Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: V For Vendetta

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: V For Vendetta Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 [5] 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: V For Vendetta - 29/9/2006 4:43:43 PM   
Johnny Pneumonia

quote:

ORIGINAL: carmencat6

All adaptations have to changed. I think it's silly going into a film adaptation and hoping it will be exactly like the original format, of course unless it's HP where the directors have hardly any leeway. 

There's a big difference between adapting a text so it fits a different format and altering the message of the text so it doesn't resemble the original point at all. What actually bugs me far more than the major dumbing down and twisting of the comic's message is all the missed opportunities drama and action-wise - there are so many great sequences that you can imagine so clearly when you read it, and hardly any of them made it in at all, let alone were adapted well. Out of interest carmen, are you a fan of the comic yourself?

'Kate Winslet there...talking dirty...to, uh, Anne Frank and Joseph Goebbels...'

(in reply to carmencat6)
Post #: 121
RE: RE: - 30/9/2006 6:33:41 PM   
carmencat6

Totally agree with you jobloffski.

(in reply to jobloffski)
Post #: 122
RE: RE: - 30/9/2006 6:35:36 PM   
carmencat6

I have briefly read bits of the comic and I found it too raw, if that makes sense. I think the film was designed to appeal to a larger audience rather than just the ppl who liked the comic. So it things had to change.

(in reply to carmencat6)
Post #: 123
WOW - 24/10/2006 11:49:54 AM   
cerberous

I thought this film would just be an alright film with some good plots and fights. I found this film absolutely brilliant. The fight at the end is amazing.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 124
V for Vendetta - 27/11/2006 10:52:27 PM   
qualidad

Some good, some bad. Portman was excellent, no problems with the accent for me but it wasn't exactly subtle and far too long. Nice try.

Post #: 125
V for Vendetta - 8/12/2006 9:54:42 AM   
sithlord101

The most challenging film i have seen in a long time. Great to see Hollywood not afraid to challenge the society we are living in and give a taste of what may have been and may still be. Absolutely superb, great script and wonderful design. Really pleased to see the Wachowski brothers back and creating on screen some amazing work from the original novel. Can't criticise it at all, just loved it.

Post #: 126
V for Vendetta - 21/12/2006 9:19:11 PM   
solid snake

Exellent graphic novel adaptation. One of the best things about this is that it is filled with things that have happend or could happen today. The Nazi style death camp and Nazi like poolitical party. I do truly understand why this was delayed. The best bit is the fight scene in the abandoned underground station. However what i dont undestand at the end is when you see Stephen Fry and that geaky looking girl at the end even though they are dead.

Post #: 127
- 30/12/2006 9:14:11 PM   
stuieboy

Avoided this film on its release as from what I'd read and heard it just didn't interest me but using my christmas vouchers I decided to take a chance and boy was I suprised. All I ask nowadays is that a film holds my attention and this film does that in spades. Weaving I thought was awesome and that voice can make the worst dialogue sound interesting and Portman suprised me and her transisition in the final third was believable. Certain parts let it down but not to the point where I swithched off.
All in all a very good film and glad I've seen it in time to ad to my Top 10 (its no.10 by the way).

Post #: 128
- 30/12/2006 9:14:19 PM   
stuieboy

Avoided this film on its release as from what I'd read and heard it just didn't interest me but using my christmas vouchers I decided to take a chance and boy was I suprised. All I ask nowadays is that a film holds my attention and this film does that in spades. Weaving I thought was awesome and that voice can make the worst dialogue sound interesting and Portman suprised me and her transisition in the final third was believable. Certain parts let it down but not to the point where I swithched off.
All in all a very good film and glad I've seen it in time to ad to my Top 10 (its no.10 by the way).

Post #: 129
- 13/1/2007 5:10:38 PM   
moviemaniac2

Flawed, for sure, but The Wachowskis again craft a sinister, spine-tingling and relevant vision of the future.

Post #: 130
Yeah - 8/5/2007 8:37:52 PM   
BlueDragon21120

Under rated, I think people don;t get what they expect and thats what some don't like, But I thought it was a real cool film and retold an old psychology ina very intervesting stylish way

Post #: 131
Twaddle - 14/5/2007 2:28:07 PM   
chillymonkeys

What a load of rubbish. This film was badly thought-out, fractured and clumsy. I was so bored I fell asleep.

Post #: 132
V for vendetta - 21/5/2007 1:55:16 PM   
elimonator

One of the best stories ever told and great action seqences to boot.
Its basically a tale about freedom on any level. Plus the it prooves the people of london are strong, If we stand together.

Post #: 133
La Resistance - 14/7/2007 3:59:48 PM   
elven

Excellent film.... and love the big bangs within it... and the character V, simply never fails to amaze me.

Post #: 134
- 26/10/2007 2:37:18 PM   
swordsandsandals

This film hugely improved with a second viewing, and where it was slow the first time, was engrossing and captivating the second. A brilliant film

Post #: 135
- 17/12/2007 2:09:41 PM   
tallaght24

Awesome flick, better each time I watch it!

Post #: 136
RE: - 19/12/2007 12:31:24 PM   
filmburner30

You know the more times i watch this film the more i  realise how darn good it is.
10/10

"Where are you calling from Milo?"
"The bottom of the pool?"

"Im The Anti Christ.You got me in a Vendetta kind of mood"

"Come back Alan , You Wanker!"

"Your a Doctor,Deal with it"

(in reply to tallaght24)
Post #: 137
Very Impressive - 24/1/2008 11:36:21 AM   
blaud

A fantastic graphic novel transformed into one of the most entertaining films in years. Astute and darkly funny, the creators of the Wachowski brothers have created something so beautiful it borders on the obscene

Post #: 138
- 21/2/2008 8:00:42 AM   
dgribble

I first tried to see this when it came out in cinema, but was unable to get in and see, due to the fact I was one year away from 15, anyway when I saw it on DVD I was slightly disapointed, I then decided to watch a second time when it came on sky, and then a month later bought it on DVD, the reason I enjoyed a second time was I didn't have the high anticipation I had the first time, and I wasn't expecting it to be an action movie, so to anyone that has not seen it, then don't expect an allout action movie, there is action in it but its more of a political thriller, despite that there's great enjoyment to be had mostly from Weaving's performance, so all I can now say is bring on the Watchmen.

Post #: 139
RE: V For Vendetta - 26/3/2008 3:14:41 PM   
R W

Director: James McTeigue
Screenwriters: Larry Wachowski, Andy Wachowski
Starring: Natalie Portman, Hugo Weaving, Stephen Rea, Stephen Fry, John Hurt

Synopsis
In a post-9/11 England, ruled by a government of fascists, Evey Hammond (portman) is partnered with the mysterious vigilante as V (Weaving), who is attempting to recreate the fifth of November.

Review
Ever since The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, graphic novelist Alan Moore was having his own personal vendetta against Hollywood. He felt that Hollywood couldn't do justice adapting his work, such as From Hell. Now the creators of the Matrix trilogy have recreated this cult classic by an unaccredited Moore and illustrator David Lloyd.

The original graphic novel had a very specific setting, while most of the characters are fascists, but in many ways, likeable. It wasn't just about the story of Evey and V, but various other characters such as the detective, played here by Stephen Rea.

However, the Wachowski brothers tried to bring a lot of their persona into their adaptation, such as writing up action sequences that weren't fully realised in the final film. With an American crew shooting in the UK, it is such an insult to us Brits, in which every character has so much cheesy dialogue, in which 50% of it is saying "bollocks".

There are bits and pieces from the novel that are used, but most of the film has its own direction, which isn't necessarily. It fails to show a political aspect about Englishmen being as cruel as Nazis in a post-9/11 world.

Originally an assistant director from The Matrix to his debut as a first-time director, James McTeigue is not ready for something like this. The film's violence is barely even graphical and the action doesn't feel visceral. He keeps nodding back to The Matrix, such as the use of slow-motion action sequences, which doesn't fit the reality of the setting.

This is a film where nearly everyone is a miscast. Hugo Weaving is the only good thing that V for Vendetta provides. He is a cunning linguist and a strong character actor who just waists his time in a not-so-well-made film. Natalie Portman is one of those actresses who are saying: "I'm American, and I can do an English accent". Without the novel's detective story, Stephen Rea fails to show a sense of sympathetic psychology. As for John Hurt as the Leader of England, I think we found the Adolf Hitler of the 21st century.

Verdict
"Why leave it as a comic?", asked Alan Moore. This is a question Hollywood can't answer. Truly a disappointment!      

Post #: 140
RE: The most powerful and important film you will see f... - 26/3/2008 4:09:31 PM   
Vitamin F

quote:

ORIGINAL: Castor Troy

Watched the film today and I've just had a quick flick through this thread, looking at some of my favourite poster's thoughts, and was quite suprised to see some give it 5/5. The review I agree most with is furrybastard:

quote:

I'm glad to see some people on here who didn't like this film, I was suspecting I was the only one.

I went to see this last night. I didn't hate it but was expecting something more given the good reviews from so many quarters. Now I have to question the reviewers (hello, Empire) who actually thought this was worthy of anything more than "alright."

First of all, the cast for the most part is very good. Portman's accent was alright but it did seem like she was just reciting her lines rather than actually 'acting.' Weaving should be applauded for his delivery of such complex dialogue but the character didn't work on screen. It wasn't so much the mask, he just didn't work. I have to agree with Alan Moore who said V and Watchmen were written specifically for the medium of comics and adaptations aren't going to ever really work unless they change them significantly enough. As an adaptation, V for Vendetta is a failure. As a film, it's distinctly average.

The direction is nothing short of poor and inconsistent. One or two moments are clearly "trailer material" (the rain pouring down on Evey, V jumping off the building) that jar within the context of the scene. The slow motion fight at the end is absolutely dreadful and needlessly fetishistic. I thought the scenes near the beginning in the TV station were great, as was the moment where V kills the female doctor.

The lesbian flahsback was truly, cringingly awful. In fact, this film had way too many flashbacks, it all became rather ridiculous. Evey's "torture" was rather pathetic and, excluding Weaving's impressive accent-shifting (including a bit of Agent Smith!), these scenes really let the film down, particularly when it is such a crucial element to the characters and the film.

The best parts of this film was stuff taken from the comic, the worst and silliest bits were included by the filmmakers. The ambiguity of V as terrorist was lost; the bad guys were grotesquely cartoonish making what V was doing seem more sympathetic and right. It's an intelligent movie for dummies, ramming its "THIS MOVIE IS REALLY ABOUT AMERICA AND 9/11" message down the audiences throats. Clunky dialogue is narrowly rescued by the great actors involved. Special mention must go to Stephen Rea who I think was the best thing in this movie. I really liked the montage about how everything is connected and then his colleague asks him what happens next and he replies "I have no idea."

The film looked dull. A stereotypical American view on London, confirmed by the awful Benny Hill scene.
The multiple Vs at the end were ridiculous - it was an interesting idea, don't get me wrong. I'm sure it sounded like a good idea in the script but it was executed badly.

This is not a thinking persons film. This is a film for people who haven't thought very much and need to be told what to think. V is turned into a Jesus Christ-martyr-messiah character (get a new idea Wachowskis) thereby completely misunderstanding the source material and giving Vs cause a legitimacy that should remain blurred.

There was no style, not tension, it was far too light hearted for the subject matter and Portman was pretty bad. It was trying to be cleverer than it was, and overall I didn't enjoy it. 2/5.

Just gave this a (very late) second viewing to see if it works better this time.

But no...agree totally with these comments, what an overrated disappointment this was, with some plain ridiculous scenes that work in comics but cannot simply be transposed onto the screen (I find this goes for a lot of comicbook adaptations).

(in reply to Castor Troy)
Post #: 141
V For Vendetta. - 29/3/2008 7:11:06 PM   
nc_jj

Remember, remember, the Fifth of November, the Gunpowder Treason and Plot. I know of no reason why the Gunpowder Treason should ever be forgot.
A bloody Masterpiece. Great Movie.

Post #: 142
RE: V For Vendetta - 31/3/2008 1:44:28 PM   
white mage

I think it was a bit too wordy for me. Natalie Portman did a good job thourgh.

We do not write the songs, we live them

(in reply to Johnny Pneumonia)
Post #: 143
RE: V For Vendetta - 1/4/2008 10:56:26 AM   
DanCurley

Bought this on DVD about six months ago, only watched it last week. Thought it was great, but I couldn't help but feel that Hugo Weaving has watched the Red Dward Epsiode "Legion" too much...

http://www.podster.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/fotos/tv_leg.jpg

...A memosium banquet awaits...

< Message edited by DanCurley -- 1/4/2008 10:58:01 AM >

I'd give you my signature, but what would happen if you stole my cheque book? It would be a disaster.

(in reply to white mage)
Post #: 144
RE: V For Vendetta - 1/4/2008 11:20:57 AM   
max314

Not without its flaws, but it's still a great watch.  There are some genuinely affecting moments of elevated emotion, which is wonderful.

MAX

Laying the 314 on your candy ass.

Post #: 145
RE: V For Vendetta - 1/4/2008 11:29:50 AM   
Workshed

quote:

ORIGINAL: max314

Not without its flaws, but it's still a great watch.  There are some genuinely affecting moments of elevated emotion, which is wonderful.

Agreed - I kept having the feeling that it could have been better of the Wochowski's directed but it's still very entertaining. Hugo Weaving was fantastic as V and Natalie Portman even looks hot bald.

"Well that's just, like, you're opinion, man"

"Psychos do not explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are!"

(in reply to max314)
Post #: 146
RE: V For Vendetta - 1/4/2008 11:50:39 AM   
max314

quote:

ORIGINAL: Workshed

Agreed - I kept having the feeling that it could have been better of the Wochowski's directed but it's still very entertaining. Hugo Weaving was fantastic as V and Natalie Portman even looks hot bald.

Yeah, I know what you mean.  McTeigue isn't bad, but this was his first movie.  Hopefully, Ninja Assassin will be a marked improvement.

MAX

Laying the 314 on your candy ass.

(in reply to Workshed)
Post #: 147
RE: V For Vendetta - 1/4/2008 12:24:19 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

I actually thought it was quite a faithful adaptation of the comic and a good movie. My only problem were a couple of unintentionally funny moments - one with V donning an apron and cooking breakfast and another in Stephen Fry's secret den with pictures of arses on the wall

(in reply to max314)
Post #: 148
RE: V For Vendetta - 1/4/2008 1:02:56 PM   
Lightfoot

Easily the Turkey of its Year. Pompous, bloated, hilariously bad dialogue, an unorganised, self-important mess.

My favorite bit was the D.H. Lawrence novel written on the back of a piece of 4x4 toilet paper.

(in reply to Fluke Skywalker)
Post #: 149
RE: V For Vendetta - 1/4/2008 1:44:47 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lightfoot

Easily the Turkey of its Year. Pompous, bloated, hilariously bad dialogue, an unorganised, self-important mess.

My favorite bit was the D.H. Lawrence novel written on the back of a piece of 4x4 toilet paper.

I can't remember that but it's bloody funny 

(in reply to Lightfoot)
Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 4 [5] 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: V For Vendetta Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 [5] 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI