Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discussion Thread

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discussion Thread Page: <<   < prev  49 50 [51] 52 53   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 6/2/2013 10:17:26 PM   
matty_b

Don't worry, I'm sure that as soon as Gimli sees it, she'll proclaim it to be amongst the ten best films of all time.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to Qwerty Norris)
Post #: 1501
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 6/2/2013 10:23:57 PM   
Qwerty Norris

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b

Don't worry, I'm sure that as soon as Gimli sees it, she'll proclaim it to be amongst the ten best films of all time.

Fingers crossed!

Qwerty's Top 10 of 2013 (so far)

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
9. The Place Beyond the Pines
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 1502
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 6/2/2013 11:12:38 PM   
Beetlejuice!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Qwerty Norris

quote:

ORIGINAL: ElephantBoy

15 - Life of Pi (Ang Lee, 2012) 5/10
Found the story and characters a little too bland, it took a long time to get going, but once it got to the boat things did livern up and I was impressed by the visual style and engaged with the despute. Then again the ending dragged. Passible fare, but it doesn't belone in the best picture nominations.

I'm beginning to think I'm the only one on this site who actually loved this film.

The amount of cynicism & scepticism towards Pi in this thread alone could make one weep.

I really liked it, it's a very faithful adaptation of a wonderful book. Yes, it relies a lot on its beautiful visuals, but how much dialogue can one expect between a boy and a tiger??

Post #: 1503
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 6/2/2013 11:30:10 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Beetlejuice!
how much dialogue can one expect between a boy and a tiger??

Someone has obviously never read Calvin & Hobbes.

(in reply to Beetlejuice!)
Post #: 1504
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 7/2/2013 12:01:49 AM   
Qwerty Norris

quote:

quote:

quote:

Found the story and characters a little too bland, it took a long time to get going, but once it got to the boat things did livern up and I was impressed by the visual style and engaged with the despute. Then again the ending dragged. Passible fare, but it doesn't belone in the best picture nominations.

I'm beginning to think I'm the only one on this site who actually loved this film.

The amount of cynicism & scepticism towards Pi in this thread alone could make one weep.

I really liked it, it's a very faithful adaptation of a wonderful book. Yes, it relies a lot on its beautiful visuals, but how much dialogue can one expect between a boy and a tiger??

I'd really like to think that people aren't using that as a just criticism of the film.

Sod dialogue, it's hideously overrated.

Although in Lincoln, it's absolutely necessary.

Qwerty's Top 10 of 2013 (so far)

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
9. The Place Beyond the Pines
10. Wreck-it Ralph

Post #: 1505
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 7/2/2013 3:10:28 AM   
scarface666brooksy!!

Just a short review because I'm quite busy today.

Moonrise Kingdom (2012, Anderson, 2nd viewing)

Still as lovely the second time around. The entire cast is terrific (especially Norton and Willis). I still really hope Kara Hayward goes on to make a lot more films as well.

My Aussie Film Thread - Film #7 - Patrick (1978)

Post #: 1506
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 7/2/2013 7:53:01 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

quote:

Fingers crossed!

Always the chance, but I did say the trailer put me off quite a bit. It'll be a DVD watch for me now anyway.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

Post #: 1507
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 7/2/2013 11:30:22 AM   
MOTH

The Hitch-Hiker (Ida Lupino, 1953)
Long before Kathryn Bigelow came along, we had this short snappy noir which A WOMAN(!) had the temerity to direct. To be honest I wasn't so taken with it, partly because the two 'good guys' weren't particularly interesting and the dynamics of the situation fairly limp. However, as The Hitch-Hiker, William Talman (who I remember from Perry Mason) makes a great villain. I think he actually got attacked by someone in real-life for his performance, which is always a good sign of making an impact. Despite him, though, I'd wouldn't be stopping for this one again (5/10)

I've only gone and set up a blog! This week I've been mostly reviewing The Lego Movie and Wadjda. Click: The Fast Picture Show

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 1508
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 7/2/2013 11:36:11 AM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: MOTH

Long before Kathryn Bigelow came along, we had this short snappy noir which A WOMAN(!) had the temerity to direct. To be honest I wasn't so taken with it, partly because the two 'good guys' weren't particularly interesting and the dynamics of the situation fairly limp. However, as The Hitch-Hiker, William Talman (who I remember from Perry Mason) makes a great villain. I think he actually got attacked by someone in real-life for his performance, which is always a good sign of making an impact. Despite him, though, I'd wouldn't be stopping for this one again (5/10)

Would be my well-thought out, intellectually engaged response

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to MOTH)
Post #: 1509
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 7/2/2013 12:23:12 PM   
MOTH

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: MOTH

Would be my well-thought out, intellectually engaged response

heh heh. i actually looked to see if you had included this in your film noir list, but no dice - i take it you like it?

I've only gone and set up a blog! This week I've been mostly reviewing The Lego Movie and Wadjda. Click: The Fast Picture Show

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 1510
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 7/2/2013 12:25:01 PM   
elab49

You won't see it in my noir list because it isn't sitting as low as 20. Yup - I like it. 

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to MOTH)
Post #: 1511
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 7/2/2013 1:15:08 PM   
MOTH

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

You won't see it in my noir list because it isn't sitting as low as 20. Yup - I like it.

grand, I'll look forward to seeing where I'm wrong when it appears.......in a couple of years

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 1512
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 7/2/2013 5:56:31 PM   
Beetlejuice!

4. Silver Linings Playbook - 10/10
Best romantic comedy I have seen in a very long time! David O. Russell deftly handles the deceptively simple tale of two troubled lost souls coming together. It's funny, heartfelt yet full of spiky direction from the director and the cast are exceptionally good. All four performers and the director deserve to pick up the Oscar for this winning underdog tale. It's particularly great seeing De Niro back in the game giving a perfectly judged balance of humour and pathos as Cooper's father.

(in reply to MOTH)
Post #: 1513
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 7/2/2013 11:34:31 PM   
rick_7

Hurrah. Silver Linings was fantastic. I quite like The Hitch-Hiker, I think I sit somewhere in the middle.

There were a couple of good reviews of this up at Christmas:

*SOME SPOILERS*
The Flight of the Navigator (Randal Kleiser, 1986)
- A 12-year-old boy (Joey Cramer) falls into a ravine and wakes up eight years later, having not aged a day. This maddening slice of mid-'80s sci-fi has a sensational premise and milks it for most of its worth in a spectacularly eerie opening (at least once the interminable doggy credits are over), with a scattering of false scares worthy of Val Lewton, and a couple that are all too real. After that, it morphs into alarmingly obvious family fare, serving up a quick explanation, a friendly (and incredibly irritating) robot and a sentient mail truck that exists only to chivvy the plot along. And the 21-year-old Sarah Jessica Parker, who turns up to flirt with the little boy.

By the halfway point, it's obvious that it's all going to be a big missed opportunity - and ultimately it's vapid, plotless and pointless, albeit with an excitable Alan Silvestri score - but the film does at least remember what it's about at its finale (note to the kid: if you do want to be left alone, probably best not to adopt an alien), and I do think it's worth it for that strikingly original opening 30 - one of the creepiest things Disney has ever done, even taking into account the Sorcerer's Apprentice, Pinocchio's questionable subtext and the way they treated little Bobby Driscoll. (2.5)

*Wendy Hiller fanboy*

Blog: DJANGO! DUMBO! DESPICABLE ME 2! Plus: other stuff.

"Nothin's really been right since Sam the Lion died."

Post #: 1514
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 7/2/2013 11:34:32 PM   
Beetlejuice!

9. Wreck-it Ralph - 8/10
Not necessarily a film just aimed at computer game fans, as was the case for me. A very witty, inventive animation from Disney that has paid off by taking an offbeat script and going with a kind of far-out concept more expected from Pixar. Reilly is perfectly cast and Sarah Silverman is perfect as what could have been a very annoying character but she keeps it all very sweet and likeable.

12. Sarah Silverman: Jesus is Magic - 8/10
Thought I'd have a Silverman double bill as she was so impressive in the above film. Here is her concert movie and wow, she goes close to the bone at times but it's always awkwardly hilarious, as in, is it wrong to be laughing at this? The songs (except Amazing Grace) and the off-stage stuff is ok but the real pull of the film is watching Silverman's sassy stand-up routine.

Post #: 1515
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 8/2/2013 1:51:02 AM   
ElephantBoy

quote:

quote:

quote:

But my problem is that the story as a whole is weak and the characters not that interesting. There is plenty of time getting to the boat and then afterwards.

Post #: 1516
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 8/2/2013 10:58:53 AM   
rick_7

The Breakfast Club (John Hughes, 1984)

A geek, a squeaker, a ginger, a sex pest and a moron bond during Saturday detention, dancing, giggling and smoking weed, but mostly just moaning about their parents. Hughes's high-concept talkathon - and his most fondly-remembered film, belying its bleakness- is surprisingly stagy, makes strange excuses for its characters (Estevez's jock taped a boy's buttocks together to impress his dad) and climaxes with a horrid makeover scene that calls to mind Rosemary's Baby, but it's also funny, quite poignant and frequently spot-on about teen angst and the quirks of adolescent behaviour.And it's alldone in the typical Hughes style - bright colours, bombastic '80s tunes and stylised sound - which you'll either love or hate, depending on whether or not you're cool. This being Hughes, there's also a sadistic teacher, and,this being the '80s, there's a bit where the clubpulla Michael J Fox(TM), running along a corridor and then having to quickly changedirection, skidding noisily across the shiny floor.

It's Judd Nelson's film, really, as the archetypal bad boy: a crowing, abused bully whose aggressive sexual advancessadlytip him over, apparently unnoticed by Hughes, from misunderstood kid to dangerous weirdo. He's the worst actor of the five, prone to woodenness and gormless facial expressions, but he has undeniable presence, and throws himself into the eye-catching and sizeable role with considerable gusto. Of the other club members, Emilio Estevez struggles a little as a supposedly sensitive wrestler, but Molly Ringwald is ideal as the pouting "princess",Anthony Michael Hall proves superb as "the brain" - aside from a brief outing for his "blues" voice (showcased at length in the abysmal Weird Science) - and Ally Sheedy makes for a truly excellent attention-seeker.

It's aneasy film to pick holes in,and Hughes would make better movies, but in pop cultural terms it's a towering achievement, a Rebel without a Cause for the '80s, which forms vivid stock characters - a Mount Rushmore of recognisable American teen types - only to send them crumbling into dust. (3)

< Message edited by rick_7 -- 8/2/2013 11:11:55 AM >

*Wendy Hiller fanboy*

(in reply to ElephantBoy)
Post #: 1517
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 8/2/2013 11:34:46 AM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: rick_7

in pop cultural terms it's a towering achievement, a Rebel without a Cause for the '80s

My entire body tightened when I read that.

(in reply to rick_7)
Post #: 1518
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 8/2/2013 12:48:12 PM   
rick_7

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: rick_7

in pop cultural terms it's a towering achievement, a Rebel without a Cause for the '80s

My entire body tightened when I read that.

It's not nearly as good, nor as important in defining the teenager (obviously), but it's a totemic film and a valuable snapshot of American adolescence in the '80s.

*Wendy Hiller fanboy*

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 1519
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 8/2/2013 12:52:55 PM   
rawlinson

I can't stand the John Hughes teen films, but I am planning on doing a coming of age/teen films poll if you feel like voting... Have you ever seen Three O'Clock High, btw? Given your love of teen movies, I'd be interested to hear what you thought of it.

Also, I sent you a pm the other day but your inbox was full. I was basically just asking if you wanted to send in a list for the 50s poll.

(in reply to rick_7)
Post #: 1520
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 8/2/2013 12:56:56 PM   
rick_7

Ah, sorry about that, I'll clear it out. No, I haven't seen Three O'Clock high - I'll pop it on the list, thanks. I'll also see if I can put something together for the polls. The Searchers ftw, Twelve Angry Men for the loss. (Not for the teen list.)

*Wendy Hiller fanboy*

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 1521
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 8/2/2013 1:09:16 PM   
rawlinson

My fairly annoying and glib description of it was Kafka rewriting High Noon as a high school comedy. I noticed it in The Works recently in their 2 for 5 offer, so if you felt like checking it out you should be able to get it fairly cheap.

You not a fan of 12 Angry Men?

(in reply to rick_7)
Post #: 1522
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 8/2/2013 1:17:55 PM   
rick_7

Not really. It would make an excellent/underwhelming "Overrated Henry Fonda films" double-bill with OUATIW.

*Wendy Hiller fanboy*

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 1523
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 8/2/2013 1:39:59 PM   
rawlinson

My second and third favourite Fonda films.

(in reply to rick_7)
Post #: 1524
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 8/2/2013 1:42:47 PM   
rick_7

Is your favourite Battle of the Bulge?

*Wendy Hiller fanboy*

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 1525
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 8/2/2013 1:45:03 PM   
rawlinson

The Lady Eve. I think The Wrong Man would be fourth.

(in reply to rick_7)
Post #: 1526
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 8/2/2013 1:52:24 PM   
elab49

If only he were in the better Wrong Man 

Since I'd guess you'd laugh at Rollercoaster (but he has a lovely small role against type) and there's always The Great Smokey Roadblock. I'd go

Best Man
Advise and Consent
12 Angry Men
Mr Roberts
Fort Apache
Clementine
Lady Eve

quote:

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 1527
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 8/2/2013 1:53:25 PM   
matty_b

Fucking hell, when is somebody going to mention Grapes Of Wrath?

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 1528
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 8/2/2013 1:56:13 PM   
rick_7

I'd say:

Grapes of Wrath
Young Mr Lincoln
Ox-Bow
Clementine
Lady Eve
Best Man
Fort Apache
Advise & Consent
Jezebel
Rings on Her Fingers
Wrong Man

In terms of performances, On Golden Pond is up there, but it's not a great film.

< Message edited by rick_7 -- 8/2/2013 2:00:38 PM >

*Wendy Hiller fanboy*

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 1529
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 8/2/2013 1:57:25 PM   
rick_7

quote:

Fucking hell, when is somebody going to mention Grapes Of Wrath?

Just then.

*Wendy Hiller fanboy*

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 1530
Page:   <<   < prev  49 50 [51] 52 53   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discussion Thread Page: <<   < prev  49 50 [51] 52 53   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI