Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

X-Men: Days of Future Past

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Future Films >> X-Men: Days of Future Past Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
X-Men: Days of Future Past - 27/11/2012 10:43:24 PM   
Rumbaabaa

Bryan Singer directing. McAvoy, Fassbender, Hoult, Lawrence as well as knights of the realm Stewart and McKellen all confirmed so far. I is excited! Don't mess this up Singer (by leaving the project)!
Post #: 1
RE: X-Men: Days of Future Past - 28/11/2012 1:07:40 AM   
Cool Breeze

Good to see Stewart and Mckellan back but how are they going to explain all the continuity problems with First Class?

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to Rumbaabaa)
Post #: 2
RE: X-Men: Days of Future Past - 28/11/2012 6:16:47 AM   
Overmind

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze

Good to see Stewart and Mckellan back but how are they going to explain all the continuity problems with First Class?

In the comic world coninuity is thrown out the window.
Rebooting is more the rule than the exception. So I dont care so much.
Consider them different storylines, paralell universes. Whatever :)

"All suspects are to be considered guilty, period. Or else they wouldn't be suspects would they?" -TROOPS

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 3
RE: X-Men: Days of Future Past - 28/11/2012 9:49:18 AM   
Timon

quote:

Pfff. It's only a continuity problem if you include X-Men: The Last Stand and X-Men: Origins - Wolverine.... which no-one should!

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 4
RE: X-Men: Days of Future Past - 28/11/2012 10:52:17 AM   
Vadersville

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

quote:

Pfff. It's only a continuity problem if you include X-Men: The Last Stand and X-Men: Origins - Wolverine.... which no-one should!

What about X-Men 1? Xavier saying that Jean and Scott were his first students? Or that he and Erik first met as teenagers? Or that they built Cerebo together? Or the whole plot around Magneto somehow finding a way to block Xavier's powers and Cerebo by some unknown menas which turns out to be a specially designed helmet, implied that Magneto knew how to build it because he was friends with Xavier for years (and not stolen and wore in front of Xavier in FC, where the pair were really only friends for a few weeks)?

In X-Men 2 we see Beast in human form yet in FC we see his transformation years before.

First Class was a massive disappointment which confused continuity almost as much as the dire Wolverine Origins. However, the inclusion of Stewart and McKellan has reignited my interest somewhat in this sequel...

Also imo, X-Men: The Last Stand, whilst the weakest of the original trlogy is actually not that bad and still way more fun than FC anyway.

< Message edited by Vadersville -- 28/11/2012 10:56:09 AM >

Confusion is a way of life, not a state of mind

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 5
RE: X-Men: Days of Future Past - 28/11/2012 10:57:11 AM   
Harry Tuttle

I thought First Class was great fun if viewed as a reboot. By confirming it exists in the same universe/continuity as X-Men 1 & 2 they've basically turned it into a continuity nightmare. So, yeah, Singer's first contribution to Days of Future Past is to make First Class a worse film. He's off to a great start...

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to Vadersville)
Post #: 6
RE: X-Men: Days of Future Past - 28/11/2012 11:02:37 AM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle

I thought First Class was great fun if viewed as a reboot. By confirming it exists in the same universe/continuity as X-Men 1 & 2 they've basically turned it into a continuity nightmare. So, yeah, Singer's first contribution to Days of Future Past is to make First Class a worse film. He's off to a great start...

I also quite enjoyed First Class, its way better than The Last Stand and definitely better than that abomination of a film- Wolverine.

My blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 7
RE: X-Men: Days of Future Past - 28/11/2012 11:07:32 AM   
The Hooded Man

quote:

In fairness on every step of the way Singer and Vaughan said First Class was a prequel not a reboot so this isn't exactly a surprising turn of events. I think this is actually a smart idea. By doing Days Of Future Past they can do what Abrams did with Trek and shake up the timeline freeing themselves to go in any direction for future instalments.

< Message edited by The Hooded Man -- 28/11/2012 11:09:31 AM >

Counting the minutes until the over zealous mods lock this thread too.

Post #: 8
RE: X-Men: Days of Future Past - 28/11/2012 11:19:15 AM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Hooded Man

quote:

In fairness on every step of the way Singer and Vaughan said First Class was a prequel not a reboot so this isn't exactly a surprising turn of events. I think this is actually a smart idea. By doing Days Of Future Past they can do what Abrams did with Trek and shake up the timeline freeing themselves to go in any direction for future instalments.

Yeah but I pretty much ignored that to be honest and hoped they'd come to their senses. First Class absolutely does not work as a prequel, it contradicts far too much of what was established in X-Men 1 & 2 (and 3 and Origins, they may be complete trash but they're cannon). Now that they've made it unavoidable to seperate the continuities I'm having to reappraise First Class and, well, it's a much weaker film now and I've also lost total interest in the next installment. With any luck they'll make it work though and I'll happily eat my words on release

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to The Hooded Man)
Post #: 9
RE: X-Men: Days of Future Past - 28/11/2012 1:23:49 PM   
Rumbaabaa

quote:

ORIGINAL: Vadersville

What about X-Men 1? Xavier saying that Jean and Scott were his first students? Or that he and Erik first met as teenagers? Or that they built Cerebo together? Or the whole plot around Magneto somehow finding a way to block Xavier's powers and Cerebo by some unknown menas which turns out to be a specially designed helmet, implied that Magneto knew how to build it because he was friends with Xavier for years (and not stolen and wore in front of Xavier in FC, where the pair were really only friends for a few weeks)?

Yes, Xavier says that Jean and Scott were some of his first students. He doesn't say they were the first X-Men. I took this line to refer to students he teaches as children in his school, rather than young mutants who he trains to be X-Men. The school isn't even established by the end of First Class.

He does say he met Eric when he was 17. This is a continuity error. Clearly the makers of First Class weren't going to let a single line of dialogue in X-Men restrict them when writing the plot, and they were right to do so.

Cerebro (as in the 'big round room' in Singer's films) hasn't been created by the end of First Class. There's nothing to stop Magneto helping Xavier build it in a future episode, which would make perfect sense as it's a huge construction project made from metal.

Yes, the origin of Magneto's helmet is different to what we're lead to believe in X-Men, but this doesn't make it a continuity error. Just because Xavier knows the helmet blocks his telepathy doesn't mean that he knows how it works. And when he's explaining this to Wolverine is X-Men he's clearly giving the simplest answer possible to shut Wolverine up so he can get on with searching for Rogue.

quote:

In X-Men 2 we see Beast in human form yet in FC we see his transformation years before.

Nowhere in the film does it say that the Hank McCoy on the TV is actually Beast. Yes, it was a nod to fans at the time of the film, but it could easily be another man with the same name.

< Message edited by Rumbaabaa -- 28/11/2012 1:35:09 PM >

Post #: 10
RE: X-Men: Days of Future Past - 28/11/2012 1:44:45 PM   
Vadersville

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rumbaabaa

quote:

Yes, Xavier says that Jean and Scott were some of his first students. He doesn't say they were the first X-Men. I took this line to refer to students he teaches as children in his school, rather than young mutants who he trains to be X-Men. The school isn't even established by the end of First Class.

He does say he met Eric when he was 17. This is a continuity error. Clearly the makers of First Class weren't going to let a single line of dialogue in X-Men restrict them when writing the plot, and they were right to do so.

Cerebro (as in the 'big round room' in Singer's films) hasn't been created by the end of First Class. There's nothing to stop Magneto helping Xavier build it in a future episode, which would make perfect sense as it's a huge construction project made from metal.

Yes, the origin of Magneto's helmet is different to what we're lead to believe in X-Men, but this doesn't make it a continuity error. Just because Xavier knows the helmet blocks his telepathy doesn't mean that he knows how it works. And when he's explaining this to Wolverine is X-Men he's clearly giving the simplest answer possible to shut Wolverine up so he can get on with searching for Rogue.

quote:

Nowhere in the film does it say that the Hank McCoy on the TV is actually Beast. Yes, it was a nod to fans at the time of the film, but it could easily be another man with the same name.

All of these "explanations" are truely feeble and pathethic. They're continuiy errors. You can try and dress it up and pretend that everything makes sense but clearly the timeline doesn't add up properly no matter which way you look at it.

First Class's biggest crime was its mishandling of the Erik/Xavier friendship. The previous films built up this idea of a deep brotherly bond between the two characters. Best friends who over time had been pulled apart by their opposing views but who still had a profound underlying respect and genuine care for each other. In Fc they hung out for a few months, diagreed from the get off, said some BFF lines to convince the audience they were pals and then went their seperate ways by the end of the film. They would have been better off building up the turn in the friendship and Xavier's turn to the "dark side" over three films rather than rushing it all into one.

(in reply to Rumbaabaa)
Post #: 11
RE: X-Men: Days of Future Past - 28/11/2012 1:45:12 PM   
Cool Breeze

quote:

This.

First Class has continuity problems with all the previous films.Why didn't Logan recognise Prof X in X1 and say " I thought I told you to go fuck yourself? "

And why does Prof x seem surprised that Magnetos helmet blocks telepathy in X1 given that he knows about this in First Class?

And about Magnetos Irish accent...

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

Post #: 12
RE: X-Men: Days of Future Past - 28/11/2012 1:47:58 PM   
Vadersville

quote:

quote:

This is probably the only way they can save any hope of a coherent continuity, but then we have the new Wolverine film set after X-Men 3...

Post #: 13
RE: X-Men: Days of Future Past - 28/11/2012 1:50:56 PM   
Rumbaabaa

quote:

All of these "explanations" are truely feeble and pathethic. They're continuiy errors.

Since you like errors so much, I've spotted three of 'em in these two sentences alone.

Post #: 14
RE: X-Men: Days of Future Past - 28/11/2012 1:51:29 PM   
musht

quote:

quote:

Why would they do that?

"Here's Hank McCoy! Aaaaaaaah, gotcha, it's not THE Hank McCoy just some randomer with the same name!! You should've seen the looks on your faces!"

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

"What the hell are Regionals!?"

"color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color"

(in reply to Rumbaabaa)
Post #: 15
RE: X-Men: Days of Future Past - 28/11/2012 1:53:00 PM   
Vadersville

quote:

quote:

All of these "explanations" are truely feeble and pathethic. They're continuiy errors.

Since you like errors so much, I've spotted three of 'em in these two sentences alone.

What bearing do typos have on this discussion?

(in reply to Rumbaabaa)
Post #: 16
RE: X-Men: Days of Future Past - 28/11/2012 1:58:40 PM   
Cool Breeze

Looking forward to seeing how they explain how Xavier regained the use of his legs during the late eighties but somehow lost them again in the 2000s.

Post #: 17
RE: X-Men: Days of Future Past - 28/11/2012 1:59:33 PM   
Rumbaabaa

quote:

quote:

quote:

I'm pointing out that if you can make errors creating a simple post on a discussion board, maybe you should be slightly more forgiving when pointing out minor problems with a series of very entertaining, multi-million dollar feature films that were created by the efforts of hundreds of people over several years.

Post #: 18
RE: X-Men: Days of Future Past - 28/11/2012 2:00:52 PM   
Vadersville

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I'm pointing out that if you can make errors creating a simple post on a discussion board, maybe you should be slightly more forgiving when pointing out minor problems with a series of very entertaining, multi-million dollar feature films that were created by the efforts of hundreds of people over several years.

(in reply to Rumbaabaa)
Post #: 19
RE: X-Men: Days of Future Past - 28/11/2012 2:41:18 PM   
Nexus Wookie

Fuck the continuity errors - just give me a solid X Men film for Jovis' sake. The last few were not up to scratch (like i said First Class was enjoyable regardless of the continuity cock-ups, the others were shite). The fact Bryan Singer is on board, as well as the two veteran acting legends does give me some semblance of hope.

Post #: 20
RE: X-Men: Days of Future Past - 28/11/2012 3:31:36 PM   
The Hooded Man

Vaughan said that he was aware there would be continuity errors but his goal was to make the best possible way he could, with the best possible story. To be honest nobody but internet fanboy saddos worry about these things anyway. Did anybody crack up about Star Trek referring to James T Kirk when it was made v clear in Where No Man Has Gone Before that his name was James R Kirk? Did Casino Royale or subsequent Bond films suffer because Judi Dench was a new M in Goldeneye but yet in Casino Royale she was M before Bond became a 00 agent?

Counting the minutes until the over zealous mods lock this thread too.

(in reply to Nexus Wookie)
Post #: 21
RE: X-Men: Days of Future Past - 28/11/2012 3:38:12 PM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

Vaughan said that he was aware there would be continuity errors but his goal was to make the best possible way he could, with the best possible story. To be honest nobody but internet fanboy saddos worry about these things anyway. Did anybody crack up about Star Trek referring to James T Kirk when it was made v clear in Where No Man Has Gone Before that his name was James R Kirk? Did Casino Royale or subsequent Bond films suffer because Judi Dench was a new M in Goldeneye but yet in Casino Royale she was M before Bond became a 00 agent?

The answer to that is a big resounding NO. And like you stated mate, i'm certain Singer will be more concerned about making a solid film. On the evidence of his last two X-Men films i must say i'm really looking forward to it.

Post #: 22
RE: X-Men: Days of Future Past - 28/11/2012 7:42:15 PM   
Cool Breeze

quote:

Easy now Pot, no need to call the kettles black

He went into First Class saying it was a prequel.There were too many continuity errors for it to be considered a decent one.In other words he didnt pay attention to the other Xmen movies ( if he bothered to watch them at all ).Why didnt they just consider it a reboot if they were going to make so many changes to established history in the othe X movies? Why not make the best possible movie while paying attention to continuity? He was too lazy to even tell Fassbender that his accent was slipping in different scenes.

Even as a standalone flick, First Class has problems.If they are using time travel in the next film,its an opportunity to explain away the errors but i feel Singer hasnt learned from the colossal screw up of his Superman rehash and is just picking and choosing what parts of established X history to consider canon.

As for the James R. Kirk thing,That was explained away in a novel as a nickname Mitchell had for Kirk and Roddenberry once joked '' Mitchell may have been a god,but he was fallible! ''.As for Dench in Casino Royale,that was a reboot and Dench was playing a different M from previous films (though it did confuse some people and why the heck am i defending a Craig Bond flick? )

Bottom line: There are minor continuity issues and then there are MAJOR ones like First Class where you cannot take the film seriously.Singer take note.

Post #: 23
RE: X-Men: Days of Future Past - 28/11/2012 7:50:46 PM   
rich

quote:

quote:

Honestly I just want another fun movie. X-Men and X2 belong to another decade, they won't go back and redo that kind of thing now. Seeing as what followed was awful all I can hope for is a mid ground type movie, not interested in continuity now. It is worrying they decided to get McKellen and Stewart back - it seems like an odd thing to do after this much time... guess we will find out exactly how much they're involved later.

Meanwhile...

(in reply to Rumbaabaa)
Post #: 24
RE: X-Men: Days of Future Past - 28/11/2012 9:02:56 PM   
Vadersville

quote:

My mum can't even turn a computer on and she picked up on the fact that FC messed up with the plot of X-Men 1. Also, the two you mentioned were reboots (even though Star Trek, cleverly found a way to incoporate the existing continuity), FC was supposed to be a prequel set in the same timeline as the original films.

Post #: 25
RE: X-Men: Days of Future Past - 28/11/2012 9:49:40 PM   
Cool Breeze

quote:

quote:

My mum can't even turn a computer on and she picked up on the fact that FC messed up with the plot of X-Men 1. Also, the two you mentioned were reboots (even though Star Trek, cleverly found a way to incoporate the existing continuity), FC was supposed to be a prequel set in the same timeline as the original films.

Agree with everything you said there Vadersville.Everyone iv ever talked to about FC always mentions the continuity problems ( The Xavier losing the use of his legs in the 60s while clearly shown walking and being pally with Magnet during the 80s in Last Stand being the most obvious one ).I remember reading an article not long after FC was released that Vaughn rather weakly conceded that the film '' is a mixture of prequel and reboot ''.Now Singer is saying that it was indeed a prequel! No one here knows what they are doing.They should have just done a straight reboot and saved themselves a lot of trouble!

Id like a fun movie but i dont see why they have to trample over the continuity of everything they have done since to do it.The only way i see the new movie fixing this is if they have a villain who has somehow messed up the timeline ( lIke Nero did in Star Trek ).

Post #: 26
RE: X-Men: Days of Future Past - 28/11/2012 11:33:05 PM   
Darth Marenghi

quote:

First Class's biggest crime was its mishandling of the Erik/Xavier friendship. The previous films built up this idea of a deep brotherly bond between the two characters. Best friends who over time had been pulled apart by their opposing views but who still had a profound underlying respect and genuine care for each other. In Fc they hung out for a few months, diagreed from the get off, said some BFF lines to convince the audience they were pals and then went their seperate ways by the end of the film. They would have been better off building up the turn in the friendship and Xavier's turn to the "dark side" over three films rather than rushing it all into one.

Very much agree with this - the main thing I liked about First Class was that the Charles/Erik X-Team were just really enjoyable to watch onscreen. I'd have loved to have seen a 60s trilogy of films with that team. I'm looking forward to Days of Future Past, although given that Singer's a Star Trek fan - it kind of feels a bit like X-Men: Generations at this point.

Invisible Text for SPOILERS: "color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color" , then change the quotation marks to square brackets.

Post #: 27
RE: X-Men: Days of Future Past - 1/12/2012 1:22:13 AM   
fuzzy

The continuity fuck ups are a major thing for me personally, but that's just because I like films that say they're a prequel to act as such. The major problem with First class was the pre-production, one minute it was X-Men 4, then a Magneto origin, then when they couldn't sort out either they made the rushed continuity mess that was First Class. A fine blockbuster to entertain for a couple of hours - but a wasted opportunity for an X-Men prequel. Singer and Vaughn came on board to save the day and get the film made - they wanted a reboot but the producers had characters set in stone, so what we got was a prequel with minor X-Men that ignored what had gone before to varying degrees. If Fox stuck to a plan from the outset, it couldn't been so much better. It's shame Fox didn't get Mark Millar on board sooner - as creative consultant to everything Marvel over at Fox now (mirroring Whedon over at Marvel I guess), I assume he's going to make sure things start fitting together - too late for First Class, but maybe he'll try and undo some stuff with Days of Future Past.

< Message edited by fuzzy -- 1/12/2012 1:23:25 AM >

(in reply to Rumbaabaa)
Post #: 28
RE: X-Men: Days of Future Past - 1/12/2012 9:53:34 AM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

ORIGINAL: fuzzy

The continuity fuck ups are a major thing for me personally, but that's just because I like films that say they're a prequel to act as such. The major problem with First class was the pre-production, one minute it was X-Men 4, then a Magneto origin, then when they couldn't sort out either they made the rushed continuity mess that was First Class. A fine blockbuster to entertain for a couple of hours - but a wasted opportunity for an X-Men prequel. Singer and Vaughn came on board to save the day and get the film made - they wanted a reboot but the producers had characters set in stone, so what we got was a prequel with minor X-Men that ignored what had gone before to varying degrees. If Fox stuck to a plan from the outset, it couldn't been so much better. It's shame Fox didn't get Mark Millar on board sooner - as creative consultant to everything Marvel over at Fox now (mirroring Whedon over at Marvel I guess), I assume he's going to make sure things start fitting together - too late for First Class, but maybe he'll try and undo some stuff with Days of Future Past.

lol.
He'll fit in with the rest of the Hacks in the movie business.

(in reply to fuzzy)
Post #: 29
RE: X-Men: Days of Future Past - 1/12/2012 10:22:35 PM   
kumar

Its quite interesting to see three major players back. Singer will have to pull off something majorly special for me to overlook the glaring inconsistencies though. Its a shame Fox managed to fuck up this series so badly.

"Darth Silas - I love Craig as Bond too. Genius. "- Jackmansgirl 15/7/2008

Last films watched:

The Road - 4/5
Chronicle - 4/5
Twilight Breaking Dawn p1 - 1/5
Warrior - 5/5
Super 8 - 5/5
Paranormal Activity 3 - 3/5
MI 4 - 2/5

(in reply to OPEN YOUR EYES)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Future Films >> X-Men: Days of Future Past Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI