

Grindhouse film does not necessarily mean horror film. I think Death Proof is Tarantino's homage to carsploitation films like Vanishing Point and Death Race 2000, rather than to Halloween and Friday 13th. Don't you think?

It's an action/thriller as well as a horror.

The killer's identity is not concealed in any way. He doesn't pick his victims one by one. There is no Final Girl. All four girls from the second group survive. We learn nothing of the killer's past or motives.
This is not a slasher film.

Obviously it's not a slasher in the generic sense, but nobody has argued that it is.

So it's a slasher in a specific sense?

We're obviously not going to agree here. For me it's a contortion of the slasher/horror genre, while also being an aforementioned action/thriller. There's no rule book that says: "slasher films must have this that and the other". Slasher is just a flexible subgenre of horror that usually refers to real life killings rather than something supernatural, and all Death Proof does is take that subgenre and twist it about.

I guess we won't agree about that. As Tarantino himself said, slasher is an incredibly rigid subgenre. It has a formula and everything. You might just as well say that Silence of the Lambs is a slasher film. But it isn't.
Anyway, Peace

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 33
RE: What would you like to see Quentin Tarantino do wit... - 5/12/2012 9:51:36 PM   
Darth Marenghi

quote:

ORIGINAL: Don_a_van

His earlier films are ace but some of his later output has been atrocious, simply because I feel he started to believe his own hype.

No - this is incorrect. Tarantino always believed his own hype.

Invisible Text for SPOILERS: "color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color" , then change the quotation marks to square brackets.

(in reply to Don_a_van)
Post #: 34
RE: What would you like to see Quentin Tarantino do wit... - 6/12/2012 12:14:59 PM   
will1000

I might be the only one, but I'd like him to direct one of the new Star Wars films...

(in reply to Darth Marenghi)
Post #: 35
RE: What would you like to see Quentin Tarantino do wit... - 6/12/2012 1:07:23 PM   
Rhubarb

I just like him to get around to making a good movie "tbh"

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

You organisational skills sicken me, Rhubarb.

(in reply to will1000)
Post #: 36
RE: What would you like to see Quentin Tarantino do wit... - 6/12/2012 1:58:44 PM   
denise123

Lets not forget here that QT has almost created a new movie genre over the last 15 odd years.
Clearly some have been better than others, but there is a definitely a certain style that has become a subject of much entertainment and discussions, not to mention the focus of University / College media topics.

There has not really been anyone else that influential that has made such a difference to film in the last 20 years.

There are some that keep to a certain style, but none that have had quite the same impact, for instance Eli Roth and M.Night Shamaylan.
He has given us some iconic movies, scenes and characters that will remain in many people's top 10 for years to come and re-established many careers that might otherwise have dwindled into oblivion.

I am not a fan of all of his movies and totally understand some of the criticism towards his own self worth. However you cannot deny his creativity and originality and his unique style of movie making.

Saying that Death Proof was a pile of shite!

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 37
RE: What would you like to see Quentin Tarantino do wit... - 6/12/2012 2:44:55 PM   
Rhubarb

quote:

ORIGINAL: denise123

Lets not forget here that QT has almost created a new movie genre over the last 15 odd years.

Not really.

quote:

Clearly some have been better than others, but there is a definitely a certain style that has become a subject of much entertainment and discussions, not to mention the focus of University / College media topics.

i.e he's been an autuer, and there have been many of them.

quote:

There has not really been anyone else that influential that has made such a difference to film in the last 20 years.

Cue Nolan fanboys in 5...4...

quote:

There are some that keep to a certain style, but none that have had quite the same impact, for instance Eli Roth and M.Night Shamaylan.

lol those legends.

quote:

He has given us some iconic movies, scenes and characters that will remain in many people's top 10 for years to come and re-established many careers that might otherwise have dwindled into oblivion.

Yes, John Travolta is doing well for himself now.

quote:

Saying that Death Proof was a pile of shite!

Yeaaaaaaaaaaaah.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

You organisational skills sicken me, Rhubarb.

(in reply to denise123)
Post #: 38
RE: What would you like to see Quentin Tarantino do wit... - 7/12/2012 12:27:53 PM   
Cool Breeze

Most amusing thing about this months wankfest...sorry, REVIEW of the Tarantino box set in this months edition of the mag is QT's claim that he wants to retire before he makes a bad film..

Whoops! Too late QT, you made Death Proof!

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 39
RE: What would you like to see Quentin Tarantino do wit... - 7/12/2012 12:39:13 PM   
Whistler

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze

Most amusing thing about this months wankfest...sorry, REVIEW of the Tarantino box set in this months edition of the mag is QT's claim that he wants to retire before he makes a bad film..

So is every other edition of Empire a wankfest for something or other, or is it just when it's about QT?

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 40
RE: What would you like to see Quentin Tarantino do wit... - 7/12/2012 12:55:48 PM   
matty_b

No, it's only a wankfest when it's something he doesn't like.

quote:

Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 41
RE: What would you like to see Quentin Tarantino do wit... - 7/12/2012 1:10:43 PM   
AxlReznor

I'd like him to come full circle and give us one last crime movie. But not before giving us the promised Kill Bill follow-up.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 42
RE: What would you like to see Quentin Tarantino do wit... - 7/12/2012 2:15:00 PM   
Cool Breeze

No more Kill Bill thanks.The story is done and dusted since SPOILER ALERT Bill is dead.

He needs to never put his mate Eli Roth in one of his films ever again.

He needs to realise that freeze framing a character with their name plastered over the screen in big letters is not cool.

He needs someone in the editing room to stand up to him and tell him that he has to cut some stuff out.

Im being hard on the guy but i do think hes talented.Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction, and Jackie Brown are excellent films but hes lost his way since then and id like to see him get back to the quality of his early work.I have high hopes for Django Unchained.

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 43
RE: What would you like to see Quentin Tarantino do wit... - 7/12/2012 2:39:20 PM   
horribleives

Travolta may not be doing much these days but it doesn't change the fact that as a direct result of Pulp Fiction he became, for want of a better term, an A-Llister again for a good few years.

Anyway, I'd like to see Tarantino return to a small-scale contemporary-set story next. Doubt it'll ever happen but I'm still holding out for a semi-sequel to Reservoir Dogs, set twenty years on in which an ageing and bitter Mr Pink is released from prison and struggles to adjust to both the modern criminal underground and the fact that in 2013 everyone from airport security staff to the acne-riddled stoner serving you in Macdonalds expects a tip.

< Message edited by horribleives -- 7/12/2012 2:44:05 PM >

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 44
RE: What would you like to see Quentin Tarantino do wit... - 7/12/2012 3:06:44 PM   
SwozTheRevenge

quote:

No more Kill Bill thanks.The story is done and dusted since SPOILER ALERT Bill is dead.

He needs to never put his mate Eli Roth in one of his films ever again.

He needs someone in the editing room to stand up to him and tell him that he has to cut some stuff out.

Im being hard on the guy but i do think hes talented.Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction, and Jackie Brown are excellent films but hes lost his way since then and id like to see him get back to the quality of his early work.I have high hopes for Django Unchained.

Absolutely

quote:

He needs to realise that freeze framing a character with their name plastered over the screen in big letters is not cool.

GET OUT

< Message edited by SwozTheRevenge -- 7/12/2012 3:07:40 PM >

@ChairmanBLAOW

Post #: 45
RE: What would you like to see Quentin Tarantino do wit... - 7/12/2012 3:59:25 PM   
Chronicle

No real preferences, I trust the guy. But it would be cool if he tries another totally different genre like he did in his previous films.

(in reply to SwozTheRevenge)
Post #: 46
RE: What would you like to see Quentin Tarantino do wit... - 8/12/2012 9:18:24 PM   
bozo

quote:

Death Proof is awesome. Is it possible Tarantino himself does not think it's a bad film? Like millions of people worldwide?

Post #: 47
RE: What would you like to see Quentin Tarantino do wit... - 8/12/2012 11:43:29 PM   
Mister Coe

I'd love to see QT do a real men-on-a-mission movie like THEWILD GEESE or WHERE EAGLES DARE... he sort-of promised it with INGLORIOUS BASTERDS, but he didn't deliver...

Say what now?

(in reply to bozo)
Post #: 48
RE: What would you like to see Quentin Tarantino do wit... - 9/12/2012 12:21:48 AM   
jackcarter

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mister Coe

I'd love to see QT do a real men-on-a-mission movie like THEWILD GEESE or WHERE EAGLES DARE... he sort-of promised it with INGLORIOUS BASTERDS, but he didn't deliver...

i wonder if The Expendables came about through all the early talk about QTs WW2 men on a mission movie? (that had rumours about starring Arnie, Sly, Eddie Murphy etc)...and then when it wasnt really like that ..it got people (i.e. Sly) thinking about doing it....

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 49
RE: What would you like to see Quentin Tarantino do wit... - 9/12/2012 12:53:30 AM   
foodage

I think he's an exceptionally talented film maker but I hope he soon starts making films that don't have I AM QUENTIN TARANTINO written all over it.

(in reply to jackcarter)
Post #: 50
RE: What would you like to see Quentin Tarantino do wit... - 10/12/2012 8:41:16 PM   
bozo

quote:

ORIGINAL: foodage

I think he's an exceptionally talented film maker but I hope he soon starts making films that don't have I AM QUENTIN TARANTINO written all over it.

What would be the point of that? I expect to watch a Tarantino movie when I'm watching a Tarantino movie.

(in reply to foodage)
Post #: 51
RE: What would you like to see Quentin Tarantino do wit... - 14/12/2012 7:09:17 PM   
sandy666

1/ A disaster movie - probably an Airport/Airplane style thingy.

2/ A hard boiled detective/crime drama - Mickey Spillane, Elmore Leonard adaptation or something in the Get Carter mould. What would QT and Michael Caine do?

3/ Erotic thriller - Basic Instinct or perhaps something like Showgirls - QT can do characters let's see .

4/ Nuclear thriller - the Russians and the Americans are in the bunkers trying to talk themselves out of a nuclear war.

(in reply to bozo)
Post #: 52
RE: What would you like to see Quentin Tarantino do wit... - 14/1/2013 12:45:30 PM   
denise123

Well I have my ticket for Django Unchained and will walk into the Cinema with an open mind.

The trailers look very good, it has received Oscar nominations and I am looking forward to seeing Christoph Waltz as a good guy and Leo Di Caprio as a bad guy!

I hope I am pleasantly surprised, I want to know when I am watching it that it is a Tarantino film - without it being too much of a Tarantino film.

I will let you know my thoughts after I have seen the film.

(in reply to sandy666)
Post #: 53
RE: What would you like to see Quentin Tarantino do wit... - 14/1/2013 6:23:30 PM   
Workshed

Action / Thriller

Sci/Fi

"Well that's just, like, you're opinion, man"

"Psychos do not explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are!"

(in reply to giggity)
Post #: 54
RE: What would you like to see Quentin Tarantino do wit... - 14/1/2013 7:00:07 PM   
Whistler

Possible London-based film from QT: http://www.tvguide.co.uk/storydetail.asp?id=23767&catid=2

(in reply to Workshed)
Post #: 55
RE: What would you like to see Quentin Tarantino do wit... - 15/1/2013 11:16:07 AM   
MOTH

CALCULUS GRAPH OF TARANTINO OUTPUT

the link above charts Tarantino's films and does not bode well for Django Unchained

Haematology students will note this graph is similar to the osmotic fragility of Red Blood Cells in saline solutions.

Therefore, in order to improve the quality of future films it is clear than Tarantino needs more blood and less salt in his films.

I've only gone and set up a blog! This week I've been mostly reviewing The Lego Movie and Wadjda. Click: The Fast Picture Show

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 56
RE: What would you like to see Quentin Tarantino do wit... - 15/1/2013 1:38:09 PM   
homersimpson_esq

That doesn't allow for the fact that IB is actually excellent, though. Nor does it allow for the fact that JB is better than RD and PF.

But other than that, GOOD WORK.

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to MOTH)
Post #: 57
RE: What would you like to see Quentin Tarantino do wit... - 15/1/2013 1:45:44 PM   
MOTH

quote:

That doesn't allow for the fact that IB is actually excellent, though. Nor does it allow for the fact that JB is better than RD and PF.

Ah, but that is subjective opinion! Whereas the inarguable maths of the equation is that the length and self-indulgence of IB and JB make their overall quality low.
Also, Basterds is terrible.

I've only gone and set up a blog! This week I've been mostly reviewing The Lego Movie and Wadjda. Click: The Fast Picture Show

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 58
RE: What would you like to see Quentin Tarantino do wit... - 15/1/2013 1:53:17 PM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

ORIGINAL: MOTH

quote:

Ah, but that is subjective opinion! Whereas the inarguable maths of the equation is that the length and self-indulgence of IB and JB make their overall quality low.
Also, Basterds is terrible.

Jackie Brown really isn't self-indulgent.

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to MOTH)
Post #: 59
RE: What would you like to see Quentin Tarantino do wit... - 15/1/2013 2:07:45 PM   
matty_b

It really is.

quote:

Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: What would you like to see Quentin Tarantino do with his remaining films? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI