Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: V For Vendetta

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: V For Vendetta Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: V For Vendetta - 20/3/2006 6:57:35 PM   
Ell

Thoroughly enjoyable (despite Portman's bad English accent). A real 'fight the power' movie with an anti-hero as memorable as he is villainous. 4/5

"I'D BUY THAT FOR A DOLLAR!!!"

(in reply to Marshwiggle)
Post #: 31
RE: Not bad, but not good either - 21/3/2006 1:26:16 PM   
Dignan

When I was in London last weekend I went to the cinema wanting to see The Proposition. Having got there I was told that 'the screen was too cold and not working' so they weren't showing it. I was really pretty pissed off at this but as I had nothing else to do for a few hours I reluctantly bought a ticket to see V for Vendetta instead. Well, I am very glad I did. The movie was awesome! I loved every minute of it, granted I havn't read the comic, but this is one of the best comic book movies i've seen yet, and probably the best movie I've seen in the cinema this year so far.
4.5/5 

Everything's Impossible, 'till it ain't'

Last 5
United 93 *****
The Last Kiss ***
Children of men ****
Fast Sofa ***
The Anniversary Party ***
Post #: 32
RE: Worth a look - 21/3/2006 2:52:43 PM   
Johnny Pneumonia

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deeznutz

It was so refreshing to see the Yanks get the Britishness almost right as well.

You must be kidding...

'Kate Winslet there...talking dirty...to, uh, Anne Frank and Joseph Goebbels...'
Post #: 33
RE: read it dont watch it! - 21/3/2006 2:56:04 PM   
jobloffski

Like the film overall, and for the way it made me actually give a shit about what would become of Evey after she was captured.

The film was actually ABOUT something and regarldess of whether it was an eye opener, a dnagerous piece or an opinion confirmer for people already minded to resist passive obedience of the government of the day, it's just good to see a film that's about something that creates a feeling you don't often get in the cinema.

And the crowds of mask wearing citizens marching on parliament wasjust electrifyingly emotional, within the context of the film as it was playing out.

Yes, dreamers dream and doers do. But if dreamers DON'T dream, doers don't have anything TO do. Everything that is only here because people exist, only exists because someone thought of it., or in other words, dreamed it.

(in reply to clare_star_)
Post #: 34
RE: Worth a look - 21/3/2006 2:57:29 PM   
thepluginbaby

It was a bit of a mess in places.  Felt as if what read well in the screenplay or graphic novel didn't translate to well on to the big screen.  That said, Hugo Weaving and Portman put in really good performances.  It was witty in places, and V didn't feel like a conventional hero.  The message it gave was engaging but perhaps it presided to highly in the film's hierachy. 

"I have come to the conclusion that my gut, has shit for brains."

"Must go faster..."

My personal blog, ToBePhair, full of frantic movie/music/video game scribblings: http://tobephair.blogspot.com/

Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/ToBePhair

(in reply to Johnny Pneumonia)
Post #: 35
RE: - 22/3/2006 1:55:13 AM   
dreabea

I've never read the graphic novel, so I'm in no position to compare the two.  I really did enjoy this movie, it was lagging at some points and I probably would've liked it more if some biatch hadn't been yapping for the enitre duration of the movie. Overall, thoroughly enjoyable with a good social message. 

I would like to add that I thought this was Natalie Portman's best role since 'Leon'.  The whole bit about Valerie was just sad... and I think I was very near to becoming teary at the end.

Good fun for everyone.

America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, badass speed. -Eleanor Roosevelt, 1936

Well, I'm sure I'd feel much worse if I weren't under such heavy sedation.
Post #: 36
RE: RE: - 22/3/2006 7:39:06 AM   
livila

I saw V for Vendetta tonight rather liked it - trashy and fun.

The only thing they didn't quite mention is why we celebrate Guy Fawkes - which is because he was caught and exicuted and turned into our bogeyman. I think the movie thought that Guy was some sort of freedom fighter - which he wasn't - but then neither is V....

Interesting tackling terrorism, some of it pretty close to the bone. Nice to see John Hurt in it - and the rest of the very British cast.

I see it didn't make it to the top of the charts in the UK....the Pink Panther did. It's been critically mauled by the Daily Mail no less. Makes me want to run out and watch it again....

(in reply to dreabea)
Post #: 37
RE: Unity - 22/3/2006 10:26:15 AM   
Monkeyshaver

I havenít read the original but this was an almost brilliant film. Hugo Weaving was exceptional & the casting of John Hurt was fun, basically playing Big Brother when twenty odd years ago he played Winston Smith. The flaws can be summed up in 2 words James McTeigue. His direction is flat & lifeless, he canít really create an effective sense of what this dystopian England is like. You donít get a true picture of what V is fighting against, although the flashbacks are pretty good. The performances are great & overall I enjoyed it but I canít help feeling that, in the hands of a more accomplished director this would have been a classic.

Monkeyshaver is currently watching Doctor Who on the office TV.
Post #: 38
RE: V good! (hahahaha) - 22/3/2006 5:13:01 PM   
Paul2j

Absolutely phenomenal film.

Great story, great dialogue, and a great couple of action scenes.  Such a stylish film, which tied everything up well.  The scenes with all the people in V masks was really powerful, and the symbolic meanings of who was in the crowd at the end was bloody awesome.

9/10, and I'm very tempted to give it a 10.  I'll definitely be seeing it again.
Post #: 39
RE: - 22/3/2006 7:25:48 PM   
Dready

I liked it a lot, I'd go and see it again most definataly. V was a great character and Natalie Portmans accent wasnt that bad, although yes it did sometimes sounds Australian. Recommended.

Killer Boots man!!

What's up Harry, some philly break your heart?

Nah, it was a girl!
Post #: 40
RE: RE: - 23/3/2006 2:41:47 PM   
griet

V for Vendetta is supposed to ask more questions than it answers, so I have a few to add to the mix.

Was the reference to the Boston Tea Party a reminder to the US that its nationhood was partly the result of an act of  sedition?
Was the use of the 1812 overture a reminder that ideas such as republicanism and the overthrow of the monarchy can lead to despots such as Napoleon. (or was it just nice firework music)?
Why didn't anyone use the two-fingered V-sign? (I would have thought that symbol of yobbish defiance would have had a place in the movie)
 Is "V" influenced by Tony Harrison's poem "V" ?
Were allusions to Yojimbo in the tube station showdown deliberate or coincidental?
Am I reading too much into this? ;)

BTW I thought the film was brilliant

(in reply to Dready)
Post #: 41
RE: RE: - 23/3/2006 4:38:23 PM   
Ruprecht

quote:

ORIGINAL: griet
V for Vendetta is supposed to ask more questions than it answers, so I have a few to add to the mix.
Was the reference to the Boston Tea Party a reminder to the US that its nationhood was partly the result of an act of  sedition?

Amongst other things, yes.
quote:

Was the use of the 1812 overture a reminder that ideas such as republicanism and the overthrow of the monarchy can lead to despots such as Napoleon. (or was it just nice firework music)?

Both.
quote:

Why didn't anyone use the two-fingered V-sign? (I would have thought that symbol of yobbish defiance would have had a place in the movie)

Too obvious, and not in the comic.
quote:

Is "V" influenced by Tony Harrison's poem "V" ?

No, but he is influence by, amongst other things, Thomas Pynchon's novel "V".
quote:

Were allusions to Yojimbo in the tube station showdown deliberate or coincidental?

Coincidental.
quote:

Am I reading too much into this? ;)

No, you're not reading enough into it. V for Vendetta references almost as much stuff as The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (comic, not the film!). Here's a few of the more obvious influences:
Orwell.
Huxley.
Thomas Disch.
Judge Dredd.
Harlan Ellison's "Repent Harlequin! Said the Ticktockman".
"Catman" and "Prowler in the City at the Edge of the World" by the same author.
Vincent Price's Dr Phibes and the Theatre of Blood.
David Bowie.
The Shadow.
Nightraven.
Batman.
Fahrenheit 451.
The writings of the New Worlds school of science fiction.
Max Ernst's painting "Europe After the Rains".
Thomas Pynchon.
The atmosphere of British Second World War films.
The Prisoner.
Robin Hood.
Dick Turpin.
and that's just for starters...
quote:

BTW I thought the film was brilliant

Of course it was.

(in reply to griet)
Post #: 42
RE: RE: - 23/3/2006 6:13:34 PM   
Gazdance

What a good film.  I've read a few reviews in the papers and most are negative but they seem to have missed the point.  Just because the film is produced by the Waschowski's doesn't mean it's going to be like The Matrix (Producer is different from Director after all).  Of the reviews I've read, on this occasion the Empire one is pretty accurate.

It felt a more relevant film for our times than the likes of Syriana and I enjoyed that it made me think about the parallels with our current state of affairs, as well as entertaining me with the set-pieces and random humour.

4/5

(in reply to Ruprecht)
Post #: 43
A long one - 23/3/2006 8:08:44 PM   
keironb

I though the movie was fantastic, it was clever, well made and slightly inspiring(not that I want to blow stuff up). Everything about the movie was perfect, except for the slight aussie accent, and it came very close to rivaling the likes of Sin City.

Which brings me to my point, why are all the really good movies nowadays all based on comic books(or graghic novels?!?!)? There are lots of good movies out there but none evoke the same emotional reaction as Sin City, Batman(I thought it was awesone) and V. Gangs of New York is probably the only movie that comes anywhere near to them and that movie is how old now? Back in the day if someone told me there was another comic book movie coming out I wouldn't have paid any attention to it but nowadays they are the ones I actually don't mind forking out cash for.

I just think the rest of the genres must catch a wake up because all these comic movies are actually redefining what a good is while at the same time creating pieces of art that are vastly superior to 95% of the other movies out there.

(in reply to jobloffski)
Post #: 44
RE: RE: - 23/3/2006 8:13:15 PM   
livila

Ruprecht,
May I ask if I detected an anti-media slant within the movie too?

(in reply to Ruprecht)
Post #: 45
RE: A long one - 23/3/2006 9:09:45 PM   
adt100

quote:

ORIGINAL: keironb

I though the movie was fantastic, it was clever, well made and slightly inspiring(not that I want to blow stuff up). Everything about the movie was perfect, except for the slight aussie accent, and it came very close to rivaling the likes of Sin City.

Which brings me to my point, why are all the really good movies nowadays all based on†comic books(or graghic novels?!?!)? There are lots of good movies out there but none evoke the same emotional reaction†as Sin City, Batman(I thought it was awesone) and V. Gangs of New York is probably the only movie that comes anywhere near to them and that movie is how old now? Back in the day if someone told me there was another comic book movie coming out I wouldn't have paid any attention to it†but nowadays they are the ones I actually don't mind forking out cash for.

I just think the rest of the genres must catch a wake up because all these comic movies are actually redefining what a good is while at the same time creating pieces of art that are vastly superior to 95% of the other movies out there.

I think that graphic novel adaptations (moreso than traditional comic book adaptations) have a slightly more niche market. There are many people, particularly teenagers males, that absolutely love them. A great number of other film goers though do not and see them as slightly OTT, pretentious works of drivel. I'm somwhere in between. You mention Sin City for example, which I know many people rave about, but when I saw it at the cinema it was one of very few films that I simply could not get into at all. About 45 minutes in and there were times that I really was almost nodding off and had to force myself to keep up with what was going on on screen. Maybe I just wasn't in the right frame of mind when I went, but I think that with these films there is certainly a very strong hardcore following, and for the rest of us it's pretty much meh...

< Message edited by adt100 -- 23/3/2006 9:11:04 PM >

(in reply to keironb)
Post #: 46
RE: RE: - 23/3/2006 11:58:23 PM   
Ruprecht

quote:

ORIGINAL: livila

Ruprecht,
May I ask if I detected an anti-media slant within the movie too?

Of course. Though it does hint at the potential for subversion through the media with Stephen Fry's TV show. The media can be used for good as well as evil.

Cool avatar by the way.

(in reply to livila)
Post #: 47
RE: RE: - 24/3/2006 12:35:56 AM   
livila

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ruprecht

Of course. Though it does hint at the potential for subversion through the media with Stephen Fry's TV show. The media can be used for good as well as evil.

Subversion through the media, often tends to come from comedians....

Just wondered, as everyone is mentioning the obvious governmental attack, I see it also as a satire of the media.
The brief flash of Avian flu, made me think of media manipualation. The portrayal of the UK media as a docile governmental whitewash instrument, must have upset some people.  I just thought it strange that so many newspaper's have slated the movie.
Does our media toe the line with the government? Personally, I feel the media has too much power.

quote:

Cool avatar by the way.

Thanks, it's a great animation.

ETA: several hours later....
Interesting article http://film.guardian.co.uk/patterson/story/0,,1737843,00.html
This pretty much sums up my idea that the government portrayed is far closer to the current USA government than a British one.

< Message edited by livila -- 24/3/2006 6:17:37 AM >

(in reply to Ruprecht)
Post #: 48
RE: RE: - 24/3/2006 9:39:54 AM   
MOTH

A much better film than I expected. Haven't read the comic so can't comment on the adaptation, but I found it entertaining with some food for thought thrown in.
The most successful part of the film is in its commentary on what freeedom means, with some nice (if a bit overstated) parallels with the influence of government, media and propaganda in our world today. In particular, the idea of government creating a climate of fear in the country to gain support should strike a chord with any US viewers. It'll no doubt be dismissed as 1984-lite by some, but it's still a reasonably intelligent attempt to depict such a world within the confines of a Hollywood blockbuster.

Less successful is McTeigues's direction which is desperately  overwrought at times (e.g. juxtaposition between Evey's and V's 'rebirth'), choosing to hammer home a point rather than subtly suggest it. Some misjudged slo-mo and the apparent indestructibility of V steers the film close too close to outright silliness at times, whilst clumsy editing at some stages confuses rather than clarifies.

However, he is well served by good performances from Stephen Rea, Stephen Fry, John Hurt and Hugo Weaving, who despite being masked throughout has the verbal dexterity to deal with V's monologues. On the other hand, Natalie Portman looks lovely, but struggles throughout with her accent and overall doesn't quite convince.

Happily the Matrix-esque action is fairly sparse but what is there tends to detract from the rest of the film - particularly the final showdown which is fairly laughable. Maybe this is a concession to the demand from audiences for action (indeed the trailer seems to include most of these action scenes) but i thought it out of place with the more intelligent aspects of the script. 

Overall, however, I enjoyed it and found it refreshing to see a mainstream Hollywood blockbuster rely more on words and ideas rather than action for once. Worth seeing

< Message edited by MOTH -- 24/3/2006 11:32:54 AM >

I've only gone and set up a blog! This week I've been mostly reviewing The Lego Movie and Wadjda. Click: The Fast Picture Show

(in reply to livila)
Post #: 49
RE: RE: - 24/3/2006 11:30:30 AM   
johndoe

I must say I really enjoyed this film!!   

Having never read the comics (admittedly I'd never heard of it up until about a year ago!!) I had no idea what it would be like.
With the Wachowski brothers involved, you know it's going to be fairly Matrix-like.

The film has great performances from all its stars, most notably Hugo Weaving, who doesn't let a Guy Fawkes mask and silly wig put him off. Natalie Portman actually manages to put on a good English accent, and Stephen Rea is excellent as the pursuer of V.

Despite a lot of talky moments, the film is very gripping, and gives us a bleak look at future London, run by a tyrannical John Hurt.

There is also a fantastic climax, which I will not spoil for you.

See it now!

"I'm 6'5", 220, and there's two of me."

(in reply to MOTH)
Post #: 50
RE: RE: - 24/3/2006 12:42:45 PM   
Paxton

Thoroughly enjoyed it, and was surprised to find myself quite moved at some points.

I'm going out to buy The Watchmen graphic novel now.

'bye.

I drink your milkshake.

Films I am jazzed for:

Not a whole lot these days...

(in reply to johndoe)
Post #: 51
RE: Well done! - 24/3/2006 11:53:35 PM   
Mycroft

Finally got round to this tonight and it lived up to expectations, havent enjoyed a cinema experience this much in ages. There are alot of moments where it potentially could have been ridiculous like the first V scene, but the director, Portman and especially Weaving carried it all off with panache, where the audience did start to feel it was a little over the top the film acknowledged it with humour. There were moments I thought it was strange and against convention, but it came off really well. The Bishop scene was very funny. Can't believe this is his first film, it has such confidence. It also seemed really refreshing and new, and they managed to hold on to the Britishness of it all. They also didnt try to shy away or simplify the idea of V, a few 12 year old girls walked out but most people seemed gripped despite the limited action. What action there was was pulled off well, everyone seemed to be talking about it with enthusiasm on the way out, and trying to piece it together, glad its been rewarded with decent box office 5/5

< Message edited by Mycroft -- 25/3/2006 12:02:32 AM >
Post #: 52
RE: Well done! - 25/3/2006 10:57:46 AM   
Jessica_ca_ca_ca

Finally! I have watched the infamous V in action and how astonished and overwhelmed I was! The film was absolutely incredible.

When I exited the cinema I was still reeling from the gorgeous finale and all I could think was how "lovely" the storyline was. For such a bitter quarrel against a dystopian society, I know the notion of V for Vendetta being "lovely" sounds a little bit odd with a hint of craziness, but that was my initial impression - perhaps it was the beautiful rhythm of Beethoven's Fifth creating that thought?

Admittedly, V did not possess the "shock factor" from the Waschowski's brothers' 'The Matrix', however no one can disagree on how wonderfully the plot and atmophere was laid out for us as the audience. I continually became gripped and intrigued as the plot developed from twists and turns into a stupendous finale. There were no amazing revelations, as I would have expected. Instead, I found the storyline and life of V growing, like a rose, slowly but surely into something more, something greater.

Perhaps I am being a little too fanciful and I am still reeling from the impact of the film, but nonetheless, it is definitely one of my favourite films from this day forward. Hugo Weaving was amazing as the unmasked V, and I think he's right in believing that by never revealing his actual face, V's intentions of vengeance become more purposeful.

The question remains: is the character a terrorist or a hero? It is up to the individual to decide.

5/5 (Portman's dodgy British accent could have swayed me to drop a point, but because she's such an incredible actress and she played the part phenomenally, I'll let it go)

< Message edited by Jessica_ca_ca_ca -- 25/3/2006 10:58:23 AM >

You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling.

(in reply to Mycroft)
Post #: 53
RE: Superb! - 25/3/2006 3:05:16 PM   
rich

Stuck in my mind long after I'd seen it, so it's a great film. The only problem is that I've read 1984, I've seen Brazil and even Gattaca or Equilibrium - dystopia is has been done to death. But despite this it made for great viewing, it was rather worrying in places how normal the city looked in particular shots and the issues of complacency and paranoia are all too relevant. A fairly engaging story, some decent wit in the dialogue and one fantastic action sequence made for a great film.
Post #: 54
RE: Superb! - 25/3/2006 8:40:42 PM   
Groovy Mule

I enjoyed this.  Was impressed with Natalie Portman and her English accent - it is her movie more so than V.  The supporting players Stephen Rea, John Hurt and Stephen Fry also did well with their roles.

This continues the trend of intelligent, politically literate film-making and kept me thinking after I had left the cinema.

Impressive camerawork compliments the acting but some of the quirks which I assume come from the comic, such as V's alliterate opening speech grate somewhat.  Probably slower than fans of the Wachowskis' other work will expect but the film doesn't suffe fo that.

One bit I was not pleased with was that I think I spotted one short piece of stock news footage from the London bombings which I don't feel should have been used, especially given the sensitive nature of the film.

8/10

Check out my movie blog - Box Office Challenge and reviews

http://londonmovieguy.wordpress.com/

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 55
RE: Superb! - 26/3/2006 4:30:41 PM   
doctorolorinbats1975

I came to V For Vendetta not sure what to expect. I hadn't read the Graphic Novel and I had been disappointed with the Matrix sequels, but if it was one thing I knew the Wachowskis couldn't write, it was dumb fluff. Also I am a fan of Hugo Weaving and Natalie Portman, and certainly I'm been overjoyed by the recent renaissance of comic book films and thrillers that harked back to the anarchy of the 70s.

Well, I am very much pleased. V is not a wham banger aimed at attention deficit teenagers, but rather a slowly disturbing study of freedom and terrorism. V, the title character, is masked for the whole film, and yet through Hugo Weaving's voice and graceful mannerisms, you understand what's going on inside his head completely. The guy is a psychopath, but a revolutionary with the tragic flaw of wanting vengeance against those who turned him into a monster.

Also very good is Natalie Portman as Evey Hammond, who has spent her whole life in fear, and due to her strange relationship with V, sometimes abusive, sometimes truly caring (all adding to the study of his fractured psyche) and even if her British accent is a little off, she really does work in providing our POV of a nightmare dystopia, racially and sexually 'pure'. It's this aspect of the film as well as V's plan to succeed where Guy Fawkes failed that will provide plenty of debate, as the film provides a horrific end point of today's society, with references to "America's war", Avian Flu and religious extremists.

Deliberately paced and austerely shot, V is intelligent, compulsive cinema and marks a good debut for James McTeigue. Continuing DC's excellent run of late, it's a unique and very well made thriller.  4/5.
One for the DVD collection.

CG, stop motion, acting, animation, animatronics, whatever, it's 24 lies a second...

Critiquing words for dummies: Pretentious, overrated, sentimental, indulgent, populist.

(in reply to Groovy Mule)
Post #: 56
RE: Superb! - 26/3/2006 7:48:47 PM   
lovewych

Really good film. I was amazed at the bad reviews it had got from papers such as the Guardian and the Times (the Mail review doesn't count. It's not a real paper). What film had they watched? Particularly liked Hurt's backstory seeming like a piss take out of Blair as well as Bush (the bit about being a Tory). Very funny in places too.
Of course this film is like 1984. Try writing anything about totalitarian regimes that doesn't pay homage to it. It's seminal. Anyway, great film, good to see London filmed in a decent way without Dick Van Dyke chipping up, and the best way to cook an egg to boot

Fire in the hole

Lottery, Podium, Dream Ticket

Jesus wants me for a sunbeam

(in reply to doctorolorinbats1975)
Post #: 57
V for Victory - 26/3/2006 7:49:44 PM   
Axel Foley

Earlier in the thread I caught this comment from jobloffski which rather accurately captured what I was feeling:

quote:

The film was actually ABOUT something and regarldess of whether it was an eye opener, a dnagerous piece or an opinion confirmer for people already minded to resist passive obedience of the government of the day, it's just good to see a film that's about something that creates a feeling you don't often get in the cinema.

V for Vendetta makes a genuine attempt to impart something to its audience and it does so through the telling of a quite compelling story. In fact it contains a number of different stories, all woven together in a way such that the message, or should I say idea does not submerge the personal side of the tale, even if it could change the world. Through the creation of a solid, believable, engaging character, as Natalie Portman's Evey is, I bought into the story. And her's is an eventful path to follow

The Wachowski brothers and director James McTiegue do well to concentrate on the smaller events, while weaving in the wider threads around this core. Evey is introduced to Hugo Weaving's V as he rescues her from government agents attempting to rape her after she has broken the authoritarian regime's curfew in order to visit her boss (Stephen Fry in a charismatic mood) for dinner - a date which in itself has a significance towards depicting the film's milieu of government terror.

Evey and V strike up an offbeat, but close relationship, as she finds herself ever more reliant on he for protection, as the police believe her to be complicit in his terrorist actions (and with such artistry deployed in the demoloition of the Old Bailey I think much of the audience found itself uncomfortably inpsired by its demise). Through intercutting V's actions, with events transpiring in England and flashbacks to past events, a three dimensional story is spun within the arena of fear that is the depicted future England.

The events are threaded together with all seemingly connected and although this is complex they serve to support the ultimate ideas of the venture, that citizens can stand up to injustices perpetrated by their rulers. That one's idea can empower a nation to fight back.

Ok there's a cartoonish feel to the powers, from John Hurt's Hitleresque Sutler through to the vile, Nick Griffin like voice of England Prothero, but the comparisons I've just made show that they aren't a million miles from real figures. In fact a number of events in the film are frighteningly close to the world we now inhabit, where men are rounded up and jailed without charge and where innocent civilians can die as acceptable collateral damage. Perhaps most pertinently there is a scene where an innocent bystander dressed in a Guy Fawkes outfit is gunned down by police. Footage of this is later used to communicate the news that the terrorist has been killed. Sounds familiar?

Such linkage to current world events could turn into a series of vignettes, but through concentrating on Evey's story the filmmakers keep the story involving. At times it is poignant, as we learn of her tragic past before, through extreme means, V is able to release her from the mental prison in which she has lived. The imagery is fairly obvious, but I was strangely moved by her re-birth, it was an inspirational moment and wonderfully captured.

Portman does well through it all. Yes her English accent wavers at points, but she delivers a genuine sense of feeling and provides a protagonist for whom I did care for. She's a delicately beautiful presence and her torturing was painful to behold. That she emerges from it glowing with life and empowered and that she conveys that sense of strength is to her great credit. She puts a lot of thought into her character's psychology (not surprising for a psychology graduate) and it shows on screen as she's able to display a range of feelings convincingly (the imagery of her imprisonment will linger long in my mind, with her posture and bearing key in that).

And what of V himself. Much has been of Weaving's visage being hidden throught, but he copes with this seeming hindrance admirably. The gestures he employs, tilts of the head or a raised hand, convey all we need to know. He delivers his lines with gusto and creates a sense of pathos - yes he's probably a crazy person, but a well intentioned one, with a tragic past.

In addition, though he is in a less showy role, Stephen Rea's detective Finch provides a firm counterpoint for the audience. His path is of one who eventually sees the light and it is perhaps he that we can most identify with. We do our best within the world we inhabit and do our best to follow out morals and do the right thing. It takes something special to turn us around, and though the events Finch follows are quite convoluted, his gradual awakening is believable.

Of course the film has weaknesses. I liked it's depiction of London, which manages to be both a reflection of the present age, but also a darker Victorian creation, but the constant flicking across zones to try and demonstrate the plethora of humanity was at times jarring. There is also perhaps to much going on. I'd like to see it again before I say that for sure, but some of the sub-stories seemed distracting (though I did find the evocation of the life of the lesbian actress Valerie to be quite beautiful).

Perhaps the complexity of the story isn't the point. Much like Micahel Haneke's Cache, the story is merely a means for exploring issues. When those issues happen to be as relevant as those in V and so thought-provoking I can forgive such minor faults. V is certainly not a bog standard blockbuster, it aspires to far greater things, and though it may not completely succeed, it's a brilliantly subversive piece of art. One can probably take from it what one wants. At the least it's certainly a compelling two hours of cinema, which left my mind with a number of indelible images and thoughts. Strength through unity, perhaps, but to hell with unity through faith... 8.5/10

quote:

ORIGINAL: meh...

What a brilliant film! I was really expecting to be disappointed due to mixed reviews, but I didn't find the film as incoherent/messy as a lot of these reviews suggested.

Yes to anyone that's been put of by 1 star reviews from the likes of Peter Bradshaw in the Guardian or James Christopher in The Times, I wouldn't worry, V for Vendetta is a far better film than many critics have portrayed. Frankly Bradshaw could've been talking about an entirely different film, which considering his haranguing of Natalie Portman where he seriously described her accent as being South African, who's performance is actually pretty darned good even though the English accent does slip at points, does call into question his ability to review what's happening, rather than allowing personal prejudices to colour his writing. He obviously didn't get it, why else would he criticise the Benny Hill sketch for being condescending towards London, when it was supposed to be a middle finger to the dictator. Anyway I'm glad to see so many positive responses on the forum.

https://twitter.com/Obiwan_desouza
Post #: 58
RE: V for Victory - 27/3/2006 2:36:35 AM   
Benjamin Dover

I saw this film two days ago, and had no expectations whatsoever. I don't read comic books and knew very little about the story before seeing it. Actually if i had any feelings at all going in to the cinema, it was doubt. I don't much like the comic book films who has comed out so far (yeah i know crap english...), and the lead is wearing a mask throughout the movie!

But it was just brilliant! It was such an awakener!

The cast did good, Portmans english wasn't all that bad IMO, and Weaving was superb!

Pretty much everything has been said already i guess, but still, for those who think this has no relevance to current affairs, think again!

Fear IS beeing used actively to make us obliging. England passed a new anti-terror law recently (after the bombings) wich, to the best of my knowledge, is highly debatable. US government gets away with keeping people locked up at Guantanamo Bay for several years at the time without trial or conviction, because they are " a terrorist treath". They invaded Iraq without proper nor correct evidence of it beeing needed, and muslims in general are starting to be viewed almost as criminals without doing anything!

None of this would be possible without the media actively spreading fear. Recently seen in the "Bird flu" incident...

This movie gives us a pointer to how things can evolve, although it is the worst case scenario..

Anyway you look at it, i thought the movie was brilliant, this is one for the history books

6 Waffles now!!! (Thx Uncle Jun)

"Everyones dying to be a Zombie!"-Ted Striker

Keira Knightley talked to me! To me, by my name!!! (Yes online, but still, closest I'll ever get...)

(in reply to Axel Foley)
Post #: 59
RE: v is brilliant - 28/3/2006 2:09:13 AM   
Atomhammer

Thankfully thismovie managed to tick all the right boxes to keep me engaged all except the cringeworthy first 10 minutes with the V for etc etc speech but even then Hugo Weaving manages to make the narrative twaddle seem viable.

I can only winge that some other classic moments from the graphic novel were missing - but considering the successes of this movie i can forgive it for not letting me relive some calss moments form the GN. I guess having seen this it will give me a new perspective on reading the GN all over again. 4/5

~ Do We Believe What We See or See What We believe ~
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: V For Vendetta Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI