Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: V For Vendetta

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: V For Vendetta Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: V For Vendetta - 3/8/2006 7:57:56 AM   
Dr Geek

Bloody brilliant.......buy it, watch it, love it and then watch it again!

'I don't want to belong to any club that would have someone like me as a member.' Woody Allen quoting Groucho Marx
'That Rabbits Dynamite....Brother Maynard, bring
us the Holy Hand grenade' King Arthur
Power to the people who punish bad cinema!

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 91
Best modern political thriller - 7/8/2006 10:58:38 PM   
carmencat6

I saw it at the cinema and it completely blew me away. The themes brought up in the film are so relevant to todays political climate it's rather worrying. I thought Hugo Weaving was brilliant and his speech at the begining though unusual made sense. In a time where freedom of speech and language is supressed his over alliteration of 'v' makes sense. I have heard consitent knocks of Natalies accent. Yes I accept its not perfect but it's not crap or cringeworthyingly bad either. I have seen it four times and the more I watch the more I think her accent is fine. I think English accents are the hardest to do and only Australians and the Johnny Depps of this world get away with it. The action sequences was amazing, They made sense and weren't just there for the sake of it. I recommend this film to anyone who is aware of what is happening and moreso to those who aren't. I have looked at the comic and I haven't really liked it so its not necessary to read it before watching. Each time after seeing it, it made me feel very aware of what is or has happened and how I can do something. I think it's a very political empowering film.

Post #: 92
Best modern political thriller - 7/8/2006 10:58:42 PM   
carmencat6

I saw it at the cinema and it completely blew me away. The themes brought up in the film are so relevant to todays political climate it's rather worrying. I thought Hugo Weaving was brilliant and his speech at the begining though unusual made sense. In a time where freedom of speech and language is supressed his over alliteration of 'v' makes sense. I have heard consitent knocks of Natalies accent. Yes I accept its not perfect but it's not crap or cringeworthyingly bad either. I have seen it four times and the more I watch the more I think her accent is fine. I think English accents are the hardest to do and only Australians and the Johnny Depps of this world get away with it. The action sequences was amazing, They made sense and weren't just there for the sake of it. I recommend this film to anyone who is aware of what is happening and moreso to those who aren't. I have looked at the comic and I haven't really liked it so its not necessary to read it before watching. Each time after seeing it, it made me feel very aware of what is or has happened and how I can do something. I think it's a very political empowering film.

Post #: 93
RE: V for Vlackadder - 7/8/2006 11:00:53 PM   
carmencat6

quote:

ORIGINAL: repo man

Are you sure it's Hugo Weaving and not Rowan Atkinson wearing the mask ? Once you notice this it's hard to unnotice it. I hope nobody's already mentioned this... I couldn't be bothered reading all the other reviews after they went up a matrix shaped brown hole. I thought the film was alright though, if anyone cares.

That is so weird my mum mentioned him sounding like Rowan Atkinson. I personally couldn't hear the similarity.

(in reply to repo man)
Post #: 94
RE: The most powerful and important film you will see f... - 8/8/2006 9:38:40 AM   
Monkey Wrench

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zatoichi

quote:

there were a lot of people in the audience who appeared to be disappointed with it (they sat and talked through the whole film after the initial fight sequences).

I think that's just your usual cinema audience really. Everyone was chatting and giggling and texting away at the screening I was at too.

That's why I've started taking my hunting knife to the cinema. No-one talks during my movie time, those obnoxious wanks!

Who put the brakes on courage?

(in reply to Zatoichi)
Post #: 95
RE: The most powerful and important film you will see f... - 8/8/2006 11:41:07 AM   
carmencat6

I hate people who talk through films and theatre. Why go and see something if your going to talk?

(in reply to Monkey Wrench)
Post #: 96
RE: The most powerful and important film you will see f... - 8/8/2006 5:10:46 PM   
lord of the pies

For me V for Vendetta is the best film of the year so far. Weaving and Portman are both fantastic in it.

Join The Church of JJ today!

http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=527670&mpage=23&key=&NID=0#2414995

(in reply to carmencat6)
Post #: 97
RE: The most powerful and important film you will see f... - 8/8/2006 5:56:03 PM   
libertine

Love the film, its surprisingly artistic for a blockbuster and has possibly one of the best endings i've seen in a long time. This will definitely become a respected cult film.

(in reply to lord of the pies)
Post #: 98
RE: The most powerful and important film you will see f... - 8/8/2006 11:02:58 PM   
carmencat6

It's the most powerful film I've seen in a long time and excellent entertainment. It also knocks the establishment which I'm always for.

(in reply to libertine)
Post #: 99
RE: The most powerful and important film you will see f... - 13/8/2006 11:54:02 AM   
Fenwick

Thought it was great - really felt for the characters etc! I didnt think there was a slow moment in it! Good performances, although did anyone else think that Weaving sounds strangely like Anthony Hopkins in this? I went through the first hour thinking it was him, well at least his voice.

"Your ass is already on the line. The only question is, what are you gonna do about it?"

Snakes on crack!

(in reply to carmencat6)
Post #: 100
RE: The most powerful and important film you will see f... - 13/8/2006 6:39:21 PM   
carmencat6

No thought he sounded like Hugo Weaving. Apparently lots of people found his voice similar to Rowan Atkinson.

(in reply to Fenwick)
Post #: 101
RE: The most powerful and important film you will see f... - 14/8/2006 12:10:06 AM   
Castor Troy

Watched the film today and I've just had a quick flick through this thread, looking at some of my favourite poster's thoughts, and was quite suprised to see some give it 5/5. The review I agree most with is furrybastard:

quote:

I'm glad to see some people on here who didn't like this film, I was suspecting I was the only one.

I went to see this last night. I didn't hate it but was expecting something more given the good reviews from so many quarters. Now I have to question the reviewers (hello, Empire) who actually thought this was worthy of anything more than "alright."

First of all, the cast for the most part is very good. Portman's accent was alright but it did seem like she was just reciting her lines rather than actually 'acting.' Weaving should be applauded for his delivery of such complex dialogue but the character didn't work on screen. It wasn't so much the mask, he just didn't work. I have to agree with Alan Moore who said V and Watchmen were written specifically for the medium of comics and adaptations aren't going to ever really work unless they change them significantly enough. As an adaptation, V for Vendetta is a failure. As a film, it's distinctly average.

The direction is nothing short of poor and inconsistent. One or two moments are clearly "trailer material" (the rain pouring down on Evey, V jumping off the building) that jar within the context of the scene. The slow motion fight at the end is absolutely dreadful and needlessly fetishistic. I thought the scenes near the beginning in the TV station were great, as was the moment where V kills the female doctor.

The lesbian flahsback was truly, cringingly awful. In fact, this film had way too many flashbacks, it all became rather ridiculous. Evey's "torture" was rather pathetic and, excluding Weaving's impressive accent-shifting (including a bit of Agent Smith!), these scenes really let the film down, particularly when it is such a crucial element to the characters and the film.

The best parts of this film was stuff taken from the comic, the worst and silliest bits were included by the filmmakers. The ambiguity of V as terrorist was lost; the bad guys were grotesquely cartoonish making what V was doing seem more sympathetic and right. It's an intelligent movie for dummies, ramming its "THIS MOVIE IS REALLY ABOUT AMERICA AND 9/11" message down the audiences throats. Clunky dialogue is narrowly rescued by the great actors involved. Special mention must go to Stephen Rea who I think was the best thing in this movie. I really liked the montage about how everything is connected and then his colleague asks him what happens next and he replies "I have no idea."

The film looked dull. A stereotypical American view on London, confirmed by the awful Benny Hill scene.
The multiple Vs at the end were ridiculous - it was an interesting idea, don't get me wrong. I'm sure it sounded like a good idea in the script but it was executed badly.

This is not a thinking persons film. This is a film for people who haven't thought very much and need to be told what to think. V is turned into a Jesus Christ-martyr-messiah character (get a new idea Wachowskis) thereby completely misunderstanding the source material and giving Vs cause a legitimacy that should remain blurred.

Still, it was enjoyable enough action fodder that at least attempts to address actual issues and ideas. I guess its well intentioned, if nothing else. And Portman in that costume was worth the ticket price alone.

There was no style, not tension, it was far too light hearted for the subject matter and Portman was pretty bad. It was trying to be cleverer than it was, and overall I didn't enjoy it. 2/5.

The individual human mind. In a child's ability to master the multiplication table, there is more holiness than all your shouted hosannas and holy holies. An idea is more important than a monument and the advancement of Man's knowledge more miraculous than all the sticks turned to snakes and the parting of the waters.

(in reply to carmencat6)
Post #: 102
RE: The most powerful and important film you will see f... - 14/8/2006 8:07:38 AM   
carmencat6

I completely disagree. Both characters worked fine and the actors were superb. Were you reviewing it in comparison to the comic or were you reviewing it as the film alone? 

(in reply to Castor Troy)
Post #: 103
RE: The most powerful and important film you will see f... - 16/8/2006 3:06:53 PM   
iainthekid

Loved it, loved it, loved it.  Both as a thought-provoking film and as a good slice of Hollywood - and it is increasingly rare to find that in one film these days.

Scarecrow: I haven't got a brain... only straw.
Dorothy: How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

(in reply to carmencat6)
Post #: 104
Free your mind... - 26/8/2006 12:22:00 AM   
jonnypatterson

The Wachowskis again have their name attached to another mind freeing screenplay and I loved it! It really summed up the future as I see and fear it in my mind so it was nice to see some of my inner most nightmares on the big screen. Gotta give it five just to counterbalance those that didnt like it!

Post #: 105
V for Vendetta - 29/8/2006 11:32:27 AM   
Bond

This film is great, clever and packs a punch! The Wachowski Brothers have bought the comic to life. Natalie Portman puts on a english accent and even looks good with a shaven head. Hugo Weaving is great as the mysterious code name V. One thing which I was annoyed about is that you don't see his face, but gives more of the fact that he is a mysterious. The film has one flaw, at times it packs up with information it is sometimes tricky to keep it all in your head. The action sequences are one of the best action sequences I have seen. The explosions are maginificent it is sometimes hard to think how films did without special effects. The directing is great and the acting and the script, this is one of the best films I have seen in a while

Post #: 106
RE: V for Vendetta - 29/8/2006 11:33:31 PM   
ianybob

finally got round to seeing this last night, although its no 5 star masterpiece i loved it. weaving was masterful as V and... god im not film critic but i thought it was fantastic

4/5 from me

"This stuff'll make you a god damn sexual tyranasaurus. Just like me"

(in reply to Bond)
Post #: 107
RE: V for Vendetta - 31/8/2006 8:36:33 PM   
4aces

i am verry much in love with this film.. must stop myself from watching it every spare time i've got ;)

(in reply to ianybob)
Post #: 108
RE: V for Vendetta - 31/8/2006 11:04:32 PM   
carmencat6

I've been restraining myself too. If you watch it too much you'll get sick of it.

(in reply to 4aces)
Post #: 109
- 4/9/2006 11:06:55 AM   
Private Gripweed

Post #: 110
RE: - 4/9/2006 5:04:08 PM   
Rotary Ten

http://film.guardian.co.uk/Film_Page/0,,1725668,00.html

It seems that none of the papers here actually liked V For Vendetta very much. I didn't notice that reception before I went to see it. Happily I can say that I enjoyed it a lot. I've not read the graphic novel, but I thought the film was very thought-provoking, intelligent and articulate, and quite an important statement at this time.

(in reply to Private Gripweed)
Post #: 111
RE: RE: - 4/9/2006 6:55:56 PM   
carmencat6

I found that too. It also wasn't on at my cinema for that long too.
I thought it was brilliant and very relevant to our time of Big Brother (not the TV show), propaganda, valuable freedoms being taken away, scaremongering. What I liked is that V didn't just blame the government he blamed the people who voted for the government, which I belive is very important. We all need to take responsibilty for what we do even if it's indirectly.

(in reply to Rotary Ten)
Post #: 112
RE: RE: - 6/9/2006 9:33:54 PM   
adt100

I'm fed up of people calling this movie "thought-provoking, intelligent" etc, it's none of those things! Sure it tries to be, but for anyone over the age of 15 that hasn't grown up on a diet of MTV driven tv then it's nothing of the sort. Sure it's entertaining in parts, but far too long winded and up it's own behind to be taken seriously.

Their 'vision of the future' is not particularly visionary or interesting, and it seems as though they've done in on a pretty tight budget. You get no real sense of reality, or grit in the London streets. It all seems so, staged and false.

(in reply to carmencat6)
Post #: 113
RE: RE: - 7/9/2006 1:19:32 PM   
miss_phoenix

v was a big let down to me and probably anyone who actually read the comic, they missed out all the good bits and made really tacky

(in reply to adt100)
Post #: 114
enjoyed it - but not great - 19/9/2006 1:34:59 PM   
discodave101

Natalie Portmans english accent didn't work for me at all, and due to the at times silly script it helped make the acting from all seem wooden. I think portman is an excellent actress but in this it was acting by numbers. The film definitely felt cheap to me too, like it definitely had budget restaints. In summation its a let-down from the hype, but an enjoyable let-down all the same.

Post #: 115
V For Vendetta - 25/9/2006 9:33:11 PM   
Indio

While Portman, Weaving and Hurt were all OK, there were FAR too many amateurish performances from the supporting cast (i.e. the commander with the tv show, and the assorted people watching the tv at home and in the pubs - and why did every other word from the supporting cast seem to be 'bollocks' in a cor blimey accent)

I can't believe that a producer like Joel Silver was behind this, the whole thing came across as some cheaply made mid 90s British pot-boiler, there were good ideas here but the execution let the whole thing down, it was laughable in places. I'd say it was worth 2 out of 5 at most.

< Message edited by Indio -- 25/9/2006 9:34:13 PM >

'Think about the future.'

(in reply to discodave101)
Post #: 116
RE: V For Vendetta - 25/9/2006 9:57:16 PM   
se7en45

Alan Moore can rest easy.

This film adaptation of his famed graphic-novel is a love letter to readers of the book and it will certainly appeal to film connoisseurs everywhere.

The story revolves around a Great Britain gone Fascist, the world is filled with wars and riots, police prowl about with guns and shoot on sight, surveillance cameras peep everywhere, there's terrorist bombings in the underground, the news is filled with bird flu and the regime in power controls the television networks that produce brain-dead drivel for the masses. In other words, the time is Now, the place is Now and the film reaches out to you Now.

Out of this totalitarian nightmare emerges a figure of Hope and Freedom for the beleaguered people. His name? Codename V... The ghost of Christmas Past comes and with it he brings Freedom at the end of a silver knife.

This masked figure is mysterious, incredibly charismatic, powerful yet graceful, passionate and also tender.

It is a mark of courage on the part of the Wachowski Bros that they never reveal the face behind the enigmatic mask. The whole concept behind the book and the film is that it is not the individual behind the mask that is important but rather the idea that he represents. Ideas can never be silenced or killed with bullets. Freedom is eternal and no amount of State sponsored censorship will ever gag it or murder it. It is good to note that Warner Bros and Joel Silver (Lethal Weapon and Predator) decided not to cave in to the constant barking and pressure of the media as this film was in post-production. It would have been so very easy to have produced a simple action flick for the audience and run with the money but they didn't. They stuck to their goals and have offered us a timely hymn to the philosophy of Freedom. That face behind the mask is me, you, your mother, your brother, etc. He's all of us.

Our hard-earned Freedoms are under attack by the very forces that are supposed to uphold and protect them. In the USA and in Great Britain there is work afoot to erode and cage our civil rights by introducing new measures under the guise of such paperwork as The Patriot Act or the new Anti-Terror legislation. These laws are being rushed through and soon it may well be a crime to have differing opinions or be of a different colour or have a sexual orientation that lands you in jail. Many of these serious issues are tackled by the script but the points never become a sermon.

The former art director of The Matrix series, James McTeigue, has used his immense talent to bring out some very imaginative settings for the tale. The film looks fabulous. The cinematography contains evocative Art Deco designs, the costumes have been lifted directly out of the graphic-novel, the Noir settings with mist and fog makes London look like Jack-the-Ripper's Whitechapel and the overall atmosphere is of a tortuous place where evil is breeding and festering. This is precisely the kind of grim Gothic that was sorely lacking in Batman Begins.

The action scenes are inspirational and break new ground in innovation. The sliver-streaks of smoky shadows that are left behind in the wake of V's deadly knife, as he slices through the necks and arms of the enemy, is like a dance of death. Blood gushes out in a slow-motion orgy of violence and the consistency, texture and colour of the blood resembles thick wine. V is like an artist creating his Renaissance masterpiece in those damp tunnels beneath the Houses of Parliament. And no money is spared in concocting the most explosive and realistic detonations ever seen on English soil. Not for one moment does it look like some dodgy CGI work on display.

Hugo Weaving (from Lord of the Rings and The Matrix series) brings humanity and reason to the voice behind the mask. His performance as V is brought to full life through his golden dulcet tones that are as rich as honey. He brings a very charming presence to the role, at times purposely theatrical (so as to bring some kind of sanity to the real madness all around him), at other times he is sombre and feelings of regret and pain emerge from deep within his soul. All this and much more is made possible by using the most powerful tool in an actor's armoury, the voice. At a time when "stars" are created on a regular basis in Hollywood, based purely on their appearances, it is refreshing to see this stripped-back approach of using the human voice to give a harmonious rhythm to a masked character.

Natalie Portman has her best role since Leon, all the talent that she displayed on the stage in The Diary of Anne Frank is brought to the fore here. Interestingly, some of those disturbing scenes of the Holocaust seem to have been recreated here in this film. She transforms from a bright young thing to a person who understands the nature of pain and suffering. Her facial expressions, as she reads the story of a former prisoner in her cell, shows real emotion and compassion. We see her accept her fate as she reads the journal written on a scrap of toilet paper. The hopes and dreams of a fellow human being were crushed but her spirit was never broken. Portman's eyes come to life and her face becomes resigned to her fate. There is no melodramatic flourish at all, just serene acceptance and in that simple action she reveals what a truly strong woman she really is. Fear eats the soul, and now that she has embraced the concept of death, nothing more can be taken from her. Her vocal delivery is impeccable and convincing.

The support from the rest of the cast is also exemplary. John Hurt is all Orwellian as the Big Brother dictator, Stephen Rea brings some world-weary gravitas to his role as the police chief, Stephen Fry is an inspired choice as the game-show host with a secret life and it was good to see Tim Piggott-Smith back on screen as a balding and beady-eyed villain. Even the smaller roles were well filled. A very special mention must go Sinéad Cusack who supplies her unsympathetic role, as a prison scientist conducting unethical experiments on the inmates, with a rare poignancy as she asks for forgiveness.

The soundtrack by Dario Marianelli was a musical hybrid that really brought out the anarchy and rage of the script. It is recommended that you stay behind to listen to the epilogue music. If you are a lover of graphic art design then sit back and enjoy the music and artwork used on the end credits. Since the film dispenses with traditional opening credits, a good technique in my opinion, they instead put all the effort into the closing of the movie. The designs hearken back to pre-World War II government posters. You hear the sounds of tearing paper and strips of the black screen peel off to reveal the faces of the cast in red-and-black ink.

Oh, Alan Moore need not worry as I stated earlier. This film is easily the best adaptation of any of his books to date. There's even a brilliantly scripted and superbly choreographed tribute to him in the movie. The blending is seamless and is worked completely into the film's narrative.

Go watch it now!

* * * * / * * * * *

Recommended.

(in reply to Marshwiggle)
Post #: 117
RE: V For Vendetta - 26/9/2006 1:12:25 AM   
Doctor Manhattan

I must admit, i did find Portman's performance somewhat forced up until about halfway through the film what with the english accent and that. And as others have said, the film didn't stay as true to the graphic novel as i had hoped, seemingly skipping (what i perceived to be) crucial sections of dialogue etc. As with Portman's poor performance(only in the first half, i must stress!), i kind of felt that Weaving 'camped' V up a bit in the first half of the film; providing you havn't read the graphic novel/comics it's above average although being a loyal Alan Moore fan i thought otherwise. Critisism aside, the film had a fantastic score and is definetely the best Moore adaptation so far.

< Message edited by Doctor Manhattan -- 26/9/2006 1:13:36 AM >

Bob: "Can you keep a secret? I'm trying to organize a prison break. We have to first get out of this bar, then the hotel, then the city, and then the country. Are you in or you out?"
Charlotte: "I'm in."

(in reply to se7en45)
Post #: 118
RE: V For Vendetta - 26/9/2006 8:39:25 PM   
carmencat6

All adaptations have to changed. I think it's silly going into a film adaptation and hoping it will be exactly like the original format, of course unless it's HP where the directors have hardly any leeway. 

(in reply to Doctor Manhattan)
Post #: 119
RE: RE: - 29/9/2006 4:12:25 PM   
jobloffski

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rotary Ten

http://film.guardian.co.uk/Film_Page/0,,1725668,00.html

It seems that none of the papers here actually liked V For Vendetta very much. I didn't notice that reception before I went to see it. Happily I can say that I enjoyed it a lot. I've not read the graphic novel, but I thought the film was very thought-provoking, intelligent and articulate, and quite an important statement at this time.

Not really surprised the media didn't warm to a film that partially exists to inform people (if they weren't already aware of it and it didn't go over their heads) that the media manipulates us to try and control our opinions, so is as much one of the bad guys in the film as the government, the church and the police when if comes to the abuse of power and the oppression of individuality, were you?

And I didn't even mind the simplification of aspects of the source material. After all, what does the most good? Preaching to the converted who'll get what Moore implies or lighting the blue touch paper under people who might not naturally be as questioning as those of us who have seen enough !984/THX1138/Brazil type things to appreciate a more obtuse take?

Frankly, where the film is strongest, the book is weakest, and vice versa. At least people who like the film but might never have sought the book out might read it. And Moore has a bit of a bug up his butt if he sees no value whatsoever in a the potential of  film to draw people in the direction he was supposedly trying to do when he wrote the story. Or does he like his outsider status too much to welcome mere mortals?

For instance, his book can suggest the power of music, but there's nothing like actually hearing music for conveying it's power.

The 'message' is more important than the medium (unless the message is from beyod the grave, in which case, the medium matters a bit more. Er, and stuff)

< Message edited by jobloffski -- 29/9/2006 4:23:01 PM >

Yes, dreamers dream and doers do. But if dreamers DON'T dream, doers don't have anything TO do. Everything that is only here because people exist, only exists because someone thought of it., or in other words, dreamed it.

(in reply to Rotary Ten)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: V For Vendetta Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI