Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Top 100 Albums I've listened to this year: 2013

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Audiophile >> RE: Top 100 Albums I've listened to this year: 2013 Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Top 100 Albums I've listened to this year: 2013 - 5/1/2013 9:40:49 PM   
ElephantBoy

2- Grimes - Halfaxa (2010) 8/10
Silky, orgasmic howls, from a unique talent. Maybe just as good Visions.
Post #: 31
RE: Top 100 Albums I've listened to this year: 2013 - 6/1/2013 12:37:15 AM   
MonsterCat

Real Estate - Days (2011; Domino)

Not a particularly innovative or challenging album, but sometimes it's nice to be cradled in the arms of a record full of simple and catchy, summery indie pop songs.

< Message edited by MonsterCat -- 6/1/2013 12:38:07 AM >

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to ElephantBoy)
Post #: 32
RE: Top 100 Albums I've listened to this year: 2013 - 7/1/2013 3:00:31 PM   
ElephantBoy

[b7 -]Brian Eno - Ambient 1 Music For Airports (1978) 6/10
I get the concerpt of this album but I just found it too dreay and protrenious at times, just think music to enjoy or Airports should be more deverse and up lifting. This felt like a lacture.

2 - Sonic Youth - Daydream Nation (1988) 9/10
The bands almost definitive take on teenage, angst, the joys of being young as well as the narcisstist nature and the pressure to be beauty. The lyrics are sharp and dreamy, and the music produced with raw and threst, with the likes of Candle, Teen Ae Riot and Hey Joni standing out as classic autherms. Total Trash and Kissbility are stunning gems also.

1 - Sonic Youth - Goo (1990) 10/10
And I have come to the conclusion that this one is even better! Their most grudgest of ablums has a really playful and charasmatic power. Dirty Boots picks up the slacker rock mentle, Mary-Christ, Kool Thing have really spike and attitude, Disappearer is the perfect melodic number to go along with all the rough edges, and Titanium Expose is played within a inch of its life, with perfect sawling riffs and restless chold changes.
Post #: 33
RE: Top 100 Albums I've listened to this year: 2013 - 11/1/2013 12:21:37 AM   
ElephantBoy

The Ex- History is What's Happening (1982) 7.5/10
Back to basics DIY punk from a Dutch band with a political edge and plenty of engery. It takes a bit of getting into, but is very enjoyable.

Beth Orton - Trailer Park (1996) 7/10
FIrst time I have listened to a Beth Orton Album, and have to say it was much more derverse than I was expecting. Tracks such She Cries Your Name and I Wish I Never Saw the Sunshine have a haunting quailty, Tangent and Galaxy of Emptiness provide nice dreamy melodies, and Live as You Dream is just a beautiful pop tune. Don't like every track but it is one I will return too for sure.

About to reach my first ten of the year and in the next week hope to get my hands on the Broadcast's soundtrack for BSS and the new Yo La Tango record.
Post #: 34
RE: Top 100 Albums I've listened to this year: 2013 - 15/1/2013 7:02:00 PM   
MonsterCat

Bill Hicks - Rant in E-Minor (Arizona Bay / Rykodisc; 1997)

Bill Hicks - Relentless (Arizona Bay / Rykodisc; 1990)

Bill Hicks - Arizona Bay (Arizona Bay / Rykodisc; 1997)

There's a some over-lapping material across these three albums, but they're still scathing and hilarious. Rant is the particular stand-out and features Hicks' legendary diatribes against a Dorito's shilling Jay Leno, Rush Limbaugh and the Waco siege. *sigh* I miss him.

Yo La Tengo - Fade (Matador; 2013)

Running at a lean 45 minutes, it's the New Jersey trio's tightest and focussed album since Summer Sun. At times some songs sound similar to cuts from previous albums, but it's still a strong piece of work from a band who couldn't make a shitty album even if they tried.

< Message edited by MonsterCat -- 15/1/2013 7:22:46 PM >

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

Post #: 35
RE: Top 100 Albums I've listened to this year: 2013 - 15/1/2013 7:39:39 PM   
ElephantBoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

Bill Hicks - Rant in E-Minor (Arizona Bay / Rykodisc; 1997)

Bill Hicks - Relentless (Arizona Bay / Rykodisc; 1990)

Bill Hicks - Arizona Bay (Arizona Bay / Rykodisc; 1997)

There's a some over-lapping material across these three albums, but they're still scathing and hilarious. Rant is the particular stand-out and features Hicks' legendary diatribes against a Dorito's shilling Jay Leno, Rush Limbaugh and the Waco siege.

Yo La Tengo - Fade (Matador; 2013)

Running at a lean 45 minutes, it's the New Jersey trio's tightest and focussed album since Summer Sun. At times some songs sound similar to cuts from previous albums, but it's still a strong piece of work from a band who couldn't make a shitty album even if they tried.

Pretty much agree with this.

8- Yo La Tengo - Fade (2013) 8/10
A nice mix of styles with the high engery punk of Paddle Forward, the bluesy melodic sound of Stupid Things and the dreamy soundscapes of Cornelia and Jane being my personal highlights.  A lovely atmosphere and beautifully spare record.

4- Stephen Malkmus & the Jicks - Mirror Traffic (2011) 9/10
The most accomplished Malkmus record maybe since his self-titled debut.  The bonkers engery and abstract lyrics of Senator reminds me of youthful Pavement, and the likes of Long Hard Book and Georgeous Georgie have plenty of soul.

10- Pavement - Slanted and Enchanted (1992) 7.5/10
One of the great debut records produced in the 90s, taking the unpredicable artrock of the Fall and giving it their own unique twist, this record includes shambolic gems such as in the Mouth A Desert, Conduct for a Sale and Frame Throwa, along side euduring classics like Here and Perfume V.  That the band went on to even better shows you how special they were.

3- The Dead Milkmen - Beelzebubba (1988) 9/10
A pure cult odditie from this absorbing punk outfit, sharply tackling the likes of Alien conspercies, sexuaity, gender bending, drug abuse, bleech and everthings else inbetween.  One of the most entertaining records I own and the music packs a punch too.

7- The Wedding Present - Bizarro (1989) 8/10
Engaging power pop, a thrilling listern.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 36
RE: Top 100 Albums I've listened to this year: 2013 - 19/1/2013 1:43:37 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

2. Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter - Henry Jackman

Only the second album I've listened to this year, but I have played The Hobbit a few dozen time so it's all good. This is a decent score but an annoyingly bitty soundtrack with at least half the tracks lasting less than two minutes. Not as good as Jackman's work on X-Men: First Class of Kick Ass.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

Post #: 37
RE: Top 100 Albums I've listened to this year: 2013 - 24/1/2013 6:32:01 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

3. Django Unchained - Various
Another mixed bag from Tarantino. I've never liked the fact the soundtracks for his films included dialogue from the film, and the same applies here. I only liked two of the original compositions for the score. Who Did That To You? and Ancora Qui by Morricone. And speaking of Morricone, his work featured on the score is as good as to be expected. The music pulled from Two Mules for Sister Sara have long been some of my favourite pieces by the composer, but Un Monumento from The Hellbenders was a discovery. In truth, the score release could have done with more Morricone. A good few pieces from the film don't make the cd. Neither do Johnny Cash or Verdi. Unforgiveable omissions.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Much more better!

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 38
RE: Top 100 Albums I've listened to this year: 2013 - 31/1/2013 6:20:41 AM   
scarface666brooksy!!

Only heard two albums thus far this year

III - Crystal Castles (2012) 1st listen

It took me ages to finally get around to listen to the third album from the Canadian duo, and after loving their first two I had hopes. Well, they delivered. They really fucking delivered. Listening to this whilst driving along a deserted highway at 4:30 A.M. was a borderline spiritual experience. I don't know if I prefer their second album to this, and there was an absence of a song as good as Not In Love or Celestica, but it's still a fantastic album in it's own right and one I'll be smashing for months.

Stand Out Tracks - Pale Flesh, Plague, Wrath Of God, Sad Eyes, Affection

Watch The Throne - The Throne (Kanye West and Jay-Z) (2011) 4th listen?

While still not the insta-classic I was hoping, I can't help but love this album anyway. Some of the beats are just incredible, and while Hov's flow hasn't aged like fine wine, the tracks that do have a camaraderie feel like Gotta Have It or the ubiquitous Otis and N**** In Paris are just superb. Lift Out is still ughh though.

Top Tracks - N**** In Paris, Gotta Have It, Otis, Who Gon Stop Me

I also listened to most of A$AP Rocky's new album and some of the songs are great. I'll eventually listen to it in full.

My Aussie Film Thread - Film #7 - Patrick (1978)

Post #: 39
RE: Top 100 Albums I've listened to this year: 2013 - 5/2/2013 4:31:05 PM   
ElephantBoy

Massive update will keep reviews brief

22 - M. Ward - Transfiguration of Vincent (2003) 8/10
Lovely brooding anti-country. Nice cover of Bowie's Lets Dance too.

8 - Django Reinhardt - L'inoubliable (1936-1946) 9/10
Dreamy and relaxing Jazz filled numbers, riviting gutiar playing and a timeless atmosphere. The best version of Georgia on my Mind I have heard.

5 - Kate Bush - The Kick Inside (1978) 9/10
One of the greatest debuts ever, stylish, heartfelt songs ranging from sling glam rock, to killer ballards, inch perfect vocal delivery. Highlights are Oh to be Loved, Kite and of course Wuthering Heights.

17 - Arcade Fire - Funeral (2005) 8/10
A very satisfying debut, displaying a good range in both genres and melodies, althrough at times the structure gets a bit repetitive, still very strong.

1 - David Bowie - Hunky Dory (1971) 10/10
One of the most accomplished set of songs ever put to record. There is a rich mix of malodrama, raw ballards, glourous glam rock, comedy and dark pop, all delivered with Bowie's timeless charasma and kneck of being a natural storyteller and icon.

9 - David Bowie - Lets Dance (1983) 9/10
A more loose disco feel to this record, still with lots of broody substance. The title track, Modern Love, China Girl and Cat People are my favourite tracks.

20 - Sonic Youth - Washing Machine (1995) 8/10
An overlooked Punk gem in their cannon I think. Little Trouble Girl is loverly too.

15 - Broadcast - Berberian Sound Studio OST (2013) 8/10

10 - The Smiths - Hatful of Hollow (1984) 8.5/10
Deverse range of early singles, b-sides and live sessions. I love the extended version of How Soon is Now as well as Reel Around the Fountain.

3 - The Smiths - The Queen is Dead (1986) 10/10
The defintive Smiths Album, truly timeless themes and songs, some of sharpest pop lyrics ever.

28 - Dutch Uncles - Out of Touch in the Wild (2013) 7/10
Solid enough, but a little repetive and flat at times.

14 - Joni Mitchell - The Hissing of Summer Lawns (1975) 8/10
Beautiful meloconic folk, with a daring style cutting stright to the heart, poetic for sure.

11 - Angelo Badalmenti - Mulholland Drive OST (2001) 8.5/10
Not his finest Lynch soundtrack, it still brilliantly take you into the mysterous world of the film, with the moody atmospheric chills of Diner, or the slick Doo Wop of I've Told Every Little Star, the heart breaking strangness of Llorando (Crying), and Dreamy blues of Pretty 50s.

19 - Ugly Duckling - Moving at Breakneck Speed (2011) 8/10
Skillfully mastered, lively hip-hop, with knock out chrous. A very entertaining record.

26 - Karen O and the Kids - Where the Wild Things Are OST (2009) 7.5/10
For the most part this captures the inventive and joyful magic of Jone's excellent movie. There are some more tender songs also which was nice to have.

< Message edited by ElephantBoy -- 5/2/2013 4:32:36 PM >

(in reply to scarface666brooksy!!)
Post #: 40
RE: Top 100 Albums I've listened to this year: 2013 - 6/2/2013 2:16:03 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

2. Les Misérables: Highlights from the Motion Picture Soundtrack - Various
A bit like the first actor you see who plays James Bond tends to be your favourite. I imagine the same applies to interpretations of musicals. watching the film of Les Mis was the first time I heard a great many of the songs and, by and large, I loved them all and it's already a kind of standard that all other versions have to reach. In this instance though, many of the songs have been bettered, with the original 1985 Cast recordings and the 10th anniversary concert (so far the only other two recordings I've delved into) both being excellent. Still, the film versions all hold up exceptionally well and worked wonders in both film and soundtrack. The main problem with the soundtrack is the fact that it contains only about half the songs and even then some are cut. Looking forward to a much bigger release.

Much more better!

Post #: 41
RE: Top 100 Albums I've listened to this year: 2013 - 11/2/2013 2:17:26 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

2. Les Miserables: Original London Cast Recording
Fantastic. It's not the entire show but has just about everything you'd want. As much as I loved the songs in the film, and I still do prefer some of the film versions, almost all on here are kind of perfect. Saying that, I like the orchestral music used in the film much better than the synths used here, and the tendency to belt out some of the songs in the musical wouldn't have necessarily worked in the film, especially in the Valjean songs. But Colm Wilkinson is truly fantastic in the lead and with the likes or Roger Allam, Patti LuPone and Alun Armstrong in support, this couldn't really fail.

Much more better!

Post #: 42
RE: Top 100 Albums I've listened to this year: 2013 - 11/2/2013 2:32:04 AM   
MonsterCat

Ducktails - The Flower Lane (Domino; 2013)

Real Estate keyboardist Matt Mondanile's side project is a curiously dull affair. It deals with the same kind of psychedelic indie pop as RE and the album has a couple of catchy tracks to its name, but it's mostly meandering, boring and bland.

Films watched in 2013

Post #: 43
RE: Top 100 Albums I've listened to this year: 2013 - 17/2/2013 5:12:50 PM   
impqueen

quote:

ORIGINAL: ElephantBoy

8 - Django Reinhardt - L'inoubliable (1936-1946) 9/10
Dreamy and relaxing Jazz filled numbers, riviting gutiar playing and a timeless atmosphere. The best version of Georgia on my Mind I have heard.

Excllent choice there, love Django Reinhardt.

Yes, always.

Post #: 44
RE: Top 100 Albums I've listened to this year: 2013 - 18/2/2013 6:42:18 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

3. Lincoln - John Williams
John Williams' 26th collaboration with Spielberg and like almost all of the previous 25, this one's a winner. I wonder if Williams is only doing Speilberg films these days? Since 2005 he's only worked on the 'Berg's films. When I saw Lincoln, the music didn't exactly leap out at me like most of William's work but I've listened to the album numerous (two dozen-ish) times since and it's a great score. With the Academy being idiots and failing to nominate Howard Shore for the Hobbit, I'd love to see this give Williams another Oscar come Sunday. A generally sombre and reverential score, it reminds me in many ways of his work for Private Ryan, but filled with some lighter comic touches especially the tracks Getting Out The Vote and The Race To The House.

< Message edited by Gimli The Dwarf -- 18/2/2013 6:43:38 AM >

Much more better!

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 45
RE: Top 100 Albums I've listened to this year: 2013 - 27/2/2013 1:36:33 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

5. Skyfall - Thomas Newman
As much as I love this score I'm still a bit surprised it got an Oscar nom. His previous 9 nominations are all for much better scores and he's done a half more that are just as good. But still, it's ace an score.

7. A Good Day To Die Hard - Marco Beltrami
At it's best when it incorporates Ode To Joy or the classic Die Hard theme but such moments are rare, just once each I think. Beltrami's an odd composer, capable of brilliance (his 3.10 To Yuma is just fantastic) but all too often his scores are fairly bland.

Much more better!

Post #: 46
RE: Top 100 Albums I've listened to this year: 2013 - 1/3/2013 1:27:36 AM   
scarface666brooksy!!

Nostalgia Ultra - Frank Ocean (2011) 5th listen

One of the greatest mixtapes ever.

Stand Out Tracks - Swim Good, Novacane, Dust, Songs For Women

Kid A - Radiohead (2000) 5th? listen (probably heaps more I forget)

One of my favourite albums of all time

Stand Out Tracks - Everything In It's Right Place, The National Anthem, Optimistic, How To Disappear Completely

Gimme Fiction - Spoon (2005) 1st listen

The winner of the last AHoF and a really great album. Surprised me at how much I liked it.

Stand Out Tracks - Sister Jack, I Summon You, The Delicate Place

Let England Shake - PJ Harvey (2011) 2nd listen

A really great album that I should love a lot more but I prefer a few of Polly's other work

Stand Out Tracks - In The Dark Places, Let England Shake, The Words That Maketh Murder

My Aussie Film Thread - Film #7 - Patrick (1978)

Post #: 47
RE: Top 100 Albums I've listened to this year: 2013 - 4/3/2013 2:13:30 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

3. Wreck-It Ralph - Henry Jackman
8-bit game themes and full-on orchestral score shouldn't really work well together but Jackman's done a great job here and it's by far his best score. The 8-bit never feels gimmicky or just there for the sake of nostalgia, and it's fairly limited use helps give it power. Only one track, Life In The Arcade, is all 8-bit and it's amazingly ace. Seriously, I can't get the tune out of my head. The first 30 seconds of Royal Raceway is best for the use of 8-bit and orchestra together. Ralph himself and the three games featured in the film all have fantastic music, there's an Elfman-esque film to the Laffy Taffies music and the whole thing is just really great fun to listen to. All it needed was the Oreo chant!

Must mention the songs too. The first 6 tracks, roughly a third of the run time, comprise of songs, some original, some not. We have Kool and the Gang's "Celebration", which is always welcome. We have Rihanna's "Shut Up And Drive" which certainly isn't welcome. Owl City's "When Can I See You Again" is, for some reason, the only original song that was eligible for Oscar glory. Suits the film but it's pretty forgettable. "Sugar Rush" comes courtesy of Japanese girl group AKB48. I've never heard of them and I've never heard any j-pop stuff before but this tracks is unbelievably catchy. The best song of all, almost the bets bit of the entire score, is "Wreck it, Wreck-It Ralph", played over the end credits and details the plot of Wreck-It Ralph the game. I love it.

Much more better!

(in reply to scarface666brooksy!!)
Post #: 48
RE: Top 100 Albums I've listened to this year: 2013 - 7/3/2013 10:14:15 AM   
AxlReznor

Now listened to 100 albums this year... here's my top 50 of those (some of them I heard after I started my top 666 thread so don't appear in that).

1) Guns N' Roses - Appetite For Destruction (1987)
2) The Dresden Dolls - The Dresden Dolls (2003)
3) Smashing Pumpkins - Mellon Collie And The Infinite Sadness (1995)
4) Nirvana - Nevermind (1991)
5) Korn - Issues (1999)
6) Temple Of The Dog - Temple Of The Dog (1991)
7) The Rolling Stones - Beggars Banquet (1968)
8) Motorhead - Ace Of Spades (1980)
9) Queen - Jazz (1978)
10) Metallica - Reload (1996)
11) Weezer - Pinkerton (1996)
12) Oasis - (What's The Story) Morning Glory? (1995)
13) Black Sabbath - Sabbath Bloody Sabbath (1973)
14) Nine Inch Nails - Pretty Hate Machine (1989)
15) Lacuna Coil - Unleashed Memories (2001)
16) Tool - Undertow (1993)
17) Green Day - 21st Century Breakdown (2009)
18) Lacuna Coil - Lacuna Coil EP (1999)
19) The Dresden Dolls - Yes, Virginia... (2006)
20) Iron Maiden - Killers (1981)
21) Pearl Jam - Backspacer (2009)
22) Lacuna Coil - Comalies (2002)
23) Puscifer - Donkey Punch The Night (2013)
24) Within Temptation - The Unforgiving (2011)
25) Bumblefoot - Uncool (2002)
26) Black Stone Cherry - Black Stone Cherry (2006)
27) Dropkick Murphys - Signed And Sealed In Blood (2013)
28) Foo Fighters - There Is Nothing Left To Lose (1999)
29) Bumblefoot - Forgotten Anthology (2003)
30) Placebo - Battle For The Sun (2009)
31) Pearl Jam - Yield (1998)
32) Green Day - !Uno! (2012)
33) Slipknot - All Hope Is Gone (2008)
34) Walking Papers - Walking Papers (2012)
35) Queens Of The Stone Age - Era Vulgaris (2007)
36) Radiohead - OK Computer (1997)
37) Death Cab For Cutie - Plans (2005)
38) PUSHERJONES - EP (2013)
39) Stereophonics - Graffiti On The Train (2013)
40) Saul Williams - Saul Williams (2004)
41) Cypress Hill - Skull & Bones (2000)
42) Green Day - !Tre! (2012)
43) Alien Crime Syndicate - XL From Coast To Coast (2002)
44) Prodigy - Invaders Must Die (2009)
45) Cypress Hill - Till Death Do Us Part (2004)
46) Avenged Sevenfold - Waking The Fallen (2003)
47) Bobot Adrenaline - Unfurled EP (2008)
48) Inside Out - No Spiritual Surrender (1990)
49) Slash featuring Myles Kennedy and The Conspirators - Apocalyptic Love (2012)
50) Them Crooked Vultures - Them Crooked Vultures (2009)

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 49
RE: Top 100 Albums I've listened to this year: 2013 - 9/3/2013 7:52:05 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

6. The Phantom Of The Opera at the Royal Albert Hall
Is the Phantom a tortured soul or a possessive, murdering psychopath who likes to play mindgames? That's a question for the ages and also for another thread.

Unlike, say, Les Mis, the romantic songs are generally pretty fantastic and actually are amongst my favourites from the musical. All I Ask Of You, Think Of Me, The Point of No return, Music Of The Night and the title song are all phenomenal. Masquerade is gloriously lavish and anything that involves the characters of Firmin, Andre or Carlotti is light-hearted brilliance. It'd be pretty hard to mess this up and thankfully the 25th celebration doesn't.

First time I've listened to this version, though the film and it's soundtrack are favourites, the original cast recording is full of win whenever Michael Crawford is about and the current touring version is all kinds of brilliance. I suppose it's the later that I'm comparing this Albert Hall recording to and, especially when it comes to the role of Christine Daaé, Katie Hall in the stage show is much better than Sierra Boggess here (I'm sure many, many would disagree). But fantastic on the whole.

< Message edited by Gimli The Dwarf -- 9/3/2013 7:54:56 AM >

Much more better!

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 50
RE: Top 100 Albums I've listened to this year: 2013 - 21/3/2013 2:18:05 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

5. Cloud Atlas - Tom Tykwer, Johnny Klimek, Reinhold Heil
Written in advance of the the film actual being shot, this is a wonderful score that really helped the film but works wonderfully on it's own. Action-oriented, when needed, a touch of comedy for the Cavendish segments, a glorious piano melody for the main theme and some truly soaring orchestral work. Excellent.

9. Salt - James Newton Howard
Good enough techno-sih score but Howard is capable of much, much more.

Much more better!

Post #: 51
RE: Top 100 Albums I've listened to this year: 2013 - 11/4/2013 2:16:47 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Nobody else updating this?

1. The Lord Of The Rings: The Fellowship Of The Ring - The Complete Recordings - Howard Shore
A new number one and I think it's safe to say that nothing at all will take its place, though there may be a few that equal it. The finest film score ever written.

Much more better!

Post #: 52
RE: Top 100 Albums I've listened to this year: 2013 - 11/4/2013 8:11:53 AM   
Rebel scum

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gimli The Dwarf

Nobody else updating this?

I am, I just never write reviews .

I have just listened to all three LOTR scores though, and they are amazeballs and scored 10, 9, 9.

"We are not safe! A dark menace rises to the east! Duckies go quack! Cows go moo! I want ice cream. Verily, will you two hobbits join my quest?"

Post #: 53
RE: Top 100 Albums I've listened to this year: 2013 - 11/4/2013 8:16:18 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

The complete ones?

Much more better!

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 54
RE: Top 100 Albums I've listened to this year: 2013 - 11/4/2013 8:45:45 AM   
Rebel scum

No, I've tried finding them but they're both rare and outrageously expensive where I've looked. The ones I listened to are just the hour-and-a-bit CD.

"We are not safe! A dark menace rises to the east! Duckies go quack! Cows go moo! I want ice cream. Verily, will you two hobbits join my quest?"

Post #: 55
RE: Top 100 Albums I've listened to this year: 2013 - 11/4/2013 10:08:49 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

If I send you my copies will you rate them all 10/10

There are playlists featuring all of them up on youtube. You must give them a go if possible. If you like the original released you're bound to love these, although the first time to listen it's odd hearing the new arrangements as compared to the shorter CDs.

< Message edited by Gimli The Dwarf -- 11/4/2013 10:10:25 AM >

Much more better!

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 56
RE: Top 100 Albums I've listened to this year: 2013 - 11/4/2013 3:52:55 PM   
Rebel scum

Done .

I didn't know they were all up on Youtube; looks like I'll be clearing some time this weekend to marathon them.

Post #: 57
RE: Top 100 Albums I've listened to this year: 2013 - 12/4/2013 1:54:25 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Enjoy!

Much more better!

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 58
RE: Top 100 Albums I've listened to this year: 2013 - 21/4/2013 1:43:07 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Reached 30 albums for the year so far.

1. The Lord Of The Rings: The Fellowship Of The Ring - The Complete Recordings - Howard Shore
2. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - Howard Shore
3. Angelus, Exodus & Krzesany - Wojciech Kilar
4. Les Miserables: Original London Cast Recording
5. Wreck-It Ralph - Henry Jackman
6. Lincoln - John Williams

7. Oz The Great and Powerful - Danny Elfman
8. Akira - Geinō Yamashirogumi
9. Cloud Atlas - Tom Tykwer, Johnny Klimek, Reinhold Heil
10. Oblivion - M83
11. Les Misérables: Highlights from the Motion Picture Soundtrack - Various
12. The Phantom Of The Opera at the Royal Albert Hall
13. Skyfall - Thomas Newman
14. Inspiration Information 3 - Mulatu Atstake & The Heliocentrics
15. Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter - Henry Jackman
16. Dredd - Paul-Leonard Morgan
17. Let England Shake - PJ Harvey
18. GI Joe: The Rise Of Cobra - Alan Silvestri

19. Salt - James Newton Howard
20. GI Joe: Retaliation - Henry Jackman
21. The Bourne Legacy - James Newton Howard
22. A Good Day To Die Hard - Marco Beltrami
23. Django Unchained - Various
24. Love: Part Two - Angels and Airwaves
25. Love: Part One - Angels and Airwaves
26. Black Gives Way To Blue - Alice In Chains
27. Mirror Traffic - Stephen Malkmus & The Jicks

28. The Soft Bulletin - The Flaming Lips
29. Daisies Of The Galaxy - Eels

30. I Thought I Was An Alien - Soko

Much more better!

Post #: 59
RE: Top 100 Albums I've listened to this year: 2013 - 18/5/2013 2:08:42 PM   
Rebel scum

I've hit 100 albums this year, so here's my top 50:

1. Moving Pictures - Rush 10/10
  2. Metropolis Part II: Scenes From A Memory - Dream Theater 10/10
  3. Doolittle - Pixies 10/10
  4. Fresh Fruit For Rotting Vegetables - Dead Kennedys 10/10 x2
  5. London Calling - The Clash 10/10
  6. Silent Hill 2 - Akira Yamaoka 10/10 x2
  7. Black Gives Way To Blue - Alice In Chains 10/10 x4
  8. The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring - Howard Shore 10/10
  9. Machine Head - Deep Purple 10/10
  10. Master Of Puppets - Metallica 10/10
  11. Rumours - Fleetwood Mac 9/10
  12. Led Zeppelin IV - Led Zeppelin 9/10
  13. Metallica - Metallica 9/10
  14. The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King - Howard Shore 9/10
  15. Greatest Hits I - Queen 9/10
  16. Parallel Lines - Blondie 9/10
  17. Images And Words - Dream Theater 9/10
  18. The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers - Howard Shore 9/10
  19. Jailbreak - Thin Lizzy 9/10
  20. Angelus, Exodus & Krzesany - Wojciech Kilar 9/10
  21. Holy Diver - Dio 9/10
  22. The Incident - Porcupine Tree 9/10
  23. Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden 9/10
  24. Fever To Tell - Yeah Yeah Yeahs 9/10
  25. Heaven And Hell - Black Sabbath 9/10
  26. Court & Spark - Joni Mitchell 9/10
  27. Gimme Fiction - Spoon 9/10
  28. Greatest Hits - Red Hot Chili Peppers 9/10
  29. Inception - Hans Zimmer 9/10
  30. Load - Metallica 9/10
  31. Mania - The Ramones 9/10
  32. Mezmerize - System Of A Down 9/10
  33. Good News For People Who Love Bad News - Modest Mouse 9/10
  34. Led Zeppelin I - Led Zeppelin 9/10
  35. The Muppets 2011 - Various 9/10
  36. Master Of Reality - Black Sabbath 9/10
  37. Why? - Alopecia 9/10
  38. Let It Be - The Beatles 9/10
  39. Daisies Of The Galaxy - Eels 9/10
  40. King Of The Delta Blues Singers - Robert Johnson 9/10
  41. On The Corner - Miles Davis 9/10
  42. Kill 'Em All - Metallica 8/10
  43. Make Yourself - Incubus 8/10
  44. Les Miserables - Film Cast 8/10 x2
  45. Henry's Dream - Nick Cave And The Bad Seeds 8/10
  46. The Immaculate Collection - Madonna 8/10
  47. III - Led Zeppelin 8/10
  48. Green River - Creedence Clearwater Revival 8/10
  49. The B-52s - The B-52s 8/10
  50. Body Talk - Robyn 8/10

(in reply to paul_ie86)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Audiophile >> RE: Top 100 Albums I've listened to this year: 2013 Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI