Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

A Bullet-Proof Film

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> A Bullet-Proof Film Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 5 [6]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
A Bullet-Proof Film - 24/7/2008 4:39:18 AM   
cafedito

Probably the last thing we'll possess before dying, it's an idea. The idea that everything we did in our lives was worthy. That was right. That was the best we could do. That we lived without fear to those who rule us. That we lived with the certainty of being good patriots. That we die believing that our lives meant something. Right or wrong. But something. Something worthy of dying with dignity.
Greetings from Chile.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 151
V for Vendetta - 2/8/2008 9:57:02 AM   
Blue Ryan

Empire hit the nail on the spot with this review. A very good adaptation of the comic with a brilliant performance from Hugo Weaving.

Post #: 152
- 3/12/2008 12:03:04 PM   
PureAinmhi

Good film and highly enjoyable to watch for the action but the dialogue at times for me is often annoying and at times extremely pretentious.

When writing a script you should really take into account that not everybody who is eventually going to see this film is not going to be as intelligent or pretentious as you so save your scripts for a David Lynch film and give the public some understanding.

Apart from all of this irritating and at times needless dialogue V For Vendetta is an amazing spectacle to watch. Hugo Weaving is very good and his acting is superb.

A lot of the visual effects are epic at times.

Well worth watching even if you can't understand the irritating dialogue in the opening few minutes or so.

Post #: 153
Brilliant - 21/12/2008 9:00:45 PM   
Rulezdaworld0

Without a doubt one of the best films I have ever seen. It has a great (gunpowder) plot and characters that you can relate to. I really found myself being sucked in.
can't beleive it took me this long to see it. Hugo Weaving should play more anti-heros

Post #: 154
Brilliant - 21/12/2008 9:01:03 PM   
Rulezdaworld0

Without a doubt one of the best films I have ever seen. It has a great (gunpowder) plot and characters that you can relate to. I really found myself being sucked in.
can't beleive it took me this long to see it. Hugo Weaving should play more anti-heros

Post #: 155
V for vendetta - 28/12/2008 4:28:09 PM   
Blue Ryan

An outstanding film fom the Wachoswki brothers and a mesmirising performance from hugo weaving. The ontroversial and philisophical ideas it explores are incredible making me want to watch it over and over again. The action set-pieces are (in true wachowski form) brilliant and the ending is perfectly handled. I strongly recommend this film

Post #: 156
Brilliant, can't get enough of it. - 14/1/2009 12:09:38 AM   
RandyChimp

It was on over christmas, BBC 2 I believe, on the 22nd. I was hooked, and when january sales came around, i shot straight up to the shops and bought the dvd and graphic novel. Great story, compelling characters, slightly irritating natalie portman, but other than that, marvellous.

Post #: 157
One of my favourite movies - 17/2/2009 6:28:00 PM   
GavMan94

Ultra-cool but it dosen't go over the top, V is a amazing character even if he is killing people and destroying buildings. this film is terrific it pulls no punches from the terrific speeches to the slow-mo action sequences this film shows how when the American's and the British join together they can make a cracker of a movie. Superb.

Post #: 158
RE: One of my favourite movies - 10/7/2009 10:59:59 PM   
BishopQuaker

I've just watched V for Vendetta and it seemed daft to make a new thread when there was one already here so I'm sorry for bringing this back up to the top when there's all the new films but I thought I'd add my 2 cents as it were.

John Hurt - Brilliant
Hugo Weaving - Brilliant
and I can't quite believe I'm saying this but even Natalie Portman was good!

Alan Moore - Give him an OBE or something!
Excellent use of the word "Bollocks" throughout.

In fact I'm almost inclined to say that V for Vendetta has made its way into my shortlist of favourite films.

I'm going to watch Watchmen this weekend which by all accounts is going to further my belief that Alan Moore is a genius.

(in reply to GavMan94)
Post #: 159
RE: One of my favourite movies - 13/7/2009 2:11:43 PM   
Ghost Mutt

quote:

ORIGINAL: BishopQuaker

I've just watched V for Vendetta and it seemed daft to make a new thread when there was one already here so I'm sorry for bringing this back up to the top when there's all the new films but I thought I'd add my 2 cents as it were.

John Hurt - Brilliant
Hugo Weaving - Brilliant
and I can't quite believe I'm saying this but even Natalie Portman was good!

Alan Moore - Give him an OBE or something!
Excellent use of the word "Bollocks" throughout.

In fact I'm almost inclined to say that V for Vendetta has made its way into my shortlist of favourite films.

I'm going to watch Watchmen this weekend which by all accounts is going to further my belief that Alan Moore is a genius.

I concur! Easily one of my favourite films, especially love the Stephen Fry cameo. Although he is simply playing himself. That said, what a film.

Picking my scabs.

(in reply to BishopQuaker)
Post #: 160
RE: One of my favourite movies - 13/7/2009 2:55:02 PM   
hatebox

Good, but messy. I know they had to have the detectives sub plot to act as exposition for the histories of Evi and V but the constant back and forth between the two sets of characters became quite jarring as the film progressed.

Still, a daring blockbuster nonetheless.

(in reply to Ghost Mutt)
Post #: 161
RE: One of my favourite movies - 13/7/2009 7:32:00 PM   
BishopQuaker

My Alan Moore-a-thon was cut short due to my mate coming over on Saturday and us getting rather trollied.

I shall watch Watchmen as soon as I can!

(in reply to hatebox)
Post #: 162
V For Vendetta - 3/8/2010 2:57:50 PM   
ingloriouslanda

The Wachowski arent the greatest production team on the Planet, the two matrix sequels and speed racer proves that, but when there productions work they create spectacles. Being a fan of Alan Moore and after being left somewhat pissed off about LXG, I often claimed that From Hell would be the only adaptation that would be as close to decent, then V appeared like a flourishing rage and once again i found myself enthralled by the charismatic and mysterious masked vigilante that inspired mass anarchy. Many plot points were changed from the GN and tbh it made the plot all the more understandable, having only been 13 at the time of reading it, I saw the Portman's ropey english accent the only downside to the film, Stephen Rea's Finch is a fantastic portrayal of a character torn between catching a vigilante and unravelling the darkest secret of his government, the star though is more than obvious, Hugo Weaving excels as V, playing him exactly as I saw him from the pages of Alan Moore doing what many have never been able putting a soul into a masked face. 5/5 and much much better than Snyder's horrible adaptation of Moore's Magnum Opus Watchmen.

Post #: 163
V for Vendetta is Great! - 23/3/2011 8:12:23 PM   
bubbagump9

Weaving is brilliant as V. Portman also, giving one of the best performances in her career. V is a excellent, well-written character full of wit and smart Shakespearian-like language. The story flows well and is full of great action set pieces. 5 stars! For some reason I associate this film with the equally great Frank Miller's Sin City because I saw them around the same sort of time, and they both are 2 of the greatest films of the 21st century!

< Message edited by bubbagump9 -- 23/3/2011 8:16:15 PM >

Post #: 164
Better Each Time I See It - 5/5/2011 5:15:55 PM   
Turd Ferguson

One of those movies that I could watch over and over again and it somehow manages to get better every time. The message is definitely in your face, but it should be. Weaving is incredible, as is Portman.

Post #: 165
RE: Better Each Time I See It - 24/3/2013 7:02:32 AM   
Phubbs

V for Vendetta (2005)

There's a definite Guy Fawkes motive running through this film isn't there, didn't notice at first (yes I'm being sarcastic). kind of a kinky dressing up as Guy Fawkes fetish thing going on. The plot is strange for sure, set in the future of the 2030's, its all about a totalitarian run UK and a certain freedom fighter (with the noted Guy Fawkes fetish) who uses the old 16th Century attempted terrorist act as his main influence for his own terror attacks...of freedom.

A curious blend of fascism set against anarchy with an all American style matinée serial/pulp magazine hero in the middle. What I have always found weird about this graphic novel creation is the obsession with Guy Fawkes. I understand the notion of using the terrorist act of blowing up Parliament as brilliant symbol/sign of rebellion against the dictatorship that governs this universes UK, but why the need to dress up like Guy Fawkes complete with silly period wig and quaint facial mask?. Why would someone in the 2030's idolise and copy a 16th Century criminal, despite his treasonous act which isn't actually much to celebrate really.

Anyway I can't deny that Weaving's smooth charismatic tones were prefect for the voice of 'V'. He played the character in full as we know but his polite charming well spoken mannerisms really sold the whole anti hero character and gave him this endearing Errol Flynn like persona. Its quite strange to actually think that he was rather dashing even though his face is hidden behind that mask, you tend to forget he's wearing a mask really, its a good looking mask.

The less said about Portman the better frankly, she is becoming more and more annoying as she grows older. She spends the whole time in this film looking distraught with her mouth hanging open and gasping for air! its quite infuriating.

Who better to use for the fascist regime leader than the main lead for the film adaptation of the Orwell novel 'Nineteen Eighty-Four', John Hurt. Hurt's performance is pretty much limited to simply being on a large TV screen/monitor, but the way he barks out orders in a menacing torrent to his subordinates is really a joy to watch. In fact the whole design and look of the fascist party is really well done with clear references/influences from history in certain scenes of addressing the nation. Black and red are the strong piercing colours of the 'Norsefire party', cliched but effective, much like their whole exterior appearance really but lets not forget this is a graphic novel adaptation where visuals are everything.

Its visuals that do bring this film to life like many other similar films. The dark grey tones, dark alleyways, dark rooftops, the darkly cloaked anti hero, shadows galore and the much required dark anti hero logo that will eventually Adorn most badly lit vicinities. In short this is very much your Batman type affair accept it has a more simple minimalistic feel or approach, remember its set in merry old England and not a forest of gothic skyscrapers. The visuals can be striking at times but oddly basic at others, almost verging on TV movie standards.

A clever film where the main (anti) hero is more a symbol of the people, the movement and less of an individual person with fancy fighting moves. The fact they managed to resist showing the face beneath the mask is amazing frankly, seeing as they couldn't resist the old slow motion martial arts stuff (you can see The Wachowski Brothers were here)...but that might be in the graphic novel, I haven't seen it. Its all here with this film, totalitarian fears, media cover ups, secret police, total anarchy, genocide, dictators, torture and the destruction of our beloved Big Ben and Palace of Westminster, oh the sacrilege!.

I also liked the lesbian/gay sub plot in the film set within the fascist regime. Now I'm guessing this is in the graphic novel as its a brave move to be so bold with this kind of content (but this is a UK film, and the UK is brutally PC). The whole idea works perfectly against the extremist policies of the 'Norsefire party' and really brings fresh emotions to the surface, clearly using the realities of Nazi acts during WWII.

I enjoyed the fighting sequences and I liked the masked avenger known as 'V'. The film is heavily cliched but has many undertones which can be looked at in different ways. Unsure how accurate it is to the original source material seeing as Moore didn't like it but none the less its a thoroughly fun action film that boarders on operatic at times!. Still don't really see the need for the the Guy Fawkes motive though, other than it simply looks kinda cool and original.

Final note, why can't henchmen ever understand that maybe shooting the hero in the face might be more effective.

(in reply to Turd Ferguson)
Post #: 166
RE: Better Each Time I See It - 24/3/2013 2:01:01 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phubbs

V for Vendetta (2005)
Why would someone in the 2030's idolise and copy a 16th Century criminal, despite his treasonous act which isn't actually much to celebrate really.

I think the film lost the point on that issue as in the book you don't idolize him,well I didn't and Moore certainly didn't when writing him ie he just created a flamboyant,troubled,exaggeration of a character.
V and Big Brother are the books two main villains imo and the true hero of the book is Eric Finch,who in the end rightfully kills V.

Though its one of the slightly better Moore adaptions,while something like From Hell is an absolute disgrace of a movie in comparison to its source material and The Watchmen film did nothing for me.

< Message edited by OPEN YOUR EYES -- 24/3/2013 3:32:07 PM >

(in reply to Phubbs)
Post #: 167
RE: Better Each Time I See It - 24/3/2013 4:22:51 PM   
Phubbs

^ I see your point, in the film it does seem like 'V' is just trying to be Guy Fawkes and complete what he failed to do along time ago. Plus he is made out to be a very likeable character.

< Message edited by Phubbs -- 24/3/2013 4:24:10 PM >

(in reply to OPEN YOUR EYES)
Post #: 168
RE: Better Each Time I See It - 24/3/2013 4:55:15 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

^ I see your point, in the film it does seem like 'V' is just trying to be Guy Fawkes and complete what he failed to do along time ago. Plus he is made out to be a very likeable character.

I havent seen the film in a long,long time but I remember being alittle perplexed by it.
In the Book V,though in the same way he's presented in the film,comes across as someone likeable but there is still pure willingness to kill ,to shake things up and to make things right in his viewpoint.His viewpoint ,though distorted with the hate he's up against, is true on a positive outlook on life.To a degree.
But Moore rightly makes the reader know that just because he's the books main protagonist it shouldn't give him the right to willfully kill his way to his accomplishment/targets.From what I remember I dont think the film set-out to totally show that side of the coin.
People,in a somewhat shallow way,look at V in a very "cool" light which is a huge step away from the book as it can possibly get ie those protesters in London a few years back wearing the V masks did make me feel somewhat embarrassed on there part because,at the heart of it,V was a murderous terrorist.

Its one of the reasons I get anal over adaptions.I sometimes think Directors either miss the point of a certain source material or would look to mingle in there own affairs,sometimes it works other times it doesn't,but the bad adaptions far out weigh the good imo in the past few years.

< Message edited by OPEN YOUR EYES -- 25/3/2013 10:12:17 AM >

(in reply to Phubbs)
Post #: 169
RE: Better Each Time I See It - 25/3/2013 4:13:49 AM   
Phubbs

Just about money if you ask me matey, they don't wanna make the main character a murderous terrorist with nothing the audience can get behind, it might be accurate to the source material but it won't go down well with the mass audience. I doubt the book has all the fancy ass fighting either?

(in reply to OPEN YOUR EYES)
Post #: 170
RE: Better Each Time I See It - 25/3/2013 9:47:19 AM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

Just about money if you ask me matey, they don't wanna make the main character a murderous terrorist with nothing the audience can get behind, it might be accurate to the source material but it won't go down well with the mass audience. I doubt the book has all the fancy ass fighting either?

It does and it doesn't
It has fighting but its written and drawn in a much slower paced concept.
As with most of Moores action sequences he relies more on the facial fear expressions of the characters than that of over the top swashbuckling action.David Lloyds artwork on V for Vendetta is intimidating and very 'up close and personal' in its inception in that regard.

But,to be honest, I can understand why the film went down that route because it fitted well into what James McTeigue/Wachowskis's were re-creating but had they went down the sole route of being 100% accurate with there adaption then it may have seemed slightly odd.
But I tend to think what Moores and Lloyds work on V portrays is the brilliant effects you can do in comics that you might not be able to portray well in Movies.

< Message edited by OPEN YOUR EYES -- 25/3/2013 10:16:30 AM >

(in reply to Phubbs)
Post #: 171
Not realy faightfull to the comic, but manages to be re... - 9/4/2013 9:25:25 PM   
Ralph25

V of Vendetta is the big return to the Wachowski brothers to cinema, and to their screenplay skills. Both take on the old graphic novel of "V of Vendetta" and put on the big screen, with some differences from the graphic novel V but the message is the same.
The main difference is that the graphic novel we did not know if the character "V" was good or bad, in this film it clear that he fights for justice and ideals, but does not spoil anything. The film focuses the same attention as has the graphic novel, which is the V character's fight against an future totalitarian society, with that philosophical touch that the Wachowski brothers can do. A film full of action and to exciting moments. And the cast could not be better.
Hugo Weaving is this sinister character "V", and even wearing a mask, his voice for the character is magnificent; Natalie Portman is superb as always, it is the ally who ends up having V, where her life changes completely.
With great acting, great action, and fantastic technical wizardry, it sounds just like another "Matrix"-style ripoff. But the biggest difference in "V" Is that it is a story of real ideas - not a fantastic, science fiction creation, but a genuine examination of the human condition. The power of fear takes center stage here - the fear of war, of disease, of famine. Fear is a basic human nature, and Has Been Exploited as a weapon - a method of control - for centuries. And For those who would use it, the masked man waits in the shadows to carry out your sentence. The verdict? Vengeance. "V for Vendetta" is a must-see movie to all audience!

Post #: 172
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 4 5 [6]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> A Bullet-Proof Film Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 5 [6]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI