Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discussion Thread

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discussion Thread Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 2/1/2013 5:41:48 AM   
scarface666brooksy!!

Super Troopers (2001, Chandrasekhar, 2nd viewing)

My first film viewing of 2013 was drunk at 4 A.M. with friends. Mind you, I only watched half then passed out. I watched the rest the next day. Super Troopers is pretty and hit miss but it's enjoyable enough.

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (2012, Jackson, 1st viewing)

I wasn't so much skeptical of seeing The Hobbit but more generally apathetic. I was never a HUGE fan of LOTR but I liked them enough I suppose. However, there was no way I wasn't going to see The Hobbit, and also no way I was going to see it in 3D either (I'm definitely on the anti-3D side of things). In 2D, it still looked absolutely gorgeous, when the Company first see Rivendell was probably the greatest visual moment for me, and definitely one of the stand-out images this side of Skyfall. The film itself was really quite good, there was a lot of humour (the long-term deposit line was brilliant), the action scenes were genuinely involving and exciting, and there were some great performances from Freeman, McKellen and Richard Armitage just to name a few. The pacing and length of the film were seldom an issue for me which was surprising, truth be told, I've seen films an hour shorter then this that dragged on twice as long so that was definitely a positive. There is actually very little I can fault The Hobbit on to be honest. It didn't knock me down with it's brilliance quite like Fellowship of the Ring did, but if I'd seen it last year it would have made my Top 50 I'd say. Really really enjoyable film, and I'm now pretty keen for the Desolation Of Smaug.

My Aussie Film Thread - Film #7 - Patrick (1978)

(in reply to KnightofZyryab)
Post #: 61
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 2/1/2013 6:18:51 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Yay!

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to scarface666brooksy!!)
Post #: 62
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 2/1/2013 6:30:58 AM   
scarface666brooksy!!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gimli The Dwarf

Yay!

You know what else Gimli? I kind of want to re-visit LOTR now. It's been years since I've seen them (except 5 minutes of Two Towers on the telly the other day but I was work so I was a tad busy)

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 63
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 2/1/2013 6:33:18 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Watch them right now!

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Much more better!

Post #: 64
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 2/1/2013 6:39:53 AM   
scarface666brooksy!!

quote:

Watch them right now!

I don't have them handy but I'll track them down soon

Post #: 65
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 2/1/2013 6:42:15 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

That's the spirit!

Much more better!

Post #: 66
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 2/1/2013 7:11:24 AM   
scarface666brooksy!!

quote:

That's the spirit!

It'll be the only film watching goal of mine you'll appreciate this year I'm aiming to watch some more French New Wave and all of Studio Ghibli's output.

Post #: 67
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 2/1/2013 9:03:34 AM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: SadFace

John Travolta has a little something to put up a bedridden fat woman. Starts off very slowly, picks up in the second half.

What film is that?

quote:

Day of the Dead, Romero,

It's no musical.

Still great though. On the Town is the best of the Sinatra/Kelly musicals, but I do want to revisit Take Me Out to the Ball Game this year.

(in reply to SadFace)
Post #: 68
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 2/1/2013 9:24:54 AM   
matty_b

Unforgiven (Clint Eastwood)

There have been dozens upon dozens of critical pieces written about Unforgiven and for good reason; Eastwood (working from a nigh-on perfect script by David Webb Peoples) expertly deconstructs the western, revealing his aged killer as someone who can barely straddle a horse anymore, and where death is slow, agonising and rarely, rarely glorious. But other than that, it's just a superbly entertaining film, with terrific performances across the board (Saul Rubinek always gets overlooked next to the likes of Eastwood, Hackman and Freeman, but his bumbling biographer acting as the viewpoint for the audience is excellent) and Eastwood's elegant framing perfectly captures the sobering tale of revenge and bloodshed that is set off by the cutting of a prostitute. It's also a film that is difficult to know who to root for - Eastwood's William Munny is a self-professed killer of women and children, while Gene Hackman's Little Bill Daggett is a man trying to make a peaceful life for himself out in the country, whilst stopping any killers of firearms from entering his little town. Yet when the two of them finally face off against each other underneath rolling thunder and a torrential downpour...it's not as easy a confrontation as you might think. (5)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 69
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 2/1/2013 10:36:44 AM   
homersimpson_esq

Just to clarify, I really enjoyed Day of the Dead - it gets stronger as it goes on. It was just completely different from On The Town, and I was just commenting on the difference between the two...

Although a zombie musical sounds great. It must have happened before? Cannibal! The Musical is the closest, I think?

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 70
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 2/1/2013 10:46:48 AM   
rawlinson

http://uk.imdb.com/title/tt0760332/

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 71
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 2/1/2013 10:47:52 AM   
rawlinson

And there's this, of course

http://www.evildeadthemusical.com/site/

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 72
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 2/1/2013 10:50:58 AM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

http://uk.imdb.com/title/tt0760332/

Holy shit, it's directed by John McClane.

Different spelling, but still.

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 73
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 2/1/2013 1:13:16 PM   
elab49

Great to see a couple of new people posting lists for 2013 - it's a reminder that the list thread is open to anyone who cares to give it a go 

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

Post #: 74
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 2/1/2013 1:16:22 PM   
MonsterCat

quote:

ORIGINAL: homersimpson_esq

Although a zombie musical sounds great. It must have happened before? Cannibal! The Musical is the closest, I think?

I think Miike's Happiness of the Katakuris is essentially a musical with zombies.

< Message edited by MonsterCat -- 2/1/2013 1:17:55 PM >

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

Post #: 75
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 2/1/2013 1:53:54 PM   
MovieAddict247

And my first film of 2013 is...

Strictly Ballroom (Baz Luhrmann, 1992)

I've lost count how many times I've seen this - I want to say ten though (that seems more acceptable than other estimations....) - and I can unabashedly say that it is a fantastic film. Luhrmann may never top this, his first film. An offbeat ridicule of the world competitive ballroom dancing in Australia, Strictly Ballroom is a multi-coloured spectacle which still has a very human heart to it. Each performance is strong, from Pat Thomson's over-zealous stage mother to Bill Hunter's Barry Fife, the unscruplous head of the Australian Dancing Fedoration. The final dance is stunning. And aside from being fun and sparkling, there's one scene in it, one shot that has made me always curious about whatever film Luhrmann will do next - as the camera pans up Scott's body as he trains, the light of the freight train goes past. It's a gorgeous shot - something about it sticks with me, adding some extra depth to this hoot of a film. 8/10.

VOTE NOW for your favourite vocalist - Empire's Favourite Voices

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 76
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 2/1/2013 2:27:13 PM   
matty_b

Pillow Talk (Michael Gordon)

There are better Doris Day/Rock Hudson/Tony Randall comedies out there (Lover Come Back is the best), but this is still finely written, brilliantly performed fun. (3.5)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to MovieAddict247)
Post #: 77
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 2/1/2013 2:41:00 PM   
elab49

1. The Goat-Herder and Lots and Lots and Lots of Goats (Rose, 2011)
Curious hint of Au Bout de Monde, and it looks more like a witch herding deer whose numbers change mysteriously throughout, but a sweet little short and quite a find for people who like things ordered.
  1. Wind Mills (Bergere, 2011)
Beautiful background work married to an inability to tell an actual story - colouring has hints of Kells but the artist should stick to painting.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 78
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 2/1/2013 2:43:21 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

Curious hint of Au Bout de Monde, and it looks more like a witch herding deer whose numbers change mysteriously throughout, but a sweet little short and quite a find for people who like things ordered.

Goats? I like goats.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 79
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 2/1/2013 2:45:19 PM   
Harry Tuttle

The Muppets (James Bobin, 2012)
First viewing of the year and probably the 30th viewing(at least) of the film in total and I still absolutely love it. It has heart, charm and keeps giving the third greatest gift pretty much from start to finish. The songs are fantastic as well, I still think Pictures in My Head is a better song than Man or Muppet, it pretty much always gives me goosebumps. The full cast rendition of Rainbow Connection is a thing of beauty as well. Can't wait to see where they go next (Gervais' involvement in the sequel doesn't bother me at all, I still quite like the guy) 4.5

Moon (Duncan Jones, 2009)
Wow. The performances here are fantastic (Rockwell is the man) and the story is tight and brilliantly paced (the ending is a little hokey though). What surprised me most though was how expensive the film looks for an indie title. The production values are amazing which really helps to sell the setting of the film. I can see this featuring highly in my list at the end of the year. 5

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 80
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 2/1/2013 2:46:40 PM   
MonsterCat

quote:

Goats? I like goats.

I thought you people were into sheep.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 81
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 2/1/2013 2:47:19 PM   
elab49

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

Goats? I like goats.

I was going to ask where it was on your top films of the year list. Being it's not only goats - but a Goatherder!!!

quote:

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 82
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 2/1/2013 2:47:57 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle

Gervais' involvement in the sequel

Do you mark your calendar to ruin The Muppets for me?

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 83
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 2/1/2013 2:48:28 PM   
MonsterCat

While I'm here, does anyone remember how to make a link to a thread open on a particular post?

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 84
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 2/1/2013 2:48:45 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

quote:

Goats? I like goats.

I thought you people were into sheep.

Variety is good for the soul.

quote:

I was going to ask where it was on your top films of the year list. Being it's not only goats - but a Goatherder!!!

I'm going to see if I can find it.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 85
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 2/1/2013 2:50:40 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

quote:

Hey it was Empire that broke the story not me .

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 86
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 2/1/2013 2:53:16 PM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

While I'm here, does anyone remember how to make a link to a thread open on a particular post?

Search for a post by Gram near the beginning of the 2010 thread (I think)

quote:

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 87
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 2/1/2013 2:54:11 PM   
elab49

quote:

quote:

quote:

Hey it was Empire that broke the story not me .

That news damn near ruined my festive season - my new plush Fozzie and Animal were pretty pissed off too.

http://vimeo.com/37176891

goats galore

quote:

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 88
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 2/1/2013 3:10:20 PM   
SadFace

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: SadFace

John Travolta has a little something to put up a bedridden fat woman. Starts off very slowly, picks up in the second half.

What film is that?

The Girl Who's Actually A Boy But Plays A Girl In A Fat Suit

It's got Oscar written all over its fat face.

Tobias, you blowhard.

quote:

That's the most wrong I've ever seen someone be on this forum. And both Gimli and Elab post here.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 89
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 2/1/2013 4:02:25 PM   
rawlinson

Lincoln

Spielberg taking on Lincoln and the abolition of slavery. You'd expect a focus on the big Lincoln moments, with DDL getting to deliver a lot of grand speeches while stirring music swells. And you'd be wrong. Instead you get Spielberg's most interesting film in about thirty years. It's not about the battles of the civil war and it's not about the human life that is wasted by the war, it's about the dirty politics good men have to take part in to get something achieved. Lincoln wants to get slavery abolished, but there's rumours that the south are willing to talk peace. If the war ends before the amendment to ban slavery is passed, Lincoln knows that the vote will go against him. If word even reaches the other politicians that there is a chance of peace talks, he could still lose the vote. Why antagonise the rebels by banning slavery if the civil war can end with slavery intact? Lincoln has to choose, make sure the slaves are freed and risk a bloody war lasting even longer, or make peace in the country and keep men in chains. Although even that description is making the film sound uplifting. And it's not uplifting, it's about the backroom deals that politicians make, the way they're willing to sell their beliefs (and their votes) in order to get a cushy guaranteed job. Lincoln targets a certain number of democrats who he thinks can be persuaded to vote his way, he just has to give them what they want first. The focus on this political gamesmanship takes up most of the running time, only in the last twenty minutes or so does it fall into the kind of usual Spielbergian moments, and even then he still manages to subvert much of what you'd expect from him as a director. DDL is also a surprise, given his recent run of performances, you'd be forgiven for expecting him to play Lincoln big. Instead he gives us his most restrained work in years, making the president a charming, softly-spoken old sod who has a great way with a story. It's difficult to imagine any of the other Oscar contenders giving a more deserving performance. Also excellent are Tommy Lee Jones as the firebrand Thaddeus Stevens (surely one of the frontrunners for supporting actor) and David Strathairn as Lincoln's astute advisor. More disappointing is Sally Field, who plays the part a notch short of full on hysterics. To be fair, that's how the character seems to be written, but she's capable of stronger, more rounded work than she gives here. She starts so fragile that she leaves herself nowhere to go when the character is pushed, so she becomes over the top when everyone else seems more settled in their parts, and you never forget she's ACTING as a result. The Oscar talk seems to be based on one big argument scene with DDL, but I liked her best when the character was more playful, such as when she reminds Stevens why he'll never be adored in the way her husband is. As much as I hate to say it, JGL is also a disappointment, although that's more because his character is treated as an afterthought. Other actors are able to make a bit of a mark on the film, even with limited screen time, but JGL's character of Robert Lincoln is just given nothing to do. Mostly though, it's a very good film from a director who rarely impresses me. It's probably the frontrunner for the Oscar. Less problematic than Zero Dark Thirty seems to be (Also, Spielberg hasn't won in 15 years) and I think it'll speak to voters following on from an election year in a way that Argo might not.

(in reply to SadFace)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discussion Thread Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI