Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Rise Of The Guardians - 1/12/2012 7:17:01 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
Visually impressive. Narratively comatose. - 1/12/2012 7:17:01 PM   
TheMightyBlackout

If there was ever a film that was ideal for depositing the kids at on a Saturday while you get some shopping done: this is it. They'll be distracted by the bright colours and flying things, and you won't have to sit and weep over how much you've paid to sit and be sedated in three dimensions.

It's as if an animation showreel that was intended for the investors made it through the production process untouched. Technically impressive, but monumentally dull to the point of offensiveness.

< Message edited by TheMightyBlackout -- 1/12/2012 8:26:54 PM >

More reviews and rambling like that ^^^ at: >>>WorldOfBlackout.co.uk <<<

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
RE: Visually impressive. Narratively comatose. - 2/12/2012 1:27:33 AM   
musht

This was a great film; touching, exciting, it has a really good story that moves along at a great pace (never drags) with some brilliant characters and all work fantastically on screen. Jack Frost is clearly the star but none of the other characters get short changed. I'm not familiar with the original material but I look forward to future installments.

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

"What the hell are Regionals!?"

"color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color"

(in reply to TheMightyBlackout)
Post #: 3
RE: Visually impressive. Narratively comatose. - 2/12/2012 1:13:32 PM   
DJ Rob C: Mark II!

Saw this last night and was bowled over.... it has some of the best animation I've seen in years but not at the expense of a superb plot and some fantastic characters, plus top voicework from Baldwin, Jackman and Law as well as Fisher and Pine. I can see this becoming a future Christmas classic, I really do

When Gotham is ashes, you have my permission to die

Third Highest Post Count on the Forum, sad but proud!

(in reply to musht)
Post #: 4
Don't bother, worst animated film I ever seen - 2/12/2012 7:24:58 PM   
Magicbigp

This film was really poor and the empire review is way off the mark!
Really boring with no laughs anywhere in this mess of a movie.
A Russian sounding father Xmas with swords ?? Is this what we want our kids to think ?
A wise cracking Australian Easter bunny ? Really ....whoever thought of these ideas need sacking .
This film doesn't know if its for adults or children and ends up too dark for children to enjoy and is honestly the worst film I've seen in years . Avoid avoid avoid
The only thing this film deserves a star for is the animation.

Post #: 5
RE: Don't bother, worst animated film I ever seen - 2/12/2012 11:39:52 PM   
musht

quote:

ORIGINAL: Magicbigp

A Russian sounding father Xmas with swords ?? Is this what we want our kids to think ?
A wise cracking Australian Easter bunny ? Really ....whoever thought of these ideas need sacking .

This film doesn't know if its for adults or children and ends up too dark for children to enjoy and is honestly the worst film I've seen in years . Avoid avoid avoid

What's the problem with this? Should Santa and EB be American/English? As for the swords; kids have seen them before and that what a lot of kids like. I loved swashbucklers as a child, Disney movies such as Robin Hood and Peter Pan have sword fights.

I think it's a brilliant film that appeals to both. But not in the Shrek way where they have stories for kids and jokes for adults that the kids won't get. I think the problem with a lot of kids films is that they underestimate their target audience, this film doesn't do that in anyway.

< Message edited by musht -- 2/12/2012 11:40:09 PM >

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

(in reply to Magicbigp)
Post #: 6
RE: Don't bother, worst animated film I ever seen - 3/12/2012 7:30:17 AM   
Magicbigp

What's wrong is that it confused my 6 year old and didn't make her laugh once, changing kids perception about santa into a big swordfighting brute with tattoos didnt work on any level and it was really boring .
So from my experience it did miss the target audience because it didn't know what audience to aim for.
As an example of how to do a fun animated film we watched Madagascar 3 the other week and the whole audience had a great time.
Rotg was a real chore to sit through, Peter Pan is a brilliant kids film and wipes the floor with this .

quote:

ORIGINAL: musht

quote:

What's the problem with this? Should Santa and EB be American/English? As for the swords; kids have seen them before and that what a lot of kids like. I loved swashbucklers as a child, Disney movies such as Robin Hood and Peter Pan have sword fights.

I think it's a brilliant film that appeals to both. But not in the Shrek way where they have stories for kids and jokes for adults that the kids won't get. I think the problem with a lot of kids films is that they underestimate their target audience, this film doesn't do that in anyway.

< Message edited by Magicbigp -- 3/12/2012 7:37:07 AM >

(in reply to musht)
Post #: 7
RE: Don't bother, worst animated film I ever seen - 3/12/2012 12:47:57 PM   
musht

quote:

What's wrong is that it confused my 6 year old and didn't make her laugh once, changing kids perception about santa into a big swordfighting brute with tattoos didnt work on any level and it was really boring .
So from my experience it did miss the target audience because it didn't know what audience to aim for.
As an example of how to do a fun animated film we watched Madagascar 3 the other week and the whole audience had a great time.
Rotg was a real chore to sit through, Peter Pan is a brilliant kids film and wipes the floor with this .

OK, I see where you're coming from now. I disagree about it not working but then I didn't have to worry about childrens' reactions to the film's odd interpretations of these characters and therefore had a different experience of the film.

I really need to rewatch Peter Pan, haven't seen it in donkeys' years

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

(in reply to Magicbigp)
Post #: 8
Rise of the Guardians - 23/12/2012 10:20:24 AM   
ajm1991

A less emotionally pulling story line but stunning animation !! Detailed Review Here: http://www.filmwaves.in/2012/12/rise-of-gaurdians.html

Post #: 9
- 18/2/2013 6:18:05 PM   
smakris04

I think that the whole idea is not very original and I’d say rather poor. Growing up outside America nobody knows most of these silly characters. Maybe Santa (why Russian? Shouldn’t they name him Nicolas then?) and maybe tooth fairy but Easter Bunny? Isn’t Easter for Jesus’ resurrection and all? Who is Jack Frost? I always thought it was that horrible looking 97 movie or an ice giant. The character looks are rather disturbing for youngsters (my niece had a nightmare of the bunny and the fairy) and were the All Star cast Voice a last minute additions because not a single one of them suits the characters. Also the plot… stealing Peter Pan (when a child doesn’t believe in fairies one of them dies) please. Be original. Great visuals and all but not a good movie not for adults not for children and it didn’t matter how much Dreamworks or Paramount paid to the critics to write good reviews nobody went to see that movie for a reason. It is not good. I cried a bit but out of a cliché and loved the jingle bell Santa helpers. I can’t accept you’ve given this 4 stars when you give actual movies or even Great animations less.

Post #: 10
RE: - 4/3/2013 4:55:03 AM   
Phubbs

Rise of the Guardians (2012)

Another children's storybook is adapted for the movies, I never knew there were so many popular children's books! one after another every year. I have never heard of the author and I've never heard of the book/s but I was intrigued by the 'Avengers' like team up of well known fabled holiday characters.

It sounded a bit whimsical and babyish at first but the animation looked so good I gave it a go. First impressions were 'holy Buzz Lightyear!!', the visuals in this film are fudging excellent!!. This film looks sharp and crisp believe me, its a feast for the eyes on every level and in every sequence. Either when the atmosphere is fun and joyous or when it dark, brooding and nightmarish, it all looks tremendous.

Not only are the colours beautiful and animation slick, the characters all look good too! and that includes the human characters which often aren't as exciting as the fantasy ones. There is almost a Disney look about the humans here, the big clear eyes, smooth faces, plus 'The Boogeyman' looks very much like 'Hades' from 'Disney's Hercules'. Not only do all the characters look good but their facial expressions are really well done too, right down to the smallest change depending on the emotion eg. raising an eyebrow or shaking of the head. I think what they have managed to do is get the voices synced precisely with changing facial expressions, this is why it looks so flawless, very impressed.

The odd thing about this film is the legendary characters, I dunno if they are like this in the book but there are some strange ideas here. While 'Jack Frost' is imagined nicely, almost like a winter elf of sorts, the others are...curious. Good old Santa or 'North' is made out as a huge bearded old fella as expected but he's...Russian??. A thick Russian accent, carries Russian swords into battle, wears a thick black traditional Russian hat (Cossack Cap hat I think) and his traditional Santa suit of red n white trim now has thick black furry trim giving that Soviet military feel. But I gotta admit it lends well to the cold, snowy, frozen image of his background. Oh and one more thing...he has tattoo's on his forearms, yep you read that correctly, 'naughty' and 'nice' tattoo's on each forearm that look like they are part of sleeves actually!.

Next up is the Easter Bunny or 'E. Aster Bunnymund'. Now this guy also has some kind of tribal markings on his fur in various places, dresses like a 'wookie', has an Australian accent and carries two boomerangs into battle. The Tooth Fairy 'Tooth', looks a bit like a mermaid crossed with a hummingbird and is very colourful, she has hundreds of little baby Tooth Fairies that assist her. Lastly we have the Sandman 'Sandy', a short tubby little fellow who is completely sandy in colour and communicates via sand images that he conjures above his head.

A weird set of ideas for traditional characters of lore but this is what I liked about the film to be honest. Yes the plot is completely mundane and has not one inch of originality in its run time, the good guys team together to beat the bad guy, high points, low points, high points once more for the finale, good guys win, the end.

Nothing remotely surprising or unpredictable so don't think otherwise. Its the spectacle and characters that are the winner for me, some lovely moments that will make you smile or put a lump in you're throat. As said the way the characters have been approached are bizarre but original (only original thing here), the tiny little jingle bell hat wearing elves that help Santa are great for a giggle, the yeti's that also help Santa are a fun touch too. Must also gives kudos for the voice casting which really combines to make the characters well rounded, haven't heard such good voice work for ages. Jackman manages his Aussie accent again whilst Baldwin is really good as a Russian Santa (didn't even realise it was him!).

Total feel good film with grade A standard animation from Dreamworks (one in the eye for Pixar). I mean really, if you didn't like this then you gotta be a bit cold inside, sure its a soppy kids film but the crack team of elite holiday guardians put a smile on my face. I really wanted to see more guardians but to be honest I struggled to think of anymore, a Leprechaun was mentioned for St Patrick's Day, I presume...maybe a red dragon for St George's Day? I'm sure there are some other good foreign ones. But yeah, totally 'The Avengers' for the very young, I like it.

< Message edited by Phubbs -- 4/3/2013 5:08:21 AM >

(in reply to smakris04)
Post #: 11
RE: RE: - 4/3/2013 8:39:29 AM   
Dr Lenera

The spirit of winter, Jack Frost, is frustrated by childrenís disbelief in him. At the North Pole, North, better known as Santa Claus, is alerted that Pitch Black, the Bogeyman, has returned and is threatening childhood with fear. He summons fellow Guardians the Tooth Fairy (Tooth), the Easter Bunny (Bunnymund) and the Sandman (Sandy). Their job is to safeguard the well being of children. North learns from the Man in the Moon, who chooses all the Guardians, that they are to induct Jack as their new member. The Easter Bunny, although reluctant to include this mischievous trickster, dutifully brings Jack to Northís headquarters and they attempt to swear him in. Jack declines to join, but North persuades him to cooperate for now by explaining their mission and the looming threat of PitchÖ.

Iíve always felt Dreamworks have it a bit hard. Theyíve had their big hits for sure, like the Shrek franchise, but most critics, if not necessarily audiences, tend to almost dismiss Dreamworks in favour of Pixar, which is of course the Studio That Can Do No Wrong Except For The Cars Movies [both of which I actually liked by the way]. For me Dreamworks are as a whole every bit as good as Pixar and probably more diverse, at least tonally and thematically. Recently we had from them the wacky comedy Madagascar 3, and now we have a film which really is very different. Rise Of The Guardians should be, like How To Train Your Dragon, further proof that Dreamworks can out-do Pixar. Itís a far better film than Pixarís latest, Brave, in every way, and it almost tops the superb Paranorman as the best animated movie of the year, a year which, after a weak start, has become a pretty good one for animated films.

For a start, Rise Of The Guardians boasts the most wonderfully cool idea in ages. A writer called William Joyce was asked by his young daughter if he thought Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny had ever met. This inspired him to write a series of books called The Guardians Of Childhood and actually there was a short animated film based on the idea in 2005 called The Man In The Moon. Isnít the idea of Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, the Sandman, The Tooth Fairy and Jack Frost really existing to keep children happy and safe from darkness a great one? Even if you donít especially like children or donít buy into the messages contained in the film of kids always being safe and the importance of fun, surely thereís the sheer wackiness of not just these characters as a very weird version of The Avengers but their really odd makeovers. Santa as a burly Russian with tattoos [this seems to have annoyed some, yet the familiar cuddly, red-suited figure we know is actually even less close to the original Santa than this one]. The Tooth Fairy as half-woman, half-hummingbird. The Easter Bunny as a very tall, wise-cracking Australian. The Sandman as a strange gold floating figure who canít speak.

Of course we must not also forget Frost, who flies around causing pranks in a manner very much like Peter Pan, though he may be the character most easily to get used to as few of us probably have much of an idea of what Frost is like anyway, so he was a good choice to begin the film with. The picture actually opens in a somewhat melancholy fashion with Frost wondering how he came to be and failing to be seen by humans, and every now and again itís headlong pace does pause for quieter and touching moments, like the flashback to Frostís origin. And all throughout, Frost remains a most sympathetic figure as well as someone we can identify with. He just wants to have fun and be liked.

Of course Rise Of The Guardians is also a superhero action movie, and it proceeds fairly conventionally in this respect, with the first half about the recruiting of Frost and the second half a series of battles with our villain, called both Pitch Black and the Bogeyman. Like many other villains before him, he has an English accent, and turns up to announce his dastardly plan early on so that the good guys can prepare. Said plan is quite scary; to give nightmares to all the worldís children, though the actual visualisation of the spread of darkness is a little old hat and a similar thing has been seen in at least two Marvel films this year. Truth be told the battles get a little repetitive, with endless movement designed to take advantage of the 3D process [of course, I didnít see it in 3D] as we, the audience, hurtle over the ground and through tunnels, often in one take. The final confrontation doesnít quite have the excitement it should, but we are invested in the characters and what is at stake, so it doesnít matter too much.

Guillermo Del Toro executive produced this film and you can certainly see his influence in a number of areas, from design to themes, while cinematographer Roger Deakins, who brought so much to Skyfall, also contributes immensely to this beautiful-looking movie. Visually, in a year with several stunning-looking animated films, it is simply magnificent, the colours often radiating out of the screen in a truly gorgeous way. Of particular note are some of the Sandman scenes where he floats around, spreading gold around, the gold than forming into childrenís dreams. There is a sequence near the end which had more of a childlike sense of wonder than any other scene Iíve seen this year. It involves dinosaurs, and evokes the feeling of certain moments in early Steven Spielberg films like Close Encounters Of The Third Kind and E.T. The Extra Terrestrial, a feeling that the older Spielberg doesnít seem able to evoke anymore, and which films tend to steer away from these days because the presiding attitude is to be cynical and cool and cold. I also adored a bit soon after, which involves the archetypal Spielberg shot of someone looking at something in total wonder. Here, itís lots of kids doing the looking, and I was so touched I forgot I was watching a cartoon.

There is less humour than usual for Dreamworks, but there are still some good laughs, especially the hilarious sight of the Bunny reduced to being a normal sized fluffy bunny, a scene perfectly voiced by Hugh Jackman in a cast who all do a great job with their characters. Jude Law as the Bogeyman continues his recent run of virtually being a good actor and actually manages to sound really sinister, while Chris Pine is actually likeable for once as Frost. I should also mention the filmís terrific score by Alexandre Desplat, which actually contains decent themes, a rarity at the moment. Itís an often rousing piece of work that John Williams could easily have written in the 80ís, and itís such a shame that this type of scoring is obviously considered old-hat by many producers and we are instead swamped by the mind-numbing garbage of the Media Ventures kind that is now the Ďin-thingí. For me, though, the star of the film is Peter Ramsey, whose first film this is after working for many years as a storyboard artist. He paces his film perfectly and handles the tonal shifts with the skill of a master. It seems that Rise Of The Guardians has been a bit of a disappointment at the box office. This is a crying shame, because it lessens the chance of a franchise. I know Iím forever moaning about sequels, remakes etc, but I would love to see these folk in action again, keeping safe the hopes and dreams of our young.

Rating: 8/10

check out more of my reviews on http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/

(in reply to Phubbs)
Post #: 12
- 29/3/2013 11:06:32 PM   
JJB888

Strange accents aside, this was an excellent family film and a film that pushed the need for traditional beliefs in the modern world. Nicely animated (with del Toro's artistic touch being felt in places) and action packed.

Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Rise Of The Guardians Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI