Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: I give it slighly over 3.14...........

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: I give it slighly over 3.14........... Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: I give it slighly over 3.14........... - 27/12/2012 1:52:58 PM   
Don_a_van

I was all ready to write a big review of this film but I am suffering from post-festive blues (hangover) so I'll just say it's probably one of the best films of 2012. Moving, funny and the lead character gives a superb solo performance. The world created\captured by Mr Lee looks absolutely beautiful and I think this is one of those rare movies where the 3D actually adds an extra dimension. It does have a few small flaws but these are largely forgiveable so do yourself a favour and go see it now. Oh and Ang Lee is rapidly cementing himself as a very capable director in my eyes (yes I even liked his different take on the Hulk)

(in reply to filmsunlimited)
Post #: 31
RE: Life of Pi - 29/12/2012 10:56:03 AM   
Rod Hull

The film is a masterpiece. I've now seen it in both 2D and 3D, the extra dimension is used expertly by Lee, but it does lessen the impact of the vibrant colours so would always recommend seeing it without superfluous spectacles. With regards to the negativity shown towards its ending, I actually prefer the way the film closes to the novel's, mainly due to the interplay between Spall's writer and Khan's beautifully played elder Pi. I never liked the role of the insurance investigators in the book, and their relegation in the storyline of the film sits a lot better for me.

Not with the pastry!
Post #: 32
RE: Life of Pi - 30/12/2012 5:31:59 PM   
Qwerty Norris

quote:

ORIGINAL: Giant Green Rabbit

CRITICAL SPOILERS AHEAD

I absolutely loved the film - more so watching it for the second time. I think it's the year's best, a masterpiece and the first film I've seen where the 3D actually has a rationale and therefore gives added value.

I am somewhat intrigued by those who complained about the ending - the ending it seems to me is the very point of the movie. The whole thing is a meditation on life, its meaning and religion - and although the characters have their own views, I don't think it's in the slightest preachy. The end doesn't just establish that the story is an embellishment, a fantasy borne out of the incapacity to fully deal with what has happened. It isn't just necessary to establish a major theme - that Pi had to eat another human being to survive. But it also draws out this idea that Pi and Richard Parker are the same person, and their conflict on board the ship is a metaphor for the conflict between the survivalist, cut-throat Pi who had to kill the Chef (Hyena) and transgress the taboo of consuming another person - and the spiritual humane Pi who felt, who mourned, who pondered over the meaning of life, whose sense of morality fought a hard painful battle with the survivalist instinct in the face of death. But this survivalist Pi who is built to battle the harshest of conditions also gives him no peace, no meaning and no role beyond this extreme scenario. Through viewing life through Richard Parker Pi is struck and scared by the meaningless of it all. His human side tries to put physical and emotional distance between himself and the deeds he has done to stay alive - and from this point of safety, the raft, he writes his thoughts and emotions - he indulges that which makes him human. It is through this character that he senses a purpose - and hope.

The island too is crucial because it tackles the theme that develops of Pi musing on the circle of life. The sequence asks the question as to whether or not nature and life in itself, without a God can provide his own life with meaning. But the island (shaped like a woman, representing Mother Earth) ruthlessly devours as much as it graciously provides. Ultimately Pi cannot find meaning with nature itself; nature is without sentiment.

Thus Pi, finding no meaning in mere survival and finding no comfort in Mother Earth's timeless indifference, leaves the island to find people - human connection. Pi's eventual faith is not without doubt and is portrayed as a choice that aids his living rather than belief in a singular Truth. Life, as Pi suggests, is a process of slowly letting go - faith is something he holds onto in response to that.

But what makes this a great film for me is for all the philosophising, it's incredibly emotionally affecting. I felt involved and invested in Pi/Richard Parker and it had me wiping tears more than once. The 3D works because the visual flourishes are part of an acknowledged fairy tale - a fantastical version of a brutal truth.

5/5

Excellent review - and absolutely spot on with every word.

Smashing avatar too!

Qwerty's Top 10 of 2013 (so far)

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
9. The Place Beyond the Pines
10. Wreck-it Ralph
Post #: 33
- 31/12/2012 12:06:31 AM   
danfacey711

Cleverly adapted, beautiful shot and a truly powerful tale of hope and survival. Stunning

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 34
Too pi-ous - 2/1/2013 1:23:04 AM   
Normal Control

Not bad, but lacks humour. Some weird stuff keeps it interesting. At least it's different, but wouldn't call it a classic. I thought the ending was muddled, but in a way that's good. I didn't like Rafe Spall. Forget the religious overtones, the message anyone should take from this movie is save the tigers.

Post #: 35
RE: Too pi-ous - 3/1/2013 10:17:32 PM   
moehat

As soon as I'd seen it I wanted to see it again. Visually stunning and left me emotionally drained. I think one of the best films I've ever seen.

(in reply to Normal Control)
Post #: 36
RE: Too pi-ous - 7/1/2013 9:43:40 AM   
blackduck

Great movie, but it had some properly misleading trailers for it.

I knew nothing about it going in, the trailer made it look like a jolly visual treat.
And judging by the amount of people who brought little kiddies to the showing I was at I wasn't alone in thinking this.

The beginning was a bit slow (but thats probally more to do with me being in the wrong frame of mind)

But once I settled into it I really enjoyed it ( would have enjoyed it more without the room full of squirming children).
One of the most satisfying movies I've seen in a long time.

I am but an egg.

(in reply to moehat)
Post #: 37
RE: Too pi-ous - 9/1/2013 3:47:49 PM   
dolfinack

Short burst review:

I've read the book and pretty much hated it, but the trailer caught my eye.

Ignore the religion guff and it's all good.
Visually magnificent. Colour, weather effects and scenery beautiful.
£D hit and miss. Some good scenes, but some very "layered looking"
Very funny in parts, with great performance form the lead.
The ending was a bit hum de dum. The audience don't need to be spoon-fed the exact ins and outs of the metaphor.
Rafe Spall is great but that accent eek! Just make him English or use an American actor.

A rare case of the film being better than the book by quite some way!

"I'm as human as the next man"

"Dad! I WAS the next man!"

(in reply to blackduck)
Post #: 38
Life of Pi (2012) - 10/1/2013 10:46:34 AM   
craig_kell

With awards season upon us, Ang Lee’s fantasy adventure Life of Pi becomes the latest contender to unveil itself on curious audiences.
Based on Yann Matel’s best-selling novel, it focuses on a middle-aged Indian man named Pi Patel (Irrfan Khan) who recalls to a writer (Rafe Spall) about the terrifying experience he endured as a teenage boy when he survived a terrible shipwreck that claimed the lives of his family. It resulted in him being stranded at sea for the next several months with his only companion being a ferocious tiger. However an unlikely bond between boy and beast would be formed during their quest for survival.
As with one of his previous films, Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, director Lee is able to present an articulate vision to life through this imaginative production. He handles the film with creative craftsmanship as we explore this unbelievable journey that Pi goes through.
After a quiet opening half-hour, the film springs to life courtesy of the monstrous shipwreck sequence. Once Pi is left stranded on the boat, he faces harsh lessons about nature in the most grisly form. But Lee’s visual effects team work effortlessly hard with their impeccable creation of Richard Parker (the tiger) and it is the intense relationship between Pi and Parker which becomes a key part of the narrative amidst the peril and one-off humour. There is also the beautifully rendered use of motion capture CGI which enables every frame of the film to look artistically glorious when we see Pi out in sea. Teenage newcomer Suraj Sharma is given a lot to deal with in such a visually-vibrant production with his role as the young Pi as he captivates us emotionally during his desperate quest for survival and his touching bond with the tiger. Veteran Indian actor Irrfan Khan is also effective as he lends a gentle warmness to his role as the older Pi.
However while the film is a sight to behold, it may be a bit too much for youngsters to deal with. Patience is

Post #: 39
RE: Life of Pi (2012) - 10/1/2013 2:33:18 PM   
sharkboy

I saw this at the weekend, but thought I'd consider what I'd witnessed before posting my thoughts.

First up, I confess - I'm a huge fan of the novel.  I think Yann Martel spun a marvellous tale about humanity and faith, with unforgettable characters and beautiful imagery.  So as you would imagine, I was more than delighted to see that Ang Lee managed to preserve the core tenet, the characters and the beauty with his cinematic adaptation.

I'm not going to say too much about the movie itself except to mention that the actors playing the various ages of Pi do so brilliantly (with a special mention to newcomer Suraj Sharma who is simply outstanding), the imagery is stunningly beautiful, the CG realisation of Richard Parker is practically flawless, and the 3D is used to excellent effect (and I say this as a 3D sceptic).

POSSIBLE SPOILERS!!

A word about the ending - there have been quite a few negative comments about the "twist" at the end which IMO are missing the point of the central theme.  This isn't a movie about God per se, but rather about choice, particularly choice between spiritual answers and scientific answers, and unlike some other cinematic representations of this dilemma, in Life of Pi one does not necessarily preclude the other.  The ending was simply saying that there are two choices presented to the audience - they can choose the more rational one in which the animals were simply metaphors for the all-too-human survivors and Richard Parker was just a representation of the evil/bad within Pi.  Or they can take the leap of faith and accept the story as represented.  I recall reading an interview with Martell after I finished the book, in which he identified the island as being the moment when he asked the readers to take that same leap for themselves; finding yourself at sea in a boat with a tiger may be straining credibility, but coming across a carnivorous floating island populated by thousands of meerkats?  To accept that, Martell needed the same reaction from the readers as Pi did from his journalist/insurance investigators.

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to craig_kell)
Post #: 40
RE: Life of Pi (2012) - 10/1/2013 7:36:09 PM   
horribleives

Nowt much to add but I was quietly blown away by this and haven't been able to stop thinking about it for days. For all the visual eye candy on display (and the effects and cinematogrophy are quite breathtaking) it's the story that resonates - ironically the most powerful scene of the film involves someone simply describing something which (thankfully) we don't see. Never has the word 'resourceful' sounded so chilling. And never has a film with such a horrific chain of events at its core ended on such an uplifting note. Brilliant stuff.
Oh and the 3D was fucking awesome (I never thought I'd type that sentence).

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 41
RE: Life of Pi (2012) - 11/1/2013 4:21:43 PM   
Qwerty Norris

quote:

ORIGINAL: sharkboy

A word about the ending - there have been quite a few negative comments about the "twist" at the end which IMO are missing the point of the central theme.  This isn't a movie about God per se, but rather about choice, particularly choice between spiritual answers and scientific answers, and unlike some other cinematic representations of this dilemma, in Life of Pi one does not necessarily preclude the other.  The ending was simply saying that there are two choices presented to the audience - they can choose the more rational one in which the animals were simply metaphors for the all-too-human survivors and Richard Parker was just a representation of the evil/bad within Pi.  Or they can take the leap of faith and accept the story as represented.  I recall reading an interview with Martell after I finished the book, in which he identified the island as being the moment when he asked the readers to take that same leap for themselves; finding yourself at sea in a boat with a tiger may be straining credibility, but coming across a carnivorous floating island populated by thousands of meerkats?  To accept that, Martell needed the same reaction from the readers as Pi did from his journalist/insurance investigators.

Yes, yes and yes!

Qwerty's Top 10 of 2013 (so far)

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
9. The Place Beyond the Pines
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 42
RE: Life of Pi (2012) - 11/1/2013 7:56:27 PM   
horribleives

I was reading some stuff on Wikipedia about the book and the reasons why Martel chose the name Richard Parker. Some freaky shit.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to Qwerty Norris)
Post #: 43
RE: Life of Pi (2012) - 14/1/2013 2:56:58 PM   
Dannybohy

Is this better than the Hulk?

'Man of Steel!,Man of Shit!' -fairyprincess

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 44
RE: Life of Pi (2012) - 22/1/2013 9:15:10 PM   
aaronyun

:)

< Message edited by aaronyun -- 22/1/2013 9:16:03 PM >

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 45
RE: Life of Pi (2012) - 22/1/2013 9:16:43 PM   
aaronyun

Ang Lee, who is originally from Taiwan, has successfully visualized the original, Life of Pi written by Yann Martels. This mythical novel becomes a wonderful drama on screen.

Lee is one of the most bravest and flexible directors in film industry; starting from humanity comedy (The Wedding Banguet,1933), martial art film( Crouching Tiger,2000) , science fiction fantasy( Hulk,2003) , romantic drama ( Lust-Caution,2007) and finally to adventure 3D ( Life of Pi,2012). He must be very versatile and smart to adopt new styles to new themes while he sustains the original and basic source in his superb films.

This movie is sad, exciting, stunning, violent, heartless, disturbing, and sympathetic. I mean it offers various feeling to the audience through two hours with arrangement of visual effects in hallucinatory 3D. Well, it has a strong foundation from the prize-winning novel which addresses multifaceted theoretical and religious questions to us.

The story is about Piscine Molitor (Pi) Patel, who is a shipwrecked boy in the ocean, and an aggressive tiger. After the shipwreck, the tiger is Pi's only friend in a life raft for 227-day journey across the Pacific Ocean. Lee solves this story in traditional way: A story within a story within a story. As an old man in Montreal, Pi (by Irrfan Khan) meets a Canadian author to tell the story of his youth and the story that motivates you believe in God.

It starts with Pi (Suraj Sharma)’s childhood in India. His parents own a zoo, so Pi has been surrounded by animal in his youth. He also thinks about religion. He has Hindu from parents, and then he gets Catholicism, and finally he adds Islam.

The family decides to leave India. They board with some of the animals they're selling to Canada zoos. They're headed for Canada, which is opposite with Columbus’s journey. A tempest severely attacks the ship. Pi has been abandoned with a tiger, named Richard Parker.

Pi’s journey is full of parallel structures. The ocean from India to North America is depicted as a magnificently beautiful and spectacular. After sun sets, sea anemones, jelly fishes and stars in sky are illuminated vividly. I couldn’t hide exclamations of delight at the spectacular view. However, I realized that this ocean brutally destroyed Pi’s family. Creatures in the ocean are stunning, but those become critically dangerous. The shining whale becomes a beast and almost killed Pi and the tiger. The dream-like island that gives Pi vital water and fruits becomes a devil-island. The water that Pi drinks becomes acid to kill fishes. Furthermore, the fruits imply that this island actually is waiting for death of Pi.

The journey ends with Pi and the tiger landing in Mexico. Two civil servants for marine department interview Pi about the cargo ship. They don't believe the story about the ship's sudden shipwreck, and a miracle Island, coexisting with a tiger, so Pi has to deliver defense of "the better story." To prove his point, he tells a version of his story without whimsical features. It's a shocking story because human beings kill each other in the separate space.

The Canadian author asks an adult Pi which one is true, and Pi replies: “Which one do you prefer?”

Pi is a number of 3.141592… There is no end. It is same with the ocean that PI has to struggle against. The ocean faced both endless fear and infinite charm. But, it is up to you who make your journey as a scared memory with a miracle or a moment of panic with unforgettable agony.

< Message edited by aaronyun -- 22/1/2013 9:18:08 PM >

(in reply to aaronyun)
Post #: 46
Fabulous Adaptation of the Impossible book - 17/2/2013 7:21:58 AM   
Dillon the Villain

If you've read and loved the book and thought this will not live up to your own vision, go and see it. It is magical. Sumptuous and at times truly breathtaking cinematography, and perfect performance by Sharma as Pi and wonderful music. It is so faithful to the book - enhancing Martel's wonderful tale with a visionary interpretation. This is a classic.

< Message edited by Dillon the Villain -- 17/2/2013 7:24:01 AM >

Post #: 47
FORREST GUMP - THE PUNJABI VERSION... - 19/2/2013 5:54:18 PM   
ROTGUT

....now...that isn't necessarily a bad thing....but lets be honest here. If that bloke really was stuck out at sea in a boat with a bleedin great tiger for company, the tiger would've eaten him in ten seconds flat and the film would be over in a flash. Some of the 3D works, some of it I just found to be plain irritating...... no religious conversion or any great epithanies experienced I'm afraid...... 3 STARS

Post #: 48
RE: I give it slighly over 3.14........... - 27/2/2013 1:16:23 PM   
Drooch

This film claims to be about 'God', but it actually seems to be about storytelling. Was anyone convinced the god exists, as Spall supposedly was, by the end of the film?

(in reply to Don_a_van)
Post #: 49
RE: I give it slighly over 3.14........... - 8/3/2013 6:55:31 PM   
Professor Dent

Well, now you're getting to the nub of it, and it's the reason why this film may not get great word of mouth, as it will lead to a 'So, do you believe in God?' type conversation, which is up there with discussions about freemasons and the New World Order with topics I shy away from mostly.

I could see why it would convince you of the merits of believing in God, and it did knock me sideways a bit. I thought it would more simplistic, like, wow, how could he survive all that without God helping? But it didn't try to pull an astonishing anecdote of God's intervention, like Born Agains do, rather it says, well, can you see why you might want to believe in God, true or not?

Going into detail does involve spoilers though, as it's the punchline of the tail.

(in reply to Drooch)
Post #: 50
Life of Pi (2012) - 1/4/2013 4:00:15 PM   
BJORNtheBLU

Life of Pi proves that not all epics consist of tons of characters and extras. Just a young Indian boy with his CGI friend. Whether this film is real or not, the question must never be answered. Its all real. Life of Pi asks us to take a journey with a young boy Pi and a Bengal tiger Richard Parker across the harsh ocean that they endure as this epic. Creating this grand adventure so cinematically bold, one feels as though they are venturing on the small boat with Pi and Richard. I watched this film in 2D and even that was immerse and interactive, so the 3D must have been reality. Based on Yann Martel's novel Lee and screenwriter David Magee have managed to stay true to the source without being constrained by it, as so often happens in adaptations. Lee has done what no other director has ever been seen done and that is enhancing the novel's power, employing 3D and CGI technology with such originality that there are moments when the ocean seems to float around you. And when a certain tiger roars, you may well jump. I know I did.

As magnetic as Ang Lee's boundary-breaking visuals are, it wouldn't be enough to carry the film if it were not anchored by such an electrifying tale. The core is the 227 days Pi spends in the lifeboat with the spiritual Tiger and relationship between the two truly is magnificent. Both tear filling and important. Suraj Sharma is very faithful to his character and for his debut film his acting is more than sufficient. Lets just hope he doesn't end up like Dev Patel. This film exceeds all my expectations. Its flawless. Nothing more and nothing less. And lets face it should have won best picture. Fear becomes Pi's first ally when a storm rips at the ship. The will to survive will kick in later. He's thrown into one of the lifeboats and in the chaos that follows, some of the zoo's belongings join him - a frantic zebra, a fussy orangutan, a frenzied hyena and Richard Parker, who boards despite Pi's best efforts to keep him at away.

You might think spending the bulk of the film in a lifeboat would soon lose its intrigue. But when there are wild animals, unpredictable seas and diminishing rations there is no time for things to get boring. Life of Pi is a rare kind of film and we won't be seeing anything like or up to its level in the neat future. Ang has directed a film that will surly stay with us forever more and what more is there to say. Well done Ang Lee. Verdict: With the stunning visuals, the miraculous storyline and Ang Lee's direction, Life of Pi is defiantly the best in its category. Life of Pi is Ang Lee's best film to date. And don't forget your tissues!

< Message edited by BJORNtheBLU -- 30/5/2013 9:04:15 PM >

Post #: 51
First time of Ang Lee on 3D?? WOW - 12/4/2013 3:39:46 PM   
Ralph25

The film is wonderful, that's all I can say. Ang lee outdone itself with this film, and of course David Magee (screenplay). Both managed to carry the book more indecipherable already done by Yann Martel, and turned it into something simple ... a 16 years in a boat with a wild tiger in the middle of the pacific ocean, simple as that.
The story is realy about the "Life of Pi", Piscine Patel is a very smart guy, bulying sufferer, who during his life had learned many religions and took all as his own. When his parents start to have a financial crisis on its Zoo, they decided to move to Canada and sell their animals and start a new life. Everything is going "well" yet the freighter where Pi and his family were traveling was shipwrecked. Pi is the only survivor, plus a tiger that belongs to his family, and from there both must learn to survive together.
The movie is very well done from beginning to end, the history raises several questions, but no waiting for an answer, they are all to carry on our lives. The way Ang and David can put this story as "simple" as a pretty intelligent way from beginning to end, and how they can make the story as real, the characters are all the scenarios as real, and also their actions and instincts.
The visual effects are superb, the animals are super real, even seem real, the sets are magnificent, and fantastic soundtrack fits everywhere, the direction of the film not to mention, as I said Ang Lee outdonne itself.
Not only him, but as the entire cast, but I must say that Suraj Sharma is FANTASTIC for a first role in movie is nuthing bad, but PERFECT!
Very well built, very well directed, well acted, messages who persecute you, unforgettable scenery, a story truly exciting and fun for the entire audience, "Life of Pi" is one of the best films of his year and of all time!

< Message edited by Ralph25 -- 12/4/2013 3:41:28 PM >

Post #: 52
RE: Life of Pi (2012) - 13/4/2013 2:33:53 PM   
Bossis

You said exactly what I was thinking and wanted to share - so now I don't need to post! We loved the way the ending left you thinking and wondering which story was the true one. Now I want to read the book.

(in reply to Qwerty Norris)
Post #: 53
RE: Life of Pi (2012) - 22/4/2013 6:11:18 AM   
Phubbs

Life of Pi (2012)

So many book adaptation these days! Ang Lee is fast becoming a master of lavish epic stories, stories with international spice. This new film bears all the hallmarks of a foreign film to be honest, I was surprised to discover it was American made, amazed in fact.

The story is told in part by narration from the main character, who is an adult. He is telling a writer about his fantastical story, about his early years in India and his families decision to immigrate to Canada. After a slow build up revolving around his family, his keen interest in various religions, the way he acquired his name and the family owned zoo, we start to get to the crux of the film.

Whilst on board the freighter bound for Canada, a storm hits and sinks the ship apparently killing everyone. 'Pi' survives on a lifeboat with a tiger, zebra, hyena and orangutan, this is where the real story begins.

Up to this point I'll be totally honest with you all and say the film isn't overly interesting. A slow character building plot showing you Indian family life and how religious minded the young 'Pi' is. Don't let that scare you though, the film is not in the least bit preachy about religion, its a very light view really, 'Pi's' parents are surprisingly easy on him whilst he switches from one to another trying to find his feet. You do kinda expect his father to go ape shit with him but that doesn't happen, that's not what this is about.

Of course the CGI in this film is pretty much the main focus, its not what the film is about but it takes centre stage. So how can I put this for you? the film looks like a crystal clear watercolour painting with 'Dali-esque' sequences of beauty that will inspire you, hows that?. Yes the CGI does look a tad obvious from time to time for sure (the animals in the lifeboat) but in general you don't care. Its like a living painting, constantly changing, expressing the sublime miracle that is nature, almost teaching you as it goes, a virtual wildlife show in poetic motion. Lets not forget about those sparkling sunsets, stormy skies, nautical dusk's and twilight's.

The sequence at night whilst 'Pi' drifts on the ocean surface surrounded by hundreds of bioluminescent jellyfish is damn near stunning, then a mighty Humpback whale (I think) bursts through the waters surface saturating the screen in a glowing shower of turquoise liquid!...pure fantasy but none the less spectacular. To be frank I found it disappointing that these sequences were CGI, I wanted them to be real. As for the main animal 'character', 'Richard Parker' the Bengal tiger, he's fudging faultless! in fact I'm not even sure if they used a real tiger anywhere, did they??! I really couldn't tell.

The story isn't all about fancy effects though as I said, there is a lot more to it than that. The young boy surviving on his own aboard this lifeboat, there is a huge amount of faith naturally, hope, courage, fear, acceptance and understanding. He must learn to deal with his fate, not to blame God for his situation but let God enter his heart and give him the strength to survive. He can't rely on God or a God to bail him out, he can't worry about which religion is right, he must be true to himself.

He must also be cautious and firm with his big cat companion, learn to coexist together for the greater good, they need each other after all.

In the end various elements from the various religions help young 'Pi' on his perilous journey. The story does a great job of simply showing how similar these religions are, how one is not greater than the other, nor is one anymore correct than the other, there is no definitive way. Sounds heavy but it really isn't, the whole plot plays out like a child's bedtime fairytale, a fairytale with a good message.

This visual treat has so many layers its incredible, an Asian/Indian subcontinental core with a dash of Chiwan flavouring from its director. You can clearly see how the animals/mammals in the film are represented and beautifully expressed which is so important to both cultures, the tiger especially. Its so strange that this deep little tale comes from a French speaking Canadian!, it just seems so very close to the stories roots of India, or the far East/Indochina maybe.

Sure the ending is a bit depressing, we find out what really happened, the reality, but like the characters in the story you too can choose which tale you preferred. There is actually no right answer, the question is, does the tale make YOU believe in God? .

9/10

< Message edited by Phubbs -- 22/4/2013 6:14:19 AM >

(in reply to Bossis)
Post #: 54
Life of Pi - 22/9/2014 12:09:46 PM   
Cookiedough

Glorious, gorgeous, beautifully-told storytelling. This could be a masterclass in how you tell a story simply, movingly and with compassion and empathy. Marvellous.

Post #: 55
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: I give it slighly over 3.14........... Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI