Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discussion Thread

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discussion Thread Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 30/11/2012 3:56:08 PM   
Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 31
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 30/11/2012 3:57:38 PM   
Olaf

Here is a medal

for you

due to your success

in getting the joke

well done

you did it

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 32
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 30/11/2012 3:58:31 PM   
rawlinson

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 33
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 30/11/2012 4:04:43 PM   
Deviation

This is my proudest moment, after not being banned by elab.

quote:

There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 34
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 30/11/2012 4:06:25 PM   
Olaf

You could add the medal to your av so it is always with you. Or perhaps you could change your title to 'medallist'.

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 35
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 30/11/2012 4:09:36 PM   
Deviation

Mods, change my title to "medallist".

quote:

quote:

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 36
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 30/11/2012 4:11:21 PM   
Olaf

Now everyone will see your posts and think, 'now there is a poster who is a success of some kind or another'

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 37
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 1/12/2012 6:16:47 AM   
Pigeon Army

quote:

ORIGINAL: Olaf

Now everyone will see your posts and think, 'now there is a poster who is a success of some kind or another'

I'm so proud that you were able to say that with a straight face

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc
She's supposed to be 13! I'd want her to be very attractive though

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat
quote:

ORIGINAL: Pigeon Army
Stop being mean to Deviation

No.

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 38
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 1/12/2012 10:36:15 AM   
Olaf

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pigeon Army

quote:

ORIGINAL: Olaf

I'm so proud that you were able to say that with a straight face

'Success' is such a relative term.

(in reply to Pigeon Army)
Post #: 39
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 2/12/2012 3:49:33 PM   
Rinc

Do I post my list here then? I'm just so confused.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:
[ color=#F1F1F1 ]text[ /color ]

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 40
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 13/12/2012 1:34:12 PM   
hubu_phonk

Hi, i'll be up for a wee list this coming year now that i'm sorted with digs etc so can i have a wee slot :)

Straight in, no kissing

http://www.last.fm/user/hubuphonk

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 41
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 13/12/2012 8:19:53 PM   
elab49

I'm a bit confused as well. I think it's about half and half single thread/double thread but it seems fair enough to give it a shot?

But the list thread is locked - so that's the part that's confused me. Should we unlock and stickie it?

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to hubu_phonk)
Post #: 42
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 13/12/2012 8:43:20 PM   
Beetlejuice!

The whole thing has become unnecessarily complicated

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 43
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 13/12/2012 9:06:33 PM   
elab49

Not really - one thread or two is a fairly simple question. I just want to check because the other thread was locked.

Sod it - it's unlocked and stickied. We can still agree the use of the thread in here.

Hubu - if you'd like to book a slot it's the other thread that will have the lists

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Beetlejuice!)
Post #: 44
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 1/1/2013 1:01:04 PM   
MonsterCat

I'm assuming this is where we post reviews and what-not. Seems like a shame that the first review of the year for this thread should be mine.

1: Die Hard 2 (Renny Harlin; 1990)

Is it just me or was William Sadler channeling Derek Zoolander with his pouty face? In any case, while it is an inferior film compared to the awesome original, Die Hard 2 is still a fun and efficiently put together sequel. Having McClane fail spectacularly in his attempts to avert a plane crash was a bold and interesting move, but like Matty said, this moment sits awkwardly with the remainder of the film which is relatively lighter and humorous in tone. There is also a slightly unsavory lingering on gruesome violence. While Die Hard was a violent film, it never made a point of depicting violence and mutilation in a graphic context. Die Hard 2, on the other hand, fully earns its 18 certificate. Still, as Die Hard sequels go it's one of the better ones.

< Message edited by MonsterCat -- 1/1/2013 7:54:12 PM >

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013
Post #: 45
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 1/1/2013 4:28:54 PM   
Rebel scum

1-The Matrix Reloaded (Wachowski & Wachowski, 2003) 4/10

Something tells me this won't be #1 for very long, but a rewatch has helped me pin down just why I dislike this film. It's the potential for a good story that keeps being hinted at before the bullshit actual story turns up again. When the Oracle hints that the matrix contains ghosts and werewolves, I'd expect a proper badass action sequence with proper ghosts and werewolves, not humans who roar a bit. Neo coming to terms with being the Messiah should be a pivotal aspect of his character, but the only real effect it has on him is that he has to talk to poorly-dressed people more and he has to wait a bit to fuck Trinity, oh no. The two things that do really work are the aesthetics (Zion looks amazing, and the scenes in the matrix have a ghoulish sense of "off" about them) and that freeway chase, which is a perfect representation of how super-powered being would have a car chase - leaping from car to car and off ramps with nary a regard for the laws of physics. Ten minutes of action brilliance sandwiched between a below-average dull sequel to a masterpiece original.

"We are not safe! A dark menace rises to the east! Duckies go quack! Cows go moo! I want ice cream. Verily, will you two hobbits join my quest?"

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 46
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 1/1/2013 4:36:17 PM   
garvielloken

I know they don't compare to the first film but I still have a lot of time for the Matrix sequels. The only thing I really don't like about them is the awful rave scene in Reloaded. Other than that I find them very enjoyable.

Exactly six miles north of Skagg Mountain in the Valley of Pain, there lives an evil devilmonster. His name is Bingo Gas Station Motel Cheeseburger With A Side Of Aircraft Noise And You'll Be Gary Indiana.

Razzle them, dazzle them. Razzle dazzle them.

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 47
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 1/1/2013 4:40:11 PM   
jiraffejustin

Everything Will Be Ok (2006, Hertzfield)

Having seen none of Hertzfield's work to previous to this, I can say this was a pleasant introduction to a new acquaintance. Brilliant narration. Funny deadpan delivery. Fun experimenty animation style. An experimental animated short isn't the sort of thing that many people would call realistic, but I think it realistically depicts an emotional breakdown. So in that way, it's one of the more realistic films around. I haven't seen the rest of the Bill trilogy yet, but if the other two are as good as this one 2013 might be my year.

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 48
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 1/1/2013 5:04:40 PM   
MonsterCat

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rebel scum

Something tells me this won't be #1 for very long, but a rewatch has helped me pin down just why I dislike this film. It's the potential for a good story that keeps being hinted at before the bullshit actual story turns up again. When the Oracle hints that the matrix contains ghosts and werewolves, I'd expect a proper badass action sequence with proper ghosts and werewolves, not humans who roar a bit. Neo coming to terms with being the Messiah should be a pivotal aspect of his character, but the only real effect it has on him is that he has to talk to poorly-dressed people more and he has to wait a bit to fuck Trinity, oh no. The two things that do really work are the aesthetics (Zion looks amazing, and the scenes in the matrix have a ghoulish sense of "off" about them) and that freeway chase, which is a perfect representation of how super-powered being would have a car chase - leaping from car to car and off ramps with nary a regard for the laws of physics. Ten minutes of action brilliance sandwiched between a below-average dull sequel to a masterpiece original.

The Matrix = woah!

The Matrix Reloaded = solid. Nothing amazing

The Matrix Revolutions = Boring. Only comes alive when Hugo Weaving turns up with his hammy acting. And then there's Monica Belluci's tits...

< Message edited by MonsterCat -- 1/1/2013 5:05:52 PM >

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 49
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 1/1/2013 5:11:26 PM   
garvielloken

quote:

ORIGINAL: jiraffejustin

Everything Will Be Ok (2006, Hertzfield)

I haven't seen the rest of the Bill trilogy yet, but if the other two are as good as this one

You should and they are. Proud is my favourite of the three mainly because the balance of comedy and drama is perfect. Beautiful Day is more sombre and the comedy is pushed to the background but that ending was just... wow!

Exactly six miles north of Skagg Mountain in the Valley of Pain, there lives an evil devilmonster. His name is Bingo Gas Station Motel Cheeseburger With A Side Of Aircraft Noise And You'll Be Gary Indiana.

Razzle them, dazzle them. Razzle dazzle them.

(in reply to jiraffejustin)
Post #: 50
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 1/1/2013 5:29:32 PM   
Rebel scum

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rebel scum

The Matrix = woah!

The Matrix Reloaded = solid. Nothing amazing

The Matrix Revolutions = Boring. Only comes alive when Hugo Weaving turns up with his hammy acting. And then there's Monica Belluci's tits...

Weaving really made his scenes good, mostly because he's clearly having loads of fun. I remember Revolutions being pretty awful, but since I've rewatched Reloaded I feel obliged to check it's as bad as I remember.

"We are not safe! A dark menace rises to the east! Duckies go quack! Cows go moo! I want ice cream. Verily, will you two hobbits join my quest?"

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 51
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 1/1/2013 5:40:42 PM   
MonsterCat

Revolutions simply boils down to a lot of mindless battle sequences and one long boring fight scene between Weaving and Reeves.

Clearly the Wachowskis were building up to one almighty tussle between the machines and the human resistance, but it was just so fucking boring. It's a real shame.

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 52
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 1/1/2013 6:51:49 PM   
homersimpson_esq

On the Town is my first film of the year. I love musicals.

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 53
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 1/1/2013 7:32:56 PM   
matty_b

Sitting Pretty (Walter Lang)

When hassled Robert Young and Maureen O'Hara advertise for a babysitter for their three unruly boys, they probably aren't expecting fastidious and arch Clifton Webb to turn up on their doorsteps. Mary Poppins he isn't. You'd expect a modern day remake to star someone like Robin Williams or Billy Crystal and be full of poop jokes, so it's pleasing that a film of the '40s obviously never goes down that route. Instead, it's much more interested in poking fun at the nosy and gossipy nature of American suburbia as everyone suddenly finds interest in this new male nanny. In one sense it's quite underwritten in that we never find out just how Webb works his way on the kids (who never seem that unruly or terrifying either), but Webb is delightfully dry and elevates the somewhat thin material into something greatly amusing. (3)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 54
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 1/1/2013 8:56:42 PM   
MonsterCat

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b

Oh for fuck's sake, we let Paul start this thread?

PAUL?!

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 55
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 1/1/2013 10:44:01 PM   
Rebel scum

2-The Matrix Revolutions (Wachowski & Wackowski, 2003) 3/10

Yup, just as bad as I remember it. Most of the problems with Reloaded are carried across, but here the focus is taken away from the central trio and put instead on a bunch of random ancillary characters. The centerpiece of the film is a 20-minute robots vs humans action sequence, featuring none of the characters we actually care about so the endless BANG RATATATATATA CRASH BZZZZZ is just so fucking BORING. The first 20 minutes saving Neo is pretty pointless as well, and the idea of a train station between realities is an intriguing one that doesn't go anywhere. The wonderful look of the film is still intact though, and that brief moment where Trinity sees the sky is genuinely breathtaking. That's about it, what a fucking awful end to a trilogy with so much potential.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 56
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 1/1/2013 11:07:37 PM   
homersimpson_esq

Day of the Dead, Romero,

It's no musical.

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 57
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 2/1/2013 1:27:23 AM   
jiraffejustin

quote:

ORIGINAL: homersimpson_esq

Day of the Dead, Romero,

It's no musical.

I'm in the minority here, but I like it more than Dawn.

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 58
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 2/1/2013 1:54:45 AM   
SadFace

The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest (Alfredson, 2009)

Starts off very slowly and when a redonkulously exciting character like Lisbeth Salander spends a large portion of the movie bedridden and hardly able to talk or walk, it does begin to drag. Still, the film picks up in the second half and has enough good moments to redeem it. - 6/10

Hairspray (Shankman, 2007)

Fun, colourful and with catchy numbers, but lacks a little something to put this up there with the greatest musicals. It's not far off though. Oh yeah, John Travolta also plays a fat woman. - 7/10

< Message edited by SadFace -- 2/1/2013 1:56:04 AM >

Tobias, you blowhard.

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

That's the most wrong I've ever seen someone be on this forum. And both Gimli and Elab post here.

(in reply to jiraffejustin)
Post #: 59
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discus... - 2/1/2013 2:27:47 AM   
KnightofZyryab

TED

Half of me wanted to hate this before I saw it since Family Guy has started to get on my nerves and Seth Macfarlane I find to be annoyingly self-referential, but I admit to laughing pretty heartily at times through this. Patrick Stewart's voice over, Mark Wahlberg's performance and the scene when Johnny and Ted meet Flash are the highlights in an enjoyable and often times very funny comedy. Plus, the final joke is brilliant.

7/10

Imminent viewings : The Place Beyond the Pines

Read my blog at: http://alcentrodelaberinto.blogspot.com/

(in reply to SadFace)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2013 - Discussion Thread Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI