Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discussion Thread

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discussion Thread Page: <<   < prev  74 75 [76] 77 78   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 16/3/2013 6:21:18 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

10. Paths Of Glory (2nd view, 1957, Stanley Kubrick) - 5/5
Kubrick's second best film.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 2251
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 16/3/2013 9:32:30 AM   
matty_b

Dead Ringers (David Cronenberg)

Jeremy Irons is astonishing. There's never any question that this is a set of twins we're talking about, interacting with each other and both with their own distinct personality. It's a really incredible performance. Cronenberg shoots the twins downfall with a chilly eye, as their world of sex and drugs eventually turns into one of madness, but Irons' remarkable work ensures that there's always a human and tragic heart to the story. (4)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 2252
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 16/3/2013 10:29:41 AM   
Qwerty Norris

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gimli The Dwarf

What's his first?

I do love Paths of Glory....

Qwerty's Top 10 of 2013 (so far)

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
9. The Place Beyond the Pines
10. Wreck-it Ralph

Post #: 2253
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 16/3/2013 10:31:20 AM   
Beetlejuice!

2. Ran - 10/10
First viewing for me for this stunning movie. Its a grand, epic scale piece of work from visionary director Akira Kurosawa. There are some truly stunning sequences in amongst the smaller moments of human emotion. Its a big movie, is probably the best way to put it, from the scale of the huge battle sequences down to the acting style. An unforgettable masterpiece and a very clever adaptation of Shakespeare's King Lear.

22. Seven Psychopaths - 8/10
Whilst it at first threatens to fall into the Tarantino-esque style that riddled the crime films of the latter '90s, you only have to see that its Martin McDonagh who is running this thing so expect neat twists, dark comedy and a unique little crime comedy with a style all of its own. The cast, although hardly pushed, are all great, particularly Sam Rockwell.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 2254
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 16/3/2013 6:13:58 PM   
Rebel scum

26-Cinema Paradiso (Tornatore, 1988) 8/10
Spoilers.

For the first two-thirds or so, this is a moving, excellent slice of life, shown through the lens of a sleepy town's cinema and the projectionists who run it. Even when a love subplot turns up in the second half, it's viewed through the mirror of the cinema, and it remains the focus.
UNTIL
The final act swings around and changes the emphasis of the entire film from an ode to cinema to a doomed romance film that happened to have a cinema in it. From what I've read, I saw the extended, let's-make-the-romance-thing-as-tragic-as-possible cut, which kinda wrecked the film. The big emotional climax should be the cinema coming down and the montage of kisses that constitute the final five minutes, but instead we get tragedy whalloping us in the face for half an hour, and it's not as effective. From what I've read, it sounds like the shorter version is vastly superior.

"We are not safe! A dark menace rises to the east! Duckies go quack! Cows go moo! I want ice cream. Verily, will you two hobbits join my quest?"

(in reply to Beetlejuice!)
Post #: 2255
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 16/3/2013 6:17:34 PM   
matty_b

Yeah, it is.

quote:

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 2256
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 16/3/2013 8:14:37 PM   
rick_7

There are three versions. I think the longest, the director's cut, is easily the best - more troubling and emotionally complex, and not such an obvious crowd-pleaser, but staggeringly brilliant. That was the one finally released in 2002. The "international version", the shortest cut of the film, was a re-tooled, sanitised version of Tornatore's film that remains incredibly charming and easy to swallow, but also feels a little incomplete (an impression not helped by running highlights of the excised footage - sans sound - over the end credits). The original film, which may be the one you saw, feels like a halfway house, neither tight and sentimental enough to win over large swathes of the globe, but also not deep enough to delve into the lives of these characters in the way that the longer version allows. All three are great, but unlike most I think that the director's cut IS Cinema Paradiso, and if you haven't seen it, you're missing half the story.

*Wendy Hiller fanboy*

Blog: DJANGO! DUMBO! DESPICABLE ME 2! Plus: other stuff.

"Nothin's really been right since Sam the Lion died."

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 2257
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 16/3/2013 8:52:57 PM   
Rebel scum

Having done some research on the google, it looks like I saw the 155-minute original version, so the worst edit of the film . I'm not sure what's added to the DC, but if it's more love story gubbins that would only compound my problem with it, since the emphasis would shift further from the cinema to the romance.

"We are not safe! A dark menace rises to the east! Duckies go quack! Cows go moo! I want ice cream. Verily, will you two hobbits join my quest?"

(in reply to rick_7)
Post #: 2258
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 16/3/2013 11:00:00 PM   
matty_b

Con Air (Simon West)

I really should pretty hate much Con Air. West directs like a shameless copy of Michael Bay (seriously, I completely assumed this was a Bay film and was stunned to discover otherwise) with sunsets, helicopters and blooming orange explosions, complete with a bad Nicholas Cage haircut. But it's so in tune with its ridiculous self, that by the end, despite gratituous LeAnn Rimes, it's won me over. SPOILERS As the plane containing numerous homicidal lunatics crashes along the Las Vegas strip as Steve Buscemi hollers out He's Got The Whole World In His Hands tunelessly, it achieves an insane level of twisted humour that the whole film has been building towards. Likewise, the way that the chief villains are finished off is pure Looney Tunes stuff and the film knows it. A huge part of this is John Malkovich's performance as Cyrus the Virus, chief nasty on the plane. He has huge fun in the role, but only in the sense that he knows that he still has to be the nastiest bastard you've seen in a good long while, and he is - he's like Hannibal Lecter serving you complimentary nuts. I'll repeat, it's everything that I pretty much hate in American action cinema - and yet Con Air does it brilliantly. (4)

quote:

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 2259
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 17/3/2013 12:08:35 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

ORIGINAL: Qwerty Norris

quote:

What's his first?

I do love Paths of Glory....

Eyes Wide Shut.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Much more better!

(in reply to Qwerty Norris)
Post #: 2260
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 17/3/2013 12:15:53 AM   
scarface666brooksy!!

quote:

Eyes Wide Shut.

I love Eyes Wide Shut but it wouldn't make my Top 5 Kubrick. Either way it's awesome to see some love for it I'm pretty sure the general opinion of it is less then positive

My Aussie Film Thread - Film #7 - Patrick (1978)

Post #: 2261
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 17/3/2013 12:16:52 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

ORIGINAL: scarface666brooksy!!

quote:

Eyes Wide Shut.

I love Eyes Wide Shut but it wouldn't make my Top 5 Kubrick. Either way it's awesome to see some love for it I'm pretty sure the general opinion of it is less then positive

Why do you think I like it?

Much more better!

(in reply to scarface666brooksy!!)
Post #: 2262
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 17/3/2013 12:23:50 AM   
scarface666brooksy!!

quote:

Why do you think I like it?

Your reputation is sometimes overstated though. You have terrific taste in av choices for example

Post #: 2263
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 17/3/2013 12:27:44 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Cheers. Surely everybody likes Fix-It Felix?

6. The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (4th view, 1948, Huston) - 5/5
This is both John Huston's best film (how did the man who made this eventually go on to make Annie) and Bogarts's best film. Bogart's best performance too, but it's Walter Huston who runs away with the film.

Much more better!

Post #: 2264
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 17/3/2013 12:31:21 AM   
scarface666brooksy!!

quote:

Cheers. Surely everybody likes Fix-It Felix?

Hopefully. He marks the first time Jack McBrayer hasn't annoyed me relentlessly

Post #: 2265
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 17/3/2013 12:34:27 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Looking at his filmography, Wreck-It Ralph stands out like a giant redwood in a field of nettles.

Much more better!

Post #: 2266
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 17/3/2013 12:42:06 AM   
scarface666brooksy!!

quote:

Looking at his filmography, Wreck-It Ralph stands out like a giant redwood in a field of nettles.

That's essentially it. I find him marginally more annoying then Jon Heder or Michael Cera which is quite a feat.

Post #: 2267
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 17/3/2013 2:45:54 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

THE MASTER (2012)

Paul Thomas Anderson

The film revolves around a Man who,unbeknown to himself,is lost,disturbed,twisted,crooked, a alcoholic and someone who has animalistic tendencies.The man is Freddie Quell (Joaquin Phoenix) and through the early stages of this film he stumbles onto a path,a path that will define who
he is and who others see him as.

The person who brings him into this path is Lancaster Dodd (Philip Seymour Hoffman),a man who is confident in the strength of himself and the occupied religion he has created "The Cause" alongside his his assured wife Peggy Dodd (Amy Adams) and son (Jesse Plemons) and daughter (Ambyr Childers).

From there first unintentional meeting ,of Lancaster Dodd and Freddie Quell,it becomes apparent to the audience that Quell has given Lancaster a reason to find him of interest and ,above all else, someone he can study and have the intention of seducing.The two also form a strong relationship and become good friends throughout the course of the film,much to the subtle dismay of Lancaster's other "cause" believers who still doubt whether there beliefs have rubbed off on Quell or whether he is someone who is well and truly lost/aimless in the world.

As the film progress's we (the audience) see a subtle and realistic change in Quell's attitude,but unlike other top Hollywood films this doesn't follow a cliche of complete change.Quell still drinks,he still has instances of being flippant,he's still unreadable at times and he still has his aggression but his aggressive-streaks are geared on the notion of protection towards his friend (Lancaster),as he perceives doubters as enemy's.

This in itself is the basic concept of the story but the film offers so much more on a intelligent bearing on Man,Religion,Cults,War and the human psychological conscience/damage,that any sense of this being a simple dot-to-dot story is (imo) widely off the mark.

The performances of the cast involved are brilliantly executed in the film.Phoenix and Hoffman are easy standouts,largely down to there on-screen time,while Amy Adams plays her role with a touch of subtle realism.

The filmography and films general art direction is ,again,captured and worked on to a exceptional high standard and the films details don't feel over bearing,there is a smoothness and class in this direction.

The score is great.Like Jonny Greenwood's 'There Will Be Blood' work, this films soundtrack has an immerse quality within itself.
The score never feels intrusive or over bearing but what it does do is add a certain freshness and originality to scenes that may have occupied a more unremarkable backing track.

A film that will be re-watched time and again and one that I might see things I missed in my first outing.Great film,
but my only disappointment would be the fact i didn't get off my backside and see this remarkable film in Cinema.
5/5

< Message edited by OPEN YOUR EYES -- 18/3/2013 8:22:14 AM >

Post #: 2268
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 17/3/2013 4:40:53 PM   
directorscut

Air Force One (1997, Wolfgang Petersen): Like The Rock which I viewed last week, Air Force One is an action movie with a fair amount of cheese that his elevated by its performers who bring it a layer of creditability. Few actors in the history of cinema portray the action hero with as much conviction as Harrison Ford and this was and this was the last of such performances before he started phoning it in in wastes of his talents like Hollywood Homicide and Firewall. Gary Oldman is also much better as a villain here than in Leon or The Fifth Element were the director forgot to reign him in. Wolfgang Petersen handles the action like a pro and Jerry Goldsmith provides a rousing main theme. Unfortunately this is also a classic example of an action film that goes on too long. There is a natural moment to end the film ("Get off my plane!") but then film film goes on for another twenty minutes adding complication upon complications to the point of exhaustion. Nonetheless, Air Force One is a solid action film with lots of thrills that reminds us of a time when the US Presidency was cool. (4)

Cœur fidèle (1923, Jean Epstein): Simply and unquestionably, an absolute masterpiece. This is cinema in its purest form; a virtuoso kaleidoscope of indelible, unforgettable images and trail-blazing cinematic technique that tell a universal human story powerfully and vividly. Made in 1923 you could easily believe this was made in the late '20s at the peak of silent cinema's artistic and technical achievements. The cinematography, the composition and the editing work in perfect unison creating a rhythm that feels fresh and exciting even today in this age of rapid editing. The picture quality on the Blu-ray is magnificent, the images are so vivid and clear that its difficult to believe you're watching a ninety year old film. Instead you are looking out of a window into another time and place. Coeur Fidele is a film that shakes you up and will leave an everlasting impression on you, comparable with Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans. (5)

St. Francis, God's Jester (1950, Roberto Rossellini): A very fine film about the early days of St. Francis of Assisi. Anyone expecting a stuffy, humorless film might be surprised about the playfulness of the film. St. Francis may have been the inventor of the face palm. He does it quite often in reaction to the well intentioned, but dumb actions of one of his followers. Rosselini has a rare trait of being able to make a scene both horrifying and moving as in the case of Francis' meeting with a leper. Apparently Truffaut called this "the most beautiful film in the world". I'd say Truffaut should watch more movies. It isn't that good but it's still a moving experience highlighting the virtue of brotherly love. (4)

Robin Hood: Princes of Thieves (1991, Kevin Reynolds):

Look into my eyes you will see,
What this films means to me
Search your heart, search your soul
And when you find it there you'll search no more

Don't tell me it's not worth three stars
You can't tell me it's not worth three stars
You know it's true
Prince of Thieves, it was good for you too

There's no villain, like Alan Rickman
And no other, could be better
There's weird angles by Kevin Reynolds
All the time, all the way, yeah

You know it's true

[Three minute instrumental outro]

(3)

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to OPEN YOUR EYES)
Post #: 2269
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 18/3/2013 12:02:23 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

2. Arsenic and Old Lace (6th view, 1944, Frank Capra) - 5/5
Absolutely one of the finest comedies ever made and it saddens me that we'll probably never see any film quite as fun much fun as this again. Certainly no live-action film from the last 45 years can come close. I'm always torn between this and Bringing Up Baby for Cary Grant's best film/performance, and I usually end up going for whichever film I saw the most recently. His crazy, wild-eyed, double takes are a joy to behold, and his panicked ramblings as he tries to make sense of the situation are superb, there are at least four lines that, probably not all that funny out of context, leave me in tears of laughter. The rest of the cast are brilliant too, includin Boris K, sorry, Raymond Massey (his best performance too), Peter Lorre, Jack Carson, Edward Everett Horton and Josephine Hull and Jean Adair as the two most likeable killers in film history.

22. The Shop Around The Corner (2nd view, 1940, Ernst Lubitsch) - 4/5
Charming romantic comedy with two lovely lead performances.

Much more better!

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 2270
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 18/3/2013 8:00:53 AM   
matty_b

Dances With Wolves: Director's Cut (Kevin Costner)

Not so much extra dancing, but definitely more wolves. (4)

quote:

Post #: 2271
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 18/3/2013 8:08:18 AM   
MOTH

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

Robin Hood: Princes of Thieves (1991, Kevin Reynolds):

Look into my eyes you will see,
What this films means to me
Search your heart, search your soul
And when you find it there you'll search no more

You know it's true

There's no villain, like Alan Rickman
And no other, could be better
There's weird angles by Kevin Reynolds
All the time, all the way, yeah

You know it's true

[Three minute instrumental outro]

(3)

heh heh

I've only gone and set up a blog! This week I've been mostly reviewing The Lego Movie and Wadjda. Click: The Fast Picture Show

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 2272
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 18/3/2013 10:17:57 AM   
AxlReznor

Ong-Bak (Prachya Pinkaew, 2003)
Note to self: do not steal anything from Tony Jaa. He takes it very personally.
When gangsters steal the head of a Buddha statue (confusingly the Ong-Bak of the title... perhaps it's actually not a Buddha at all, but a Boddhivasta), country boy Ting travels to Bangkok to get it back. That's the entire plot... but who needs plot when you can just spend the majority of two hours watching a man do unpleasant things to people's heads. Yep, it's basically a showreel for Tony Jaa's insane talents at both Muay Thai, and crazy stunts. Jumping over and through increasingly dangerous things (including barbed wire, two panes of glass and fire - the latter of which results in him kicking some poor bastard's ass whilst his legs are still aflame), as well as over people's heads. Yep, it's pretty mindless stuff, and so far Jaa's only other decent film so far has almost the exact same plot (replace stone head with elephants, and Bangkok with Australia and hey presto! Warrior King!), but this is one of the few times when the action is of a quality high enough to make it totally worth it. And it's perfect viewing for days like yesterday when I can't be bothered to do or think about anything (9/10)

I've yet to see The Raid, but I'd be very surprised if Iko Uwais' acrobatics are even close to Jaa's.

(in reply to MOTH)
Post #: 2273
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 18/3/2013 10:19:55 AM   
AxlReznor

quote:

ORIGINAL: Beetlejuice!

2. Ran - 10/10
First viewing for me for this stunning movie. Its a grand, epic scale piece of work from visionary director Akira Kurosawa. There are some truly stunning sequences in amongst the smaller moments of human emotion. Its a big movie, is probably the best way to put it, from the scale of the huge battle sequences down to the acting style. An unforgettable masterpiece and a very clever adaptation of Shakespeare's King Lear.

Excellent movie. The finest of the Kurosawa's I've seen so far (but then other than this I've only seen Seven Samurai, Kagemusha and Madadayo).

Post #: 2274
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 18/3/2013 10:48:48 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

ORIGINAL: AxlReznor

I've yet to see The Raid, but I'd be very surprised if Iko Uwais' acrobatics are even close to Jaa's.

They're both just as boring to watch

Much more better!

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 2275
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 18/3/2013 1:08:42 PM   
rick_7

Miss Pinkerton (Lloyd Bacon, 1932) - A static, muddled Old Dark House rehash that crams an awful lot of confusing plot and awkward pauses into its 65 minutes. If you want to see Joan Blondell dressed as a nurse, you won't be disappointed, and her bright, brassy performance does provide a sprinkle of golden age gold dust, but it's held captive in a slow and unsatisfying horror-mystery given the usual perfunctory treatment by one of Warner's least creative directors. Bacon throws in a couple of Expressionistic shots he's lifted from Nosferatu, but does nothing to quicken the action or make the story more clear. George Brent's detective seems overly preoccupied with how handsome his number one suspect is. (2)

Pale Rider (Clint Eastwood, 1985) - Part of ClintFest '13 - A grizzled mystery man (Flint Lockwood) saves a homesteader (Michael Moriarty) from a shellacking at the hands of a gold tycoon's hired goons, and becomes a symbol of hope to the community of brutalised miners, while sending Moriarty's fiancee (Carrie Snodgress) and her 14-year-old daughter wild with lust. If Clint's High Plains Drifter was a delirious subversion of the "outsider hero" seen in such films as Shane, then this is basically just a remake of Shane, right down to the kid yelling "Come back! We all love you!" at the close, an act of outlandish thievery that frankly amounts to taking the piss. There's also a slight lack of dramatic tension that comes with having a hero who can teleport. Still, it's a solid, entertaining allegorical Western - Clint's "preacher" being a messenger of death sent from God - that boasts some truly iconic imagery, particularly during its climactic shoot-out, and a pair of very good performances from Clint East-woooooood and his new best mate. A young, svelte Chris Penn turns up as a bad guy, looking eerily like his Argentinean brother Sean. (3)

< Message edited by rick_7 -- 18/3/2013 8:03:43 PM >

*Wendy Hiller fanboy*

Blog: DJANGO! DUMBO! DESPICABLE ME 2! Plus: other stuff.

"Nothin's really been right since Sam the Lion died."

Post #: 2276
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 18/3/2013 5:08:43 PM   
Beetlejuice!

quote:

ORIGINAL: AxlReznor

quote:

ORIGINAL: Beetlejuice!

2. Ran - 10/10

Excellent movie. The finest of the Kurosawa's I've seen so far (but then other than this I've only seen Seven Samurai, Kagemusha and Madadayo).

Yeah I've only seen a handful myself, all solid 8/10s: Seven Samurai, Rashomon, Yojimbo and Akira Kurosawa's Dreams. Ran is definitely my favourite of his so far. Will definitely check out the rest of his works.

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 2277
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 18/3/2013 5:49:53 PM   
Beetlejuice!

32. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix - 7/10
Probably the most problematic of the books also becomes a bit of a shaky film adaptation. There is just too much time away from the adults of the cast and the kids are not strong enough actors to create the tension and fear of the threat of Voldemort. Whilst Imelda Staunton has gleeful fun as the new teacher, her character is not as strong as the likes of the ones that were added in other episodes by the likes of Thewlis, Broadbent, Branagh or Gleeson. However the film does have some excellent moments, least of which comes within a spectacular final half hour where we finally get the adults battling one another and some terrific special effects. Voldemort's attempted possession of Harry within the ministry still remains possibly one of the finest scenes of the entire series.

40. Nightwatch - 3/10
An ugly little thriller that starts well with a creepy atmosphere but just loops about all over the place with some pretty nasty subplots. A fresh faced Ewan McGregor tries his best but is let down by a daft script. Rest of the cast are on autopilot, with Patricia Arquette in particular performing below standard in an admittedly thankless role as the girlfriend. However there is some nice moments thanks to the always reliably bonkers Brad Dourif as a sarky doctor.

Post #: 2278
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 19/3/2013 12:25:33 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

32. Berberian Sound Studio (1st view, 2012, Peter Strickland) - 4/5*
This was amazing until it took a turn down WTF Alley at which point it just became infuriating. Toby Jones was brilliant though. I want someone to make The Equestrian Vortex.

68. Flash Point (1st view, 2007, Wilson Yip) - 3/5*
Contains what might be the longest ever fight I've ever seen between two people. It felt like the entire final third of the film was a policeman and a bad guy beating the crap out of each other. I was glad when it ended.

Much more better!

Post #: 2279
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 19/3/2013 12:40:56 AM   
scarface666brooksy!!

Oz: The Great and Powerful (2013, Raimi, 1st viewing)

Watching this with someone who had never seen the 1939 Wizard of Oz was a bit of a struggle, but overall I didn't mind it. (For me at least) James Franco is always watchable, as is Zach Braff and I really liked his monkey character (in fact maybe more then anyone). The casting of Mila Kunis was a terrible decision though, putting her up against Rachel Weisz and Michelle Williams was a bit painful to watch at times. The visuals were obviously a draw-card for the film and they looked good but nothing massively out-standing. Oz wasn't so bad that I would want to punch anyone who said it was better then Fleming/Vidor's iconic masterpiece, but I probably would still laugh at them for the next fifty years and ignore any film related opinion they had as well Raimi has done so much better but also so much worse... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOtpeYERu9w

Post #: 2280
Page:   <<   < prev  74 75 [76] 77 78   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discussion Thread Page: <<   < prev  74 75 [76] 77 78   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI