Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discussion Thread

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discussion Thread Page: <<   < prev  40 41 [42] 43 44   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 1/2/2013 4:05:21 PM   
rawlinson

I noticed you didn't confess to your love of Les Mis the other night when I told you I thought it was shit.

(in reply to TRM)
Post #: 1231
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 1/2/2013 4:08:06 PM   
TRM

I hardly think its a masterpiece, but yes I did keep it pretty quiet!

I'm going out to the states to redeem the social outcasts. My only real ambition is to cultivate Texas. I love Texas. You must watch "The last picture show". That film! It was my first real sexual relationship.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 1232
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 1/2/2013 4:09:52 PM   
rawlinson

I love your end of the month lists.

(in reply to TRM)
Post #: 1233
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 1/2/2013 4:24:54 PM   
impqueen

quote:

Closely Observed Trains (Jiri Menzel, 1966)- 5
The Last Command (Joseph von Sternberg) - 4
Winchester '73 (Anthony Mann, 1950) - 4

quote:

Eraserhead (David Lynch, 1977) - 2

Les Mis gets worse whenever I accidentally think about it or catch a glimpse of Hathaway and it annoys me more and more to think she's probably going to win an Oscar. Having now seen all the nominees itís even more depressing because with the exception of Sally LOOK AT ME IíM ACTING (and slightly derailing Lincoln) Field her performance is nowhere near as good as Amy Adams or Jacki Weaver (more heart-breaking than any of Anne's snot drenched warbling) and even Helen Hunt is better (as well as naked ) and Iím not a fan of most of her work. Anyway donít want to start another Les Mis debate.

< Message edited by impqueen -- 1/2/2013 4:25:33 PM >

Yes, always.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 1234
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 1/2/2013 4:49:32 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: impqueen

Les Mis gets worse whenever I accidentally think about it

I still haven't seen The Sessions, it looks interesting though, but yeah, I agree that Field is the Lincoln weak link and Weaver or (especially) Adams would be more deserving.

I think Sessions, Life of Pi and Flight are the only films in the big eight categories I haven't seen yet. Life of Pi and Flight I just can't work up any enthusiasm over, but I do want to see The Sessions.

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 1235
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 1/2/2013 5:02:11 PM   
impqueen

I was walking the dogs the other night and it just popped into my head and I had to sit down. I thought I was about to burst into song instead I burped in a very unladylike manner.

I don'tít think The Sessions is spectacular but I really enjoyed the performances of Hunt/Hawkes and William H Macyís hair, the hair is particularly impressive. Iím seeing Flight this weekend (and Bullhead) and also hoping to get to see Hyde Park which hasnít got great reviews. Iím not hugely interest in Flight but I was surprised to see Washington get a nomination so I want to see why or give my future aneurysm something more to feed on.

Yes, always.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 1236
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 1/2/2013 5:04:18 PM   
matty_b

Speaking of which...

Lincoln (Steven Spielberg)

Spielberg and his usual cohorts are practically invisible in this one. Michael Kahn's editing is slow-paced and Janusz Kaminski's lighting is barely noticeable, with most of the political machinations being done in darkened, murky rooms - even John Williams' music is more muted than normal. Spielberg instead trusts the material to do the speaking for him, and not only that, trusts the audience to follow material which, at times, is spoken in an almost archaic language with a great deal of titles, names and events thrown at you that only the hardiest of scholars will recognise with familiarity straight away. I'll always respect a film that does this and if this does mean that it's not the most visually exciting or fast-paced thing Spielberg has ever done, it does make it his most restrained which is always a good thing for him - it's certainly not the Amistad that the initial trailers promised. Day-Lewis inhabits Lincoln with a granite, flinty charm and does as good a job as bringing an icon to life as anyone possibly could, Lincoln the man inhabiting that rarified height of a cultural icon almost beyond convincing portrayal - but Day-Lewis reminds you he was human after all. Sally Field seems to have thought taking the opposite approach would help her performance. It doesn't. Tommy Lee Jones has tremendous fun as the fiery Thaddeus Stephens, but personally I thought the perkiest performance came from James Spader as one of the men tasked with the job of finding the votes that Lincoln needs to pass the 13th amendment and abolish slavery. It quivers with importance, but thanks to Spielberg's careful reconstruction of the man and the events he sparked, it never hectors and instead chimes with a quiet relevance rather than shouting it from the rooftops. (4)

Straw Dogs (Sam Peckinpah)

Don't fuck with Dustin Hoffman or his woman. Uneasy, distressing stuff. (4)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 1237
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 1/2/2013 5:07:48 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

I was walking the dogs the other night and it just popped into my head and I had to sit down. I thought I was about to burst into song instead I burped in a very unladylike manner.

As for Washington, he's an actor the Academy always liked and it seems like they're welcoming him back after a decade of really shitty actioners. I just can't get interested.

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 1238
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 1/2/2013 5:10:19 PM   
Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b

Straw Dogs (Sam Peckinpah)

Don't fuck with
Dustin Hoffman ]or his woman. Uneasy, distressing stuff. (4)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 1239
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 1/2/2013 5:13:11 PM   
impqueen

quote:

Speaking of which...

Tommy Lee Jones has tremendous fun as the fiery Thaddeus Stephens, but personally I thought the perkiest performance came from James Spader as one of the men tasked with the job of finding the votes that Lincoln needs to pass the 13th amendment and abolish slavery.

SPOILERS!

I put Jones, Strathairn and Spader together for my notable performances last month. I think my favourite moment is when heís almost shot, glad to see someone highlight him. Nice review.

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

quote:

As for Washington, he's an actor the Academy always liked and it seems like they're welcoming him back after a decade of really shitty actioners. I just can't get interested.

It was an Oscar worthy moment, full of pathos and charm. I like Washington but he's not an actor I've ever been all that interested in.

Yes, always.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 1240
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 1/2/2013 5:16:16 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

Speaking of which...

Spielberg and his usual cohorts are practically invisible in this one. Michael Kahn's editing is slow-paced and Janusz Kaminski's lighting is barely noticeable, with most of the political machinations being done in darkened, murky rooms - even John Williams' music is more muted than normal. Spielberg instead trusts the material to do the speaking for him, and not only that, trusts the audience to follow material which, at times, is spoken in an almost archaic language with a great deal of titles, names and events thrown at you that only the hardiest of scholars will recognise with familiarity straight away. I'll always respect a film that does this and if this does mean that it's not the most visually exciting or fast-paced thing Spielberg has ever done, it does make it his most restrained which is always a good thing for him - it's certainly not the Amistad that the initial trailers promised. Day-Lewis inhabits Lincoln with a granite, flinty charm and does as good a job as bringing an icon to life as anyone possibly could, Lincoln the man inhabiting that rarified height of a cultural icon almost beyond convincing portrayal - but Day-Lewis reminds you he was human after all. Sally Field seems to have thought taking the opposite approach would help her performance. It doesn't. Tommy Lee Jones has tremendous fun as the fiery Thaddeus Stephens, but personally I thought the perkiest performance came from James Spader as one of the men tasked with the job of finding the votes that Lincoln needs to pass the 13th amendment and abolish slavery. It quivers with importance, but thanks to Spielberg's careful reconstruction of the man and the events he sparked, it never hectors and instead chimes with a quiet relevance rather than shouting it from the rooftops. (4)

My biggest concern with Spielberg at the moment is that I really liked Tintin and he followed that with one of the worst films I've ever suffered through in my life with War Horse. I really liked Lincoln, so I'm dreading how mawkish his next film will be. I predict a doe-eyed teenage girl will be given the present of a kitten, just before a nuclear bomb explodes and kills everyone except her, the kitten, her good-hearted grandpa and a band of evil-doers who roam the lands pulling out the whiskers of kittens. Kitten, girl and grandpa get separated and have to find each other, but not before kitten is captured by the evil-doers and makes a dramatic escape, rescuing all the other kittens and leading them to freedom. We'll also get a scene where grandpa is shot in the head at point-blank range, only to be shown to have survived in time for the family reunion at the end. Gimli will call it the greatest film ever made.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 1241
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 1/2/2013 6:47:37 PM   
matty_b

quote:

ORIGINAL: impqueen

I put Jones, Strathairn and Spader together for my notable performances last month. I think my favourite moment is when heís almost shot, glad to see someone highlight him. Nice review.

Ta.

quote:

My biggest concern with Spielberg at the moment is that I really liked Tintin and he followed that with one of the worst films I've ever suffered through in my life with War Horse. I really liked Lincoln, so I'm dreading how mawkish his next film will be. I predict a doe-eyed teenage girl will be given the present of a kitten, just before a nuclear bomb explodes and kills everyone except her, the kitten, her good-hearted grandpa and a band of evil-doers who roam the lands pulling out the whiskers of kittens. Kitten, girl and grandpa get separated and have to find each other, but not before kitten is captured by the evil-doers and makes a dramatic escape, rescuing all the other kittens and leading them to freedom. We'll also get a scene where grandpa is shot in the head at point-blank range, only to be shown to have survived in time for the family reunion at the end. Gimli will call it the greatest film ever made.

quote:

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 1242
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 1/2/2013 7:17:42 PM   
homersimpson_esq

I'd watch that.

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 1243
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 1/2/2013 7:21:15 PM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

ORIGINAL: TRM

January

Features:
The Hustler (Robert Rossen, 1961) - 5
Blue Valentine (Derek Cianfrance, 2010) - 5
Rebel without a cause (Nicholas Ray, 1955) - 5
Closely Observed Trains (Jiri Menzel, 1966)- 5
No Direction Home: Bob Dylan (Martin Scorsese, 2005) - 5
Pleasantville (Gary Ross, 1998) - 5
Django Unchained (Quentin Tarantino, 2012) - 4
The Last Command (Joseph von Sternberg) - 4
Winchester '73 (Anthony Mann, 1950) - 4
Les Miserables (Tom Hooper, 2012) - 4
Jack Reacher (Christopher McQuarrie, 2012) - 4
The King of Kong (Seth Gordon, 2007)- 4
It (Clarence G. Badger, 1927) - 4
Spartacus (Stanley Kubrick, 1960) - 4
McCullin (David Morris, 2012) - 4
Loving Memory (Tony Scott, 1971) - 4
The Passionate Friends (David Lean, 1949) - 4
Laugh, Clown, Laugh (Herbert Brenon, 1928) - 4
Safety not Guaranteed (Colin Trevorrow, 2012) - 4
Phenomina (Dario Argento, 1985) - 4
The Last Laugh (F. W. Murnau, 1924) - 4
Ministry of Fear (Fritz Lang, 1944) - 4
Man with a movie camera (Dziga Vertov, 1929) - 3
Gangster Squad (Ruben Fleischer, 2013) - 3
Alexander Nevsky (Sergei Eisenstein, 1938) - 3
Wizards (Ralph Bakshi, 1977) - 3
Dredd (Pete Travis, 2012) - 3
Cabiria (Giovanni Pastrone, 1914) - 3
The Ace of Hearts (Wallace Worsley, 1921) - 2
Eraserhead (David Lynch, 1977) - 2
Coquette (Sam Taylor, 1929) - 1

Shorts:
Night Mail (Harry Watt & Basil Wright, 1936) - 5
Pay day (Charles Chaplin, 1922) - 4
A Day's pleasure (Charles Chaplin, 1919) - 3
The Idle Class (Charles Chaplin, 1921) - 3
One of the missing (Tony Scott, 1969) - 3
We live in two worlds (Alberto Cavalcanti, 1937) - 3
Boy and Bicycle (Ridley Scott, 1965) - 2
N or NW (Len Lye, 1938) - 2
Scampermouse in a jam (Ivo Caprino, 1955) - 2
Abracadabra (Frederic Back, 1970) - 2
Tim & Teddy (Ivo Caprino, 1949) - 1

I couldn't tell how much you'd liked Pleasantville at the time, your reaction being, as ever, 'yeah it was all right', so I'm really glad to see you give it five stars.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to TRM)
Post #: 1244
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 1/2/2013 8:25:07 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: homersimpson_esq

I'd watch that.

I believe you.

The Raven

Seems like I was wrong, John Cusack can't make the shittiest films watchable.

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 1245
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 1/2/2013 9:03:18 PM   
Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

Then why tell me to watch it?!?!?!?

You should know by now not to listen to me

And I probably would call your imaginary Spielberg film the greatest film ever made. Just like I'm calling Les Mis bloody brilliant!

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 1246
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 1/2/2013 9:05:49 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gimli The Dwarf
Just like I'm calling Les Mis bloody brilliant!

You're still capable of disappointing me.

Bang goes my plans to run a musical poll.

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 1247
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 1/2/2013 9:07:15 PM   
Gimli The Dwarf

It wouldn't be that high on my list if we did.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Much more better!

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 1248
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 1/2/2013 9:12:32 PM   
rawlinson

Just the possibility it would be on any lists is too distressing.

Did you go to Blockbuster after all? I pissed away money on The Raven and Abe Lincoln, but I also picked up This Must Be the Place for £2.50

Post #: 1249
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 1/2/2013 9:14:00 PM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Not had chance yet. Hopefully I'll be able to get a few bargains.

Much more better!

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 1250
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 1/2/2013 9:31:35 PM   
rawlinson

50% off dvds, 30% off blu ray and games in my local one at the moment. It's definitely worth looking, I'm buying films at the moment for less than I'd have paid to rent them.

Post #: 1251
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 1/2/2013 10:42:42 PM   
Beetlejuice!

quote:

Speaking of which...

Sally Field seems to have thought taking the opposite approach would help her performance. It doesn't. Tommy Lee Jones has tremendous fun as the fiery Thaddeus Stephens, but personally I thought the perkiest performance came from James Spader as one of the men tasked with the job of finding the votes that Lincoln needs to pass the 13th amendment and abolish slavery. It quivers with importance, but thanks to Spielberg's careful reconstruction of the man and the events he sparked, it never hectors and instead chimes with a quiet relevance rather than shouting it from the rooftops. (4)

Yep, definitely! Spader was my favourite out of an impressive supporting cast,  the best he has been in many years. David Strathairn and Hal Holbrook also left an impression in slightly less showy roles and Lee Pace was also pretty impressive in his limited screen time. Field is a tough one, I do think she was miscast but if the intention was to show that Mary was pretty mentally unstable then she succeeded, I think Day-Lewis helped ground the theatrics but she is, the most out there of the performances whether that be a good thing or not.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 1252
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 1/2/2013 10:47:46 PM   
Beetlejuice!

JANUARY

10/10
1. Grave of the Fireflies (1988)
2. The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (2001)
9/10
3. Jackie Brown (1997)
4. The Virgin Suicides (1999)
5. All About My Mother (1999)
8/10
6. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (2009)
7. Les Miserables (2012)
8. Lincoln (2012)
9. The Impossible (2012)
10. My Dinner with Andre (1981)
7/10
11. Peeping Tom (1960)
12. Keeping Mum (2005)
13. Cat People (1942)
14. Now, Voyager (1942)
6/10
15. The Producers (2005)
16. Flight (2012)

BEST FILM OF THE MONTH (First Watch):  All About My Mother (1999)

DIRECTOR OF THE MONTH: Peter Jackson - The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (2001)

ACTOR OF THE MONTH: Helena Bonham Carter - Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (2009) / Les Miserables (2012)

(in reply to Ultimo Lee)
Post #: 1253
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 1/2/2013 11:10:23 PM   
Rebel scum

Goldeneye (Campbell, 1995)

OH MY GOD what have they done to James Bond? I should have known this was going to be a betrayal of the greatness of the series from the moment I saw they changed the gunbarrel. The change of music and improved graphics is nothing short of FUCKING OVER THE LOYAL FANS. Worse, when the film starts up it's all super-serious and about politics - what bullshit! James Bond isn't about that, it's about cool stuff like flying a hot air balloon into an Indian palace! And you know what's even worse? What made me, a LOYAL FAN, pissed off to the very essence of my being? M is a WOMAN! That's right, M, who has always been played by a MAN, is played by a woman, and Bond doesn't even fuck her? What's next? A blonde Bond? A young Q? Why didn't they go the whole hog and have Bond played by Dave Benson-Phillips? Sure, there are some explodey bits, but they aren't punctuated by random scenes that make no sense and aren't funny like the films of my lord and saviour, Roger Moore, so they're shit! They could have been improved by adding some Moore-esque cool, like maybe an invisible car. This clearly shows that Barbara Brocolli known NOTHING about what makes the series great, and should keep to woman stuff like watching Corrie and having periods.

0/10 would not torrent again.

(in reply to Beetlejuice!)
Post #: 1254
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 1/2/2013 11:14:18 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rebel scum

OH MY GOD what have they done to James Bond? I should have known this was going to be a betrayal of the greatness of the series from the moment I saw they changed the gunbarrel. The change of music and improved graphics is nothing short of FUCKING OVER THE LOYAL FANS. Worse, when the film starts up it's all super-serious and about politics - what bullshit! James Bond isn't about that, it's about cool stuff like flying a hot air balloon into an Indian palace! And you know what's even worse? What made me, a LOYAL FAN, pissed off to the very essence of my being? M is a WOMAN! That's right, M, who has always been played by a MAN, is played by a woman, and Bond doesn't even fuck her? What's next? A blonde Bond? A young Q? Why didn't they go the whole hog and have Bond played by Dave Benson-Phillips? Sure, there are some explodey bits, but they aren't punctuated by random scenes that make no sense and aren't funny like the films of my lord and saviour, Roger Moore, so they're shit! They could have been improved by adding some Moore-esque cool, like maybe an invisible car. This clearly shows that Barbara Brocolli known NOTHING about what makes the series great, and should keep to woman stuff like watching Corrie and having periods.

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 1255
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 1/2/2013 11:24:25 PM   
matty_b

Shut the forums down, it won't get better than this.

quote:

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 1256
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 1/2/2013 11:44:19 PM   
MonsterCat

quote:

Bravo, sir, bravo.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 1257
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 2/2/2013 1:00:41 AM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

MEANWHILE, ON THE INTERNET

Bristol Bad Film Club

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 1258
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 2/2/2013 1:18:39 AM   
Rhubarb

January was all

The Great Ones!
Rebel Without a Cause
Face/Off
Night Mail
Eraserhead
N or NW

The Good Ones!
Django Unchained
Gigi
Ministry of Fear
We Live in Two Worlds
Man With the Movie Camera
Jack Reacher
Blue Steel
Phenomona
Alexander Nevsky
Pleasantville
The Passionate Friends
Spartacus
Dredd
Les Misťrables

The Not So Good Ones!
Gangster Squad

The Really Bad Ones!

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

You organisational skills sicken me, Rhubarb.

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 1259
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 2/2/2013 1:21:51 AM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rhubarb

The Great Ones!

Eraserhead

Always knew you had better taste than TRM.

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 1260
Page:   <<   < prev  40 41 [42] 43 44   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discussion Thread Page: <<   < prev  40 41 [42] 43 44   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI