Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discussion Thread

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discussion Thread Page: <<   < prev  73 74 [75] 76 77   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 14/3/2013 6:27:38 PM   
Qwerty Norris

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Qwerty Norris
(For the record gimli I genuinely admire your ability to embrace anything & everything and certain folk here could learn a lot from you)
3/5

Care to name names?

I thought it was quite obvious in my Arbitrage musings.

Qwerty's Top 10 of 2013 (so far)

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
9. The Place Beyond the Pines
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 2221
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 14/3/2013 6:36:36 PM   
garvielloken

But elab already watches rubbish. Case in point Die Hard 4.0. Although she does love 50s golden era Japanese cinema so it just about balances itself out.

< Message edited by garvielloken -- 14/3/2013 6:37:53 PM >

Exactly six miles north of Skagg Mountain in the Valley of Pain, there lives an evil devilmonster. His name is Bingo Gas Station Motel Cheeseburger With A Side Of Aircraft Noise And You'll Be Gary Indiana.

Razzle them, dazzle them. Razzle dazzle them.

(in reply to Qwerty Norris)
Post #: 2222
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 14/3/2013 6:37:59 PM   
Qwerty Norris

quote:

ORIGINAL: garvielloken

But elab already watches rubbish. Case in point Die Hard 4.0.

I stand corrected.

Number 5 though makes it seem great in comparison...

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to garvielloken)
Post #: 2223
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 14/3/2013 6:50:28 PM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: Qwerty Norris

44. Arbitrage (2012, Jarecki)

The script is a little contrived at points, yet in the end this is still a very solid drama which is more about the upper class evading the law than anything to do with stockbroking and finance. It's also further proof that elab can be very harsh with her critique and probably should watch more rubbish to gain perspective sometimes - Gimli - help her out? (For the record gimli I genuinely admire your ability to embrace anything & everything and certain folk here could learn a lot from you)
3/5

As Helen eloquently blogged post Transformers 2 - even in bad films we deserve better bad films than this.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

Post #: 2224
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 14/3/2013 6:54:27 PM   
Qwerty Norris

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

As Helen eloquently blogged post Transformers 2 - even in bad films we deserve better bad films than this.

Comparing Arbitrage to Transformers?!? I rest my case!

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 2225
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 14/3/2013 9:03:01 PM   
Deviation

In these recent days, I discovered there was a Film Festival in Luxembourg. The Place Beyond the Pines was showing. I missed it. MISSED IT, though I did not miss these:

The River (Jean Renoir, 1951, USA/INDIA/FRA)- The music is pretty, the actors of any gender are pretty, the story is emotional, entertaining and manages to features some philosophical complexity that does justice to the culture it is portraying, and also quite pretty, and the images are absolutely pretty. It's not as strong or as that second half of Grand Illusion, but it's far more consistent and tight in its pacing and story, and is equally as effective and emotional

(10)

Hiroshima Mon Amour (Alain Resnais, 1959, FRA/JPN)- Riva really doesn't have any luck with these Amours. Her most successful one will become a brutal test of self-responsibility and love for Trintinguant when she has a stroke, and this one which shown her affairs with a Japanese man in Hiroshima post-WW2 and her doomed one with a German officer in Nevers, WW2. The dialogue is occasionally stuck in ambiguity which never really becomes pretension, the cinematography is stunning, and the way Resnais edits and cuts flashbacks with the contemporary narrative is something still effective till today. The first 14 minutes, showing flashbacks of the effects the nuclear bomb in Hiroshima while as the man denies that such events have been seen or happened, is some of the greatest cinema out there.

(10)

Wreck-it Ralph (Rich Moore, 2012, USA)- Fantastic, incredibly imaginative even with all the plot references and really quite beautiful, even if the plot feels occasionally too slight and that twist makes the film less powerful or interesting. Paranorman STILL DA BEST though (if not for not taking the direction of W-i R and introduce a big baddy).

(9)

Fateless (Lajos Koltai, 2005, HUN/GER/UK/ISR)- The European co-production deals with a Hungarian Jew who ends up travelling throughout various concentration camps in WW2, doing his best to endure, and flows less like a narrative and more a series of vignettes of certain events that have happened to him during the Holocaust, which by itself, makes it a rather interesting take on the Holocaust depending on the scene. The cinematography and music are incredibly emotive (Morricone DUH) even if they have the tendency of well, falling into the manipulative (a recreation of the most questionable bit of Schindler's List is disappointing) and the incredibly sentimental, the direction is fascinating in its minimalism and economic way of showing a lot with the simplest thing, but it has an annoying tendency of fading into black. The most fascinating thing thing happens in the third act, after he is saved by James Bond from the concentration camps, another challenge appears in the guise of trying to fit back with Hungarian society and his remaining family members, which while an interesting part of the film, it feels too short and rushed. It's a strong film with some flaws.

(8)

Anna Karenina (Joe Wright, 2012, UK) - I have not read the book so I cannot say how it compares to that. In fact, I don't even care, because that's just a source that is a book and this is an adaptation on a totally different medium, and what a use of the medium it is, using a theater as a background for many wonderfully artificial sets that recall the best of Fellini and the very few good ideas Moulin Rouge had, physical movements and camera swings that are almost balletic, a glorious sense of passion unleashing itself out of the artifice of the aristocratic culture it is showing, some unforgettable moments and some great performances throughout. The plot and romances about love verge from poetic and beautiful into the sentimental, which considering the reputation of Tolstoy's novel and what it is, seems somewhat insulting, but it is delivered with such panache, style and all-round attractiveness that I simple cannot bother that much really.

(8)

Fellini's City of Women (Federico Fellini, 1980, ITA/FRA)- Mastroianni's Don Juan ends up in a region of Italy dominated by women. OH YES. They're all radical feminists. OH NO. Then he ends up saved by a man. OH PHEW. Who is a fading ultra-masculinity. ERM...Also, the greatest set of boobs in cinema ever not to be seen in Russ Meyer. HUR-FUCKING-RAH. Possibly the most sexually boorish and gaudy thing Fellini has ever done, it's also a rather fascinating, humoristic ride even though not-really-ever-truly-laugh-inducing of a middle-aged womanising man who finds himself observing a chaotic radical feminist group which is the progress in the first act, and a fading, dying and decaying world of ultra-masculinity and doesn't know what exactly he is observing and this outsider perception is possibly the greatest strength of the film. Like most of Fellini's stuff, some of the scenes work, some don't and go on forever, some are simply awkward to watch and some of intensely moving, but the end result is something which is quite witty and really quite unforgettable, if not for all the right reasons.

(8)

Fresh Guacamole (PES, 2012, USA, Short Film)- Better then Paperman.

(8)

Cosmopolis (David Cronenberg, 2012, CAN/FRA/POR/ITA)- Cronenberg's ridiculously divisive feature is an interesting one that, rather disappointingly considering the director's CV, never really elevates itself to greatness, be it for the constant, never pausing talk which sometimes is in itself, occasionally infuriatingly intentionally obtuse for the sake of vagueness, stuck in its own abstraction and obscurity and constantly didactic, with the direction verging from genius to unspectacularly theatrical depending on the moment. However, some of the talk itself, from the unnatural way it is delivered, the almost lively quality it has, the genuinely interesting performances it has delivering it, mixed with Cronenberg's direction which in some occasions gives great images. The theme feels cluttered and disjointed, with major parts left out and what's left being rather impenetrable in occasions (fuck knows what the barber scene meant) and rather maddening, but for most part I couldn't be bored by it, it has that fascinating mesmerising quality within it.

(8)

The Last Thakur (Sadik Ahmad, 2008, BAN/UK)- More Bengalis, though different Bengalis from those of The River, with this Yojimbo of sorts told from the perception of a child whose perception of people tend to contradict those seen on the frame, from the villainous Hindu Thakur (who is actually a rather nice guy) to the respectable Muslim politician (who is actually quite a corrupt guilt-ridden flawed bastard of a man) as the film slowly builds to its explanation of who is what and who did what. There's a seemingly unneeded excess of soft-focus and the ending is a bit disappointing, and the performances can be stilted or inconsistent, but it's a good thriller and a rather interesting way of telling the story.

(7)

Bullhead (Michael R. Roksam, 2011, BEL/NET)- Whenever it is set around Belgian Ryan Gosling character, psychology and performance, it is incredible, it feels underdeveloped (bar a very playful moment when two Wallonians are explaining the plot to the police) and underwritten. There is a funny sense of humour throughout which also makes it more fun, and the music, cinematography and the boobs of Belgian Ryan Gosling's love interest (kinda) are fantastic.

(7)

Dark Shadows (Tim Burton, 2012, USA)- The first of Burton's two films that flopped in the States last year, and also by far the weakest, yet like Frankenweenie, quite interesting, but unlike Frankenweenie, not really well, good. It's his most outright perverted (not hard when the sumptuous Eva Green is looking particularly sumptuous) and tonally closer to the violence and villainy of Batman Returns and Beetlejuice. These are good things, and so is the thing going on where the anti-hero kills even innocents on-screen then the antagonist does, the performances are mostly strong and the visuals are excellent. Then well, you have a script which is too muddled and bloated with way too much stuff, never sure on which plot it wants to focus on, adding some plot-elements that are only slightly referenced before and other plot elements it completely forgets on for long patches of the film. The result is a film that's not really good but neither really bad. So it's mediocre.

(5)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

I really wish I could go down to see Privates

Post #: 2226
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 14/3/2013 9:07:45 PM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation

Fresh Guacamole (PES, 2012, USA, Short Film)- Better then Paperman.

(8)

Sadly, this now puts you in my boat. Congrats

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 2227
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 14/3/2013 10:45:25 PM   
AxlReznor

Infernal Affairs II (Andrew Lau/Alan Mak, 2003)
A prequel to the previous year's hit crime thriller sees the characters of Lau Kin-ming and Chan Wing-yan (this time played by Edison Chen and Shawn Yue) be relegated to secondary characters as more attention is given to the relationship between Anthony Wong's Inspector Wong, and Eric Tsang's Sam. At this point, Sam is still a low level enforcer for the Ngai Triad gang, and the movie kicks off after the murder of the head of the Ngai family. The gang war that erupts, as well as the personal toll on the characters takes place in the six years preceding the Hong Kong handover.
Wong and Tsang's performances are brilliant in this movie, and their respective arcs really serve to muddy up the black-and-white dichotomy you assumed their characters represented in the original film, so that they're both very very grey.
It doesn't work well as a standalone movie, but as a companion piece to Infernal Affairs, it's great. (8/10)

Unfortunately, somewhere along the line someone decided what this franchise needed was a third movie that instead of the slick, twisty crime movies the first two are is some kind of bizarre psychological horror. The least said about Infernal Affairs III (and it's cheap attempts to bring the entire cast of the original back, despite most of them being dead by the end of it) the better...

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 2228
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 14/3/2013 11:13:46 PM   
scarface666brooksy!!

Martha Marcy May Marlene (2011, Durkin, 1st viewing)

First of all, yes both Olsen and Hawkes were both absolutely fantastic in this film. In fact Olsen puts in one of the best female performances of 2011 which came out of left-field for me (reminds me I should post in the discovery thread). Anywhoo, I was really impressed with this film. It remained quiet and reserved even when it was showing moments that made a chill go up my spine. The entrancing atmosphere really drew me in as well, which is a quality I look for in a film such as this. I'm quite glad I caught up with MMMM, I think it may need a rewatch somewhere down the line but regardless, I liked it quite a lot.

Dr. Caligari (1989, Sayadian, 1st viewing)

What in the fuck did I just witness? While Dr. Caligari could have descended into the pit of "Too weird to be any good", it managed to stay on the side of creative campy fun and was enjoyable while it lasted. Maybe watching the original Caligari film might have provided a sliver of context but at the same time it was just as much fun not knowing what the hell was going on then knowing This is border-line perfect for late night viewing and for anyone curious it's on Youtube somewhere, give it a shot.

Extra tidbit: During the masturbation scene I couldn't tell if the mouth on the screen was a Videodrome reference or not but now I want to do a double-bill of the two.

My Aussie Film Thread - Film #7 - Patrick (1978)

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 2229
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 15/3/2013 12:32:13 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

ORIGINAL: garvielloken

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gimli The Dwarf

I recorded it about 4 years ago. It's still unwatched

I can just imagine you living in a house with stacks of unwatched vhs stretching from floor to ceiling.

You don't know how close to the truth that is

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to garvielloken)
Post #: 2230
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 15/3/2013 2:40:39 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

7. Anatomy of a Murder (2nd view, 1959, Otto Preminger) - 5/5
Ben-Hur Charlton Heston

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Much more better!

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 2231
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 15/3/2013 6:11:34 AM   
scarface666brooksy!!

quote:

Charlton Heston

The truest thing I've ever seen you write on these forums

Through a Glass Darkly (1961, Bergman, 1st viewing)

The third Bergman I've seen may not be as striking or memorable as the other two I've seen (Persona and The Seventh Seal) but it's still excellent by any stretch of the imagination. I'm always a sucker for family drama films that are done right and this portrait of a mentally ill woman trying to co-exist with her brother, husband and father on their small island home is heart-breaking and very low-key. The fact it only has four characters and the location of the film adds a claustrophobic element to the film that makes it hard to focus on anything else. Couple that with some striking cinematography from Sven Nykvist and four great performances, it's starting to become apparent why Bergman is considered in such high regard. Even his smaller films are better then most other director's grand statements.

My Aussie Film Thread - Film #7 - Patrick (1978)

Post #: 2232
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 15/3/2013 10:37:39 AM   
matty_b

The Purple Rose of Cairo (Woody Allen)

Really lovely. Romantic and bittersweet, with both a genuine love for cinema and a love for the human soul all tied up into one bundle with not one duff performance throughout. (4.5)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

Post #: 2233
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 15/3/2013 10:47:25 AM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: scarface666brooksy!!

quote:

Charlton Heston

Rod Steiger - I was black listed, but not for long. I was saved because I could do characters, but friends of mine really suffered. Thatís why I always tangle with Charlton Heston. He wrote to the papers saying he was upset that Elia Kazan didnít get an award from the American institute Ė this was before he received one last year. He said that he was appalled. Well, I wrote a letter to the LA times to say that I too was appalled that friends of mine, great talents who were innocent, died of heart attacks because of stress. Iím appalled because of Senator McCarthy. Iím appalled that these friends of mine only wanted to put food on the table. Iím appalled because Senator Joseph McCarthy went for the Presidentship on the wings of terror, and Iím appalled that Elia Kazan, who used to put Hollywood down, sold his friends out in Washington just to do movies Ė and at the same time was a millionaire from the theatre. I donít think Charlton Heston likes me. Did you know that Heston said that the second amendment, the right to bear arms was more important than the first Ė the freedom of speech? He said that in public. I call him Americaís favourite fascist.

quote:

(in reply to scarface666brooksy!!)
Post #: 2234
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 15/3/2013 10:51:16 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

It should be noted that my choice of smiley was merely to indicate displeasure at Heston winning an oscar for Ben-Hur over James Stewart in Anatomy, not about the man himself. Though that is one great quote from Steiger

Much more better!

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 2235
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 15/3/2013 10:53:37 AM   
elab49

http://www.sabotagetimes.com/people/interview-with-a-legend-rod-steiger/

It's a great read generally. I found it trying to remember which star said he was safe from McCarthy because he was a catholic and a marine!

quote:

Post #: 2236
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 15/3/2013 10:55:19 AM   
AxlReznor

Wow... I really enjoy some of Heston's movies (including Ben Hur), but what the hell was he doing winning Best Actor? He was pretty much the epitome of an unconvincing overactor. I usually like his movies despite him rather than because of him.

Of course, he was also a despicable human being, as that awesome quote illustrates.

Post #: 2237
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 15/3/2013 10:55:33 AM   
matty_b

Heston's a dick. And that's a great quote. But did Kazan testify before or after Waterfront?

quote:

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 2238
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 15/3/2013 11:00:22 AM   
rick_7

The newly rebranded ClintFest '13 continues:

Play Misty for Me (Clint Eastwood, 1971) - When a smug radio DJ - who would be faithful to his girlfriend if only he didn't have so many demons (wanker) - opts to boff Lucille Bluth, little does he know that she's going to go all Stabby Titmus on him. But that's what happens, as Lucille graduates from behaving a bit like me as a teenager - needy, desperate, not very good at dealing with rejection - to behaving like me now: scary, fond of lounge pyjamas and weirdly obsessed with Clint Eastwood. The star's debut behind the camera isn't my sort of film, and isn't very well-directed - goodness knows how he went from this erratic, of-its-time slice of slasher silliness, full of clunky cuts, extraneous coastal footage and ostentatious crane shots, to High Plains Drifter in the space of a year and using the same DP (Bruce Surtees) - but if he hadn't made Play Misty, then I suppose we might never have had Unforgiven, so sitting through it seems a small price to pay. Lucille (oh, OK, Jessica Walter) brings a dynamism and an appealing vulnerability to her role, alongside all the silly shouting and stabbing, but it's not enough to sustain a film this dated, dislikeable and tiresomely sensationalist - especially when Clint and Donna Mills are so utterly dreadful. The "twist", which is set up with an almost insulting lack of subtlety, is fairly well handled once it arrives, though my favourite bit was when the movie decided to dispense with its plot for 15 minutes while everyone went to the Monterey Jazz Festival. Had I been enjoying it up to that point, I might have felt a bit more annoyed. The musical footage includes that popular number Willie and the Hand Jive. Smirk. (2)

*Wendy Hiller fanboy*

Blog: DJANGO! DUMBO! DESPICABLE ME 2! Plus: other stuff.

"Nothin's really been right since Sam the Lion died."

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 2239
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 15/3/2013 11:01:28 AM   
rick_7

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b

Heston's a dick. And that's a great quote. But did Kazan testify before or after Waterfront?

A couple of years before.

*Wendy Hiller fanboy*

Blog: DJANGO! DUMBO! DESPICABLE ME 2! Plus: other stuff.

"Nothin's really been right since Sam the Lion died."

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 2240
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 15/3/2013 11:09:39 AM   
matty_b

Ah, that explains Steiger working with him then.

quote:

(in reply to rick_7)
Post #: 2241
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 15/3/2013 3:06:15 PM   
directorscut

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: scarface666brooksy!!

quote:

Charlton Heston

Rod Steiger - I was black listed, but not for long. I was saved because I could do characters, but friends of mine really suffered. Thatís why I always tangle with Charlton Heston. He wrote to the papers saying he was upset that Elia Kazan didnít get an award from the American institute Ė this was before he received one last year. He said that he was appalled. Well, I wrote a letter to the LA times to say that I too was appalled that friends of mine, great talents who were innocent, died of heart attacks because of stress. Iím appalled because of Senator McCarthy. Iím appalled that these friends of mine only wanted to put food on the table. Iím appalled because Senator Joseph McCarthy went for the Presidentship on the wings of terror, and Iím appalled that Elia Kazan, who used to put Hollywood down, sold his friends out in Washington just to do movies Ė and at the same time was a millionaire from the theatre. I donít think Charlton Heston likes me. Did you know that Heston said that the second amendment, the right to bear arms was more important than the first Ė the freedom of speech? He said that in public. I call him Americaís favourite fascist.

Where was Rod Steiger during the civil rights movement?

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 2242
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 15/3/2013 3:12:11 PM   
elab49

Absolutely - we must interrogate every one on every single thing they have ever done on their life before we let them have an opinion

quote:

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 2243
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 15/3/2013 3:19:55 PM   
directorscut

quote:

Absolutely - we must interrogate every one on every single thing they have ever done on their life before we let them have an opinion

Well if we're going to say "Wow, Rod Steiger what a great guy for his snarky comments about Charlton Heston", perhaps we should compare the good the two did?

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 2244
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 15/3/2013 3:42:14 PM   
elab49

Oh no - absolutely. Then we also get to undermine everything Heston might have done by pointing out all he did. etc etc etc etc etc. And, of course, yourself. In tune with your approach we also need to make sure we ask what you did for civil rights or about Huac so we can decide if whether you're entitled to an opinion? A short summary'd be fine. Then we can prep the questions.

I've no idea what Steiger did re civil rights. Do you? After all, you're implying he did nothing or, at least, certainly not enough to score sufficiently highly to be allowed an opinion on Chuck.

quote:

Post #: 2245
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 15/3/2013 4:14:21 PM   
directorscut

quote:

Oh no - absolutely. Then we also get to undermine everything Heston might have done by pointing out all he did. etc etc etc etc etc. And, of course, yourself. In tune with your approach we also need to make sure we ask what you did for civil rights or about Huac so we can decide if whether you're entitled to an opinion? A short summary'd be fine. Then we can prep the questions.

I find painting a picture that Heston was a villain or a "dick" to be absurd. He had views you might disagree with and he had his flaws, he was human afterall. But can you (or anyone here) say you've done anything close to the good he did as a civil rights activist in your life? I know I haven't.

quote:

I've no idea what Steiger did re civil rights. Do you?

No, that's why I was asking. I did a google search and apart from references to In the Heat of the Night could find nothing. It seems he was too busy getting married and re-married to be involved in such things. From the looks of it he really doesn't have a leg to stand on calling Heston a "fascist".

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 2246
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 15/3/2013 5:38:22 PM   
paul_ie86

10. Troll (1986)
Now here's a film I'd like to see a directorscut of.

My Group Project's facebook page. Please like

Post #: 2247
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 15/3/2013 8:00:15 PM   
matty_b

quote:

(in reply to paul_ie86)
Post #: 2248
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 15/3/2013 8:28:27 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: paul_ie86

10. Troll (1986)
Now here's a film I'd like to see a directorscut of.

The best Harry Potter film ever made

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to paul_ie86)
Post #: 2249
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 15/3/2013 9:50:30 PM   
Rebel scum

13-Laura (Preminger, 1944) 9/10

Every time I watch this I become more and more convinced Waldo is one of cinema's greatest characters.

< Message edited by Rebel scum -- 16/3/2013 9:07:04 AM >

"We are not safe! A dark menace rises to the east! Duckies go quack! Cows go moo! I want ice cream. Verily, will you two hobbits join my quest?"

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 2250
Page:   <<   < prev  73 74 [75] 76 77   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discussion Thread Page: <<   < prev  73 74 [75] 76 77   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI