Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discussion Thread

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discussion Thread Page: <<   < prev  72 73 [74] 75 76   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 13/3/2013 4:25:14 PM   
MonsterCat

It's still a tad dodgy no matter the year in which it was made.

< Message edited by MonsterCat -- 13/3/2013 4:29:48 PM >

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 2191
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 13/3/2013 6:09:37 PM   
Rebel scum

41-The Miracle Maker (Hayes & Sokolov, 2000) 6/10

What surprised me about this film, aside from the absurdly starry cast, is how good it is. Oh, it's no masterpiece, but as a depiction of the life of Jesus for a child audience it works shockingly well. Here Jesus is portrayed as just a regular bloke who enjoys a laugh with his friends but is fully aware of the grander things expected of him. Another thing noteworthy about it is that it uses both claymation and hand-drawn animation, with the hand-drawn stuff mostly used for things like parables and showing demons bother the characters. One hand-drawn sequence in which Judas (David Thewlis, which is awesome) considers and decides to betray Jesus is surprisingly effective at getting under the skin of a man demonised by Christianity. It's not all perfect; the heavy emphasis (50% of the runtime) given to the death and resurrection underplays all the miracles and teachings Jesus did up to that point, and it's a shame to see some personal favourite stories left out (No feeding of the 5000 here). With all that said, it's a decent stab at the Gospels, and more effective in the long-run than Mel Gibson's gore wankfest.

"We are not safe! A dark menace rises to the east! Duckies go quack! Cows go moo! I want ice cream. Verily, will you two hobbits join my quest?"

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 2192
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 14/3/2013 12:42:41 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

7. Sunset Boulevard (2nd view, 1950, Billy Wilder) - 5/5
I first saw this maybe 12 years ago, at which point Wilder was already one of my favourite directors. I liked it but considered it one of his weaker films. This time I loved it, and I still think it's far from his best. I prefer The Apartment, Five Grave To Cairo, Double Indemnity, One Two Three, The Fortune Cookie, Stalag 17 and Witness For The Prosecution and a couple more as well. All of which goes to show just how great Wilder was.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 2193
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 14/3/2013 12:55:58 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

5. Sherlock, Jr. (2nd view, 1924, Buster Keaton) - 5/5
Brilliant. As with most Keaton films it's not often outstandingly funny (though the shadowing scene is hilarious) but rather breathtakingly inventive.

27. The Cranes Are Flying (1st view, 1957, Mikhail Kalatozov) - 4/5*
Very possibly the best Russian film I've seen.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Much more better!

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 2194
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 14/3/2013 1:04:17 AM   
rawlinson

Good Luck, Miss Wyckoff

The Miss Wyckoff of the title is a frustrated spinster school-teacher in 50s America. Lonely and sexually frustrated, she longs for a relationship but ends up getting raped one day in school by a black janitor. Deciding she likes it, she enters into an abusive sexual relationship with him. Can't help but feel that everyone involved thought they were making something quite daring, but by the time he's fucking her roughly from behind while she's bent over a red-hot radiator while her breasts are burning, you know you're watching pure exploitation. Quite possibly the sleaziest film I've seen today.

Post #: 2195
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 14/3/2013 1:11:15 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson
Quite possibly the sleaziest film I've seen today.

Slow day?

Much more better!

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 2196
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 14/3/2013 1:23:17 AM   
rawlinson

It's just one of those films that becomes even sleazier because it thinks it isn't.

Post #: 2197
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 14/3/2013 2:05:18 AM   
MonsterCat

So here's you watching this filth and you dare to take the piss out of me for enjoying Cloud Atlas?

Christ your not exactly the kind of person who isn't a bitch.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 2198
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 14/3/2013 3:02:15 AM   
scarface666brooksy!!

Submarine (2010, Ayoade, 1st viewing)

I had a feeling I would really really like this film. I was right. Submarine is a really charming and heart-felt film and one that almost certainly is greater because it doesn't sugar-coat the fact the protagonist, Oliver Tate (played excellently by Craig Roberts) is a bit of a dick but it's more due to a lack of tact then actual dickishness. When thinking about Oliver, my first thought was John Cusack's Rob Gordon and not just because they share slightly obscure interests either. Oliver over-analyses nearly situation, from his girlfriend Jordana (Yasmin Paige, who is also superb) and their troubles, his parent's slowly dissolving marriage and his mother's possible infidelities with a mystic new age guru (Paddy Considine, who is just awesome). Ayoade's eye for detail is outstanding and his influences (Dreyer! Godard! Catcher in the Rye ) he wears on his sleeve which I love. Along with Perks of Being a Wallflower, Submarine is one of the greatest coming-of-age films I've seen in quite awhile and a terrific début from Ayoade, who might be able to break out and be known as a great director instead of just Moss or Saboo from the Mighty Boosh.

It would also be rude of me not to give a shout-out to Noah Taylor and Sally Hawkins who play Oliver's parents. They're both excellent in the film as well.

< Message edited by scarface666brooksy!! -- 14/3/2013 3:10:12 AM >

My Aussie Film Thread - Film #7 - Patrick (1978)

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 2199
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 14/3/2013 7:06:30 AM   
impqueen

quote:

Good Luck, Miss Wyckoff

The Miss Wyckoff of the title is a frustrated spinster school-teacher in 50s America. Lonely and sexually frustrated, she longs for a relationship but ends up getting raped one day in school by a black janitor. Deciding she likes it, she enters into an abusive sexual relationship with him. Can't help but feel that everyone involved thought they were making something quite daring, but by the time he's fucking her roughly from behind while she's bent over a red-hot radiator while her breasts are burning, you know you're watching pure exploitation. Quite possibly the sleaziest film I've seen today.

The comments on YouTube are as lovely as usual. Some people are super insecure.

Oh and the town name?

Yes, always.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 2200
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 14/3/2013 9:25:30 AM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

So here's you watching this filth and you dare to take the piss out of me for enjoying Cloud Atlas?

Yes. That's how ashamed of yourself you should be for enjoying Cloud Atlas.

quote:

Oh and the town name?

Something told me you'd be drawn to that film.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 2201
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 14/3/2013 9:34:32 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

11. Tyrannosaur (1st view, 2011, Paddy Considine) - 4/5*
Excellent.

Much more better!

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 2202
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 14/3/2013 9:45:39 AM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b

The Spider Woman (Roy William Neill)

Gale Sondergaard is the villainess in this Sherlock Holmes film, and she pretty much steals the whole film. It builds up to a reasonably exciting climax at a funfair, but it's actually one of the duller Holmes adventures. And as cool a fucker as Rathbone is as Holmes, there's an unfortunate stretch of the film where he blacks up to go undercover. Oh dear. (2)

Wrong. It's one of the best of the series.

And what's wrong with Holmes "blacking up" as a disguise? Should he only limit himself to white dudes? Should he not solve a crime and stop murders because of future political correctness?

You mean because of 'future realising how bloody offensive it is', don't you?

I was a bit surprised that Impqueen suggested this Wackoff film was on youtube, assuming it was one of Rawlinson's usual but the cast and crew look surprisingly Hollywood/TV-y.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 2203
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 14/3/2013 10:16:45 AM   
ElephantBoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: ElephantBoy

7 - Caesar Must Die (Cesare deve Morire) (Paolo Taviani, Vittorio Taviani,2012) 9/10
One of the most vivid, strangely moving, and powerful films I am likely to see all year. The lovely black and white photograhpy was almost Bergmanesqe at his best, and the performances and editing were very eye catching.

See - we can agree on some films

Sure it happens more often than you think, its just more fun when we fight!

7 - Thelma and Louise (Ridley Scott,1991) 9/10
Scott's most human and compelling film to date, with a brilliantly paced and funny script from Callie Khouri, not to mention to sensitive leads, comanding performances, along side Scott's stunning visuals.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 2204
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 14/3/2013 10:23:29 AM   
impqueen

quote:

quote:

Oh and the town name?

Something told me you'd be drawn to that film.

I've no idea what you're talking about...

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b

The Spider Woman (Roy William Neill)

Gale Sondergaard is the villainess in this Sherlock Holmes film, and she pretty much steals the whole film. It builds up to a reasonably exciting climax at a funfair, but it's actually one of the duller Holmes adventures. And as cool a fucker as Rathbone is as Holmes, there's an unfortunate stretch of the film where he blacks up to go undercover. Oh dear. (2)

Wrong. It's one of the best of the series.

And what's wrong with Holmes "blacking up" as a disguise? Should he only limit himself to white dudes? Should he not solve a crime and stop murders because of future political correctness?

You mean because of 'future realising how bloody offensive it is', don't you?

I was a bit surprised that Impqueen suggested this Wackoff film was on youtube, assuming it was one of Rawlinson's usual but the cast and crew look surprisingly Hollywood/TV-y.

Donald Pleasence!

John Lafayette was annoying because I couldn’t think what I had seen him in recently, turns out he’s in The Following which I’ve stopped watching due it being shit.

Yes, always.

(in reply to ElephantBoy)
Post #: 2205
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 14/3/2013 10:30:29 AM   
elab49

That bodes well for my boxsetting it in a couple of weeks

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 2206
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 14/3/2013 10:37:50 AM   
garvielloken

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gimli The Dwarf

If you like Cranes you should try Soy Cuba Gimli. Same director, better film. I think it's up on youtube aswell.

Exactly six miles north of Skagg Mountain in the Valley of Pain, there lives an evil devilmonster. His name is Bingo Gas Station Motel Cheeseburger With A Side Of Aircraft Noise And You'll Be Gary Indiana.

Razzle them, dazzle them. Razzle dazzle them.

Post #: 2207
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 14/3/2013 10:42:48 AM   
impqueen

quote:

Ah..umm...sorry...

Apparently if you enjoyed 24 you'll like The Following.

Yes, always.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 2208
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 14/3/2013 10:47:25 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

ORIGINAL: garvielloken

quote:

If you like Cranes you should try Soy Cuba Gimli. Same director, better film. I think it's up on youtube aswell.

I recorded it about 4 years ago. It's still unwatched

Much more better!

(in reply to garvielloken)
Post #: 2209
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 14/3/2013 10:54:16 AM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: impqueen

quote:

Ah..umm...sorry...

You mean slick, shallow, increasingly tedious? Oh dear!

quote:

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 2210
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 14/3/2013 10:55:55 AM   
impqueen

quote:

quote:

quote:

Ah..umm...sorry...

Well you've summed up The Following for me; I've not watched 24 and have no interest in doing so.

Yes, always.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 2211
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 14/3/2013 10:59:43 AM   
elab49

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Ah..umm...sorry...

Well you've summed up The Following for me; I've not watched 24 and have no interest in doing so.

Sounds like those making the comparison have made a good call then. Ah well - I'll maybe give it a look this weekend to see if I still want it clogging up my Sky +

quote:

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 2212
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 14/3/2013 11:00:54 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Ah..umm...sorry...

If curiosity ever does get the better of you, this video is basically all 8 years of 24 whittled down to 5 minutes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQEhFUpmTN4

< Message edited by Gimli The Dwarf -- 14/3/2013 11:01:13 AM >

Much more better!

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 2213
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 14/3/2013 11:24:49 AM   
garvielloken

quote:

I recorded it about 4 years ago. It's still unwatched

I can just imagine you living in a house with stacks of unwatched vhs stretching from floor to ceiling.

Exactly six miles north of Skagg Mountain in the Valley of Pain, there lives an evil devilmonster. His name is Bingo Gas Station Motel Cheeseburger With A Side Of Aircraft Noise And You'll Be Gary Indiana.

Razzle them, dazzle them. Razzle dazzle them.

Post #: 2214
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 14/3/2013 12:47:42 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

assuming it was one of Rawlinson's usual

I'm not even sure I want to know what that means, especially not when coupled with this

quote:

this Wackoff film

But yeah, it's quite obviously intended to be some kind of prestige production (adaptation of a William Inge novel and all) that went really spectacularly wrong.

And The Following is fucking awful. At least the amount of it I was able to stick before giving up on it completely.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 2215
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 14/3/2013 1:01:52 PM   
MonsterCat

The Fly (David Cronenberg; 1986)

My favourite Cronenberg flick, with A History of Violence being a very close second. And the scene of Geena Davis giving birth to a maggot still makes me want to vomit. Still, it's still not quite as horrifying as Cutthroat Island.

< Message edited by MonsterCat -- 14/3/2013 1:12:56 PM >

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 2216
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 14/3/2013 1:11:36 PM   
elab49

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Ah..umm...sorry...

If curiosity ever does get the better of you, this video is basically all 8 years of 24 whittled down to 5 minutes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQEhFUpmTN4

This is hilarious.

I'd hope it embarasses the hell out of the writers - their lame attempt to write anger, frustration or any other emotion is basically the same two words over and over again.

quote:

Post #: 2217
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 14/3/2013 3:17:34 PM   
ElephantBoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

The Fly (David Cronenberg; 1986)

My favourite Cronenberg flick, with A History of Violence being a very close second. And the scene of Geena Davis giving birth to a maggot still makes me want to vomit. Still, it's still not quite as horrifying as Cutthroat Island.

Thinking of giving this a rewatch soon, must rank pretty highly in Cronenberg's films for me. Davis really is so underated, its a shame we don't see her in much anymore. Different kind hoffifying I assume

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 2218
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 14/3/2013 6:20:09 PM   
Qwerty Norris

41. G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra (2009, Sommers)

Not quite the shit sandwich I was expecting, yet still extremely mediocre. Gordon Levitt's a lot of fun in the villain role (despite his characterisation seemingly taking place entirely off screen) and the smash-up of Paris somewhat fulfils the wishes of the inner adolescent craving a bit of delirious spectacle. Just about passes as a bit of disposable entertainment whilst lying on a couch in a near comatose state, even if the concept of Marlon Wayans being the saviour of Moscow & Washington is an absurdity too far. Bring on retaliation!
2/5

42. Even The Rain (2010, Bollain)

A neat juxtaposition of a film crew seeking authenticity and affordability in a modern day environment all too reminiscent of the historical tale they wish to tell. Its conformation to neatly tied melodrama cheapens the impact a little, but thankfully not enough to drain the merits of what is for the most part an excellent film. It wouldn't have troubled my top25 of last year however.
4/5

43. Robot & Frank (2012, Schreier)

Much more successful as a depiction of technological advancement assisting the elderly & infirm than a tale of a robot companion being the perfect partner for a heist. Still, Langella & Sarandon are both quietly brilliant.
3/5

44. Arbitrage (2012, Jarecki)

The script is a little contrived at points, yet in the end this is still a very solid drama which is more about the upper class evading the law than anything to do with stockbroking and finance. It's also further proof that elab can be very harsh with her critique and probably should watch more rubbish to gain perspective sometimes - Gimli - help her out? (For the record gimli I genuinely admire your ability to embrace anything & everything and certain folk here could learn a lot from you)
3/5

45. Oz: The Great & Powerful (2013, Raimi) BEWARE OF SPOILERS

It's no wizard of Oz. Hell, it's no Return to Oz either. Yet as a kids film it still works a treat with some pleasing Raimi imagination & humour at work (his Evil Dead roots serve him well here). There's a genuinely lovely scene involving a china girl (which later on results in a glorious Bowie pun) and I actually adored the idea that despite being in a world dominated by witchcraft, it's the aesthetics of cinema which end up being the more spellbinding. Also another reminder that I can watch Weisz & Williams in pretty much anything.
4/5

46. Cloud Atlas (2012, Twyker & the Wachowskis)

The novel felt like a collection of short stories tied together by varying themes of slavery, suspicion, conspiracy & captivity; but with a structure that gave it a feeling as an overall body of work. Sadly, that concept is lost here and its attempts to condense everything into a one off feature of less than 3 hours long doesn't work at all. It's a given that the content of each story would be stripped to its bare bones (and in some cases altered a little; for better or worse) but it's flippant nature of jumping from one short to another and then another (and so forth) in a higglety pigglety order kills the dramatic arc - so much so that the Timothy Cavendish & Somni sequences lose their absurdest & dystopian strengths & feel extremely confusing to bare witness on the big screen - and that's not even getting into the terrible TERRIBLE decision of having the assembled cast playing different ages, races and genders across the stories. (Jim Sturgees as a Korean, Halle Berry as a white woman, Hugo Weaving as A woman, Hugh Grant as anyone, Tom Hanks as a Irishman via Cornwall - the list is distractingly huge). For this to have succeeded (in my opinion, as obviously there are those who believe it does i.e. MC) it needed to be either two films or a six part television series. As a 172 minute long standalone, it totally & utterly fails.
2/5

Qwerty's Top 10 of 2013 (so far)

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
9. The Place Beyond the Pines
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to ElephantBoy)
Post #: 2219
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 14/3/2013 6:22:06 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Qwerty Norris
(For the record gimli I genuinely admire your ability to embrace anything & everything and certain folk here could learn a lot from you)
3/5

Care to name names?

(in reply to Qwerty Norris)
Post #: 2220
Page:   <<   < prev  72 73 [74] 75 76   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discussion Thread Page: <<   < prev  72 73 [74] 75 76   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI