Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discussion Thread

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discussion Thread Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 2/1/2013 4:21:45 PM   
Rebel scum

Rawlinson likes a Spielberg film!?

"We are not safe! A dark menace rises to the east! Duckies go quack! Cows go moo! I want ice cream. Verily, will you two hobbits join my quest?"

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 91
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 2/1/2013 4:27:55 PM   
rawlinson

Matty suggested I put it in the discoveries thread.

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 92
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 2/1/2013 4:33:51 PM   
Rebel scum

It's for films that really surprised you, so I reckon it fits.

On a related note, I've realised I need to watch some of the frontrunners for Best Picture, I don't think I've seen any!

"We are not safe! A dark menace rises to the east! Duckies go quack! Cows go moo! I want ice cream. Verily, will you two hobbits join my quest?"

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 93
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 2/1/2013 9:49:12 PM   
ElephantBoy

Bugsy Malone (Alan Parker, 1976) 7.5/10
This was the only way to kick of 2013 for me, its a timeless feel good film, with lots of charm, snappy dialouge,DIY sets and some entertaining songs, the kids are impressive too. It would take a heartless bastard to dislike this film or Rawelson

The Kid With a Bike (Le gamin au Velo) (Jean-Pierre Dardenne,Luc Dardenne, 2012) 8/10
This is a deeply moving, and unsentimental picture on modern day provity and a boy lacking a father figure almost going off the rail. It is all the better for the low key approach and slow pacing, with unfussy, heartfelt direction and two very naturalistic performances from Thomas Deret and Cecile De France. At times a tough and honest watch, but there is also much beauty and charm.

The Craft (Andrew Fleming, 1996) 3/10
This was oddly a favourite from my youth, but revisiting it last night made it clear just how naff it is. Its a lazy MTV take on teenage Witchcraft with weak acting, dodgy effects, crap characters and overblown direction. Even the normally excellent Neve Campbell seems unremarkable, only Fairuza Balk's amusing OTT performance makes it worth it.

Coming up for me The Impossible and Last Shop Standing.

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 94
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 2/1/2013 10:50:06 PM   
MovieAddict247

Silver Linings Playbook (David O. Russsell, 2012)

Well this was a suprise - Bradley Cooper was fantastic (and far more more attractive with shorter hair). From his anguish and violent temper to a more natural delivery of comedy than I've ever seen him do, he was brilliant - I'm now interested in his future performances. There's a scene when he rushes back from a rehearsal, collapses on his bed and you just know what he's feeling (if you've seen it, I hope you know the scene) - it's a wonderful performance And Jennifer Lawrence continues to impress me, she's sensitive and expressive and so naturalistic. The casting overall is great (and Julia Styles really could pass as Lawrence's older sister). A sweet, funny and really touching film (plus the use of Girl from the North Country was just lovely). 8/10

VOTE NOW for your favourite vocalist - Empire's Favourite Voices

(in reply to ElephantBoy)
Post #: 95
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 3/1/2013 1:03:25 AM   
MonsterCat

2. Moonrise Kingdom (Wes Anderson)

Rushmore aside I could never fully get behind Wes Anderson's directorial output, so it's came as quite as surprise that I found myself to be rather charmed by his latest film. It's a sweet little flick that perfectly portrays the awkwardness of two young kids finding true love for the first time in their young lives, and Kara Hayward and Jared Gillman (who looks like a young Michael Stuhlbarg) are both good and very natural actors. Edward Norton is also great as Gillman's starchy scout master. It's very rare to see Norton play a comedic role, and the guy just runs with it. Didn't like seeing the dog getting killed, though.

< Message edited by MonsterCat -- 3/1/2013 1:05:28 AM >

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to MovieAddict247)
Post #: 96
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 3/1/2013 1:19:15 AM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

ORIGINAL: MovieAddict247

Silver Linings Playbook (David O. Russsell, 2012)

Well this was a suprise - Bradley Cooper was fantastic (and far more more attractive with shorter hair). From his anguish and violent temper to a more natural delivery of comedy than I've ever seen him do, he was brilliant - I'm now interested in his future performances. There's a scene when he rushes back from a rehearsal, collapses on his bed and you just know what he's feeling (if you've seen it, I hope you know the scene) - it's a wonderful performance And Jennifer Lawrence continues to impress me, she's sensitive and expressive and so naturalistic. The casting overall is great (and Julia Styles really could pass as Lawrence's older sister). A sweet, funny and really touching film (plus the use of Girl from the North Country was just lovely). 8/10

Sounds like a discovery to me... ;)

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to MovieAddict247)
Post #: 97
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 3/1/2013 2:05:14 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rebel scum

It's took me 10 hours to recover from the shock!

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 98
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 3/1/2013 4:03:25 AM   
scarface666brooksy!!

Last year I set myself a goal I'd watch some films by various acclaimed directors. These included Jean-Luc Godard, Ingmar Bergman, Andrei Tarkovsky and John Cassavetes. I had the chance to see I think 6 films by Godard and I failed miserably on the rest. I only saw 2 from Bergman and Cassavetes and 1 from Tarkovsky. I'm endeavouring to change this fact this year, but I'm also chucking in Orson Welles into the mix as well.

The Stranger (1946, Welles, 1st viewing)

Spoilers

After loving both F For Fake and Citizen Kane, I thought I really needed to track more of his work down. This intriguing tale about an investigator (Edward G. Robinson) from the War Crimes Commission tracking down a notorious former Nazi, Franz Kindler/Charles Rankin (Orson Welles), isn't on the same level as the other two Welles films I've seen, but is still quite good in it's own right. The two central performances from Robinson and Welles are both excellent, but Welles as per usual is the dominant force. Whether it be strangling a friend and fellow Nazi who had came to see Kindler, confessing to his wife (Loretta Young) about killing their dog for sniffing around the corpse of the man he had killed or the tense finale, Welles is truly one hell of a screen presence. The film would have been a great deal less intriguing or involving without his performance, which isn't to say Robinson, Young or anything else about the film aren't good, they are good indeed. Considering this is considered a lesser film from the great man, I'm excited to see more of his work soon.

< Message edited by scarface666brooksy!! -- 3/1/2013 4:04:07 AM >

My Aussie Film Thread - Film #7 - Patrick (1978)

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 99
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 3/1/2013 7:09:58 AM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

You could have spent those 10 hours rewatching Lord of the Rings. Admittedly you'd need another ten hours to do the endings of RotK, but you would have got most of your rewatch done.

Post #: 100
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 3/1/2013 7:17:45 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

You never miss an opportunity to have a go at the endings, do you? That's twice in the last 24 hours.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Much more better!

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 101
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 3/1/2013 7:29:18 AM   
rawlinson

When Matty rewatched them recently Elab said something about people using the multiple endings as a stick to beat the films with, so I decided to do just that.

Post #: 102
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 3/1/2013 7:41:05 AM   
homersimpson_esq

People have a go at the endings, but they only last twenty minutes.

They just feel like ten hours.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 103
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 3/1/2013 7:58:46 AM   
rawlinson

Wreck-It Ralph

Ralph (John C. Reilly) is the villain in an old-school arcade game, Fix-It Felix. Ralph destroys an apartment block and it's up to Felix to, well, fix it. Ralph has been doing the same thing every day for thirty years, and he's tired of it. Life wouldn't be so bad if he was treated well when the arcade closes, but everyone in his game still treats him like the villain, even neglecting to invite him to the thirtieth anniversary party of the game. Wanting nothing more than a friend and some kindness, Ralph decides that if he can win a medal in another game, the characters in his own game would have to treat him with a little more respect. One night, Ralph meets a character from a modern first-person shooter called Hero's Duty. In that game an army has to take down swarms of killer bugs, if they succeed, they can get a medal. Stealing the soldier's clothes, Ralph makes his way to the new game, intent on winning the medal. Ralph, however, is a bit of a klutz, coded to destroy, even if it's by accident. And his attempts to win a medal could lead to the destruction of not only his own arcade game, but also the world of Sugar Rush, a racing game aimed at young girls and set in a world made of candy. But Vannellope (Sarah Silverman) a sweet young glitch in the game could be the friend Ralph has been looking for.

The film sounded like it could have all been about the concept, or just filled with nods to classic arcade games that took priority over the characters or the plot. Instead, it's actually the best American animation of 2012, just pipping Paranorman to the title. The concept of the video games is important, but not to the extent where a lack of familiarity with the certain kinds of games could overwhelm the viewer. You can see the progression in video game technology represented from Felix to Sugar Rush to Duty, but not in such a way that it feels as if that's all they represent. These are distinct environments that our hero is caught in, but they also all feel natural to the film. Also, there are plenty of in-jokes, Ralph attending Bad-Anon, a support group for arcade game villains, is both the film's biggest nod to gaming and its single funniest scene. But these scenes aren't at the expense of the casual viewer. It's enough to know that these characters are villains in their respective games, you don't need to know who Zangief is to understand his role in the film. It's no more overwhelming than seeing the cameos from all the cartoon faves in Roger Rabbit. There's been comparisons to Toy Story and on a superficial level I can understand them, they both involve what playthings do when nobody is around to watch them, and they're both about learning to accept your place in your world. But Ralph isn't just trying to imitate Toy Story, it's creating its own world and its own unique inhabitants The film's message, that friendship is more important than rewards, and that heroism can come in unexpected forms, is nothing new. But the strength of the film comes from the relationships between the characters, in particular Ralph and Vanellope. There's also some great voice acting, from Reilly, Silverman, Jack McBrayer as Felix, Jane Lynch as the leader of the Hero's Duty army and Alan Tudyk (playing the part in vocal homage to Ed Wynn) as the excitable ruler of Sugar Rush. Director Rich Moore is a veteran of both Simpsons and Futurama, working on classics like Cape Feare, Marge vs the Monorail and Jurassic Bark, and he brings that same attention to detail and small moments you've come to expect from those shows to Ralph, he also has great fun voicing both Zangief and a sadsack Sugar Rush candy named Sour Bill. It's simply just a wonderful film.

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 104
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 3/1/2013 10:31:09 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

1. Arthur Christmas (1st view, 2011, Sarah Smith) - 4/5*

First film of the year. Go me. Certainly not as good as other Aardman outings but there's still so much to enjoy and the inventiveness on display, especially during the opening scenes, seems typically Aardman. Arthur's a bit of a forgettable drip but Bill Nighy as Grandsanta is a joy.

1. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (2nd view, 2012, Peter Jackson) - 5/5
2. Victor Victoria (1st view, 1982, Blade Edwards) - 4/5*
3. Arthur Christmas (1st view, 2011, Sarah Smith) - 4/5*
4. Grabbers (1st view, 2012, Jon Wright) - 4/5*
5. Impact (1st view, 2009, Mike Rohl) - 4/5*
6. The Fighter (2nd view, 2010, David O. Russell) - 4/5
7. American Mary (1st view, 2012, The Soska Sisters) - 4/5*
8. Crazy, Stupid Love (1st view, 2011, Glenn Ficarra/John Requa) - 4/5*
9. Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter (1st view, 2012, Timur Bekmambetov) - 4/5*
10. Blackthorn - (1st view, 2011, Mateo Gil) - 4/5*

11. Siege Of The Dead (1st view, 2010, Marvin Kren) - 4/5*
12. Django Unchained (1st view, 2012, Quentin Tarantino) - 4/5*
13. Magic Mike (1st view, 2012, Steven Soderbergh) - 4/5*
14. J. Egdar (1st view, 2011, Clint Eastwood) - 4/5*
15. Cyrus (1st view, 2010, Jay and Mark Duplass) - 4/5*
16. Columbiana (1st view, 2011, Olivier Megaton) - 4/5*
17. Van Diemen's Land (1st view, 2009, Jonathan auf der Heide) - 4/5*
18. I Love You Phillip Morris (1st view, 2009, Glenn Ficarra/John Requa) - 3/5*
19. Red Tails (1st view, 2012, Anthiny Hemingway) - 3/5*
20. Mannequin (1st view, 1987, Michael Gottlieb) - 3/5*

21. The Raid (1st view, 2011, Gareth Evans) - 3/5*
22. Faster (1st view, 2010, George Tillman, Jr) - 3/5*
23. Combat Shock (1st view, 1984, Buddy Giovinazzo) - 3/5*
24. Safe (1st view, 2012, Boaz Yakin) - 3/5*
25. Over Her Dead Body (1st view, 2008, Jeff Lowell) - 3/5*
26. The Expendables 2 (1st view, 2012, Simon West) - 3/5*
27. Killer's Moon (1st view, 1978, Alan Birkinshaw) - 3/5*
28. Vampire's Kiss (1st view, 1988, Robert Bierman) - 3/5*
29. Couples Retreat (1st view, 2009, Peter Billingsley) - 2/5*

1. So You Want To Be A Pirate! (2012, Jay Grace)
2. The Man With The Rubber Head (1901, George Melies)
3. A Trip to the Moon (1902. Georges Melies)
4. Demolishing and Building Up The Star Theatre (1901, F.S Armitage)

< Message edited by Gimli The Dwarf -- 31/1/2013 1:38:43 PM >

Much more better!

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 105
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 3/1/2013 11:03:39 AM   
Pigeon Army

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

Wreck-It Ralph

Ralph (John C. Reilly) is the villain in an old-school arcade game, Fix-It Felix. Ralph destroys an apartment block and it's up to Felix to, well, fix it. Ralph has been doing the same thing every day for thirty years, and he's tired of it. Life wouldn't be so bad if he was treated well when the arcade closes, but everyone in his game still treats him like the villain, even neglecting to invite him to the thirtieth anniversary party of the game. Wanting nothing more than a friend and some kindness, Ralph decides that if he can win a medal in another game, the characters in his own game would have to treat him with a little more respect. One night, Ralph meets a character from a modern first-person shooter called Hero's Duty. In that game an army has to take down swarms of killer bugs, if they succeed, they can get a medal. Stealing the soldier's clothes, Ralph makes his way to the new game, intent on winning the medal. Ralph, however, is a bit of a klutz, coded to destroy, even if it's by accident. And his attempts to win a medal could lead to the destruction of not only his own arcade game, but also the world of Sugar Rush, a racing game aimed at young girls and set in a world made of candy. But Vannellope (Sarah Silverman) a sweet young glitch in the game could be the friend Ralph has been looking for.

The film sounded like it could have all been about the concept, or just filled with nods to classic arcade games that took priority over the characters or the plot. Instead, it's actually the best American animation of 2012, just pipping Paranorman to the title. The concept of the video games is important, but not to the extent where a lack of familiarity with the certain kinds of games could overwhelm the viewer. You can see the progression in video game technology represented from Felix to Sugar Rush to Duty, but not in such a way that it feels as if that's all they represent. These are distinct environments that our hero is caught in, but they also all feel natural to the film. Also, there are plenty of in-jokes, Ralph attending Bad-Anon, a support group for arcade game villains, is both the film's biggest nod to gaming and its single funniest scene. But these scenes aren't at the expense of the casual viewer. It's enough to know that these characters are villains in their respective games, you don't need to know who Zangief is to understand his role in the film. It's no more overwhelming than seeing the cameos from all the cartoon faves in Roger Rabbit. There's been comparisons to Toy Story and on a superficial level I can understand them, they both involve what playthings do when nobody is around to watch them, and they're both about learning to accept your place in your world. But Ralph isn't just trying to imitate Toy Story, it's creating its own world and its own unique inhabitants The film's message, that friendship is more important than rewards, and that heroism can come in unexpected forms, is nothing new. But the strength of the film comes from the relationships between the characters, in particular Ralph and Vanellope. There's also some great voice acting, from Reilly, Silverman, Jack McBrayer as Felix, Jane Lynch as the leader of the Hero's Duty army and Alan Tudyk (playing the part in vocal homage to Ed Wynn) as the excitable ruler of Sugar Rush. Director Rich Moore is a veteran of both Simpsons and Futurama, working on classics like Cape Feare, Marge vs the Monorail and Jurassic Bark, and he brings that same attention to detail and small moments you've come to expect from those shows to Ralph, he also has great fun voicing both Zangief and a sadsack Sugar Rush candy named Sour Bill. It's simply just a wonderful film.

Thanks for the synopsis, Ebert.

Wreck-It Ralph is fantastic, though, me and my friends had a great time with it (one of my friends is a video game developer and he was fucking loving it). It's not even really all about the video games - it's a film fundamentally about tolerance and respect for everyone, no matter what role they play and no matter what label you put on them, and it explores that theme with such heart and intelligence that it's hard not to love it. Agree too on Moore's attention to detail - listen to the dialogue and the way Felix's and Ralph's vocabularies are tinged with the sorts of turns of phrase you'd hear in 1950s American suburbs rather than in modern environments (specific examples elude me outside of "she's a dynamite gal", but I remember there being plenty), placing their roots in an idealised past while Sugar Rush and Hero's Duty exist in a visceral, adrenaline-focused present.

Also Tudyk fucking rules in it. "LOCK HIM IN THE FUNGEON!"

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc
She's supposed to be 13! I'd want her to be very attractive though

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat
quote:

ORIGINAL: Pigeon Army
Stop being mean to Deviation

No.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 106
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 3/1/2013 1:28:36 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pigeon Army

quote:

Wreck-It Ralph

Thanks for the synopsis, Ebert.

Wreck-It Ralph is fantastic, though, me and my friends had a great time with it (one of my friends is a video game developer and he was fucking loving it). It's not even really all about the video games - it's a film fundamentally about tolerance and respect for everyone, no matter what role they play and no matter what label you put on them, and it explores that theme with such heart and intelligence that it's hard not to love it. Agree too on Moore's attention to detail - listen to the dialogue and the way Felix's and Ralph's vocabularies are tinged with the sorts of turns of phrase you'd hear in 1950s American suburbs rather than in modern environments (specific examples elude me outside of "she's a dynamite gal", but I remember there being plenty), placing their roots in an idealised past while Sugar Rush and Hero's Duty exist in a visceral, adrenaline-focused present.

Also Tudyk fucking rules in it. "LOCK HIM IN THE FUNGEON!"

I was kind of expecting you to slam me when I just noticed you responded. And yes, agree on the dialogue too. And Tudyk's decision (or Rich Moore's direction, or collaboration, whichever it was) to play him as Ed Wynn was just genius.

And I really really want to play Sugar Rush.

(in reply to Pigeon Army)
Post #: 107
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 3/1/2013 1:47:02 PM   
Harry Tuttle

Dredd (Pete Travis, 2012)
First things first, seeing as the comparison is pretty much unavoidable, I preferred The Raid to this. Now that's out of the way I really did enjoy Dredd quite a lot. I'm still not sure about Urban as the titular hero to be honest (his jaw's too small, his voice isn't rough enough for my liking and his gurning annoyed me in a couple of occasions) but it doesn't matter, the film packs enough of a punch that I can overlook it rather easily. There are some fantastic scenes of over the top violence and Lena Headey makes a fantastic villain. Not perfect but a hell of a lot of fun. 4

Frankenweenie (Tim Burton, 2012)
*SPOILER AHEAD* A fantastic remake of Burton's own short film and is far better than most of the films it lovingly pays homage to. It's lighter on laughs than I expected it to be but it's full of heart and charm and is easily the best thing Burton has done since Big Fish. I'm only just back from watching it and I'm a bit stunned. I genuinely didn't expect it to be as good as it was, plus my daughter was enthralled from start to finish which surprised me (I thought the black & whiteness of the film would be a buzz kill for her). It'd be better if the dog stayed dead at the end though. 4.5

< Message edited by Harry Tuttle -- 3/1/2013 3:45:17 PM >

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 108
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 3/1/2013 5:29:43 PM   
Rebel scum

1-Fitzcarraldo (Herzog, 1982) 8/10

Fitzcarraldo is almost a companion piece to the only other Herzog I've seen, Aguirre: The Wrath of God. Both prominently feature a river voyage, potentially hostile natives, and Werner Herzog going crazy. The main difference is that Aguirre is driven by greed and a lust for power, while Fitzcarraldo is driven by the love of the arts, and a desire to bring culture to the Amazon. It's a more lofty goal, and another quality of the film is that we're never really sure whether or not to like ol' Fitzy. On the one hand, his love of opera and desire to bring it to a wider audience is admirable, but on the other hand it's clear he doesn't understand other people. The best scene in the film features him stopping off at his now defunct railway station, only to be met with an old compatriot who maintains the useless train. Fitzcarraldo listens to him for a while, before ordering the line to be torn down to aid his new project. Is this fair? Is he being a dick or is he blinded by his desire for the opera, or maybe both? It's this constant hovering question mark that makes the film good. Unfortunately, it's not great, and in a straight comparison Aguirre is the better film. I think the main reason it didn't all click for me is that the opening forty minutes of scene-setting is so detailed and so languid (almost too languid at times) that the rapid resolution at the end jars and falls a little flat. Another reason is that the subtitles on the version I watched were fucking awful, cutting off bits of sentences and missing important lines of dialogue. It's not a problem with the film per se, but it meant I didn't like it as much as I might have done. Shame.

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 109
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 3/1/2013 10:52:20 PM   
elab49

Gangster Squad (Fleischer, 2013)

It really needs the 'inspired by' rather than 'based on' a true story up front for this one.

Zombieland's Fleischer and a writer who's only done Castle till now but apparently has been trusted with the Justice League give us an uneasy mish-mash of LA Confidential and, mainly, The Untouchables. Fleischer comes off slightly better as the pacing meant no watch checking no matter how foolish some of the things on the screen got, but the problems with the action sequences really made you long for De Palma. Which is something coming from me. There's a couple of major shootouts, a car scene and all are handled decently but without much panache. Fleisher also randomly and inconsistently shoved in some slo-mo and picture flashes. It was a bit odd, almost as if he'd forgotten what he'd done before.

The story and the writing were a bigger problem. Because Brolin's character in the film is almost Bud Weeks dumb. Determined and forthright, but dumb. The film is based on true crime writing around an undercover squad in the LAPD who used creative and often illegal methods to undermine organised crime in the city (with Cohen never the force the film implies). But the stories are episodic and there are no big events (they started in the 40s and the first mob murder conviction was until the 60s - everything was tax evasion and the like). So basically they pretty much make much of it up - what happens to major characters, having the squad mainly use brute force and pasting on a script that resembles Untouchables in far too many ways for comfort. The odd thing is dropped in for interest - I noted the Chief's bagman, who didn't need to introduce himself, took the time to introduce himself as Daryl Gates, presumably the same Gates that became LAPD chief and who resigned after the riots. I was also intrigued to see that Cohen appeared to own a Rembrandt! Much of the dialogue/story direction is overly predictable and Beall just seems to give up at the end. SPOILERS suddenly everyone knows the way to O'Mara's house, the silly fight decision at the end. In particular Beall simply seems to give up on how to end it so changes history in a way that's too ludicrous to believe given the ending.

I think Beall does try but just doesn't seem up to the job. He tries to reference one of the reasons for the increasing violence - the returning serviceman with no outlet for what they experienced. The two leads both had experiences overseas but it ends up as either a parrot phrase or a light gloss and there's no depth to how it's dealt with. It would almost be better taking it out, but I think he also wanted the contrast to showing the fight on the streets as a war. And it has the grace to at least have a character point out what they often do is immensely bull in a china shop dumb.

Performances are generally OK. Jack Vincennes is played by Ryan Gosling, who has a handy pat kid character to motivate him. Sean Connery is a growlly Robert Patrick. CHarles Martin Smith is former intelligence man Giovanni Ribisi. Bud White is Josh Brolin, looking more like co-star Nick Nolte than his dad. They touch the ethnic bases, 'cos apparently they can. And Sean Penn is wearing a costume from Warren Beatty's Dick Tracy, with the worst dialogue in the film, if you ignore the silly voiceover at start and end.

It wasn't a very good film but it was perfectly watchable. I wouldn't have paid to see it though.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 110
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 3/1/2013 11:12:30 PM   
homersimpson_esq

The Outsiders

Quite something. Everyone is SO REALLY REALLY RIDICULOUSLY GOOD LOOKING.

Bristol Bad Film Club

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 111
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 4/1/2013 2:44:49 AM   
Deviation

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

You could have spent those 10 hours rewatching Lord of the Rings. Admittedly you'd need another ten hours to do the endings of RotK, but you would have got most of your rewatch done.

I find this quite unfair on Lord of the Rings, at least it isn't 10 hours of walking, full of needless detial where the only achievement and plot development to be found by the end is being a 100 km away to the place where a big dragon lives.

Oh no wait, I think that makes it a faithful adaptation.

< Message edited by Deviation -- 4/1/2013 2:47:52 AM >

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 112
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 4/1/2013 4:56:35 AM   
scarface666brooksy!!

Boyz n the Hood (1991, Singleton, 3rd viewing)

Boyz n the Hood is just one of those films that gets better every time I see it. The look and feel of the film is brilliantly authentic, the soundtrack is just superb and the performances are really solid as well. What the hell happened to John Singleton's career anyway? Youngest person to ever be nominated for Best Director (for a début film as well!) then he makes films like 2 Fast 2 Furious?

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 113
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 4/1/2013 7:08:41 AM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
Sean Connery is a growlly Robert Patrick.

First time Connery's been compared to an actual actor in decades.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 114
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 4/1/2013 7:09:07 AM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: scarface666brooksy!!

Boyz n the Hood is just one of those films that gets better every time I see it. The look and feel of the film is brilliantly authentic, the soundtrack is just superb and the performances are really solid as well. What the hell happened to John Singleton's career anyway? Youngest person to ever be nominated for Best Director (for a début film as well!) then he makes films like 2 Fast 2 Furious?

Have you seen Cooley High?

(in reply to scarface666brooksy!!)
Post #: 115
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 4/1/2013 7:34:07 AM   
scarface666brooksy!!

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: scarface666brooksy!!

Have you seen Cooley High?

Can't say I have, is a precursor of sorts to Boyz n the Hood?

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 116
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 4/1/2013 7:37:19 AM   
rawlinson

Cooley High kind of set the groundwork for films like Boyz. Definitely worth getting hold of.

Post #: 117
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 4/1/2013 7:43:03 AM   
scarface666brooksy!!

quote:

Cooley High kind of set the groundwork for films like Boyz. Definitely worth getting hold of.

I'll have a look for it, cheers Rawls

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 118
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 4/1/2013 7:45:46 AM   
rawlinson

No probs. You even get to see a very young Mayor Clarence Royce as the star.

Post #: 119
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 4/1/2013 7:51:39 AM   
scarface666brooksy!!

quote:

No probs. You even get to see a very young Mayor Clarence Royce as the star.

Shit that reminds me I need to finish watching The Wire. It's taken me three freakin' years to get up to Season 3, yet I watched three seasons of Breaking Bad in less then a year.

< Message edited by scarface666brooksy!! -- 4/1/2013 7:52:32 AM >

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discussion Thread Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI