Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Very Very good indeed!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Very Very good indeed! Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Very Very good indeed! - 28/3/2006 2:28:55 PM   
Benjamin Dover

That scene with Portman chained up in the shover was just painfull to watch

6 Waffles now!!! (Thx Uncle Jun)

"Everyones dying to be a Zombie!"-Ted Striker

Keira Knightley talked to me! To me, by my name!!! (Yes online, but still, closest I'll ever get...)
Post #: 61
RE: read it dont watch it! - 28/3/2006 9:20:01 PM   
Ali Baba

“What we need right now is a clear message to the people of this country. This message must be read in every newspaper, heard on every radio, seen on every television. I want this country to realise that we stand on the edge of oblivion. I want everyone to remember why they need us!” The words here are being spoken, nay, barked by the fictional leader of a largely exaggerated totalitarian Britain, but while watching V For Vendetta, you can’t help but think that comparisons with our current climate aren’t exactly unfounded. Believe everything the government and the media tell you, and we’re under threat at every turn from terrorists who want to blow us up, wear our skins and rape our swans; if things continue in this manner and the apathetic general public continue to be ruled by fear, then the world of V For Vendetta could well be a frightening glimpse into the future. Choose to ignore its political ideology and you’ll still be left with an incendiary action thriller, crammed with fascinating characters and eye-candy by the bowlful. Take heed its warning, and it might just free your mind more than you thought a Wachowski brothers movie ever could.

It is November 5th, and the masked vigilante known only as V (Weaving) is addressing the nation, having hijacked an emergency broadcast system. “Both you and I know there’s something very wrong with this country,” he calmly states to his viewers, and he’s not wrong. Britain has given in to the fearmongers and now cowers under the iron fist of High Chancellor Adam Sutler (Hurt), who keeps his people safe by enforcing curfews, outlawing homosexuality and religion and having his populace surrender any personal freedom in the name of national security. Evey Hammond (Portman) is caught outside after the 10:30pm cut-off and is just about to be set upon by government goons when she’s saved by our charismatic freedom fighter and is inadvertently entangled in V’s world of vengeance. The two form an uneasy relationship at first, but eventually conspire to restore order to the UK by whatever means necessary.

The universe of V From Vendetta has leapt straight from the pages of the Alan Moore graphic novel, although the notoriously cranky author need not have been quite so quick to disown the movie adaptation – this is certainly no League of Extraordinary Gentlemen botch job. In fact, it’s a perfect example of exactly how to do justice to a comic book, staying faithful to the story for the main part, while the Matrix trio of the Wachowskis and director McTeigue flesh out the action scenes with their customary flair. Don’t confuse it for your nightly episode of Newsnight – V For Vendetta is unashamedly entertaining from start to finish and refuses to get bogged down in morality. Yes, serious issues are under the microscope, but we’re talking about a partially insane, knife-wielding revolutionary who wears a Guy Fawkes mask and kicks insane amounts of ass – political dullards are well catered for.

Some might find it a little soon after the July 7th bombings to be entertained by a film about terrorists attacking the UK, but important issues are raised and the movie doesn’t flinch from its standpoint – ‘evil’ is just a point of view. With the benefit of the bigger picture, we can see V is fighting for something he vehemently believes in, a just cause he’s willing to die for. Those watching the biased media coverage safe in their houses will swallow the lies that he’s a madman, hell bent on destruction and the annihilation of civilisation – one man’s terrorist is another man’s freedom fighter after all. Terrorists don’t just wake up in the morning and decide to be evil to piss off Jack Bauer – behind every attack, every sacrifice, every explosion is a reason, an idea, a belief. V For Vendetta never suggests that violence is the answer, nor does it claim that it is futile: it’s a movie that’s brave enough to let you form your own opinion and never dares influence you or tell you what you should think.

Despite spending the entire duration behind his ever-smiling visage, Weaving gives a phenomenal physical performance as V, breathing life into a character that could easily have ended up suffering from Green Goblin Syndrome. His wonderfully distinctive voice and his theatrical get-up combine to make an instantly iconic character, so even if he’s not remembered for his verbosity and his vigilance, he’ll make a damn good Halloween costume for years to come. Portman is also excellent (although often struggles with a plummy British accent) and consigns those stiff Star Wars performances to the deepest, darkest corners of the universe with a well-rounded and mature performance. Her transition from unwitting accomplice to fully-blown anarchist is believable and smooth – there’s no awkward, Vader-esque, “I will do anything you ask, my master” kind-of moments here. Hair or no hair, she’s still an incredible performer when she’s reading the right script, and the fact that she’s not unpleasant to look at certainly won’t dampen your enjoyment one bit.

Whatever level you’re willing to engage it at, V For Vendetta just doesn’t disappoint. Alarmingly verbose to begin with, it nonetheless evens out to be a well-written and intelligent piece of storytelling that never veers into ‘Architect’ territory and steers clear of soapbox politics and finger pointing. Visually, there are no set-pieces that ignite the imagination in the same way that those in the Matrix trilogy did, but the brief moments of necessary violence are handled with style and panache – V’s final slow-motion takedown is one to cherish and you’ll feel oddly jubilant as the landmarks of London fall to the tune of Tchaikovsky. A triumph of style and substance, V For Vendetta might not cause anarchy in the UK but it sure as hell isn’t afraid to hold the lighter under the blue touch paper in preparation. “People shouldn’t be afraid of their governments,” reasons the cloaked figure of V, who might as well be speaking directly to the audience. “Governments should be afraid of their people.” Mr. Blair and friends would do well to take his advice seriously and pay attention; this may just be a movie, but it contains within an idea, and as we are told, sometimes an idea is all you need to start a revolution.

Movie reviews and features at www.theshiznit.co.uk - updated every week - it's not for losers.

(in reply to clare_star_)
Post #: 62
RE: read it dont watch it! - 29/3/2006 7:10:38 PM   
BobaJango

3/5 (a high three)!

"Don't worry. Won't insult legendary underworld solidarity by suggesting you surrender name without torture". - Rorschach (Watchmen).

(in reply to Ali Baba)
Post #: 63
RE: V for Varied - 5/4/2006 4:52:47 AM   
imaginator

What unctuous rambunctous tumultuousness embattled ergo sherzoed enfeebled res publica

Post #: 64
RE: V for Varied - 7/4/2006 9:34:38 AM   
maydayfilms

Pretentious posturing posing partly prophecy, portentous and palable political peccadillos but ponderous, plain and predictable presentation pushes populace's patience. Portman's pretty but pedestrian, pouting but performance passes perilously as perfunctory, perhaps possibly phlegmatic. Pseudo psychological, philosophical prittle prattle pumped pitlessly by phoney, peculiar partners posits probable problem with producer. Podgy plot promises plenty but in practice preaches peurile, provocative, pugnacious puff. Penultimate Parliament piece partially prepares people for potential pleasure but pales passively into pastiche and painful platitudinous. P is for pussillanimous, pious, perplexingly pertinacious palsied pap.

(in reply to imaginator)
Post #: 65
RE: V for Varied - 7/4/2006 10:17:05 AM   
demoncleaner

prick

(in reply to maydayfilms)
Post #: 66
RE: V for Varied - 7/4/2006 11:53:45 AM   
Peter Griffin

quote:

ORIGINAL: demoncleaner

prick

I thought it was quite clever.

"No point in mentioning these bats, I thought. Poor bastard will see them soon enough."

"Me and Pete Griffin would make a beautiful Dead Space ass kicking baby."

(in reply to demoncleaner)
Post #: 67
RE: V for Varied - 10/4/2006 2:47:23 AM   
joe eye joe

quote:

ORIGINAL: maydayfilms

Pretentious posturing posing partly prophecy, portentous and palable political peccadillos but ponderous, plain and predictable presentation pushes populace's patience. Portman's pretty but pedestrian, pouting but performance passes perilously as perfunctory, perhaps possibly phlegmatic. Pseudo psychological, philosophical prittle prattle pumped pitlessly by phoney, peculiar partners posits probable problem with producer. Podgy plot promises plenty but in practice preaches peurile, provocative, pugnacious puff. Penultimate Parliament piece partially prepares people for potential pleasure but pales passively into pastiche and painful platitudinous. P is for pussillanimous, pious, perplexingly pertinacious palsied pap.

I THINK YOUR BEING A BIT GENOROUS HERE MATE GOD IT WAS BAD

(in reply to maydayfilms)
Post #: 68
RE: V for Varied - 10/4/2006 9:25:43 AM   
Trapman9

I cannot believe the bad reviews.Have you even read the graphic novel?Are you a comic book geek?V for Vendetta is maybe the graphic novel bible!And the movie adaptation is just brilliant.What did you expect?Was it to anarchic for you?Maybe the dialogue was a little bit heavy?You don't like to watch Big Ben being blown to pieces?You should crawl back to your little holes,read the novel (even though you don't deserve it) and start thinking about the Guy Fawkes mask.I don't care what you say, this movie is an idea and ideas are bulletproof (to paraphrase V).End of discussion.

P.S. Does anyone know where i can find a Guy Fawkes mask?

We're gonna need a bigger boat...

(in reply to joe eye joe)
Post #: 69
RE: V For Vendetta - 10/4/2006 6:07:02 PM   
miss_phoenix

the novel was a work of pure genius, the storyline were just so catching and mind boggiling, but the film although being a work of art in itself fails miserably in comparison to the novel.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 70
RE: V For Vendetta - 11/4/2006 7:33:15 AM   
joe eye joe

I have not read the novel and dont plan too either
I felt sorry for Natelie Portmans dismal performance but its not easy talking to someone who
looks like a cross between a chinaplate and a cheshire cat

ive seen some rubbish in my time but it really took the cake
it was so bad It was actually worth watching in a sick sense

the worst film I have seen in a long time

(in reply to miss_phoenix)
Post #: 71
RE: V For Vendetta - 11/4/2006 7:38:33 AM   
joe eye joe

and Trapmank or whatever name is amI insulting you, did you help make that celluloid turkey of a disaster whats all this about "holes to crawl into"
takes one to know one hey...that sounds like you with your comic book collection
I have read some comics but this one after the showing of that awful film makes me not want to bother but theres no need to insult me just because YOU think
it s a  futuristic anarchic brainstormer of a film excellentlly directed by those whackowski brothers who managed the impossible and screwed up the Matrix sequels so byu the end even I could have wrote a better script

and by the way Big Ben getting blown up would be alright if George Galloway was tied to the top of it!

< Message edited by joe eye joe -- 11/4/2006 7:40:21 AM >

(in reply to miss_phoenix)
Post #: 72
RE: V For Vendetta - 11/4/2006 7:42:00 AM   
joe eye joe

it should have been called C is for crud

Post #: 73
RE: V For Vendetta - 11/4/2006 8:25:21 PM   
Trapman9

First of all, you must learn how to use punctuation marks just so to understand what are you writing.Secondly, i do not own a comic book collection and just so you know, V for Vendetta is a graphic novel and not a comic (not that you would understand the difference).I suppose you don't even know who Alan Moore is, right?I did not help make this ''celluloid turkey'' as you call it.It just pisses me off to read ignorant wisecracks from someone who cannot even begin to fathom the meanings of the movie, let alone the novel.However, you are entitled to your own opinion and you know what they say, ignorance is bliss...

Post #: 74
RE: V For Vendetta - 11/4/2006 9:23:24 PM   
Squall Katsuragi

Actually V For Vendetta was a comic before being collected as a graphic novel. It appeared in Warrior in the early 1980s and is probably the only strip published in that anthology that isn't mixed up in rights issues. Thats a different story though and one for Bookworms.

Anyway...

I saw V last weekend and I loved it. I felt slightly let down by the ending but felt as though it got the point across very well. The acting is superb and there are moments when you don't know if you want to laugh at V or feel horrified over his actions. Natalie Portmans accent wasn't as bad as I thought and there were a few UK stereotypes but not too many. I actually thought Stephen Fry's character was nicely handled and loved the Benny Hill skit. Definatly worth seeing again and a film that does reflect the times that we live in, just the same as the original reflected the Thatcher Government and what was occuring then.

(in reply to Trapman9)
Post #: 75
RE: V for Varied - 12/4/2006 1:11:09 AM   
max314

quote:

ORIGINAL: Peter Griffin

quote:

ORIGINAL: demoncleaner

prick

I thought it was quite clever.

Oh, so when he does it, it's "clever"...

MAX

Laying the 314 on your candy ass.

(in reply to Peter Griffin)
Post #: 76
RE: V For Vendetta - 12/4/2006 1:13:33 AM   
max314

quote:

ORIGINAL: joe eye joe

...a film excellentlly directed by those whackowski brothers who managed the impossible and screwed up the Matrix sequels so byu the end even I could have wrote a better script

No you bloody couldn't

MAX

Laying the 314 on your candy ass.

Post #: 77
RE: V For Vendetta - 12/4/2006 1:57:04 AM   
joe eye joe

Trapman - fair enough I couldnt care less the difference between comic and graphic novel

Max314 - What happened to all the  people living in Bliss in the earth that were featured in the 1st movie but steadily dissapeared as the trilogy continued
why didnt Morpheus and company wake them up from being in the Matrix and they pull all that cords out of the back of there head and fight for earth on the Killing fields something like this would have been better than that 2 hour extended chase scene I had the misfortune to endure

why am i going on about this anyway.....

(in reply to max314)
Post #: 78
RE: V For Vendetta - 12/4/2006 6:42:38 AM   
LarsLarsson

Saw it last week and loved it. The best film of '06. 5 stars.

If the question ever crosses your mind, the answer is no.

Post #: 79
RE: V For Vendetta - 12/4/2006 9:13:30 AM   
Trapman9

It is nice to know that someone out there seems to think alike and actually have some knowledge on the matter.I agree that the ending was a little dissapointing.I was expecting Evey to wear the mask but as you say it gets the point across.And i also have to thank Max314 for quoting the Wachowski brothers.He just makes some points ever so clearer...

(in reply to Squall Katsuragi)
Post #: 80
RE: read it dont watch it! - 12/4/2006 6:31:25 PM   
gorilla rodeo

Here is my review for anyone who cares to read it:
http://gorillarodeo.com/vforvendetta.html

(in reply to clare_star_)
Post #: 81
RE: V For Vendetta - 13/4/2006 2:37:13 PM   
Stanley Kubrick

2020 Viral outbreak has caused America to go into civil war and Britain is a fascist state under a dictatorship. The only resister is known as ‘V’, who hides behind a Guy Fawkes mask. V threatens to blow up Westminster on November 5 unless the state investigator can locate V's secret hideout. After rescuing Evey from a gang of Fingermen - V takes her into his secret lair, a shadow gallery, where he keeps all the culture forbidden by the far right government/dictator Adam Sutler.

This film was exciting I was enthralled by the action and the theactrical ways of V, Evey (Natalie Portman) was very convincing of the hardships she had to bare....  Even if the accent was not as good as it could have been, she was just as much a star in this movie as 'V' (Hugo Weaving). I found myself to be hoping that V was really alive by the end of the film and ensuring that Justice (even by the help of violence) was to be upheld.

This will be one film that I will certainly be adding to my ever growing DVD collection.

Top Five Films
1) Fight Club
2) Silence of the Lambs
3) Eyes Wide Shut
4) Evil Dead
5) Batman

Jinkstkateer #17

Post #: 82
RE: V For Vendetta - 14/4/2006 7:01:42 PM   
Axel Foley

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trapman9

It is nice to know that someone out there seems to think alike and actually have some knowledge on the matter.I agree that the ending was a little dissapointing.I was expecting Evey to wear the mask but as you say it gets the point across.And i also have to thank Max314 for quoting the Wachowski brothers.He just makes some points ever so clearer...

The Wachowski's (if they care at all) can be happy with the fact that the majority of movie fans have loved it (just check out the IMDB rating for proof of that). What's disappointing for me is that a lot of the criticism in this thread is of the "it was shit" variety.

https://twitter.com/Obiwan_desouza

(in reply to Trapman9)
Post #: 83
RE: V For Vendetta - 16/4/2006 4:45:07 AM   
m_er

I'm speechless ! Dunno what to say. Got plot holes, Natalie was shit ! I guess I missed the whole point here ?! What do the characters depict in the film ??? I need some explanation here !!!

My rating : smth between 4 and 8 !!!

I think I must see this film again to clear my vision.

WHOA. I don't believe what I'm hearing. Check out the BALLS on this kid. Hey Spider, this is for you.

My movies
http://www.imdb.com/mymovies/list?l=4044070

(in reply to Axel Foley)
Post #: 84
RE: absaloute garbage - 16/4/2006 4:47:21 AM   
m_er

quote:

ORIGINAL: joe eye joe

its lucky to get 1 star I tried and failed to fall asleep after the 1st half an hour The mask looked absaloutely ridicolous Portmans acting atrocious not even the excellent Stephen Fry could save this utter Turkey the dialogue bad in points and even worse plot twists that by the end I had no care for any of the charcters or the story
one of the worst films I have ever seen so bad it has to be watched

wow mate you got it ! you're not wrong to tell you the truth.

WHOA. I don't believe what I'm hearing. Check out the BALLS on this kid. Hey Spider, this is for you.

My movies
http://www.imdb.com/mymovies/list?l=4044070
Post #: 85
RE: V For Vendetta - 3/6/2006 10:25:45 PM   
Ryan_D_Bell

Whilst watching 'V' I was pleasantly surprised and said to myself, "this isn't rubbish at all.  I am quite enjoying this" and felt a 4 star coming on. However, after the ending, I felt more sort of......I dunno kinda bemused with a 3 star opinion.  Still not bad at all though.[image]http://www.empireonline.com/forum/micons/m6.gif[/image]

Would have been fun if they had made Nemesis (of 2000AD) instead. similar ideas.

Post #: 86
Spot on Empire - 7/7/2006 12:05:07 PM   
Tohru_Readman

When I first saw the trailer, I though it's going to be all action, with not much of story or plot to speak of. But it's a very talky political thriller, which is great because I was expecting all action no plot, but I got a pleasant suprise. Hugo Weaving was perfect as V, his voice is wonderful, which is great since V has some very long speechs. Natalie Portman does a half-decent job as Evey only problem being her accent it was all over the place at somepoints. But if you want to see a talky political thriller I highly recommend V for Vendetta.

Post #: 87
V for Vlackadder - 22/7/2006 9:28:13 PM   
repo man

Are you sure it's Hugo Weaving and not Rowan Atkinson wearing the mask ? Once you notice this it's hard to unnotice it. I hope nobody's already mentioned this... I couldn't be bothered reading all the other reviews after they went up a matrix shaped brown hole. I thought the film was alright though, if anyone cares.

Post #: 88
V for Vlackadder - 22/7/2006 9:29:29 PM   
repo man

Are you sure it's Hugo Weaving and not Rowan Atkinson wearing the mask ? Once you notice this it's hard to unnotice it. I hope nobody's already mentioned this... I couldn't be bothered reading all the other reviews after they went up a matrix shaped brown hole. I thought the film was alright though, if anyone cares.

Post #: 89
RE: V for Vlackadder - 2/8/2006 6:29:47 PM   
PedroSanchez

I watched this for the first time last night, and it was the first of many viewing's im sure.
V For Vendetta blew me away. It's the most engaging film i've seen for a while. From the very first minute, to the explosive and very satisfying end, my eyes were glued to the screen.
Natalie Portman gives a good performance here as the naive Evey Hammond, but it's Hugo Weaving who really impresses as the shadowy freedom fighter V. Few actors could pull off a starring role like this without the benefit of facial expressions, yet he is utterly convincing. A truly brilliant film experience.

''What business is it of yours where I'm from, friendo?''

(in reply to repo man)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Very Very good indeed! Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI