Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Russian and Soviet Cinema

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> World Cinema >> Russian and Soviet Cinema Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Russian and Soviet Cinema - 29/11/2012 12:46:30 AM   
Powka

Any Russian and Soviet Cinema fans? I'm a huge fanatic and seen plenty of their classical stuff, unfortunately it hasn't been great for 30 years now.

Anybody wants to share what they've seen from the Russian collection?

< Message edited by Powka -- 2/12/2012 1:57:39 AM >

Well suck me sideways!
Post #: 1
RE: Russian Cinema - 29/11/2012 4:54:42 PM   
UTB

Got any recommendations?

Not seen a great deal myself...

(in reply to Powka)
Post #: 2
RE: Russian Cinema - 29/11/2012 10:21:08 PM   
chris_scott01

I really love Shadows of Forgotten Ancestors. It's a love story told in the style of a folk tale...simple but it's the way the film looks and feels that makes it so atmospheric.

The Banishment is very good except for one silly bit of plotting that I can't remember why it ruined it but apart from that very effective thriller.

rapidite! rapidite!

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 3
RE: Russian Cinema - 30/11/2012 1:08:16 AM   
Powka

chris_scott01, if you liked Shadows of Forgotten Ancestors, you might enjoy The Outskirts too, of course if you haven't watched it already. Is The Banishment the one that premiered at Cannes in 2007? I have never seen it.

quote:

ORIGINAL: UTB
Got any recommendations?

With pleasure!

More internationally known pieces definitely worth seeing: Solaris (1972), War and Peace (1967), Andrey Rublyov (1966), Doctor Zhivago (1965), Stalker (1979)

A few of more recent ones: Brother (1997) and Brother 2 (2000), Lilya 4-Ever (2002)

Personal favorites of mine, but less known: D'Artanyan i tri mushketyora (1978) [a 3 part series, with a 4 part series sequel in 1992; best Three Musketeers films ever made as far as I'm concerned, but skip the last part of 2009], The White Sun of the Desert (1970), Semnadtsat mgnoveniy vesny (1973) [12 part series, amazing thriller/drama and probably the best film on Nazi Germany], Moscow Does Not Believe in Tears (1980), Burnt by the Sun (1994), Viy (1967)

Classical comedies of Russian cinema worth watching (although, humor is very different from English-speaking cultures, therefore one might not enjoy them as much): Operation Y and Other Shurik's Adventures (1965),
Ivan Vasilievich: Back to the Future (1973), 12 stulyev (1977), Gentlemen of Fortune (1971)
[my favorite Russian comedy], The Diamond Arm (1969)

EDIT: I also found these lists - http://uk.imdb.com/list/hIreUFA9cng/ and http://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/livejournal+russian+top+100/
For those interested it's worth skimping through. I haven't seen just a couple of those mentioned there, and must agree that almost all of those films are worth watching. Those top 40-50 I would highly recommend.

< Message edited by Powka -- 30/11/2012 2:12:55 AM >

Well suck me sideways!

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 4
RE: Russian Cinema - 30/11/2012 10:20:51 AM   
UTB

I've seen Solaris, which I liked. And I do have an unwatched Lukas Moodysson boxset so that covers Lilya-4-Ever. I'll check that link out though, thanks

(in reply to Powka)
Post #: 5
RE: Russian Cinema - 1/12/2012 8:17:10 PM   
Deviation

Is Shadow of Forgotten Ancestors Russian? I know it's Soviet, but I always took it as being Armenian. I've also seen The Color of Pomegrenates from Parajanov, sadly I was not a fan.

Following offering some more recs (Powka's are excellent, though Lilya 4-Ever is Swedish), there's also the wonderful Ballad of a Soldier, the immensely brilliant Cold Summer of 1953 (which is kinda like Carpenter doing a political film set in Siberia), Sokurov's The Sun and Russian Ark, Prisoner of the Mountains, The Return and there's also some wonderful Soviet animation to be found there, Hedgehog in the Fog is one of the most beautiful things ever.

Oh and aviod Burnt by the Sun 2 at all costs. AT ALL COSTS

EDIT: It's set around a Ukranian cultural group, so not Armenian I guess. Still, aviod Burnt by the Sun 2 AT ALL COSTS

< Message edited by Deviation -- 1/12/2012 8:23:00 PM >

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 6
RE: Russian Cinema - 2/12/2012 2:05:14 AM   
Powka

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation

Is Shadow of Forgotten Ancestors Russian? I know it's Soviet, but I always took it as being Armenian. I've also seen The Color of Pomegrenates from Parajanov, sadly I was not a fan.

Following offering some more recs (Powka's are excellent, though Lilya 4-Ever is Swedish), there's also the wonderful Ballad of a Soldier, the immensely brilliant Cold Summer of 1953 (which is kinda like Carpenter doing a political film set in Siberia), Sokurov's The Sun and Russian Ark, Prisoner of the Mountains, The Return and there's also some wonderful Soviet animation to be found there, Hedgehog in the Fog is one of the most beautiful things ever.

Oh and aviod Burnt by the Sun 2 at all costs. AT ALL COSTS

EDIT: It's set around a Ukranian cultural group, so not Armenian I guess. Still, aviod Burnt by the Sun 2 AT ALL COSTS

You are right about Shadow of Forgotten Ancestors, Soviet would be the correct description. Actually, I've changed the title of the thread to "Russian and Soviet" as a lot of those great films are Soviet, rather than Russian.

Thanks for clarifying - I always thought Liliya 4-Ever was Russian, probably because of all those Russian actors.

I couldn't agree more with you on Ballad of a Soldier and a Hedgehog in the Fog, although I doubt anyone will be able to get a hold of the latter, unless they'll be satisfied with Sonic: The Hedgehog. I don't remember seeing Cold Summer of 1953, so I will probably give this one a shot as my next Soviet film choice, thanks.

Well suck me sideways!

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 7
RE: Russian Cinema - 2/12/2012 2:28:22 PM   
Deviation

Hedgehog in the Fog is easily found on youtube, so it could simply be the easiest.

Mosfilm recently allowed their films to be shown freely on youtube as well, and Cold Summer of 1953 should be there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAYOT6MvVuU&wide=1

(an error keeps showing up whenever I click it, I hope it's just my laptop)

There's also things like Dersu Uzula.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to Powka)
Post #: 8
RE: Russian Cinema - 2/12/2012 5:11:35 PM   
garvielloken

The films of Mikhail Kalatozov are some of the finest I've ever seen. I highly recommend I Am Cuba, The Cranes are Flying and Letter Never Sent. Tarkovsky also has some outstanding films to his name - Solaris, Zerkalo, Stalker and Andrei Rublev are my favourites of his. Viy is a wonderful little horror film with a manic energy similar to The Evil Dead. Some of the effects look quaint nowadays but it's worth checking out if you can track down a copy..

Exactly six miles north of Skagg Mountain in the Valley of Pain, there lives an evil devilmonster. His name is Bingo Gas Station Motel Cheeseburger With A Side Of Aircraft Noise And You'll Be Gary Indiana.

Razzle them, dazzle them. Razzle dazzle them.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 9
RE: Russian Cinema - 26/2/2013 3:30:28 PM   
mabruzza

Hello !

Maybe you could help me..
So, I'm looking for the name of a movie I saw 10 years ago.
It is an old movie, black and white.
It is probably during the war.
I think the story begin in a church where two or three soldiers are hidden.
One one theim is the main actor, he is a little injured and quite mad. ( maybe trepanned )
A woman comes, and he fall in love.
The woman looks from south russia. ( almost mongol )
They try to communicate but the girl don't talk anymore. They go in the river, they play.
And Ennemies come.
Ennemies put fire on paintings, outdoor, that he hang at the begin of the movie.........
I don't remember more things..
If you can help me ?

Thank you sooooooo much.
All my best.

(in reply to garvielloken)
Post #: 10
RE: Russian Cinema - 9/5/2013 8:59:18 AM   
siegfried

Sadly, my knowledge and experience of Russian cinema isn't up to much. However, I do have a boxed set of Tarkovsky's films, including Andrei Rublev, Ivan's Childhood, Solaris, Stalker and Mirror.
Ballad Of A Soldier is a film which I keep coming back to - it's one of those films which seems to improve with each viewing. A beautiful, heartbreaking film, and one of the greatest anti war films of all time.
The Cranes Are Flying is also a favourite - a beautiful, lyrical film.
One of the great epics of cinema is Quiet Flows The Don, based on Mikhail Sholokhov's novel. For many years it was only available in a severely truncated version, but it's now available from Kino in the complete five and a half hour version, and is absolutely mind blowing.
I'll be looking out for some of the other films which have been mentioned so far, and which I'm not familiar with.

"Premeditated murder is one thing, but I will not have lying in this house."

Marriage is one of those things that is best gotten over with in youth - like chicken pox.

Not only is there no God, but try getting a plumber on weekends.

(in reply to mabruzza)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> World Cinema >> Russian and Soviet Cinema Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI