The Keep

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> The Keep Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The Keep - 24/11/2012 8:29:05 PM   
Mister Coe

Wow, just flicking through my new TV guide and I've noticed that THE KEEP is showing on Film4 next Friday night!

This is a lost classic from 1983, based on a book that was quite the favourite back in the day, and if memory serves, it's pretty awesome. I say 'if memory serves' because it hasn't been on TV or been on DVD in many a year, so it'll be the first time I've seen it in a very long time, I hope it lives up to expectations!

If nothing else, I remember it has a brilliant Tangarine Dream soundtrack...

Anyone else got any good memories of this one..?

Say what now?
Post #: 1
RE: The Keep - 24/11/2012 9:12:58 PM   
peebottom

Is this the Michael Mann directed "the keep" which has something to do with The Nazi' and the supernatural during WW2.

Must be fate that it's on as I've had a right hankering for his movies recently and this is the only one I couldn't get hold of to watch. I have seen it but can't remember it at all as I was very young. Good spot Mister Coe

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 2
RE: The Keep - 24/11/2012 9:17:52 PM   
clownfoot

The book is marvellous. Much of that kind of gets lost in translation to the big screen (especially the eternal dichotomy between Glaeken and Molasar), but it remains a very interesting movie. Nazis haunted by an evil presence in an isolated Keep is a wonderful concept and there are some genuine chills throughout (Molosar's release for instance). But you can see from the edit that it had a fairly traumatised production process, which just adds to the confusion of the plotting. Byrne, McKellen, Scott Glenn and particularly Jurgen Prochnow are all on top form, but it is probably a book that should be re-visited in celluloid. Saying that, I'll certainly be catching it if it's on Film 4!

Evil Mod 2 - Hail he who has fallen from the sky to deliver us from the terror of the Deadites!

http://www.thepixelempire.net/index.html
http://clownfootsinversemidas.blogspot.com/

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 3
RE: The Keep - 24/11/2012 9:43:49 PM   
Mister Coe

quote:

ORIGINAL: peebottom

Is this the Michael Mann directed "the keep" which has something to do with The Nazi' and the supernatural during WW2.

Must be fate that it's on as I've had a right hankering for his movies recently and this is the only one I couldn't get hold of to watch. I have seen it but can't remember it at all as I was very young. Good spot Mister Coe

One and the same. Really looking forward to seeing if it lives up to teenage memories. Quite a few films don't...

Say what now?

(in reply to peebottom)
Post #: 4
RE: The Keep - 24/11/2012 10:09:46 PM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

ORIGINAL: clownfoot

The book is marvellous. Much of that kind of gets lost in translation to the big screen (especially the eternal dichotomy between Glaeken and Molasar), but it remains a very interesting movie. Nazis haunted by an evil presence in an isolated Keep is a wonderful concept and there are some genuine chills throughout (Molosar's release for instance). But you can see from the edit that it had a fairly traumatised production process, which just adds to the confusion of the plotting. Byrne, McKellen, Scott Glenn and particularly Jurgen Prochnow are all on top form, but it is probably a book that should be re-visited in celluloid. Saying that, I'll certainly be catching it if it's on Film 4!

I read the comic adaption by the author of his own novel and theres a very scathing foreword by him on his feelings towards the film - which he saw as a major disappointment. The comic adaption was his version of the 'film' as he cites. I've yet to see the film so i'll most probably watch it when its on - i remember EMPIRE giving a good review though.

My blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

(in reply to clownfoot)
Post #: 5
RE: The Keep - 26/11/2012 1:06:05 PM   
great_badir

I'll caveat this by saying that I have not read the book, but I think it's a great film. I seem to remember reading something many many years ago that said quite a lot of other stuff was filmed, but ultimately left out of the finished film (which would explain its apparent incomprehensibility and Tangerine Dream's official soundtrack album containing 75% of material that is nowhere to be heard), but I've not seen that anywhere else since, so who knows.

Suffice to say I'm looking forward to Film4's showing of it. Having previously only owned the UK pan and scan VHS release (complete with dreadful print), which is the same as the one on YouTube, I'm interested to see what print they'll be using, as the only widescreen (it was shot in 2.35) one I'm aware of was/is the US laserdisc.

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 6
RE: The Keep - 26/11/2012 1:09:24 PM   
elab49

Ditto Clowny on the book - Wilson was one of those authors you had to go to some effort to find some of his stuff sadly. But I do like the film unlike the author. I keep meaning to try and catch it again to see how much of the fondness survives. I noticed it on one of the non-terrestrial channels in the last week I think. If it was one of the ITVs I should catch it in the next 20 or so showings.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to great_badir)
Post #: 7
RE: The Keep - 26/11/2012 1:58:14 PM   
DancingClown

I will definitely have to watch this again. I saw about half a few years ago and I remember it being very unsettling, very strange. But what I remember the most was being grimly fascinated with, and terrified by the book cover when I was a young boy when I would see it in the horror section of Martin's. Remember that shop? Became John Menzies if I remember.

Astronomic Tune Boy

'The town knew darkness, and darkness was enough.'

"Storm just bleeewwww me away..."

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 8
RE: The Keep - 26/11/2012 2:07:18 PM   
elab49

Oooo - that's the copy I have. Or the same cover.

Keep an eye on the ITVs - I'm sure it was one of those.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to DancingClown)
Post #: 9
RE: The Keep - 26/11/2012 2:36:09 PM   
paulyboy

Crikey, haven't seen The Keep for aaaaaaaaages!, literally 20+ years now.

I have fond memories, the mood, atmosphere and music being particular highlights.

That said I do have vague recollections of a ridculously gratuitious (for the time) sex scene that was more than a little embarrasing to sit watching with my dad in the room!

"Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever!"

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 10
RE: The Keep - 26/11/2012 2:39:52 PM   
fuzzy

Quality. Never seen this but have always heard good things.

Will be setting my Sky+ for Friday!

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 11
RE: The Keep - 26/11/2012 2:54:03 PM   
elab49

Just realised the first post refers to a showing! But this was last week and I don't think it was Film 4.

quote:

(in reply to fuzzy)
Post #: 12
RE: The Keep - 26/11/2012 4:01:16 PM   
great_badir

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
Just realised the first post refers to a showing! But this was last week and I don't think it was Film 4.

Film4, this coming Friday.

Print quality and aspect ratio TBC...

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 13
RE: The Keep - 26/11/2012 8:20:29 PM   
evil bill

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mister Coe

Wow, just flicking through my new TV guide and I've noticed that THE KEEP is showing on Film4 next Friday night!

This is a lost classic from 1983, based on a book that was quite the favourite back in the day, and if memory serves, it's pretty awesome. I say 'if memory serves' because it hasn't been on TV or been on DVD in many a year, so it'll be the first time I've seen it in a very long time, I hope it lives up to expectations!

If nothing else, I remember it has a brilliant Tangarine Dream soundtrack...

Anyone else got any good memories of this one..?

OHHH!! yes i've always been a fan of this film from the first time i saw it on ye old rented VHS tape,and it's got plentu of fans on Weird/Strange thread,and i'm so gald to here it's on Film4.Finally i'll be able to have it recorded on DVD,for though i still have the VHS copy,i've no VHS player anymore,though i do hope the Film4 showing is not like the VHS tape,IE Pan Scan.It was shot in widescreen,and that's the way it should be seen,and i still love this classic cult film,here's the re vamped review.
THE KEEP 1983

A detachment of WW2 German Soldiers (commanded by Jurgen Prochnow) is sent to guard a mysterious Romanian Keep located on a strategic mountain pass in Carpathian Alps.The Nazis ignore villagers' warnings and also of a Orthodox monk (Robert Prosky)about a weird presence inside the keep.When one of the soldiers unwittingly releases an unknown spirit trapped within the walls,one of the soldiers is mysteriously killed.An SS officer(Gabriel Byrne) arrives to deal with what is thought to be partisan activity,but soon he realizes this is far more than some human force,and with no way of combating the force,they have no option but to seek the aid of a Jewish man (Ian McKellen) and his daughter (Alberta Watson), who are both knowledge about the history/myth of the keep,and who can also translate signs vital to combating the menace/force of evil within the walls of The Keep .

This underrated movie packs action, violence, terror, suspense with creepy and eerie scenarios into it's all but to short running time.The story is based on F.Paul Wilson's novel and thankfully he also wrote the screenplay with Michael Mann also involed in the screemplay,who directed this classic cult film.Now i believe there is finally a fully restored version,that was seen at the BFI,who helped track down and restore lost footage with Mann also involed.It got a showing at the BFI with Mann there to talk about it,and the fact it had been taken from his control after he did the final cut,back in 1983.For on it's original release it got butchered by the distributor Paramount,and so there are many different endings and spins on the story,due to a lot of additional footage that was dropped and re editing all with out Mann or Wilson's imput.This cut ended being a critical and commercial failure,though it has took on a life of it's own among cult film lovers,and i would love to see the restored version which though not complete,is going by reviews of those that seen it at the BFI,very close to the book,as both Mann and Wilson planned.

With a great cast of mainly British actors, impressive production design,colourful use of fog,lights and the dark,and as you'd expect of a Mann film,cinematography is stunning.Now script wise it's a bit of a mess and this is due to the hack job down by the film company,who took Manns finished work,and decide they could do better.Still there's the bonus of a superb creepy soundtrack,of music composed by Tangerine Dream,which if you have the CD of it,is now imposable to get,so hang on to it.

Michael Mann,as we know became a successful director and screenwriter with films like Manhunter,Last of the Mohican's, Heat,Insider, Ali, Miami vice etc).Yet his one and only powerful horror movie,gets overlooked by many,and this is a real shame.He loved the book and after making Theif 1981,he wanted to get away from crime films,and wanted to really go to town in style and vision,but Paramount where hoping for a ALIEN type film,and got a film they just did not understand.I know it has it's faults,but on a overall view of a film that cost less than $6 million to make,which even back in the 80's was a small budget,it still packs a punch.Very Lovecraft inspired,a real Gothic horror surreal thriller,that still looks great,but needs to be fully restored and given the full HD treatment in both sound and vision,so come on Paramount get your finger out.7/10 

"You listen to me now,i will find you and i will kill you!"

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 14
RE: The Keep - 26/11/2012 8:37:15 PM   
Mister Coe

Wow, lotsa love for THE KEEP!

I just hope that, after watching it on Film4, everybody doesn't hate it and blame me for wasting their time!

Say what now?

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 15
RE: The Keep - 26/11/2012 9:42:19 PM   
clownfoot

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

I think you're referring to Tremors which is on ITV4 in an HOUR AND TWENTY MINUTES.

Oh and I don't think anyone will be disappointed by The Keep following this forewarning. It's an extremely intriguing movie with some great bits (the atmosphere is fantastic); it just seems to have the potential for so much more. If anything, it will make you more keenly look out for a copy of the marvellous book (which I happened upon after watching the flick a good few years back).

Evil Mod 2 - Hail he who has fallen from the sky to deliver us from the terror of the Deadites!

http://www.thepixelempire.net/index.html
http://clownfootsinversemidas.blogspot.com/

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 16
RE: The Keep - 28/11/2012 10:43:52 AM   
hozay

I haven't seen this since it first screened at the cinema, great film. I've mentioned this on here before, maybe in the Weird / Strange thread or somewhere.
I love the opening sequence in this and there's also a (if memory serves me) a fantastic pan shot from darkness to sunrise when Scott Glenn is on a boat.

(in reply to clownfoot)
Post #: 17
RE: The Keep - 30/11/2012 11:40:33 PM   
Mister Coe

So, THE KEEP is starting in half an hour or so, would love to watch it 'live' but I've got a really early start tomorrow so seeing as it was me that started the thread, let me know what you thought of it, I'll try and catch up with you all later.

Say what now?

(in reply to hozay)
Post #: 18
RE: The Keep - 1/12/2012 2:06:15 AM   
Nexus Wookie

Just finished watching The Keep. Really tired so i'm off to bed. I'll post my thoughts tomorrow. Goodnight forumites!

My blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 19
RE: The Keep - 2/12/2012 2:47:03 AM   
Mister Coe

So,as I started this thread, I'll give the first opinion...

I bloody loved it. It made me seek out the original novel, really wanna read it! A great cast (didn't remember that Sir Ian McKellern and Gabriel Byrne were in it!) and a visual style, whilst looking a bit dated, was atmospheric and something that films today should look at and say... yeah that's cool...

This movie DEMANDS a full-on, remastered Blu-Ray (hopefully with a shotload of extras)!

And can I just say that ALL our lives would be much better if they were soundtracked by Tangerine Dream...

So, what do you guys think?

Say what now?

(in reply to Nexus Wookie)
Post #: 20
RE: The Keep - 2/12/2012 1:07:27 PM   
peebottom

The massive tit that I am, I rushed out on Fri night and totally forget to set it for sky plus.

I'll just have to hope Film4 re-run it again at some point.

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 21
RE: The Keep - 3/12/2012 12:51:40 AM   
Mister Coe

quote:

ORIGINAL: peebottom

The massive tit that I am, I rushed out on Fri night and totally forget to set it for sky plus.

I'll just have to hope Film4 re-run it again at some point.

I'll keep an eye out for you, mate.

Say what now?

(in reply to peebottom)
Post #: 22
RE: The Keep - 18/1/2013 7:05:17 PM   
DancingClown

On again this Saturday. Must remember to watch it.

Astronomic Tune Boy

'The town knew darkness, and darkness was enough.'

"Storm just bleeewwww me away..."

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 23
RE: The Keep - 23/1/2013 4:47:07 PM   
elab49

I think Tangerine Dream did do great soundtracks - Sorceror's still works where a lot of the other electro-pop ones just don't. Not that all of this is Tangerine Dream anyway. But The Keeps doesn't. Ripping it out and replacing it with a less out-dated soundtrack would improve it immensely IMO.

quote:

(in reply to DancingClown)
Post #: 24
RE: The Keep - 23/1/2013 5:40:41 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

Been meaning to comment on this film having watched it last Saturday.

The film,though it certainly had its strong points, did feel on occasions to feel abit patchy and the first half of the film didn't flow as strongly as the last hour.

I liked the combination of fantasy and the grounded realism,something of which worked brilliantly in Pans Labyrinth.
Also Mann created a good sense of fear,dread and wonderment in the sense of what really is the Keep?,whats it hiding?intriguing questions.

The films cinematography and visual craftsmanship was of a good,experimental standard.You could certainly get a freshness in the angles of which Mann was placing his camera and the sense of a early slow-mo coming into play,thankfully Mann kept that visual idea to a bear minimum ie take note Snyder.

The acting,as with most early directorial films,tends to swing from one set of established performances to some mild/average ones.
I was really impressed with Jurgen Prochnow performance,who for me carries the film.I was also impressed with Scott Glenns performance as the films distant savior.The performances of Gabriel Byrne (who I'm a fan of),Ian McKellen and Alberta Watson unfortunately didn't leave alot for the imagination as these performances,for me,were somewhat stiff and character-ish.

As with most 80's and early 90's films the sense of a music-video-vibe implementing in certain scenes certainly was played in through alot of circumstances and there was a (very) strong sense in experimentation in that process.Some scenes worked extremely well with the music while other scenes ,with the soundtrack, seemed somewhat unnecessarily and intrusive/overbearing.Which is a shame because I generally liked the music that was used and something of which I'm going to be seeking out in the near future.

So,all in all I'm glad I watched it.
As early directorial films go I thought it stood-up well,even if it finished on a rather cliched route.

< Message edited by OPEN YOUR EYES -- 23/1/2013 6:03:24 PM >

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 25
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> The Keep Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI