Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Top 100 TV/Radio Shows: 2013

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Top 100 TV/Radio Shows: 2013 Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Top 100 TV/Radio Shows: 2013 - 13/1/2013 12:47:02 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

Maybe you should splash out on one of these

Want one.

That's not you in the picture?

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 181
RE: Top 100 TV/Radio Shows: 2013 - 13/1/2013 12:47:43 PM   
MonsterCat

Christ, I wish.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 182
RE: Top 100 TV/Radio Shows: 2013 - 13/1/2013 1:03:25 PM   
Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

But Call the Midwife was awful. And you know it was awful. Why do it to yourself?

It's a disease!

I'm actually quite proud of myself. I instead watched the Neil Armstrong doc from Christmas and recorded over Midwife to make sure I don't waste 90 minutes at a later date. So that's whittlled down the pile of unwatched film and TV I have by about 0.07%

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 183
RE: Top 100 TV/Radio Shows: 2013 - 13/1/2013 3:46:35 PM   
impqueen

Midwife is pants, Raymond is rubbish, The Middle is average, Thick of It is amazeballs, Spaced was pretty good and Gosling was best as Young Hercules.

Galapagos 3D with David Attenborough (Sky 3D) (2013)
Yes I have a 3D television and 4 pairs of 3D Glasses and this documentary was very good though a little repetitive. The 3D worked for the most part, tortoises are cool, iguanas are better, Blue-footed Boobyís are beautiful and Whale Sharks are hilariously massive fish. (3)

Yes, always.

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 184
RE: Top 100 TV/Radio Shows: 2013 - 13/1/2013 3:59:18 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

But Call the Midwife was awful. And you know it was awful. Why do it to yourself?

It's a disease!

I'm actually quite proud of myself. I instead watched the Neil Armstrong doc from Christmas and recorded over Midwife to make sure I don't waste 90 minutes at a later date. So that's whittlled down the pile of unwatched film and TV I have by about 0.07%

Good for you.

Post #: 185
RE: Top 100 TV/Radio Shows: 2013 - 14/1/2013 2:33:11 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Single shows

1. Neil Armstrong: First Man On The Moon
Interesting doc. The bulk of the hour is, perhaps obviously, taken up with the build-up to the moon landing and everything after that seems rushed. Overuse of dramatic music doesn't help at times. But I don't think I'll ever tire of seeing footage from Apollo 11.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Much more better!
Post #: 186
RE: Top 100 TV/Radio Shows: 2013 - 15/1/2013 8:54:48 PM   
rawlinson

Gimli, next week BBC radio are playing the pilot episode of It Sticks Out Half a Mile, the only one Arthur Lowe recorded.

Post #: 187
RE: Top 100 TV/Radio Shows: 2013 - 16/1/2013 5:59:47 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

Gimli, next week BBC radio are playing the pilot episode of It Sticks Out Half a Mile, the only one Arthur Lowe recorded.

I almost bought the show just before Christmas. I'll be giving this a listen for sure., Cheers!

When it's on? I can't seem to find it.

< Message edited by Gimli The Dwarf -- 16/1/2013 7:59:14 AM >

Much more better!

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 188
RE: Top 100 TV/Radio Shows: 2013 - 16/1/2013 9:25:02 AM   
rawlinson

Next Thursday I think, BBC 4 Extra.

Post #: 189
RE: Top 100 TV/Radio Shows: 2013 - 16/1/2013 1:14:26 PM   
elab49

Galapagos (Sky, 2013)

Unexpectedly a bit boring. This was a 3D thing for Sky I think? Too much focus on the pretty to the detriment of all else - the BBC stuff finds a balance this didn't. Attenborough and Lonesome George - great. But the show had more of the shallowness of US nature docs than the quality of the BBC stuff.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 190
RE: Top 100 TV/Radio Shows: 2013 - 18/1/2013 6:20:00 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

2. Cheers, season 4
Woody Harrelson's a great addition to the cast and good to see more of Frasier. The best season yet.

Single shows

6. The Golden Globes
As expected. Costeners speech was probably the best. The jokes were hit and miss and Will Ferrell's just as annoying as a presenter as he his as an actor.

Much more better!
Post #: 191
RE: Top 100 TV/Radio Shows: 2013 - 18/1/2013 12:53:26 PM   
MonsterCat

WTF, with Marc Maron - Dave Grohl

I've only been listening to Maron's podcast for a month now, but this one is probably the best ep yet. Grohl is a really engaging guest and it was a lot of fun listening to two geeks talk passionately about music. Grohl's Sound City doc sounds interesting.

< Message edited by MonsterCat -- 19/1/2013 12:34:01 AM >

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

Post #: 192
RE: Top 100 TV/Radio Shows: 2013 - 18/1/2013 1:09:12 PM   
rawlinson

I was going to mention that had been put up, but nobody ever seems to care when I mention WTF guests.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 193
RE: Top 100 TV/Radio Shows: 2013 - 18/1/2013 1:15:47 PM   
MonsterCat

Aww, there, there.

I care. I care a lot.

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 194
RE: Top 100 TV/Radio Shows: 2013 - 18/1/2013 1:35:48 PM   
impqueen

DW76 Singularity (2005) Fifth Doctor / Turlough

Russia, the late 21st CenturyÖ

The Somnus Foundation know the fate of humanity; they promise a brighter tomorrow where mankind will evolve into godlike figures with infinite power. They will lead us towards our destiny and expand our race across all stars. The Doctor too knows what is in store for humanity; he knows that what lies ahead is a struggle, an almost endless battle to survive and ensure our very existence and forge ahead to create a stronger empire in a vast unpredictable universe. He knows this because he has seen it with his own eyes he has been a part of it. History is changing, time is fracturing and the future is coming to wreak revenge on the past.

So good, an extremely confident piece with no fat and a lot of excellently realised ideas and though the identity of the Somnus is not a total revelation it still comes as an upsetting surprise and a bit of a kidney punch. Once again Peter Davison is superb (he really was on a role during 2005/2006) and Mark Strickson excels as the increasingly brilliant Turlough and they work wonderfully well together. This is one of the numerous audios that make me wish I could see them on television. (4.5)

Yes, always.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 195
RE: Top 100 TV/Radio Shows: 2013 - 18/1/2013 5:07:14 PM   
jiraffejustin

Undeclared

Apatow used to be pretty great. What happened? Undeclared really showed his potential, even more than Freaks. Freaks is the better show, but Undeclared was funnier and showed growth from Apatow. Why Fox bailed after a single season is beyond me. Also, Jason Segel has yet to match his performances as Eric the crazy boyfriend. And he probably never will.

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 196
RE: Top 100 TV/Radio Shows: 2013 - 20/1/2013 6:11:24 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Single shows

1. Freddie Mercury: The Great Pretender
The Beeb showed a one hour version of this last year and I think at the time I queried why they didn't show the 90 minutes version that was came out on DVD at the time. This was that longer version and very good it was too.

Much more better!

(in reply to jiraffejustin)
Post #: 197
RE: Top 100 TV/Radio Shows: 2013 - 20/1/2013 6:22:13 PM   
Gimli The Dwarf

1. Dexter, season 6
Watching it all over the course of a day, flaws and inconsistencies become exceptionally apparent, but it's still such an addictive show. I can't think of anything on Tv at the moment, and few ever, that so consistently gets me hooked. I just know I'm going to cave sometime and read about what happens after that cliffhanger ending.

Much more better!

Post #: 198
RE: Top 100 TV/Radio Shows: 2013 - 20/1/2013 9:19:25 PM   
ElephantBoy

Have I Got News For You Season 26 (2003) 8/10
The first series with the guest presenters and have to say at the time I found it very hit and miss, partly as I was still getting used to the show without AD who was so perfect in the role. Anyone this stands up much more on the repeat viewing, highlights are the altentive version of play your cards right, Merton getting on Hague for his stiffness and every priceless moment of the Boris episode

Cheers Season Four (1985) 8/10
The most consistent of the opening four series. It takes the Woody character a little time to settle, but once he does he becomes a vital part of the show providing some great punch lines. The Frasier character really comes into his own in this series with Grammer dong deadpan in a very entertaining way. The three part finale and cliff hanger is superb television, and personally I love the Bowling and Opera episodes.

Coming up for me is the latest Borgen, Weeds S2 and Buffy S5.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 199
RE: Top 100 TV/Radio Shows: 2013 - 21/1/2013 12:23:11 PM   
Harry Tuttle

Community Season 1
Didn't think much of the pilot and the introduction of Ken Jeong in the 2nd episode set off the alarm bells initially but it just goes to show how wrong an initial impression can be. This is just a fantastic show full of humour, warmth and fantastic characters (Abed and Troy's friendship is a thing of joy). I watched all 25 episodes in 2 sittings and promptly ordered season 2, that's how much I enjoyed it. Favourite episode is between Modern Warfare and Contemporary American Poultry. 5

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood
Post #: 200
RE: Top 100 TV/Radio Shows: 2013 - 22/1/2013 9:57:05 AM   
elab49

Late Night Hospital (MBC, 2011)

The story of a doctor who takes odd routes to find his wife's killer (including getting involved in MMA) works at a  decent place and adds a few twists and turns to whodunnit without getting overly convoluted. Sadly like many shows it assumes we can't remember something that happened a couple of episodes back so feels the need to repeat things (most personally annoying offender for me was that BSG for a moment forgot it was intelligent and did it). The acting's decent (helped by the lack of idols doing the crossover, the younger second male lead is 'just' an actor which helps - he played the younger version of Lee Woo-Jin in Oldboy). And at least Yoonn Tae-Young got to finish a series this time after the clusterbuck of the massive episode cut and mess of an ending of Strike Love. Ryoo Hyoun-Kyoung added to the more recent tally of balanced, non-hysterical, intelligent and sensible female leads - may we have many more.

I enjoyed it. Not massively brilliant and with quite a few faults, but it kept my mind occupied for a few nights.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 201
RE: Top 100 TV/Radio Shows: 2013 - 22/1/2013 10:32:07 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle

Community Season 1
Didn't think much of the pilot and the introduction of Ken Jeong in the 2nd episode set off the alarm bells initially but it just goes to show how wrong an initial impression can be. This is just a fantastic show full of humour, warmth and fantastic characters (Abed and Troy's friendship is a thing of joy). I watched all 25 episodes in 2 sittings and promptly ordered season 2, that's how much I enjoyed it. Favourite episode is between Modern Warfare and Contemporary American Poultry. 5

Much more better!

Post #: 202
RE: Top 100 TV/Radio Shows: 2013 - 25/1/2013 7:10:33 PM   
impqueen

NEA 4.3 Nevermore (2010) Eighth Doctor / Tamsin Drew
Iím being harsh because Iím not a big fan of Drew in this particular outing, admittedly itís her first real go but she doesnít come across as a great companion. To be fair however she does improve greatly before the end of the New Adventures series, Iím just still bitter about Lucie leavingÖagain...every time I listen. Anyway this is a good story set on an isolated world quarantined by the Time Lords and inspired by the stories of Edgar Allan Poe. (3)

Afternoon Drama Chapel of Skins (2013) Paul Evans
Radio4Extra
I think if I hadnít disliked a central character as much as I did (which I think was the point but still...) I would have rated this creepy and effective audio higher. (3)

< Message edited by impqueen -- 25/1/2013 8:50:42 PM >

Yes, always.

Post #: 203
RE: Top 100 TV/Radio Shows: 2013 - 25/1/2013 8:49:40 PM   
impqueen

The Darker Side of the Border The Brownie of the Black Haggs (2008) James Hogg Radio4Extra
I loved this, Captain Of The Polestar slightly beats in the creepy atmosphere race but other than that it's another brilliant adaptation of an under the skin story brilliantly brought to audio life. (4)

< Message edited by impqueen -- 25/1/2013 8:50:27 PM >

Yes, always.

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 204
RE: Top 100 TV/Radio Shows: 2013 - 25/1/2013 8:57:48 PM   
rawlinson

I have Chapel of Skins lined up to do. Have you heard Tales from Beyond the Pale? I've only listened to the first episode so far, very good performance from Vincent D'Onofrio.

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 205
RE: Top 100 TV/Radio Shows: 2013 - 25/1/2013 9:09:03 PM   
impqueen

I've not but I do like D'Onofrio.

Yes, always.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 206
RE: Top 100 TV/Radio Shows: 2013 - 27/1/2013 1:23:28 PM   
Harry Tuttle

Community Season 2.
Another fantastic season although it's not quite as good as season 1 IMO. For about 3 consecutive episodes they made Pierce one of the most hateful characters on telly to the extent that it kinda spoiled the group dynamic a bit for me. At the end of the day there's just no way anyone would want him around them. This is pretty much offset by Troy and Abed's awsomeness though so it was something I could get over pretty easily. 4.5

Favourite episodes - Accounting for Lawyers (the post credit sequence for this is my favourite bit from both seasons) and Critical Film Studies.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 207
RE: Top 100 TV/Radio Shows: 2013 - 27/1/2013 1:55:00 PM   
impqueen

Iíve never minded Pierce I quite like the fact heís mostly a shit. He goes too far at times but I think much like the end of Advanced Dungeons and Dragons when Neil asks him to play again the following week I sort of accept thatís who he is. One of the things I do love the most about Community is that none of the characters are perfect and all have (at times massive) faults, Abed might be cool but how many of us would constantly put up with some of his personality foibles? Still I understand him not being popular.

Advanced D&D is my favourite episode of Series Two and is probably my overall of the entire series so far.

Yes, always.

Post #: 208
RE: Top 100 TV/Radio Shows: 2013 - 27/1/2013 2:28:55 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

ORIGINAL: impqueen

I've never minded Pierce I quite like the fact he's mostly a shit. He goes too far at times but I think much like the end of Advanced Dungeons and Dragons when Neil asks him to play again the following week I sort of accept that's who he is. 

I agree in general but for me the Advanced D&D episode is where he went from being a bit of a shit to being an all out nasty twat (a process that started in Celebrity Pharmacology). I dunno, it just didn't ring true for me that the group would put up with him after that, a feeling that was heightened after Intermediate Documentary Filmmaking.

quote:

One of the things I do love the most about Community is that none of the characters are perfect and all have (at times massive) faults, Abed might be cool but how many of us would constantly put up with some of his personality foibles?

Oh, absolutely. I don't think I could put up with someone like Abed in real life (although the inclusion of Troy would soften the blow enormously ) but with him at least there's the suggestion that he has Arse burgers (that made me lol so hard in season 1 ) so you can kind of let him off with some of his more extreme behaviour. I think pretty much all the characters have an endearing side to them, even Pierce, but I thought season 2 kind of painted a couple of the characters in a more unsympathetic light at times. As well as my complaints about Pierce there were a couple of episodes where Britta came close to being too much.

Acting...Naturaaal

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 209
RE: Top 100 TV/Radio Shows: 2013 - 27/1/2013 2:37:37 PM   
Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle

Favourite episodes - Accounting for Lawyers (the post credit sequence for this is my favourite bit from both seasons) and Critical Film Studies.

That was just brilliant

Much more better!

Post #: 210
Page:   <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Top 100 TV/Radio Shows: 2013 Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI