Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Chromebook | Chromebox

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Knowledge Base >> Chromebook | Chromebox Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Chromebook | Chromebox - 24/11/2012 11:02:09 AM   
homersimpson_esq

I'm thinking it's time I upgraded my PC. I use a Netbook but have it connected to my TV with a USB mouse and keyboard, so it's effectively being used a desktop PC. (One with a 42" screen... )

Anyway, I heard about the Chromebook ages ago and thought it sounded nifty except for the need to always be connected. Recently however I saw the Chromebox, basically the same thing but a higher powered box with no screen, mouse, or keyboard. But, since I have those components already, that's irrelevant. Since I have WIFI at home, the "always on" need becomes a non-issue, because the Internet is always on at home.

I have no desire to move over to a Mac. Mainly because of cost, but also because I've been a PC user all my life and I'm not sure I can be bothered re-learning a whole other system, even if it is more "intuitive".

Anyway, I wondered if anyone had any experience of Chromebooks/Chromeboxes. I realise they're "web-based", but now have some offline content too. Can one download other programs or is everything done from the browser? The Box is more sensible than the Book - I can still keep my Netbook for the small times I want to carry a computer around - but it's too slow for general use. The Chromebox sounds like a good alternative, considering the majority of the stuff I do is web-based anyway. Even Word/Excel files can be opened via Google Docs, considering I only have an Office "starter" pack with the Netbook anyway, I don't feel I'll be losing much in terms of usability.

Or is it just easier to get a desktop tower and do it old-school?

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.
Post #: 1
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Knowledge Base >> Chromebook | Chromebox Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI