Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Top 100 TV/Radio Shows: 2013

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Top 100 TV/Radio Shows: 2013 Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Top 100 TV/Radio Shows: 2013 - 7/1/2013 1:44:51 PM   
impqueen

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: impqueen

Candle Cove is a brilliant creation.

Yep, that 1970s t.v. station were ahead of their time.

They really were...

Yes, always.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 91
RE: Top 100 TV/Radio Shows: 2013 - 7/1/2013 1:46:52 PM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

NetNostalgia Forum Ė Television (local)

Skyshale033
Subject: Candle Cove local kidís show?
Does anyone remember this kidís show? It was called Candle Cove and I must have been 6 or 7. I never found reference to it anywhere so I think it was on a local station around 1971 or 1972. I lived in Ironton at the time. I donít remember which station, but I do remember it was on at a weird time, like 4:00 PM.

mike_painter65
Subject: Re: Candle Cove local kidís show?
it seems really familiar to meÖ..i grew up outside of ashland and was 9 yrs old in 72. candle coveÖwas it about pirates? i remember a pirate marionete at the mouth of a cave talking to a little girl

Skyshale033
YES! Okay Iím not crazy! I remember Pirate Percy. I was always kind of scared of him. He looked like he was built from parts of other dolls, real low-budget. His head was an old porcelain baby doll, looked like an antique that didnít belong on the body. I donít remember what station this was! I donít think it was WTSF though.

Jaren_2005
Sorry to ressurect this old thread but I know exactly what show you mean, Skyshale. I think Candle Cove ran for only a couple months in Ď71, not Ď72. I was 12 and I watched it a few times with my brother. It was channel 58, whatever station that was. My mom would let me switch to it after the news. Let me see what I remember.

It took place in Candle cove, and it was about a little girl who imagined herself to be friends with pirates. The pirate ship was called the Laughingstock, and Pirate Percy wasnít a very good pirate because he got scared too easily. And there was calliope music constantly playing. Donít remember the girlís name. Janice or Jade or something. Think it was Janice.

Skyshale033
Thank you Jaren!!! Memories flooded back when you mentioned the Laughingstock and channel 58. I remember the bow of the ship was a wooden smiling face, with the lower jaw submerged. It looked like it was swallowing the sea and it had that awful Ed Wynn voice and laugh. I especially remember how jarring it was when they switched from the wooden/plastic model, to the foam puppet version of the head that talked.

mike_painter65
ha ha i remember now too. ;) do you remember this part skyshale: ďyou haveÖto goÖINSIDE.Ē

Skyshale033
Ugh mike, I got a chill reading that. Yes I remember. Thatís what the ship always told Percy when there was a spooky place he had to go in, like a cave or a dark room where the treasure was. And the camera would push in on Laughingstockís face with each pause. YOU HAVEÖ TO GOÖ INSIDE. With his two eyes askew and that flopping foam jaw and the fishing line that opened and closed it. Ugh. It just looked so cheap and awful.

You guys remember the villain? He had a face that was just a handlebar mustache above really tall, narrow teeth.

kevin_hart
i honestly, honestly thought the villain was pirate percy. i was about 5 when this show was on. nightmare fuel.

Jaren_2005
That wasnít the villain, the puppet with the mustache. That was the villainís sidekick, Horace Horrible. He had a monocle too, but it was on top of the mustache. I used to think that meant he had only one eye.

But yeah, the villain was another marionette. The Skin-Taker. I canít believe what they let us watch back then.

kevin_hart
jesus h. christ, the skin taker. what kind of a kids show were we watching? i seriously could not look at the screen when the skin taker showed up. he just descended out of nowhere on his strings, just a dirty skeleton wearing that brown top hat and cape. and his glass eyes that were too big for his skull. christ almighty.

Skyshale033
Wasnít his top hat and cloak all sewn up crazily? Was that supposed to be childrenís skin??

mike_painter65
yeah i think so. rememer his mouth didnít open and close, his jaw just slid back and foth. i remember the little girl said ďwhy does your mouth move like thatĒ and the skin-taker didnít look at the girl but at the camera and said ďTO GRIND YOUR SKINĒ

Skyshale033
Iím so relieved that other people remember this terrible show!

I used to have this awful memory, a bad dream I had where the opening jingle ended, the show faded in from black, and all the characters were there, but the camera was just cutting to each of their faces, and they were just screaming, and the puppets and marionettes were flailing spastically, and just all screaming, screaming. The girl was just moaning and crying like she had been through hours of this. I woke up many times from that nightmare. I used to wet the bed when I had it.

kevin_hart
i donít think that was a dream. i remember that. i remember that was an episode.

Skyshale033
No no no, not possible. There was no plot or anything, I mean literally just standing in place crying and screaming for the whole show.

kevin_hart
maybe iím manufacturing the memory because you said that, but i swear to god i remember seeing what you described. they just screamed.

Jaren_2005
Oh God. Yes. The little girl, Janice, I remember seeing her shake. And the Skin-Taker screaming through his gnashing teeth, his jaw careening so wildly I thought it would come off its wire hinges. I turned it off and it was the last time I watched. I ran to tell my brother and we didnít have the courage to turn it back on.

mike_painter65
i visited my mom today at the nursing home. i asked her about when i was littel in the early 70s, when i was 8 or 9 and if she remebered a kidís show, candle cove. she said she was suprised i could remember that and i asked why, and she said ďbecause i used to think it was so strange that you said Ďiím gona go watch candle cove now momí and then you would tune the tv to static and juts watch dead air for 30 minutes. you had a big imagination with your little pirate show.Ē

SOLD.

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 92
RE: Top 100 TV/Radio Shows: 2013 - 7/1/2013 1:48:04 PM   
MonsterCat

The Skin-Taker?

This is a kid's show, right? wtf

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 93
RE: Top 100 TV/Radio Shows: 2013 - 7/1/2013 1:48:09 PM   
elab49

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

Boardwalk Empire S3

Neither particularly impressed me although there were a few nice performances in Boardwalk. Michael Shannon should just quit now though, they haven't got a clue what to do with him.

Branching out into being an enemy of television?

SPOILERS FOR Boardwalk Empire

I've not rated it since the start - they never gave me the impression, for two seasons, that they actually knew what story they wanted to tell. They just wanted lots of cool, intense, well-shot and acted scenes. At least they got rid of Pitt, whose character was, for me, always a major problem.

< Message edited by elab49 -- 7/1/2013 2:01:22 PM >

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 94
RE: Top 100 TV/Radio Shows: 2013 - 7/1/2013 1:50:47 PM   
matty_b

quote:

ORIGINAL: homersimpson_esq

"It was reminiscent of my night with Matty's mum, the filthy tease."

You only got the one?

lol loser

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

Post #: 95
RE: Top 100 TV/Radio Shows: 2013 - 7/1/2013 1:52:25 PM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

quote:

quote:

Boardwalk Empire S3

Neither particularly impressed me although there were a few nice performances in Boardwalk. Michael Shannon should just quit now though, they haven't got a clue what to do with him.

I've not rated it since the start - they never gave me the impression, for two seasons, that they actually knew what story they wanted to tell. They just wanted lots of cool, intense, well-shot and acted scenes. At least they got rid of Pitt, whose character was, for me, always a major problem.

Yeahhhhh, uh, spoilers...

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 96
RE: Top 100 TV/Radio Shows: 2013 - 7/1/2013 1:53:05 PM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b

quote:

You only got the one?

lol loser

I was taking about merely the most recent such encounter. I thought that was so obvious it didn't need saying.

Bristol Bad Film Club

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 97
RE: Top 100 TV/Radio Shows: 2013 - 7/1/2013 1:56:28 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Boardwalk Empire S3

Yeahhhhh, uh, spoilers...

I read this in the Dr. Who thread recently...

quote:

They can discuss it with the spoilers in here - everyone else does by showing courtesy to other users and using spoiler tags, hidden links and/or inviso text - all clearly outlined. It's not difficult.

Post #: 98
RE: Top 100 TV/Radio Shows: 2013 - 7/1/2013 1:56:34 PM   
elab49

Apologies for that - I wasn't thinking and it was amazingly inconsiderate.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Post #: 99
RE: Top 100 TV/Radio Shows: 2013 - 7/1/2013 1:57:48 PM   
elab49

To be fair, that was also discussed with respect to deliberate spoilers. People still screw up and make mistakes.

quote:

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 100
RE: Top 100 TV/Radio Shows: 2013 - 7/1/2013 1:58:21 PM   
rawlinson

I know, but it's still funny.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 101
RE: Top 100 TV/Radio Shows: 2013 - 7/1/2013 2:00:33 PM   
elab49

Given I've already made an edit today on one of Dev's posts, 

It just goes to show that in the midst of thinking about a discussion point you screw up and sometimes forget. But at least I know what I did was bad.

quote:

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 102
RE: Top 100 TV/Radio Shows: 2013 - 7/1/2013 2:01:16 PM   
ElephantBoy

quote:

quote:

quote:

Boardwalk Empire S3

SPOILERS FOR Boardwalk Empire

Gotta agree with you on this, think I liked the first season a bit more, but by the end it was feeling all very empity, and more interesting in looking glossy, getting the period detail right and name checking issues than making the story and characters credible. Also what a waste of Kelly Macdonald

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 103
RE: Top 100 TV/Radio Shows: 2013 - 7/1/2013 2:02:27 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

But at least I know what I did was bad.

Slating Boardwalk Empire? Damn right it was.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 104
RE: Top 100 TV/Radio Shows: 2013 - 7/1/2013 2:04:11 PM   
homersimpson_esq

We're not angry elab, we're just disappointed.

Bristol Bad Film Club

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 105
RE: Top 100 TV/Radio Shows: 2013 - 7/1/2013 2:06:16 PM   
elab49

I'm mortified - I think I win that one. I really hate spoilers.

quote:

Post #: 106
RE: Top 100 TV/Radio Shows: 2013 - 7/1/2013 2:07:38 PM   
matty_b

You're a true enemy of TV, elab. As well as thinking you own the internet, you really do.

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b

quote:

You only got the one?

lol loser

I was taking about merely the most recent such encounter. I thought that was so obvious it didn't need saying.

Your face is obvious.

quote:

Post #: 107
RE: Top 100 TV/Radio Shows: 2013 - 7/1/2013 2:10:04 PM   
elab49

I can't even remember where that one came from!

Still - I liked Young Doctor's Notebook.

Now. Who do I complain to about the ludicrous decision to split Lewis in 2 thereby missing the entire damn point about the show it references.

quote:

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 108
RE: Top 100 TV/Radio Shows: 2013 - 7/1/2013 2:11:14 PM   
impqueen

The Darker Side of the Border, The Captain Of The Polestar (2008) Arthur Conan Doyle Radio4Extra
Creepy, creepy, creepy! (4)

The Price of Fear, William and Mary (1973) Vincent Price / Roald Dahl
If your recently deceased husband (or wife) had been a bit of a tyrannical dick what would you do if they had left an eye and some other bits and bobs (the brain perchance) behind to live on and watch over you for the rest of your days? I would, much like Mary do everything I was never allowed to when the old git was alive, everything he hated (drinking, smoking, Vincent PriceÖ) and make him watch. Good fun. (3.5)

Yes, always.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 109
RE: Top 100 TV/Radio Shows: 2013 - 7/1/2013 2:19:22 PM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Single shows

3. Happy Birthday E.T.
Reasonably interesting, excessively celebratory and a bit too mawkish for its own good. Still, it turned up a few things about the film I didn't know.

4. The Hobbit: T4 Premiere Special
I generally avoid these shows but with it being The Hobbit I gave it a go. Would have been nice to see some full interviews with the cast and not 30 second pieces.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 110
RE: Top 100 TV/Radio Shows: 2013 - 7/1/2013 2:20:51 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

You think you own the internet? Wasn't that the Dr. Who thread?

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 111
RE: Top 100 TV/Radio Shows: 2013 - 7/1/2013 2:22:57 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: impqueen

The Darker Side of the Border, The Captain Of The Polestar (2008) Arthur Conan Doyle Radio4Extra
Creepy, creepy, creepy! (4)

I quite like some of the other stuff Marty Ross did, Ghost Zone and Catch My Breath, but that series of adaptations are great. Has Brownie been on yet?

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 112
RE: Top 100 TV/Radio Shows: 2013 - 7/1/2013 2:24:10 PM   
matty_b

quote:

quote:

You think you own the internet? Wasn't that the Dr. Who thread?

Twas indeed.

quote:

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 113
RE: Top 100 TV/Radio Shows: 2013 - 7/1/2013 2:24:59 PM   
rawlinson

Thought so. That was funny.

Elab, did you catch the Roger Allam play at the weekend on the radio?

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 114
RE: Top 100 TV/Radio Shows: 2013 - 7/1/2013 2:26:04 PM   
elab49

I've only just discovered it existed as I was listing to OHG and it was mentioned at the end. I forgot the name before I looked for it though! - Do you remember?

quote:

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 115
RE: Top 100 TV/Radio Shows: 2013 - 7/1/2013 2:28:41 PM   
elab49

Found it as I remember the Du Maurier bit - I think. He's not in the cast list but it's The Years Between?

Me, headphones and Roger Allam speaking through them. That's the pm a write-off then.

quote:

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 116
RE: Top 100 TV/Radio Shows: 2013 - 7/1/2013 2:31:46 PM   
rawlinson

He's in the cast list in the Radio Times. Haven't listened to it myself yet to see how big a role it is though.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 117
RE: Top 100 TV/Radio Shows: 2013 - 7/1/2013 2:34:32 PM   
elab49

52 hours to go

quote:

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 118
RE: Top 100 TV/Radio Shows: 2013 - 7/1/2013 2:37:07 PM   
paul_ie86

So you're all going to go and watch Enlightened now?

My Group Project's facebook page. Please like

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 119
RE: Top 100 TV/Radio Shows: 2013 - 7/1/2013 2:39:41 PM   
elab49

I'd say 'What's Enlightened', but that'd be cruel. I did note it scrolling down. I can't say the premise really appealed.

quote:

(in reply to paul_ie86)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Top 100 TV/Radio Shows: 2013 Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI