Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: X-Men: Days of Future Past

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Future Films >> RE: X-Men: Days of Future Past Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: X-Men: Days of Future Past - 1/12/2012 10:34:42 PM   
directorscut

I'd rather they make a quality film like First Class then obsess about continuity. Continuity hasn't made the Marvel films any better, in fact all the Avengers bollox made all those films worse.

If they nuked X-Men 3 from continuity I wouldn't bat an eyelid. In fact I'd probably toast a glass of fine wine.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to kumar)
Post #: 31
RE: X-Men: Days of Future Past - 2/12/2012 10:02:47 AM   
Gazdance

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

I'd rather they make a quality film like First Class then obsess about continuity. Continuity hasn't made the Marvel films any better, in fact all the Avengers bollox made all those films worse.

If they nuked X-Men 3 from continuity I wouldn't bat an eyelid. In fact I'd probably toast a glass of fine wine.

You can always be guaranteed to read a total load of bollocks on Empire forums, then someone comes along and says something sensible like this.

Apart from the X Men 3 bit, I liked that film even though it wasted a great opportunity.

It seems to me that there are always going to be continuity issues if you look hard enough for them, especially with long running franchises, made over decades with different creative teams. There's no need to obsess quite so much. I don't think they are meant to be viewed as one complete story, more different presentations of that fictional universe.

I enjoyed the Singer films and what he established and I thought First Class was an entertaining blockbuster. A film that brings the two together in a creative and entertaining way will be great. Who cares if it upsets the continuity of a line of dialogue?

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 32
RE: X-Men: Days of Future Past - 4/12/2012 12:13:01 PM   
Joserabal

X Man............movie series is a great series............and "X Man Days of Future Past" is an upcoming movie of this series and i think it will be better then other parts.........

(in reply to kumar)
Post #: 33
RE: X-Men: Days of Future Past - 4/12/2012 1:59:35 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gazdance

quote:

You can always be guaranteed to read a total load of bollocks on Empire forums, then someone comes along and says something sensible like this.

Apart from the X Men 3 bit, I liked that film even though it wasted a great opportunity.

It seems to me that there are always going to be continuity issues if you look hard enough for them, especially with long running franchises, made over decades with different creative teams. There's no need to obsess quite so much. I don't think they are meant to be viewed as one complete story, more different presentations of that fictional universe.

I enjoyed the Singer films and what he established and I thought First Class was an entertaining blockbuster. A film that brings the two together in a creative and entertaining way will be great. Who cares if it upsets the continuity of a line of dialogue?

It's many lines of dialogue actually and it absolutely undermines the focal relationship in the whole series (Xavier and Magneto). I'm pretty annoyed about this because I'd always considered First Class to be a reboot and I enjoyed it as such. Now that it's been confirmed as a prequel to X-Men 1 and 2 it's basically ruined the film for me because it makes absolutely no sense given what we already know. I like my continuity to make some sort of sense, what is the point of building up an in film mythology of you're just going to piss on it the first chance you get? Where does it stop? Would it be alright to retcon Star Wars and bring Vader back in the sequels for example? I mean who cares if it upsets the continuity right?

Personally I don't think that's a total load of bollocks.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to Gazdance)
Post #: 34
RE: X-Men: Days of Future Past - 4/12/2012 2:30:44 PM   
fuzzy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gazdance

quote:

what is the point of building up an in film mythology of you're just going to piss on it the first chance you get?

This. It's boils down to lazyness and director/producer ego at the end of the day. If it adds nothing by changing established continuity - why bother. First Class should have paid more attention to building the relationship they were banging on about in the trailers and the publicity leading up to it - rather than rush the whole thing just to get him in the wheelchair for the end of the film. It's lazy film making, regardless of the short production time Vaughn and Singer had. The more I think of the film, the more I think of how Episode 3 panned out and the mess they made of Annakin and Obi-Wan's 'friendship'. And just think Vaughn could get the Ep7 gig.

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 35
RE: X-Men: Days of Future Past - 11/12/2012 12:24:02 PM   
MI Cruise

What I don't get is why the X films try to shove Wolverine down our throats, he's getting his own movie next year as well and they're already talking about trying to feature him in Days of Future Past

www.letterboxd.com/micruise1/films/

(in reply to fuzzy)
Post #: 36
RE: X-Men: Days of Future Past - 12/12/2012 7:31:56 AM   
Overmind

quote:

ORIGINAL: MI Cruise

What I don't get is why the X films try to shove Wolverine down our throats, he's getting his own movie next year as well and they're already talking about trying to feature him in Days of Future Past

Thats why.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Days_of_Future_Past

"All suspects are to be considered guilty, period. Or else they wouldn't be suspects would they?" -TROOPS

(in reply to MI Cruise)
Post #: 37
RE: X-Men: Days of Future Past - 12/12/2012 1:18:18 PM   
Rumbaabaa

Whilst I agree that Wolverine has been a little too centre-stage in the some of the previous films (mainly The Last Stand), it makes perfect sense for him to be in this one.

(in reply to Overmind)
Post #: 38
RE: X-Men: Days of Future Past - 26/1/2013 11:42:36 PM   
Vadersville

Despie hating First Class, the casting of Days of Future Past has gotten me a little excited about the film. Especially since Ellen Page will now be in it too! ;) Clicky

< Message edited by Vadersville -- 26/1/2013 11:43:33 PM >

Confusion is a way of life, not a state of mind

(in reply to Rumbaabaa)
Post #: 39
RE: X-Men: Days of Future Past - 27/1/2013 12:06:42 AM   
musht

quote:

ORIGINAL: Vadersville

Despie hating First Class, the casting of Days of Future Past has gotten me a little excited about the film. Especially since Ellen Page will now be in it too! ;) Clicky

Interesting

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

"What the hell are Regionals!?"

"color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color"

(in reply to Vadersville)
Post #: 40
RE: X-Men: Days of Future Past - 28/1/2013 5:12:23 AM   
Joserabal

X-Man is a nice movie.......

(in reply to kumar)
Post #: 41
RE: X-Men: Days of Future Past - 28/1/2013 2:57:40 PM   
Cool Breeze

They are all falling back into place now.Paquins Rogue, Ashmores Iceman,and Pages Kitty are all back along with Stewart,Mckellan,and Jackman.So this is really X Men 4 and a straight up sequel to the original trilogy.Its great that most of the original cast are back.

The addition of Mcavoy and Fassbenders Xavier and Magneto does slightly concern me though.The existence of that film doesnt make sense continuity wise with the other films so its going to be interesting how they tie it all together.Maybe Singer is now well aware of that films problems and will correct them with the time travel element?

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to Joserabal)
Post #: 42
RE: X-Men: Days of Future Past - 28/1/2013 4:57:49 PM   
Rgirvan44

I suspect this film is going to erase a lot of X Men 3 out of existence....

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 43
RE: X-Men: Days of Future Past - 28/1/2013 4:58:14 PM   
kumar

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
The addition of Mcavoy and Fassbenders Xavier and Magneto does slightly concern me though.The existence of that film doesnt make sense continuity wise with the other films so its going to be interesting how they tie it all together.Maybe Singer is now well aware of that films problems and will correct them with the time travel element?

Kindof cool how so many are returning though I wonder if they are all just bit parts? Surely not as each "franchise" has big characters that shouldnt really be ignored. With the continuity stuff I think this may work better as considering FC and X1-3 as occurring in different timelines/realities? This opens up a major can of worms but its the best way to think of them I suppose.

"Darth Silas - I love Craig as Bond too. Genius. "- Jackmansgirl 15/7/2008

Last films watched:

The Road - 4/5
Chronicle - 4/5
Twilight Breaking Dawn p1 - 1/5
Warrior - 5/5
Super 8 - 5/5
Paranormal Activity 3 - 3/5
MI 4 - 2/5

Post #: 44
RE: X-Men: Days of Future Past - 28/1/2013 5:00:25 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: kumar

quote:

Kindof cool how so many are returning though I wonder if they are all just bit parts? Surely not as each "franchise" has big characters that shouldnt really be ignored. With the continuity stuff I think this may work better as considering FC and X1-3 as occurring in different timelines/realities? This opens up a major can of worms but its the best way to think of them I suppose.

Tenner says the movie ends with Fassbender and McAvoy stuck in the present day. McKellan and Stewart can leave the franchise and the series carries on.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to kumar)
Post #: 45
RE: X-Men: Days of Future Past - 28/1/2013 5:32:57 PM   
Hood_Man

Is Cyclops back?

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 46
RE: X-Men: Days of Future Past - 28/1/2013 5:40:41 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

Is Cyclops back?

Would anyone even notice if he was?

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 47
RE: X-Men: Days of Future Past - 28/1/2013 5:45:10 PM   
kumar

Also a last point, I just read the article on the homepage where Singer claims he will take into account all of the X men movies.... I wonder if he will include XMO, and even more, is he clued up of what will happen in T he Wolverine? (side note, new pic of HJ in an all black suit, blades out, looking badass!)

"Darth Silas - I love Craig as Bond too. Genius. "- Jackmansgirl 15/7/2008

Last films watched:

The Road - 4/5
Chronicle - 4/5
Twilight Breaking Dawn p1 - 1/5
Warrior - 5/5
Super 8 - 5/5
Paranormal Activity 3 - 3/5
MI 4 - 2/5

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 48
RE: X-Men: Days of Future Past - 28/1/2013 5:45:30 PM   
Hood_Man

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

quote:

Is Cyclops back?

I would

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 49
RE: X-Men: Days of Future Past - 28/1/2013 5:47:08 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: kumar

Also a last point, I just read the article on the homepage where Singer claims he will take into account all of the X men movies.... I wonder if he will include XMO, and even more, is he clued up of what will happen in T he Wolverine? (side note, new pic of HJ in an all black suit, blades out, looking badass!)

I presume he would take it into account...to an extent. Much like First Class in fact.

(in reply to kumar)
Post #: 50
RE: X-Men: Days of Future Past - 28/1/2013 6:26:40 PM   
musht

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

quote:

Is Cyclops back?

I would

Didn't he die? He was useless

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

"What the hell are Regionals!?"

"color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color"

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 51
RE: X-Men: Days of Future Past - 28/1/2013 11:03:13 PM   
Ghidorah

quote:

They are all falling back into place now.Paquins Rogue, Ashmores Iceman,and Pages Kitty are all back along with Stewart,Mckellan,and Jackman.So this is really X Men 4 and a straight up sequel to the original trilogy.Its great that most of the original cast are back.

Look like the First Class series will become it own timeline and will erase the events that take place in X-Men 1, 2 and three. So really the films go in this order.

Wolverine X-Men Origins
X- Men
X2
X-Men The Last stand
The Wolverine
X-Men first Class
X-Men Days of Future Past
X-Men follow up.

They could even reboot the series again because the timelines had change.

Post #: 52
RE: X-Men: Days of Future Past - 14/2/2013 12:03:35 PM   
Artoo

I see Peter Dinklage has been cast. My money is on him playing Modok!

Good bit of casting that, Dinklage is the man!!

Hey, get some beer and some.....cleaning products!

(in reply to Ghidorah)
Post #: 53
RE: X-Men: Days of Future Past - 14/2/2013 12:15:24 PM   
AxlReznor

quote:

ORIGINAL: Artoo

I see Peter Dinklage has been cast. My money is on him playing Modok!

Good bit of casting that, Dinklage is the man!!

I'd say Puck. Though I hope they don't bring Alpha Flight into the movies.

(in reply to Artoo)
Post #: 54
RE: X-Men: Days of Future Past - 14/2/2013 2:19:53 PM   
Vadersville

Peter Dinklage in DoFP Now I'm excited!

Confusion is a way of life, not a state of mind

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 55
RE: X-Men: Days of Future Past - 14/2/2013 3:00:38 PM   
Cool Breeze

Never heard of Peter Dinklage..

There are rumors on IGN ( I know ! ) of Halle Berrys Storm and Alan Cummings Nightcrawler also making an appearance.If this is true, this is fast becoming The Expendables of superhero films.

Also its been confirmed that its being shot in 3D.Oh joy.

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to Vadersville)
Post #: 56
RE: X-Men: Days of Future Past - 14/2/2013 3:56:47 PM   
Artoo

quote:

Never heard of Peter Dinklage..

There are rumors on IGN ( I know ! ) of Halle Berrys Storm and Alan Cummings Nightcrawler also making an appearance.If this is true, this is fast becoming The Expendables of superhero films.

Also its been confirmed that its being shot in 3D.Oh joy.

Not been watching Game of Thrones then? Shame on you!

Hey, get some beer and some.....cleaning products!

Post #: 57
RE: X-Men: Days of Future Past - 14/2/2013 5:55:49 PM   
Darth Marenghi

Pretty cool bit of casting - sadly I don't think I've actually seen him in his most celebrated roles but obviously a well-regarded actor generally, so very interested to see Dinklage in this.

Invisible Text for SPOILERS: "color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color" , then change the quotation marks to square brackets.

(in reply to Artoo)
Post #: 58
RE: X-Men: Days of Future Past - 17/2/2013 5:51:21 AM   
england_cmr

I have high hopes for this film. I've loved / liked all the X -Men films so far, even X-Men: The Last Stand which was alright. Like many others however, I was really annoyed at all the continuity errors of FC. They were just so glaring, obvious, and inexcusable. I just didn't understand how they could've been in there. I'm not even a massive fan of the series, I've only seen each of the films a handful of times, but the first thing I thought after seeing FC was 'well that doesn't make sense'. Minor continuity errors are acceptable but they were huge ones that completely undermined the story and characters. In spite of it all, FC was a fantastic film and a definite return to form, and I'm ecstatic that so many great actors are returning for the new one. I'm perhaps a little concerned that it will be a tad overcrowded? I don't want five mins of classic characters etc.

1) Inception
2) Wall - E
3) Beetlejuice
4) Big Fish
5) Terminator 2: Judgement Day
6) Spirited Away
666) Battleship

(in reply to Darth Marenghi)
Post #: 59
RE: X-Men: Days of Future Past - 17/2/2013 3:15:02 PM   
Private Hudson

I actually liked First Class better than X-Men. I also thought X2 was okay but not great and Last Stand was similar. I felt the original film was pretty short and not epic enough. Plus it really was too centred on Wolverine.

First Class was interesting as we had Xavier as the lead character for a change along with the great backstory for Magneto, which made him more sympathetic. In fact I am sure I wasn't alone in actually rooting for him! Love the bit he takes on the Nazis in the bar in South America.

I can see why people are annoyed at changes in continuity as it really smacks of laziness and surely it is more creative and challenging to work out a story around these issues rather than just taking carte blanche and overwriting it all.

I have always thought writing or creating under restraint is actually harder than have a free reign and indeed is the true test of a creative talent. Look at what JJ Abrams has done with Star Trek! An ingenious use of an alternate timeline did cheat a bit mind you!

I think the new film may be worth a watch. I hope so as I do like the X-Men series, but I still feel they could be so much better considering the source material they have and the central conceit. Plus they have a fair few characters still to be explored properly.

Watch my spoof movie of FULL METAL JACKET here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCGRWVvM-Zo&feature=plcp&context=C31ca298UDOEgsToPDskJ4_UorjolrWTaxEGMj5GO0

(in reply to england_cmr)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Future Films >> RE: X-Men: Days of Future Past Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI