Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discussion Thread

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discussion Thread Page: <<   < prev  54 55 [56] 57 58   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 16/2/2013 2:19:31 PM   
Beetlejuice!

9. Sin City - 9/10
Still hypnotically stylish, can't wait for the sequel though sadly casting changes have been made.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 1651
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 16/2/2013 5:38:23 PM   
Rebel scum

13-Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (Cuaron, 2004) 9/10

Without a doubt the finest Potter film, one that works even divorced from the stringent narrative the book forces on it. Most of this is down to the addition of Thewlis and Oldman, but it's also clear the younger actors are coming into their own. Additions from the page such as Harry discussing his only memory of his parents are inspired, and the whole thing is shot in a much more interesting style than the stagey Columbus films. It also has easily the finest finale in any Potter film, managing to be both clever and exciting. Even the Quidditch match doesn't suck!

"We are not safe! A dark menace rises to the east! Duckies go quack! Cows go moo! I want ice cream. Verily, will you two hobbits join my quest?"

(in reply to Beetlejuice!)
Post #: 1652
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 16/2/2013 7:03:57 PM   
Deviation

Ajami (Scandar Copti, Yaron Shani, 2009, GER/ISR)- Israel has currently some of the most fascinating films being released, from their very surrealistic yet naturalistic war films (Waltz with Bashir and Lebanon), their dramas to this multi-story non-linear crime saga set in Ajami, Jaffa, which plays like City of God only far less flashy, more ambigious, wisely ends mostly unresolved and far more restrained. The acting is mostly excellent, the direction and scripting is excellent, the direction is effective and almost everything within it works, being shocking, fascinating and genuinely heart-breaking in some areas (Karim's extreme sadness that she cannot be with a Muslim Arab cause she's Christian is a stand-out). It feels honest, the depiction of every side seems fair, and the execution of it is rather marvellous.

(9)

Who Can Kill a Child? (Narciso Ibanez Serrador, 1976, SPA)- There are some very barmy things in this, the opening footage of the children and the theme of kids taking revenge of adults doesn't really work in moments and feels disjointed even if it sets up for an incredible horror scenario and sets a mood, the soundtrack goes from eerily creepy to complete corn and cheesyness depending on the moment, there is a moment where a piece of paper is sticked on a newspaper that is worthy of a Z-grade movie. However it has some very good things, some very very good things, you have the incredible scenario, a real sense of tension that is slowly built-up throughout, incredible framing and shots, decent performances (!) and the incredibly effective idea of setting the horror mostly during daylight, and doing it all effectively. It's so good that you can easily forgive the dafter stuff or those things that don't really work.

Also, for those asking, should I find a child version of Pigeon Army walking down the street, I would totally kill him.

(8)

The Imposter (Bart Layton, 2012, UK)- The incredibly accliamed doc set around the incredibly bizzarre case of a fascinating if outright creepy and cruel Frenchman who pretended to be the disappeared son of a Texan family. For all the fascinating and occasionally sad material, the truly incredible work done with the editing and direction (from the way it unites the documentary footage with the reconstuctions) and Bourdin's incredibly interesting and scary persona, there are some patches of it which feel dull, with a third act that does more then enough to fix any problems the film had in its middle act. The third act is where its at.

(8)

Carnage (Roman Polanski, 2011, POL/GER/FRA/SPA)- I like Polanski's output, I like Yasmina Reza and her plays, I like every actor involved here, so I have no idea what my problem here is. Polanski has basically made an entire career about what it going on here, from the claustrophobic locations to the themes found in Reza's God of Carnage. The acting is all-round excellent with the males standing out, the direction is occasionally fine enough and the opening and ending are excellent, problem is, I just struggle to see why this was done. It can feel long at 80 minutes and whatever it was saying on civlity is stated half-way through before it becomes a contest between the actors on who can portray the bastard upper-middle-class person best and some of the more complex characterization in the play seems lost, Polanski's direction and the editing rarely really elevate this from a filmed stage-play (very disappointing when considering Knife in the Water, Cul-de-Sac or Death and the Maiden), and I'm not sure if this is a testament of the film's power or a flaw, it's one of the very few films to ever leave me with a horrible taste after watching it (the others being Chicago, Salo, A Serbian Film and reading about Sex and the City 2). Some of the dialouge feels stilted and other actions contrived. YET, the performances are excellent and the four actors are at their best here, the ending is sort-off brilliant and shows another side of what the film was saying for 70 minutes, it's not really dull in any moment and there are some hilarious moments. It mostly works quite well. Maybe it's just that "Upper-middle class white people are nothing but hypocritical bastard shits, here's 80 minutes of it showing JUST THAT" is by far the least interesting theme Polanski has done in his career and others have done it far more interestingly by making something that doesn't feel like a filmed stage-play.

(7)

< Message edited by Deviation -- 16/2/2013 7:09:31 PM >

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 1653
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 16/2/2013 9:26:21 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation

Also, for those asking, should I find a child version of Pigeon Army walking down the street, I would totally kill him.

It would be a public service.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 1654
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 16/2/2013 9:29:03 PM   
MonsterCat

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

quote:

Body Heat (Lawrence Kasdan, 1981) is a sweaty, scintillating neo-noir, in which the horniest woman in America (Kathleen Turner) shags a moustache (William Hurt) into killing her husband. You almost want Hurt to die or go to jail so his willy can have a rest.

Great review as always, Rick.

Have you thought about voting in our Oscar poll, btw?

My mum shagged a moustache for 17 years. I call that moustache dad.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 1655
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 16/2/2013 9:31:06 PM   
rawlinson

Your mum is Kathleen Turner?

I'm guessing Crimes of Passion Kathleen Turner?

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 1656
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 16/2/2013 9:54:27 PM   
Rebel scum

16-Play It Again, Sam (Ross, 1972) 9/10

A mix of brilliant slapstick and some fun wordplay, and easily the best of the three "early, funny ones" I've seen from Allen.

< Message edited by Rebel scum -- 16/2/2013 10:11:27 PM >

"We are not safe! A dark menace rises to the east! Duckies go quack! Cows go moo! I want ice cream. Verily, will you two hobbits join my quest?"

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 1657
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 16/2/2013 9:56:39 PM   
rawlinson

So your favourite early Allen is one he didn't direct?

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 1658
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 16/2/2013 10:11:14 PM   
Rebel scum

He didn't?

*Checks*

Well, shit. I assumed he did, mostly due to that one scene where the camera stares at the tits of a young dancing girl for ages.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 1659
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 16/2/2013 10:14:21 PM   
rawlinson

Poor Woody. What did he ever do to get a reputation as an old perv?

Oh yeah.

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 1660
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 16/2/2013 10:52:13 PM   
SadFace

Fresh Guacamole (PES, 2012)
Technically brilliant, although at times it does seem like, "Look at what I can do", which often detracts from any potential depth. Still, at just shy of two minutes, this is an entertaining, if not essential, short.

Tobias, you blowhard.

quote:

That's the most wrong I've ever seen someone be on this forum. And both Gimli and Elab post here.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 1661
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 16/2/2013 11:02:08 PM   
rawlinson

Yeah, that was pretty much it for me too. Entertaining enough, but it'd be a bit of a travesty if it beat Paperman to the Oscar.

(in reply to SadFace)
Post #: 1662
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 16/2/2013 11:11:47 PM   
MOTH

quote:

ORIGINAL: rick_7

Body Heat (Lawrence Kasdan, 1981) is a sweaty, scintillating neo-noir, in which the horniest woman in America (Kathleen Turner) shags a moustache (William Hurt) into killing her husband. You almost want Hurt to die or go to jail so his willy can have a rest. While it's an homage to vintage '40s noir like Double Indemnity and The Postman Always Rings Twice (right down to a nattily incorporated fedora), Body Heat also stands superbly on its own two feet: the dialogue is colourful, the plotting keeps you guessing - despite being rich in fatalism - and Turner is dynamic as a woman so warm that she must take off her clothes at every opportunity. Hurt is wooden in places (particularly his penis), the revelations near the end - while gripping - are perhaps revealed too conveniently, and the film should really have ended on a freeze-frame of that photo, but it's still a classy, compelling crime flick, with a sweltering, stifling atmosphere and showy supporting turns from Mickey Rourke and Ted Danson - almost unrecognisable with a fringe that disguises the sheer length of his Easter Island head. And while the writer-director's idea of his hero keeping an illicit affair under wraps is to have him lob a chair through a plate glass window at his lover's house, that scene with the contract discussions is worthy of Wilder. They don't call his Law-rence Kasdan for nothing. (3.5)

heh-heh. that was funny. funnier than kevin bridges stand-up, if that's any comfort.

I've only gone and set up a blog! This week I've been mostly reviewing The Lego Movie and Wadjda. Click: The Fast Picture Show

(in reply to rick_7)
Post #: 1663
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 16/2/2013 11:16:53 PM   
elab49

quote:

Yeah, that was pretty much it for me too. Entertaining enough, but it'd be a bit of a travesty if it beat Paperman to the Oscar.

They'd be awarding, for me, greater creativity. Even Johnnie To handled the windows thing better in one of his romance films a couple of years ago if I'm remembering it rightly (given it was one of To's romances - I'm still not sure I get those!)

I'd be happy to see Head Over Heels take it though. I'd say Logoramma might suggest they can sometimes give it elsewhere than Disney/Pixar type stuff but, then, Logoramma wasn't very good.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 1664
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 16/2/2013 11:18:42 PM   
elab49

Saw John Dies at the End again today. I'd still very much recommend it but, really disapointingly, the festival co-curator told us the UK distribution deal had fallen through. Would I be right in thinking Bubba Ho-Tep was only a DVD job over here too (outside of festivals)?

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 1665
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 16/2/2013 11:24:56 PM   
rawlinson

If you watched it again today you might be able to help, is my sig quote right? From memory it isn't, but when I googled it that's what came up. I thought there was something else in there.

And it's been some time, but I thought Bubba did get a short cinema run. Might be wrong though.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 1666
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 16/2/2013 11:26:38 PM   
elab49

Was she chasing him with the whip rather than beating?

I still love the totally guy line ' that door CANNOT be opened'. But you'd need the visual accompaniment

I can't remember if I asked you before whether you enjoyed it?

quote:

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 1667
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 16/2/2013 11:31:11 PM   
elab49

I asked other half - he's pretty sure it was penises not dicks (which sounds right). Also, lashing, but I'm sure there was chasing in there somewhere. 

quote:

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 1668
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 16/2/2013 11:35:02 PM   
rawlinson

I thought it was dicks. But chasing sounds right, yeah.

And yeah, it was great fun. Bark Lee is one of my new favourite cinematic dogs.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 1669
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 16/2/2013 11:37:29 PM   
elab49

Chased in a forest - the chasing probably came before what she was doing with the whip of penises.

Ya think we're encouraging more people to go see it?

Bark Lee was adorable - the kind of dog that makes you want to head to the pet shop the minute you leave the cinema.

quote:

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 1670
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 16/2/2013 11:44:01 PM   
rawlinson

Yes! I knew there was a forest in there! I think it was

"Last night you had a dream, Your mother chased you through a forest, lashing you with a whip of knotted together dicks/penises"

I loved that it was just willing to throw you in and not really worry about explaining too much straight away.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 1671
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 16/2/2013 11:45:45 PM   
SadFace

quote:

For me, it goes:

Paperman / Head Over Heels
The Longest Daycare
Adam and Dog (AKA if Ted was a 90s Disney film)
Fresh Guacamole

Tobias, you blowhard.

quote:

That's the most wrong I've ever seen someone be on this forum. And both Gimli and Elab post here.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 1672
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 17/2/2013 2:08:16 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

10. Class of Nuke 'Em High (1st view, 1986, Richard W. Haines, Lloyd Kaufman) - 4/5*

Tromaville (The Toxic Chemical Capital of the World, Population 15,000) is home to the least safety-conscious nuclear power plant in the world. A quarter mile away is Tromaville high school. Add some toxic weed and you have an insane comedy horror that's more fun than about 98% of anything. Utterly, utterly mad with a seriously catchy theme tune - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfZdaLGiB4U

< Message edited by Gimli The Dwarf -- 17/2/2013 2:35:50 AM >

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to SadFace)
Post #: 1673
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 17/2/2013 2:08:37 AM   
MonsterCat

Sinister (Scott Derrickson; 2012)

Ethan Hawke is a one hit wonder true crime writer who relocates his family to a house which is also the scene of a murder. Up in the attic is a box of 8MM reels, all of which contain footage of grisly murders. As Hawke investigates the murders freaky shit happens and he finds himself being terrorized by spectral kids and the bassist out of Slipknot.

There's a decent premise at the core of the film, but it's ultimately a muddled and rather silly affair which is seriously lacking in scares or tension. It also does itself no favors by riffing on much more superior films like The Shining and The Exorcist. Ethan Hawke, meanwhile, stumbles throughout the film looking utterly bored while he waits for the next Richard Linklater film to come along. It's not a truly horrendous film by any means, but coming from the director who made the reasonably entertaining Exorcism of Emily Rose, it's a bit of a shame that Sinister doesn't really live up to its title.

< Message edited by MonsterCat -- 17/2/2013 2:14:30 AM >

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to SadFace)
Post #: 1674
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 17/2/2013 3:17:59 AM   
scarface666brooksy!!

Flight (2012, Zemeckis, 1st viewing)

There were certain points in Flight where I thought Zemeckis might have delivered a decent film, something he hasn't done since the 80's. That might have been when Denzel (who is quite good but the Best Actor nom is a bit much), a funnily vulgar John Goodman and Don Cheadle were on screen but I still managed to walk out of Flight disliking it quite a lot. All of it's good points like the intense plane sequences in the first half hour, the few good performances and the occasional humorous scene or so were erased by a glaring amounts of cliches and annoyances that plagued the film. There was also a scene that I swear glorified drug use a little bit but I might have been reading a bit too much into it. Either way, Flight could have had potential but it frankly pissed it nearly all away. You do get to see a decent performance from Denzel, a pony-tailed John Goodman swearing whilst peddling drugs and Catalina from My Name is Earl naked during the first minute or so of the film so it's not a total loss. It's just very mehh.

< Message edited by scarface666brooksy!! -- 17/2/2013 3:18:45 AM >

My Aussie Film Thread - Film #7 - Patrick (1978)

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 1675
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 17/2/2013 3:40:12 AM   
Timbzy

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

Ethan Hawke is a one hit wonder

I read this far and thought, 'oh no he di'ent'

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 1676
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 17/2/2013 5:40:24 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

39. Black Gold (1st view, 2011, Jean-Jacques Annaud) - 3/5*
Antonio Banderas and Mark Strong play Sultans who've had a truce for 15 years, but the peace is disturbed when oil is discovered. Quite lavish and epic but ends up not gelling together and feels quite empty.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Much more better!

(in reply to Timbzy)
Post #: 1677
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 17/2/2013 7:25:51 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

ORIGINAL: scarface666brooksy!!

Flight (2012, Zemeckis, 1st viewing)

There were certain points in Flight where I thought Zemeckis might have delivered a decent film, something he hasn't done since the 80's.

Much more better!

(in reply to scarface666brooksy!!)
Post #: 1678
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 17/2/2013 9:45:24 AM   
Rebel scum

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

There's a decent premise at the core of the film, but it's ultimately a muddled and rather silly affair which is seriously lacking in scares or tension.

I thought the first half, where he's watching the tapes and spotting weird shit just out of frame, was excellent. It's just a shame that the second half ignored the tapes and had Ethan Hawke run away from the Great God Peekaboo.

Plus the ending might have been better were it not GIVEN AWAY ON THE FUCKING POSTER.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 1679
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 17/2/2013 9:58:04 AM   
Timbzy

Having not seen any posters before viewing, I liked the ending. The second half did have some typical problems that horror films tend to have in the latter half, but overall, it was one of the better horror films of 2012.

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 1680
Page:   <<   < prev  54 55 [56] 57 58   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discussion Thread Page: <<   < prev  54 55 [56] 57 58   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI