Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Who's working Christmas then....

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> Who's working Christmas then.... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Who's working Christmas then.... - 30/11/2012 2:37:02 PM   
Goodfella

As the trees and decorations start going up, the shops start filling up and those Iceland adverts start appearing on TV advertising mini-anything-you-can-shove-in-your-gob-to-soak-up-the-alcholol food items, we realise that Christmas is very much upon us! A joyous time for one and all I am told, not quite so for those of us who have to work most of it though!! So I wonder who here, like myself, is facing the prospect of missing most of Christmas in order to provide someone else with an entertaining one??

Despite a degree alongside four years of a full-time job, I'm still stuck between somewhere and nowhere, working in a pub that opens pretty much from 7am to 1am, 365 days a year and I'm one of a limited staff in a place that really offers too much for everyone who works there to cope with. My boss is what you would call, well, an idiot. He's a fantastic host, but he's a shit businessman. Apart from being a gambling addict who has spent time in prison for tax fraud, he genuinely has no idea how to run a business, his wife does most of the work from that angle while he plays the role of the fat, bumbling landlord. Sad thing is if he had half a brain he'd have a very successful business, unfortunately he doesn't. But the fact is for me it's 5 minutes down the road from where I live, I'm clocking in between 50 and 60 hours at the end of November which anyone who knows anyone who lives in the tourist county of North Devon will know this is virtually unheard of and I enjoy the aspects of the job with regards to the people I work with and the banter with the regulars. I hope to own my one place one day and have been in and out of this trade for the past decade so I know the deal and I embrace it and have built up quite a reputation for myself which I hope may hold me in some good standing further down the line.

Having cheffed in the past, I'm now front of house and really the only full-time barman. To top it off only three of our waitresses can take orders (another one of my bosses superb ideas, which if it was an actual object, I would slap him round the face with) so as I can also do this it pretty much means I'm in most of Xmas week, if I'm lucky I may get the 28th and 29th off but the main days I will either be working straight ten-hour shifts or splits, and I prefer the first one. Sure I'll earn good money but it does feel like my Xmas will pretty much be lost on me, I might try to get to my friend's NYE party afterwards but it'll be a struggle!

So here's me saying to any others working, I'm thinking of you too! Anyone else going to be stuck in work over the festive period?

"It is the Shawshank Redemption! Just with more tunneling through shit and less fucking redemption."

If you can quote the rules, then you can obey them.

Post #: 1
RE: Who's working Christmas then.... - 30/11/2012 2:47:15 PM   
matty_b

I do envy those who are guaranteed Christmas and New Year off every year.

It's always a nervous wait till about two weeks beforehand to discover if I can get a combo of Christmas Eve/Day/Boxing Day off with a couple of other days off afterwards. Having said that, I'm working the weekend right before Christmas so my lieu days handily fall on Christmas Day and Boxing Day - so I'll probably end up doing Christmas Eve and New Years.

Much sympathy to those who don't even get a say in the matter.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 2
RE: Who's working Christmas then.... - 30/11/2012 2:48:48 PM   
homersimpson_esq

Yes and no.

My office job means that the office closes on 21 Dec, and reopens 2 Jan. Amazing. I love that. The entire office closes, so we have no choice but to not work. It doesn't even count towards holiday entitlement. It's just nobody comes in. Considering for the last three years I have worked a 17 hour shift on Christmas Eve, followed by about 4 hours sleep and then a morning working on Christmas Day (the perils of working for the Church) I am really going to enjoy Christmas this year.

I'm in a choir, too, so I'm singing Sunday 23rd, 24th (9 lessons and carols and then midnight mass) as well as Christmas morning. But that doesn't really count as "work" because it's awesome. (Disclaimer: yes, I get paid, and yes it is hard work, but I enjoy it and I would do it for free. I wouldn't do my office job for free...)

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 3
RE: Who's working Christmas then.... - 30/11/2012 2:53:03 PM   
Harry Tuttle

I'll be working half a day on Christmas Eve and I'm in all day on the 28th but then I'm off till January 7th. I only have to use up 2 days of annual leave for that as well so I'm relatively happy.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 4
RE: Who's working Christmas then.... - 30/11/2012 2:56:04 PM   
Sway

I'm potentially going to be in hospital recovering from an op on Christmas day.

So no working for me for the next 2 months or so!

"I am not in danger, Skyler. I AM the danger! A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks!"

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 5
RE: Who's working Christmas then.... - 30/11/2012 2:56:48 PM   
elab49

Can you sneak into the childrens' ward to get to see Santa?

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Sway)
Post #: 6
RE: Who's working Christmas then.... - 30/11/2012 2:58:58 PM   
Sway

I bloody hope so!

"I am not in danger, Skyler. I AM the danger! A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks!"

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 7
RE: Who's working Christmas then.... - 30/11/2012 3:59:53 PM   
homersimpson_esq

Can you sneak into the Children's Ward and BE Santa?

You get to eat all the pies.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to Sway)
Post #: 8
RE: Who's working Christmas then.... - 30/11/2012 4:01:26 PM   
sanchia

And sherry, lots and lots of sherry.

Nothing to see here.

Post #: 9
RE: Who's working Christmas then.... - 30/11/2012 4:04:50 PM   
Sway

quote:

ORIGINAL: homersimpson_esq

The pies sound appealing. Not sure how realistic Santa is going to look while wheeling around a drip next to him though?

Post #: 10
RE: Who's working Christmas then.... - 30/11/2012 4:41:01 PM   
homersimpson_esq

Given Santa is massively massively old, I'd imagine that's a more realistic vision of him than a fat man in a suit.

Bristol Bad Film Club

(in reply to Sway)
Post #: 11
RE: Who's working Christmas then.... - 30/11/2012 4:45:30 PM   
elab49

Children, please don't read Homer's posts.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Post #: 12
RE: Who's working Christmas then.... - 30/11/2012 5:12:28 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

Thankfully I work with a handful of ex-ghurkas and they don't celebrate Christmas so they're more than willing to cover it for us that do celebrate it. This year I have 24th, 25th and 26th off then I'm in for two days (where nothing happens, even more so than usual) so thjose two days will consist of movie watching and Xbox playing, then I'm off for six days over the New Year. It's fallen pretty great for me this year!

Empires Top 100 Movie Characters of All Time! - VOTE NOW by clicking HERE

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 13
RE: Who's working Christmas then.... - 30/11/2012 5:15:48 PM   
elab49

My office closes through the New Year but technically I don't spend a lot of time there. Since I have early January deadlines I'll be doing some work but I'm hoping I'll have done enough that I can decide for myself when to do that, rather than grabbing every spare second during the Xmas meal type thing.

quote:

(in reply to Your Funny Uncle)
Post #: 14
RE: Who's working Christmas then.... - 30/11/2012 8:29:42 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sway

quote:

ORIGINAL: homersimpson_esq

The pies sound appealing. Not sure how realistic Santa is going to look while wheeling around a drip next to him though?

Or being female?

That sucks that you may be in hospital on Chrimbo but it's best getting it done so you can get better, eh?

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to Sway)
Post #: 15
RE: Who's working Christmas then.... - 30/11/2012 10:04:28 PM   
Mister Coe

I think I've already posted a couple of (slightly) drunken posts about working for the NHS, so we won't go there again...

I'm working every single holiday over the Christmas and New Year period, gonna have Christmas Day with my Mum on the 29th. It's not a problem, I think people who have kids (which I don't) should have those days off. Hope they have a good 'un.

What gets to me is how many people are so damn ungrateful that people are doing their best to help them with restricted holiday services and if they don't get EXACTLY what they want, there and then, then it's the end of the world and the need for some phone-call abuse comes into play... because it's all Christmas and shit...

I hope you don't need to call out-of-hours services over the Christmas period, really I don't, but if you do, please bear in mind that we're doing the best we can with what we've got...

Say what now?

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 16
RE: Who's working Christmas then.... - 1/12/2012 10:38:21 AM   
steffols

I've worked every Christmas Eve for about six years. I don't mind working around Christmas, it's actually a nice time to be at work as everyone seems a tiny bit nicer to each other.

This year however, CE falls on a Monday and I don't usually work Monday as they're always covered by staff who work the same shifts every week so I'm hoping that this year I may get it off which would give me three days off around Christmas!

It's midnight in Manhattan, this is no time to get cute, it's a mad dog's promenade,
So walk tall, or baby don't walk at all.

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 17
RE: Who's working Christmas then.... - 1/12/2012 11:40:32 AM   
jonson

I'm off from 21st Dec to 2nd Jan. I've never worked over Christmas, apart from when I worked behind a bar, which to be honest was really enjoyable. I get bored very quickly, so shall probably squeeze half a dozen games of golf in, a trip to Yorkshire Sculpture Park and will probably sit in the local boozer most nights having that extra few that I'd normally resist.

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 18
RE: Who's working Christmas then.... - 1/12/2012 11:46:31 AM   
Hood_Man

quote:

ORIGINAL: steffols

I've worked every Christmas Eve for about six years. I don't mind working around Christmas, it's actually a nice time to be at work as everyone seems a tiny bit nicer to each other.

Same, I'm actually looking forward to seeing the office decorated and wishing my customers a Merry Christmas (and getting the same in return too).

Saying that, I've managed to get the 20th to the 27th off his year, so I've got a nice stretch

(in reply to steffols)
Post #: 19
RE: Who's working Christmas then.... - 2/12/2012 4:22:36 AM   
giggity

Uni finishes on the 14th december and starts again on the 7th january but i'm a senior student which requires me to stay at my halls of residence and tend to any problems that arise like fire alarms and noise complaints (we get half of our rent taken off in return) Someone has to be there even during christmas and new year, luckily i managed to get a the 18th til the 30th off so i can go back home for christmas while someone else works the christmas day shift. But it means I have to work on new years eve which will suck as i know just 20 minutes away my friends will all be partying and i'll be stuck in an almost desolate halls of residence doing nothing.

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 20
RE: Who's working Christmas then.... - 2/12/2012 4:40:06 AM   
Powka

23rd-26-th working night shifts, from the early evening till late morning, and sleeping during the day. Yay for me.

Well suck me sideways!

(in reply to giggity)
Post #: 21
RE: Who's working Christmas then.... - 2/12/2012 5:28:43 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

Might be working over christmas= more money

(in reply to Powka)
Post #: 22
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> Who's working Christmas then.... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI