Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Top 50 Books I've Read This Year: 2013

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> RE: Top 50 Books I've Read This Year: 2013 Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Top 50 Books I've Read This Year: 2013 - 4/11/2013 11:24:16 AM   
Professor Moriarty

I did my first real reading of the year while on holiday. It was a light bag of stuff to be chewed up next to the pool.

Inferno was the toughest read, Brown's style is the reading equivalent of nails being drawn down a chalkboard, its horrible. Langdon is a hollow character who you'd not want to have a drink with and the twists are some of the most absurd and grating I've read recently. I struggled to reach the end of this (which does have an interesting twist when you get there) 1/10

An Officer and a Spy by contrast is beautifully written, and probably Harris' best prose, but unfortunately the overall story though interesting is weak and as the character moves out of Paris the strength of the book is lost. 5/10

Solo feels like a real curate's egg of a book. William Boyd has found a voice that is Fleming-like. But it feels like the editor was on holiday when the script came in. There's a back story that Boyd should really have left in his own files as him developing an understanding of the character than putting in the pages. When you get to the end it feels like it might have been included as the final third is very light. 3/10

Diamonds are Forever isn't Fleming's strongest piece. You really get the idea that even while he was writing this Fleming was well aware that Bond is better suited to playing Baccarat in Monte Carlo than Blackjack in Vegas. 4/10

Whiteout by Ken Follett, I expected more from somehow. While not a bad book, its also not that good. Would make an interesting 2 hour ITV drama and has the feel that the author didn't invest much more time than that mapping out his ideas. 4/10

Avenger, I enjoyed Forsyth's thriller while acknowledging that its not one of his best. 6/10

Transfer of Power is Vincent Flynn's first outing for CIA operative Mitch Rapp. I was a bit tired of the concept of the White House being held hostage after two films on the same lines this year, but it works and I enjoyed the read and the detail that Flynn delivers. 7/10

Exit Music is a great example of an author completely in control of his work. You can see why Rankin wanted to bring down the curtain on Rebus, but he just does him so well. Its not the best Rebus by a long shot, but was very readable. 8/10

A Delicate Truth is another fine example of an author fully in control of his arena. Again, not the strongest le Carre, but even his weaker outings are beautifully constructed and woven. I got the impression that le Carre had a lot to say about New Labour that he didn't put on the page, but what was there was really well crafted. 7/10.

World War Z surprisingly finding that the film was better than I'd expected I turned to the source material, which is even better. Not every chapter works, but the overall idea is supremely well executed. 8/10

American Tabloid is another attempt (my 3rd?) to get through Ellroy's trilogy. This firmly remains one of my favourite books, but I just know that I'm going to get bogged down as I hit The Cold Six Thousand and wonder if I'll ever make it to the end of Blood's a Rover. 10/10

< Message edited by Professor Moriarty -- 4/11/2013 4:06:37 PM >

(in reply to Sumintelligentguy)
Post #: 91
RE: Top 50 Books I've Read This Year: 2013 - 4/11/2013 11:31:58 AM   
rick_7

quote:

ORIGINAL: Professor Moriarty

American Tabloid is another attempt (my 3rd?) to get through Ellroy's trilogy. This firmly remains one of my favourite books, but I just know that I'm going to get bogged down as I hit The Cold Six Thousand and wonder if I'll ever make it to the end of Blood's a Rover. 10/10

I liked The Cold Six Thousand, though that staccato prose style is a bit completely ridiculous, and the middle drags. Blood's a Rover was just horrible - badly written and irredeemably nasty. I struggled through a hundred pages, then gave up and sold it.

*Wendy Hiller fanboy*

Blog: DJANGO! DUMBO! DESPICABLE ME 2! Plus: other stuff.

"Nothin's really been right since Sam the Lion died."

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 92
RE: Top 50 Books I've Read This Year: 2013 - 4/11/2013 11:53:35 AM   
Professor Moriarty

quote:

ORIGINAL: rick_7

quote:

I liked The Cold Six Thousand, though that staccato prose style is a bit completely ridiculous, and the middle drags. Blood's a Rover was just horrible - badly written and irredeemably nasty. I struggled through a hundred pages, then gave up and sold it.

I have read The Cold Six Thousand, it is actually a fine book. My problem becomes tracking the timeline and large cast of characters as I move forwards. The result is a muddled mind as I enter Blood's a Rover (as I have tried to do before). Whether BaR is a good or bad book, I just get confused. This doesn't only happen to me with Ellroy, or even books, for example I'm sure that Game of Thrones is worthy TV to be lauded as much as it is, but in the 2nd season I completely lost track of who was whom and what they are doing.

I remember in one interview years ago Ellroy saying that he was waiting for Reagan to die as he was going to do a real number on him in a book. And I guess I still begrudge the fact that he hasn't delivered that yet.

(in reply to rick_7)
Post #: 93
RE: Top 50 Books I've Read This Year: 2013 - 4/11/2013 12:59:41 PM   
MOTH

I like The Cold Six Thousand too - my copy is now twice the width it was when I bought it, because i fell off a lilo into a swimming pool when reading it on holiday. True story.

Blood's a Rover is a terrible conclusion to the trilogy - unfortunately I did not have a swimming pool handy to throw it into.

I've only gone and set up a blog! This week I've been mostly reviewing The Lego Movie and Wadjda. Click: The Fast Picture Show

Post #: 94
RE: Top 50 Books I've Read This Year: 2013 - 4/11/2013 2:09:47 PM   
rick_7

quote:

ORIGINAL: MOTH

I like The Cold Six Thousand too - my copy is now twice the width it was when I bought it, because i fell off a lilo into a swimming pool when reading it on holiday. True story.

Blood's a Rover is a terrible conclusion to the trilogy - unfortunately I did not have a swimming pool handy to throw it into.

*Wendy Hiller fanboy*

(in reply to MOTH)
Post #: 95
RE: Top 50 Books I've Read This Year: 2013 - 4/11/2013 2:11:22 PM   
rick_7

quote:

I have read The Cold Six Thousand, it is actually a fine book. My problem becomes tracking the timeline and large cast of characters as I move forwards. The result is a muddled mind as I enter Blood's a Rover (as I have tried to do before). Whether BaR is a good or bad book, I just get confused. This doesn't only happen to me with Ellroy, or even books, for example I'm sure that Game of Thrones is worthy TV to be lauded as much as it is, but in the 2nd season I completely lost track of who was whom and what they are doing.

I get this with Ellroy too, to be honest. Also films like Forty Guns where all the men look exactly the same.

quote:

I remember in one interview years ago Ellroy saying that he was waiting for Reagan to die as he was going to do a real number on him in a book. And I guess I still begrudge the fact that he hasn't delivered that yet.

Sounds interesting. He is a bit of a tease, though, I wonder if we'll see it.

*Wendy Hiller fanboy*

Post #: 96
RE: Top 50 Books I've Read This Year: 2013 - 4/11/2013 2:28:37 PM   
Professor Moriarty

quote:

quote:

I get this with Ellroy too, to be honest. Also films like Forty Guns where all the men look exactly the same.

I think war films in particular can suffer. One man in a tin hat and uniform pretty much looks the same as the next. I spent long periods watching The Thin Red Line in the cinema completely unaware of who was who and what was going on. It is very well shot though

I have invested in Kindle versions of Cold5000 and BaR since writing the original thread. That may result in a better chance of finishing the trilogy. So, if I start talking in short sentences.

And kool kat one sentence paragraphs.

You'll know what I'm down with.

< Message edited by Professor Moriarty -- 4/11/2013 2:29:41 PM >

(in reply to rick_7)
Post #: 97
RE: Top 50 Books I've Read This Year: 2013 - 4/11/2013 2:35:23 PM   
rick_7

quote:

quote:

quote:

I think war films in particular can suffer. One man in a tin hat and uniform pretty much looks the same as the next. I spent long periods watching The Thin Red Line in the cinema completely unaware of who was who and what was going on. It is very well shot though

I have invested in Kindle versions of Cold5000 and BaR since writing the original thread. That may result in a better chance of finishing the trilogy. So, if I start talking in short sentences.

And kool kat one sentence paragraphs.

You'll know what I'm down with.

I read the post by the cokebird.

Handed him a motherfucking C-spot.

*Wendy Hiller fanboy*

Post #: 98
RE: Top 50 Books I've Read This Year: 2013 - 4/11/2013 2:41:45 PM   
Professor Moriarty

quote:

Handed him a motherfucking C-spot.

* If you are reading Dan Brown. More of this ^^^^ next time please *

Langdon handed him a motherfucking C-spot while walking quite quickly actually through the gates of Whipsnade Zoo and making with full haste for the panda enclosure to unravelling the clues of the Mister Men books that only Langdon's eidetic memory could symbolise.

'Whipsnade Zoo used to be called Whipsnade Wild Animal Park', mused Langdon for no reason whatsoever and making the book read like half of it was copied out of Wikipedia. "It is one of two zoos in England owned by the Zoological Society of London and is spread across 2.4 square kilometres" he observed to his companion who was busy hacking at her wrists with a rusty razor blade.

(in reply to rick_7)
Post #: 99
RE: Top 50 Books I've Read This Year: 2013 - 4/11/2013 2:50:17 PM   
rick_7

*Wendy Hiller fanboy*

Post #: 100
RE: Top 50 Books I've Read This Year: 2013 - 4/11/2013 5:16:03 PM   
Sumintelligentguy

"Snake? Snaaaake? SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE!?"

R.I.P. Punchy

(in reply to rick_7)
Post #: 101
RE: Top 50 Books I've Read This Year: 2013 - 5/11/2013 9:52:44 AM   
jonson

haha brilliant

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to rick_7)
Post #: 102
RE: Top 50 Books I've Read This Year: 2013 - 5/11/2013 10:16:28 AM   
Professor Moriarty

quote:

ORIGINAL: jonson

haha brilliant

I remembered that you put the Inferno down after a couple of pages, so I started it with great trepidation. You were right. I should have listened to you. That is 3 days lying by the pool in blazing sun drinking cocktails that I'll never get back

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 103
RE: Top 50 Books I've Read This Year: 2013 - 5/11/2013 12:25:46 PM   
Sumintelligentguy

quote:

quote:

haha brilliant

I remembered that you put the Inferno down after a couple of pages, so I started it with great trepidation. You were right. I should have listened to you. That is 3 days lying by the pool in blazing sun drinking cocktails that I'll never get back

To be fair though, the twist was actually pretty good.

Edit: On reflection, it was only pretty good in relation to the rest of the book.

< Message edited by Sumintelligentguy -- 5/11/2013 2:29:56 PM >

R.I.P. Punchy

Post #: 104
RE: Top 50 Books I've Read This Year: 2013 - 11/11/2013 11:28:42 AM   
Professor Moriarty

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sumintelligentguy

quote:

quote:

haha brilliant

To be fair though, the twist was actually pretty good.

Edit: On reflection, it was only pretty good in relation to the rest of the book.

quote:

I struggled to reach the end of this (which does have an interesting twist when you get there)

In fairness I think you are right and when I wrote a short review above, I did acknowledge that "I struggled to reach the end of this (which does have an interesting twist when you get there) ". Also, in fairness if the twist had been the world's biggest cliche, it was all a dream, it would have been good in comparison to the rest of the book. Still, I'll be watching the inevitable film when it comes out.

Post #: 105
RE: Top 50 Books I've Read This Year: 2013 - 29/11/2013 1:24:15 AM   
Sumintelligentguy

1. David Nicholls - Starter for 10
2. Mallory Blackman - Noughts and Crosses
3. Alex Garland - The Beach
4. William Golding - Lord of the Flies
5. Arthur Golden - Memoirs of a Geisha
6. Roald Dahl - The Twits
7. Nick Hornby - Haute Fidélité (High Fidelity)
8. J. M. Coetzee - Disgrace
9. Patrick Suskind - Perfume
10. Isaac Asimov - The Last Question
11. Gabriel García Márquez - Love in the Time of Cholera
12. David Foster Wallace - Infinite Jest
13. Candace Bushnell - Sex and the City
14. Nick Hornby - How To Be Good
15. Danny Wallace - Charlotte Street
16. Bret Easton Ellis - American Psycho
17. Mark Haddon - The Red House
18. Steig Larsson - The Girl Who Played With Fire (Millenium II)
19. J.D Salinger - The Catcher in the Rye
20. Khaled Hosseini - And the Mountains Echoed
21. Dan Brown - Inferno
22. Aldous Huxley - Brave New World
23. James Baldwin - Giovanni's Room
24. Helen Fielding - Bridget Jones's Diary
25. Michael Ondaatje - The English Patient
26. George Orwell - Animal Farm
27. George Orwell - Down and Out in Paris and London
28. Tina Fey - Bossypants
29. Audrey Niffenegger - The Time Traveler's Wife
30. Aravind Adiga - White Tiger
31. James Ellroy - The Black Dahlia
32. Raymond E Feist - Magician
33. Steig Larsson - The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest
34. Gabriel García Márquez - 100 Years of Solitude
35. Haruki Murakami - Kafka on the Shore
36. Helen Fielding - Bridget Jones's Diary: The Edge of Reason
37. Helen Fielding - Bridget Jones's Diary: Mad About The Boy

So I was actually reading another book (Aravind Adiga - Man In Tower) but found it so boring that half way through I stopped and started the third and (probably) final Bridget Jones book.

I have no shame in admitting it was nice to be back in her company; she's just such a likable character.

This time round, she's widowed, has two kids and after four years of grieving, she (with a little push from her friends) decides she needs to getting back on the saddle. Along the way she dates someone 21 years her junior and we follow her through the ups and downs (mainly the former) of the relationship and it's all pretty pleasant to read.

It lacks a standout moment to match the Colin Firth interview from the last book. On top of that, there weren't really any awkward moments for me to cringe at so a lot of the humour found in the previous books has had to be replaced by some humourous mishaps with Bridget's children ('Sometimes she doesn't even get out of bed in the morning') and some pretty funny efforts at sexting.

Despite the ending a little too neat, and a few missed opportunities story-wise, i'm glad that Bridget got a happy ending and it's been a pleasure getting to know her.

R.I.P. Punchy

Post #: 106
RE: Top 50 Books I've Read This Year: 2013 - 2/12/2013 4:01:52 PM   
Professor Moriarty

Rankin dusts off Rebus again in Saints of the Shadow Bible. Its quite a portentous title that in the wrong hands (ummmmm let's pick on Dan Brown for fun) would have had more trouser legs rolled up and funny handshakes than you could aim a split infinitive at. But Rankin is so in his element that he makes the simple work for him and its the characters again that fire this piece. I've not read any of his works on Malcolm Fox and the cross-over might be a good idea, but for a Rebus fan like me, Fox seems distinctly boring.

Post #: 107
RE: Top 50 Books I've Read This Year: 2013 - 31/12/2013 5:43:03 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gimli The Dwarf

Maybe I'll reach double figures this year!

Yeah, so that didn't happen.

My list...

1. A Storm Of Swords - George R.R. Martin
2. A Game Of Thrones - George R.R. Martin
3. A Clash Of Kings - George R.R. Martin
4. A Feast For Crows - George R.R. Martin
5. A Dance With Dragons - George R.R. Martin
6. The Pirates! in an Adventure with Scientists - Gideon Defoe
7. Twilight - Stephenie Meyer

The worst thing is the Ice and Fire books were all read in just two months.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 108
RE: Top 50 Books I've Read This Year: 2013 - 31/12/2013 12:23:01 PM   
impqueen

Top 10

01. Nineteen Eighty-Four (George Orwell, 1949) Dystopian Political Social Science Fiction
02. Under Milk Wood (Dylan Thomas, 1954) Play Poetry
03. Wolf Hall [Thomas Cromwell Trilogy #01] (Hilary Mantel, 2009) Historical Fiction
04. Cold Comfort Farm (Stella Gibbons, 1932) Humour
05. Red Country: The First Law World (Joe Abercrombie, 2012) Western, Fantasy, Dark, Epic
06. Decline and Fall (Evelyn Waugh, 1928) Classic Humour
07. First Love and the Diary of a Superfluous Man (Ivan Turgenev , 1850 / 1860) Novella
08. One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich (Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, 1962) Classic Russia
09. The Sheltering Sky (Paul Bowles, 1949) Post-Colonial Culture Africa Classic
10. Embassytown (China Miéville, 2011) Science Ficiton Weird Fiction Fantasy Dystopian Language

Yes, always.

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 109
RE: Top 50 Books I've Read This Year: 2013 - 2/1/2014 8:44:06 AM   
Rinc

My top ten for the year:

1. Lord of the FliesWilliam Golding (1954) 2nd read
  2. A Storm of SwordsGeorge R.R. Martin (2000)
  3. A Clash of KingsGeorge R.R. Martin (1998)
  4. A Game of ThronesGeorge R.R. Martin (1996)
  5. A Dance with DragonsGeorge R.R. Martin (2011)
  6. A Feast for CrowsGeorge R.R. Martin (2005)
  7. Keep the Aspidistra FlyingGeorge Orwell (1936)
  8. RebeccaDaphne Du Maurier (1938)
  9. Cat’s CradleKurt Vonnegut (1963)
  10. Going SoloRoald Dahl (1986)

I only read 30 books this year which is probably my poorest in quite a few years. I attribute that to being very busy at work, moving in with my girlfriend and watching quite a few TV series with said girlfriend. A big highlihght was obviously A Song of Ice and Fire which was a magnificent read. Other than that not a vintage year and I haven't read any Shakespeare since 2012 which has delayed my aim to read every single one of his plays.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:
[ color=#F1F1F1 ]text[ /color ]

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 110
RE: Top 50 Books I've Read This Year: 2013 - 10/1/2014 3:49:32 PM   
Sumintelligentguy

1. David Nicholls - Starter for 10
2. Mallory Blackman - Noughts and Crosses
3. Alex Garland - The Beach
4. William Golding - Lord of the Flies
5. Arthur Golden - Memoirs of a Geisha
6. Roald Dahl - The Twits
7. Nick Hornby - Haute Fidélité (High Fidelity)
8. J. M. Coetzee - Disgrace
9. Patrick Suskind - Perfume
10. Isaac Asimov - The Last Question
11. Gabriel García Márquez - Love in the Time of Cholera
12. David Foster Wallace - Infinite Jest
13. Candace Bushnell - Sex and the City
14. Nick Hornby - How To Be Good
15. Danny Wallace - Charlotte Street
16. Bret Easton Ellis - American Psycho
17. Mark Haddon - The Red House
18. Steig Larsson - The Girl Who Played With Fire (Millenium II)
19. J.D Salinger - The Catcher in the Rye
20. Khaled Hosseini - And the Mountains Echoed
21. Dan Brown - Inferno
22. Aldous Huxley - Brave New World
23. James Baldwin - Giovanni's Room
24. Helen Fielding - Bridget Jones's Diary
25. Michael Ondaatje - The English Patient
26. George Orwell - Animal Farm
27. George Orwell - Down and Out in Paris and London
28. Tina Fey - Bossypants
29. Audrey Niffenegger - The Time Traveler's Wife
30. Aravind Adiga - White Tiger
31. James Ellroy - The Black Dahlia
32. Raymond E Feist - Magician
33. Steig Larsson - The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest
34. Gabriel García Márquez - 100 Years of Solitude
35. Haruki Murakami - Kafka on the Shore
36. Helen Fielding - Bridget Jones's Diary: The Edge of Reason
37. Helen Fielding - Bridget Jones's Diary: Mad About The Boy
38.Carlos Ruiz Zafón - The Shadow of the Wind
39. Haruki Murakami - Sputnik Sweetheart
40. Ray Bradbury - Fahrenheit 451

I managed to get to 40 books by the skin of my teeth having finished Fahrenheit 451 on the bus to work on NYE.

The Shadow of the Wind was brilliantly written with an engaging story that kept me hooked to the end. Zafon's descriptions of how light was invading dark spaces was imaginative and incredible.

Sputnik Sweetheart was good but Kafka on the Shore resonated more with me.

Because I had to rush Fahrenheit 451, I felt like I didn't get the full effect of the novel so a reread is in order. It moved along nicely though and the central premise is pretty horrifying - especially as an avid reader.

I'm chuffed I reached my target for the year but I am definitely going to lower this year's target.

Top 3

Gabriel García Márquez - Love in the Time of Cholera
James Baldwin - Giovanni's Room
George Orwell - Down and Out in Paris and London

< Message edited by Sumintelligentguy -- 10/1/2014 3:50:59 PM >

R.I.P. Punchy

Post #: 111
RE: Top 50 Books I've Read This Year: 2013 - 17/1/2014 12:20:22 PM   
DJ Satan

So I ended up reading 21 books last year, which is the most for some time. I love my Kindle. I'm already on my third book of the year already, so I'll see if I can beat this total..

Don't try to tell me that some power can corrupt a person
You hadn't had enough to know what it's like
You're only angry cause you wish you were in my position
Now nod your head cause you know that I'm right..alright!

Post #: 112
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> RE: Top 50 Books I've Read This Year: 2013 Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI