Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Top 100 TV/Radio Shows: 2013

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Top 100 TV/Radio Shows: 2013 Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Top 100 TV/Radio Shows: 2013 - 3/1/2013 10:34:50 AM   
impqueen

I'd not seen that but it looks interesting.

Yes, always.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 61
RE: Top 100 TV/Radio Shows: 2013 - 3/1/2013 10:35:51 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Single shows

1. Fifties British War Films: Days of Glory
Some of my favourite films fall into this category of films and this was an interesting look at a few of them but as always with this type of thing, an hour really doesn't do the subject justice. Should I know who the presenter, Simon Heffer, is? I feel as if I should.

< Message edited by Gimli The Dwarf -- 3/1/2013 10:36:03 AM >

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 62
RE: Top 100 TV/Radio Shows: 2013 - 3/1/2013 1:17:33 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: impqueen

I'd not seen that but it looks interesting.

Yeah, I'm going to give it a try when it comes out.

On the podcast front, today's episode of WTF is an interview with Michael Keaton, for anyone interested.

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 63
RE: Top 100 TV/Radio Shows: 2013 - 4/1/2013 2:06:42 PM   
impqueen

DW62 The Last (2004) Eighth Doctor / Charley / C'rizz (Divergent Universe) (3)
DW63 Caerdroia (2004) Eighth Doctor / Charley / C'rizz (Divergent Universe) (4.5)
DW64 The Next Life (2004) Eighth Doctor / Charley / C'rizz (Divergent Universe) (3)

So the much maligned and bitched about two series arc set in the Divergent Universe comes to an end and to be fair to Big Finish, it ends solidly enough. The Divergent Universe never really worked, a place without any concept of time, populated by millions of worlds all controlled by the KromonÖor are they? Anyway there were some dark (read: total fuckery) episodes such as the pretty awful Creed of Kromon and the Twilight Kingdom but then in amongst all the flimflam there were truly brilliant stories. The utterly fantastic, nineteen-eighty-four inspired Natural History of Fear and the lovely organised religion critique Faith Stealers. The arc ending episodes consisting of The Last (excellently scripted), Caerdroia (incredibly fun with three Doctors) and The Next Life (a rushed ending due to the restart of Who on television) are a final solid if unspectacular effort. I think that the whole risky venture of the Divergent Universe would have been far more successful without Charley and C'rizz as the Doctorís companions. This is particularly highlighted during the following story Terror FirmaÖ

DW72 Terror Firma (2005) Eighth Doctor / Charley / C'rizz
Terror is a welcome return to our universe and an encounter with some familiar faces. Earth has been decimated (once again) by the Daleks. Davros (that old so and so) has released a virus that mutates humans into his Dalek creation and there are now eight billion. However Davros has let down his loyal originals and so while the Emperor is consumed by his own mortality a small resistance has sprung up. In the midst of all this are siblings Samson and Gemma Griffin, the reveal of their connection to the Doctor is shocking and really rather moving. It isnít perfect and though the initial set up for Samson and Gemma is superb their story sadly fades as the finish hurtles towards us. The performances from McGann and Terry Molloy (Davros) are both thoroughly entertaining and itís always nice to listen to the Doctor face off against an old foe. Unfortunately the trip back from the Divergent Universe hasnít improved mardy C'rizz or annoyingly whinny and possessive Charley. (4)

Yes, always.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 64
RE: Top 100 TV/Radio Shows: 2013 - 5/1/2013 11:35:15 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Single shows

1. The Girl
Based on this, Hitchcock was a sleazy, deluded, manipulative, sexist old perv. Exactly just how true all of this is I have no idea, but Hitchcocok as portayed by Toby Jones is as big a monster as any character that appeared in any of Hitchcock's actual films. But whether it be truth, speculation or make-believe, this was never less than fascinating, either as a recreation of the making of The Birds or the conflict bretween a director oin a power trip and a rising star. The scene in which real birds are used to attack Miller's Hedren is just as scary as anything in The Birds itself, as an entourage of peope realise that Hitch is gong to far but are all unwilling to step in. Jones is great, I'm sure it'll be the best potrayal of Hitchcock we see this year, and Miller's surprisngly good.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!
Post #: 65
RE: Top 100 TV/Radio Shows: 2013 - 5/1/2013 9:09:56 PM   
ElephantBoy

Charlie Brooker's 2012 Wipe (2013) 7.5/10
Not quite as good as some of the previous years, but pretty consistently funny and well judged on whats been a grim past year.

Weeds Season One (2005) 8/10
Engrossing black comedy about the darkness lurking in a typical suberb town and the despration of a single mother to make support her family. The fact that such a subject matter manages to be so entertaining, with a whole host of rich visual jokes and daring humour is one of the great achivements of the show. Also it is a truthful account of these people lives, and actually handles several issues of American culture with subtle. The cast are really good too, with Mary Louise Parker making a eudring lead, Elizabeth Perkins is ar her spikey best and Tonye Patano as Heylia James maybe one of the great comic creations of recent years.

Death Camp Treblinka: Survivor Stories (2013) 9/10
A compelling document of one of the most terrible things anyone can ever go through, almost unbearable at times, but a celebration of the human spirit none the less.

Coming up for me amongst other things the second season of Borgen.

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 66
RE: Top 100 TV/Radio Shows: 2013 - 6/1/2013 8:57:21 PM   
impqueen

화이트 크리스마스 / White Christmas (08 Episodes) (KBS2) (2011)
Seven students and a teacher are left at the prestigious Susin High School in the isolated mountains of Gangwando during the Christmas vacation. The students have remained because each has received a mysterious letter. Who sent it, why was it sent and what do the sins in the letter mean? They are shortly joined by car accident victim and psychiatrist Kim Yo Han. It soon becomes apparent that the letter is far more than a simple prankÖAre monsters created, or are humans born monsters?

That is the question that dominates this decidedly enjoyable Korean drama. (3.5)

Aliens in the Mind (1976) Vincent Price / Peter Cushing (they play characters BUT I like to think Cushing and Price explored paranormal shit together)

Peter Cushing (John Cornelius) and Vincent Price (Professor Curtis Lark) investigate the inhabitants of an isolated Hebridean island when their old friend dies mysteriously.

Listening to Vincent Price and Peter Cushing eloquently discussing weirdo island natives and mutants has got to be one of the best things ever. I could listen to both for hours on end and though from time to time this creepy audio can be a tad dry and hands over occasionally to Mr Exposition it remains an awfully entertaining piece. It moves along well enough and it brilliantly ups the tension as the story progresses and the audio landscape is subtly brought to life. (4)

DW129a An Earthly Child (2009) Eighth Doctor / Susan
Thirty years have passed since the Doctor left granddaughter Susan on Earth (22nd Century) to fight the Daleks, he returns to find a xenophobic, technophobic world, stuck two hundred years in the past. Oh and his great grandson Alex is a berk. I enjoy this little prelude to a rather more brilliant and ultimately tragic episode but as a long overdue reunion itís very good. It would have been better if Susan and the Doctor had more time together because for the first time ever I like Susan. (4)

DW79 Night Thoughts (2006) Seventh Doctor / Ace / Hex
A good idea not brilliantly executed, creepy enough with a moody performance from McCoy, worth a listen. (2)

Yes, always.

(in reply to ElephantBoy)
Post #: 67
RE: Top 100 TV/Radio Shows: 2013 - 6/1/2013 9:08:08 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

Aliens in the Mind (1976) Vincent Price / Peter Cushing (they play characters BUT I like to think Cushing and Price explored paranormal shit together)

Peter Cushing (John Cornelius) and Vincent Price (Professor Curtis Lark) investigate the inhabitants of an isolated Hebridean island when their old friend dies mysteriously.

Listening to Vincent Price and Peter Cushing eloquently discussing weirdo island natives and mutants has got to be one of the best things ever. I could listen to both for hours on end and though from time to time this creepy audio can be a tad dry and hands over occasionally to Mr Exposition it remains an awfully entertaining piece. It moves along well enough and it brilliantly ups the tension as the story progresses and the audio landscape is subtly brought to life. (4)

Have you listened to The Price of Fear?

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 68
RE: Top 100 TV/Radio Shows: 2013 - 6/1/2013 10:06:34 PM   
impqueen

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

quote:

I've listened to a couple but I think Iíll go through them again properly, so William and Mary is up first.

Yes, always.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 69
RE: Top 100 TV/Radio Shows: 2013 - 7/1/2013 8:40:39 AM   
rawlinson

quote:

quote:

quote:

I've listened to a couple but I think Iíll go through them again properly, so William and Mary is up first.

There's some really good eps in there, including a Charles Birkin.

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 70
RE: Top 100 TV/Radio Shows: 2013 - 7/1/2013 9:27:46 AM   
elab49

quote:

»≠ņŐ∆ģ Ň©łģĹļł∂Ĺļ / White Christmas (08 Episodes) (KBS2) (2011)
Seven students and a teacher are left at the prestigious Susin High School in the isolated mountains of Gangwando during the Christmas vacation. The students have remained because each has received a mysterious letter. Who sent it, why was it sent and what do the sins in the letter mean? They are shortly joined by car accident victim and psychiatrist Kim Yo Han. It soon becomes apparent that the letter is far more than a simple prank°¶Are monsters created, or are humans born monsters?

That is the question that dominates this decidedly enjoyable Korean drama. (3.5)

Glad you got a chance to see it and impressed to see the Korean title!

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 71
RE: Top 100 TV/Radio Shows: 2013 - 7/1/2013 9:36:33 AM   
elab49

Although it looks weirder when I quote it.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 72
RE: Top 100 TV/Radio Shows: 2013 - 7/1/2013 10:54:58 AM   
paul_ie86

Series
3. Enlightened Series 1
This series written by Mike White gets off to a slow start but hits a real purple patch about half way through that lasts until the end of the season. The series pace and low stakes may not be to everyone's taste but if you can get on the series' wavelength it is very enjoyable. It is anchored by a fascinating performance by Laura Dern who is trying to change herself and the world around her after suffering a breakdown at her immoral company Abbadon due her emotional issues all coming to a head. Seeing her trying to change one bit at a time and try to navigate the obstacles is great. There is solid support cast as well, with Mike White, Diane Ladd and Luke Wilson all having stand out moments as her co-worker, mother and ex-husband repectively. In fact, the best episode of the season switches perspective from Amy to her mother to examine why she is so cut off from the rest of the world. This series is well worth checking out.

One offs
1. Wit
I seen this once before when it first debuted on the BBC. It holds up reasonably well to a rewatch but I was less impressed this time around. While Emma Thompson is still amazing as the English professor diagnosed with Stage IV ovarian cancer, but the rest of the characters- other than her college professor- just feel like they are barely characters. I don't know if this because of Nichol and Thompson's adaptadtion or because of the source play though.

It was weird seeing Knox from Angel give Emma Thompson a pelvic exam.

My Group Project's facebook page. Please like

(in reply to paul_ie86)
Post #: 73
RE: Top 100 TV/Radio Shows: 2013 - 7/1/2013 12:19:49 PM   
impqueen

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

quote:

»≠ņŐ∆ģ Ň©łģĹļł∂Ĺļ / White Christmas (08 Episodes) (KBS2) (2011)
Seven students and a teacher are left at the prestigious Susin High School in the isolated mountains of Gangwando during the Christmas vacation. The students have remained because each has received a mysterious letter. Who sent it, why was it sent and what do the sins in the letter mean? They are shortly joined by car accident victim and psychiatrist Kim Yo Han. It soon becomes apparent that the letter is far more than a simple prank°¶Are monsters created, or are humans born monsters?

Glad you got a chance to see it and impressed to see the Korean title!

quote:

Although it looks weirder when I quote it.

I like my original titles to be as accurate as possible. I really enjoyed it; I'm going to try Secret Investigation Record next.

Yes, always.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 74
RE: Top 100 TV/Radio Shows: 2013 - 7/1/2013 12:45:43 PM   
homersimpson_esq

Guess what the next series to appear on my list will be. GO ON. I DARE YOU.

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 75
RE: Top 100 TV/Radio Shows: 2013 - 7/1/2013 1:18:05 PM   
rawlinson

Strawberry Shortcake?

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 76
RE: Top 100 TV/Radio Shows: 2013 - 7/1/2013 1:19:44 PM   
MonsterCat

The Only Way Is Essex.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 77
RE: Top 100 TV/Radio Shows: 2013 - 7/1/2013 1:21:28 PM   
rawlinson

Candle Cove

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 78
RE: Top 100 TV/Radio Shows: 2013 - 7/1/2013 1:22:15 PM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

Candle Cove

Ooh this sounds nice and romantic. I think I shall just google it on my work PC.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 79
RE: Top 100 TV/Radio Shows: 2013 - 7/1/2013 1:24:53 PM   
rawlinson

What exactly do you think Candle Cove is?

Post #: 80
RE: Top 100 TV/Radio Shows: 2013 - 7/1/2013 1:25:43 PM   
MonsterCat

Babestation.

< Message edited by MonsterCat -- 7/1/2013 1:26:07 PM >

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 81
RE: Top 100 TV/Radio Shows: 2013 - 7/1/2013 1:32:12 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

Babestation.

I really want Homer to review Babestation now.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 82
RE: Top 100 TV/Radio Shows: 2013 - 7/1/2013 1:32:30 PM   
elab49

Given Hamm hasn't impressed me greatly so far I was very pleasantly surprised by The Young Doctor's Notebook, and very much enjoyed it (although Radcliffe was the better of the two the double act was very well played).

quote:

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 83
RE: Top 100 TV/Radio Shows: 2013 - 7/1/2013 1:35:52 PM   
MonsterCat

I once worked with a guy whose dad was a co-owner of the company that ran Babestation.

Hand to God, no word of a lie.

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 84
RE: Top 100 TV/Radio Shows: 2013 - 7/1/2013 1:36:33 PM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

What exactly do you think Candle Cove is?

No idea, but I know you. I'm assuming porn.

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

Babestation.

I really want Homer to review Babestation now.

"It was reminiscent of my night with Matty's mum, the filthy tease."

Bristol Bad Film Club

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 85
RE: Top 100 TV/Radio Shows: 2013 - 7/1/2013 1:38:38 PM   
elab49

Ran through

Boardwalk Empire S3
Homeland S2

Neither particularly impressed me although there were a few nice performances in Boardwalk. Michael Shannon should just quit now though, they haven't got a clue what to do with him.

Much like the writers of Homeland and season 2 of the show after they bottled out at the end of the first.

quote:

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 86
RE: Top 100 TV/Radio Shows: 2013 - 7/1/2013 1:40:17 PM   
rawlinson

NetNostalgia Forum Ė Television (local)

Skyshale033
Subject: Candle Cove local kidís show?
Does anyone remember this kidís show? It was called Candle Cove and I must have been 6 or 7. I never found reference to it anywhere so I think it was on a local station around 1971 or 1972. I lived in Ironton at the time. I donít remember which station, but I do remember it was on at a weird time, like 4:00 PM.

mike_painter65
Subject: Re: Candle Cove local kidís show?
it seems really familiar to meÖ..i grew up outside of ashland and was 9 yrs old in 72. candle coveÖwas it about pirates? i remember a pirate marionete at the mouth of a cave talking to a little girl

Skyshale033
YES! Okay Iím not crazy! I remember Pirate Percy. I was always kind of scared of him. He looked like he was built from parts of other dolls, real low-budget. His head was an old porcelain baby doll, looked like an antique that didnít belong on the body. I donít remember what station this was! I donít think it was WTSF though.

Jaren_2005
Sorry to ressurect this old thread but I know exactly what show you mean, Skyshale. I think Candle Cove ran for only a couple months in Ď71, not Ď72. I was 12 and I watched it a few times with my brother. It was channel 58, whatever station that was. My mom would let me switch to it after the news. Let me see what I remember.

It took place in Candle cove, and it was about a little girl who imagined herself to be friends with pirates. The pirate ship was called the Laughingstock, and Pirate Percy wasnít a very good pirate because he got scared too easily. And there was calliope music constantly playing. Donít remember the girlís name. Janice or Jade or something. Think it was Janice.

Skyshale033
Thank you Jaren!!! Memories flooded back when you mentioned the Laughingstock and channel 58. I remember the bow of the ship was a wooden smiling face, with the lower jaw submerged. It looked like it was swallowing the sea and it had that awful Ed Wynn voice and laugh. I especially remember how jarring it was when they switched from the wooden/plastic model, to the foam puppet version of the head that talked.

mike_painter65
ha ha i remember now too. ;) do you remember this part skyshale: ďyou haveÖto goÖINSIDE.Ē

Skyshale033
Ugh mike, I got a chill reading that. Yes I remember. Thatís what the ship always told Percy when there was a spooky place he had to go in, like a cave or a dark room where the treasure was. And the camera would push in on Laughingstockís face with each pause. YOU HAVEÖ TO GOÖ INSIDE. With his two eyes askew and that flopping foam jaw and the fishing line that opened and closed it. Ugh. It just looked so cheap and awful.

You guys remember the villain? He had a face that was just a handlebar mustache above really tall, narrow teeth.

kevin_hart
i honestly, honestly thought the villain was pirate percy. i was about 5 when this show was on. nightmare fuel.

Jaren_2005
That wasnít the villain, the puppet with the mustache. That was the villainís sidekick, Horace Horrible. He had a monocle too, but it was on top of the mustache. I used to think that meant he had only one eye.

But yeah, the villain was another marionette. The Skin-Taker. I canít believe what they let us watch back then.

kevin_hart
jesus h. christ, the skin taker. what kind of a kids show were we watching? i seriously could not look at the screen when the skin taker showed up. he just descended out of nowhere on his strings, just a dirty skeleton wearing that brown top hat and cape. and his glass eyes that were too big for his skull. christ almighty.

Skyshale033
Wasnít his top hat and cloak all sewn up crazily? Was that supposed to be childrenís skin??

mike_painter65
yeah i think so. rememer his mouth didnít open and close, his jaw just slid back and foth. i remember the little girl said ďwhy does your mouth move like thatĒ and the skin-taker didnít look at the girl but at the camera and said ďTO GRIND YOUR SKINĒ

Skyshale033
Iím so relieved that other people remember this terrible show!

I used to have this awful memory, a bad dream I had where the opening jingle ended, the show faded in from black, and all the characters were there, but the camera was just cutting to each of their faces, and they were just screaming, and the puppets and marionettes were flailing spastically, and just all screaming, screaming. The girl was just moaning and crying like she had been through hours of this. I woke up many times from that nightmare. I used to wet the bed when I had it.

kevin_hart
i donít think that was a dream. i remember that. i remember that was an episode.

Skyshale033
No no no, not possible. There was no plot or anything, I mean literally just standing in place crying and screaming for the whole show.

kevin_hart
maybe iím manufacturing the memory because you said that, but i swear to god i remember seeing what you described. they just screamed.

Jaren_2005
Oh God. Yes. The little girl, Janice, I remember seeing her shake. And the Skin-Taker screaming through his gnashing teeth, his jaw careening so wildly I thought it would come off its wire hinges. I turned it off and it was the last time I watched. I ran to tell my brother and we didnít have the courage to turn it back on.

mike_painter65
i visited my mom today at the nursing home. i asked her about when i was littel in the early 70s, when i was 8 or 9 and if she remebered a kidís show, candle cove. she said she was suprised i could remember that and i asked why, and she said ďbecause i used to think it was so strange that you said Ďiím gona go watch candle cove now momí and then you would tune the tv to static and juts watch dead air for 30 minutes. you had a big imagination with your little pirate show.Ē

Post #: 87
RE: Top 100 TV/Radio Shows: 2013 - 7/1/2013 1:42:44 PM   
impqueen

Candle Cove is a brilliant creation.

Yes, always.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 88
RE: Top 100 TV/Radio Shows: 2013 - 7/1/2013 1:42:51 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

Boardwalk Empire S3

Neither particularly impressed me although there were a few nice performances in Boardwalk. Michael Shannon should just quit now though, they haven't got a clue what to do with him.

Branching out into being an enemy of television?

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 89
RE: Top 100 TV/Radio Shows: 2013 - 7/1/2013 1:43:14 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

Candle Cove is a brilliant creation.

Yep, that 1970s t.v. station were ahead of their time.

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Top 100 TV/Radio Shows: 2013 Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI