Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Scenes that were scary when you were a child, and still are.

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> Scenes that were scary when you were a child, and still are. Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Scenes that were scary when you were a child, and still... - 23/11/2012 8:51:39 AM   
Sotto Voce

A while back I watched The Last Starfighter, a movie I vaguely remembered from childhood containing an image of a hideous, pale, pulsating face that was pretty scary. I thought if I watched it again, it would probably be quite different to how I remembered it, and not scary at all. No. It was still rather disturbing. Anyone know the scene?

All things digested have a similar hue.
Post #: 1
RE: Scenes that were scary when you were a child, and s... - 23/11/2012 9:11:15 AM   
Russ Whitfield

I watched the Exorcist when I was too young to watch it. If I see a clip of it on Top 100 horror movies or something like that, the nightmares come back.

Maybe I should watch it again?

www.soldiergirlsmovie.com/
www.i-spimovie.com/

(in reply to Sotto Voce)
Post #: 2
RE: Scenes that were scary when you were a child, and s... - 23/11/2012 9:17:34 AM   
Harry Tuttle

The dream sequence in An American Werewolf in London shit me right up when I was younger. I stil find it gives me the odd shiver now although I'm not sure if it's the film or the memory of being terrified that's causing it.

< Message edited by Harry Tuttle -- 23/11/2012 9:18:02 AM >

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to Russ Whitfield)
Post #: 3
RE: Scenes that were scary when you were a child, and s... - 23/11/2012 11:15:22 AM   
DancingClown

I think it's fairly natural that if you see a horror film at a very young age you're gonna find them scary. What interests me is scary scenes in films that aren't horror. I was watching Moonraker again recently for the first time in years and I remembered how bloody scared I was of the scene where Jaws comes striding down that dark alleyway in Rio dressed as a huge fucking clown.

Horrible. And it still sent a shiver down me even now. Same with the scene where Drax sets his dogs onto Corinne Dufour and she goes running off into the woods. Nasty. And it surprised me again, considering it's probably the jokiest of all the Bond films. But then Moonraker was possibly my first ever Bond film when I was little so the experience is somewhat engrained.

It's still easy to remember being terrified of various scenes in Raiders. I was so scared as a kid I thought it was a horror film.

And Superman III, of course. No thread like this is complete without it.

Astronomic Tune Boy

'The town knew darkness, and darkness was enough.'

"Storm just bleeewwww me away..."

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 4
RE: Scenes that were scary when you were a child, and s... - 23/11/2012 11:47:56 AM   
Judge

The child catcher in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, although I'm pretty sure he shat everyone up. Great performance.

Also, the scene in The Sixth Sense where the bullies lock Cole in the cupboard and all you hear is screams really terrified me. Arguably it's more shocking to me now that I understand the unseen ghost is that of a punished slave with a grudge.

< Message edited by Judge -- 23/11/2012 11:50:48 AM >

(in reply to DancingClown)
Post #: 5
RE: Scenes that were scary when you were a child, and s... - 23/11/2012 12:20:39 PM   
Deviation

None, because I grew up and I fear nothing, not even death.

(The bit in Labyrinth where the heads just keeps going off still creeps me)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to Judge)
Post #: 6
RE: Scenes that were scary when you were a child, and s... - 23/11/2012 12:27:14 PM   
Gazzafella

The scene in Watership Down when the shadows of the trees turn into blood running down a hill still frightens the bejeesus out of me.

Also the animated version of the Hound of the Baskervilles.....dear lord.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 7
RE: Scenes that were scary when you were a child, and s... - 23/11/2012 12:32:28 PM   
Happy Shrapnel

When I was a kid, they used to do those double bill horror films late at night......
There was two that freaked me out........

I can't remember the names of the movies but there were two scenes in particular.

One, I'm pretty sure was a Frankenstein film, a guy is in a sewer and you don't see the monster, but his hands just seem to come out of the shadows to grab the guy from behind.

The second movie, was set in a cursed house, there is a group of people sat round having a meal and there is a big portrait above the fire. Out of the portraits mouth comes this yellow tongue that spits something into the back of some womans neck, when they examine her they find like a metal bolt stuck in there.

Never seen either of these movies again !!!! Wish I could remember what they were !

In John Le Mesurier's last words........

' Its All Been Rather Lovely '

Happy Trails

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 8
RE: Scenes that were scary when you were a child, and s... - 23/11/2012 12:42:25 PM   
Antonius Block

Maybe I was 10 when I saw Planet of the apes on TV. At the end, when you see the statue of liberty I understood that mankind one day will be no more, it sent a chill through me that is so far unmatched. Have not seen the fim again but recalling the scene still gives me the shivers, it's existential.

(in reply to Happy Shrapnel)
Post #: 9
RE: Scenes that were scary when you were a child, and s... - 23/11/2012 12:49:53 PM   
homersimpson_esq

End thread.

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to Antonius Block)
Post #: 10
RE: Scenes that were scary when you were a child, and s... - 24/11/2012 2:52:37 PM   
Scruffybobby

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle

The dream sequence in An American Werewolf in London shit me right up when I was younger. I stil find it gives me the odd shiver now although I'm not sure if it's the film or the memory of being terrified that's causing it.

The one with the Nazi demon beasties?

For me it's the one where he's in the hospital bed in the woods and he wakes up with the pale demon face. That still gives me the willies now.

< Message edited by Scruffybobby -- 24/11/2012 2:53:52 PM >

"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." - Robin Williams

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 11
RE: Scenes that were scary when you were a child, and s... - 24/11/2012 3:57:19 PM   
rich

quote:

ORIGINAL: DancingClown

I think it's fairly natural that if you see a horror film at a very young age you're gonna find them scary. What interests me is scary scenes in films that aren't horror. I was watching Moonraker again recently for the first time in years and I remembered how bloody scared I was of the scene where Jaws comes striding down that dark alleyway in Rio dressed as a huge fucking clown.

Yeah I can remember this being creepy as a kid. But now it's about as silly as the rest of the film... perhaps it's because at the time I was too young to get the tone in films like that and it was creepy in equal to the pyramids bit in the previous Spy Who Loved Me.

I guess I will go with Star Trek II. Ear things. etc.

Meanwhile...

Post #: 12
RE: Scenes that were scary when you were a child, and s... - 24/11/2012 5:49:35 PM   
boaby

The Painting coming alive in Ghostbusters II.

Seeing the skinned person in Predator. Those medical teaching aids showing muscle and such still freak me out.

"Aberdonians, and with some degree of purpose and right on their side, have absolute contempt for Glasgow. There is a side of Aberdonians who, let's be absolutely honest about this, feel so superior to Glasgow that you can measure it by the yard."

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 13
RE: Scenes that were scary when you were a child, and s... - 24/11/2012 9:40:52 PM   
paul_lfc

In Die Hard 2 there's a brief cockpit view of the Tarmac through the front plane window that I just think is horrible

(in reply to Sotto Voce)
Post #: 14
RE: Scenes that were scary when you were a child, and s... - 24/11/2012 9:42:42 PM   
Whistler

Any scene with the Wicked Witch of the West, she genuinely scared the hell out of me. Even though all you need to kill her is a glass of water.

Cole getting trapped in a closet with a ghost in The Sixth Sense.

The Wonka one homer posted.

quote:

ORIGINAL: DancingClown

Horrible. And it still sent a shiver down me even now. Same with the scene where Drax sets his dogs onto Corinne Dufour and she goes running off into the woods. Nasty. And it surprised me again, considering it's probably the jokiest of all the Bond films. But then Moonraker was possibly my first ever Bond film when I was little so the experience is somewhat engrained.

Jaws freaked me out too. I can't remember a particular scene that scared me most, but I remember struggling to sleep after watching The Spy Who Loved Me...

Post #: 15
RE: Scenes that were scary when you were a child, and s... - 25/11/2012 11:39:32 PM   
DJ Rob C: Mark II!

quote:

ORIGINAL: homersimpson_esq

End thread.

Yep, those two

When Gotham is ashes, you have my permission to die

Third Highest Post Count on the Forum, sad but proud!

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 16
RE: Scenes that were scary when you were a child, and s... - 26/11/2012 4:07:23 PM   
jcthefirst

quote:

ORIGINAL: Whistler

I remember two scenes from The Sixth Sense that scared a 14 year old me. One is when they're in the school and Cole sees the three bodies hanging. Still freaks me out to this day.

And the bit where he gets up to pee and something whooses past the door.

You know, I don't think I've seen that film since the cinema.

@Jonny_C85

My Movie Blog | My Other Various Rantings Blog

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 17
RE: Scenes that were scary when you were a child, and s... - 26/11/2012 10:45:58 PM   
Whistler

quote:

ORIGINAL: jcthefirst

quote:

I remember two scenes from The Sixth Sense that scared a 14 year old me. One is when they're in the school and Cole sees the three bodies hanging. Still freaks me out to this day.

These too. I could've picked any number of scenes from that film that freaked me out - and still do.

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 18
RE: Scenes that were scary when you were a child, and s... - 27/11/2012 12:10:41 AM   
Ref

Easy - the 1981 Clash of the Titans and the fight against Medusa:~

Click Here!

I'm still shit-scared of it.

Viewers of a nervous disposition may be interested to know that your television is off and I am speaking to you from inside your head...

Hugh Dennis, Mock the Week

Icon created by the talented JaD

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 19
RE: Scenes that were scary when you were a child, and s... - 27/11/2012 5:50:54 AM   
Tidus

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: jcthefirst

quote:

These too. I could've picked any number of scenes from that film that freaked me out - and still do.

The bit under the table when the girl is being sick scared me, I saw this at cinema when i was 12, still think that bits scary

I'm not here, this isn't happening

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 20
RE: Scenes that were scary when you were a child, and s... - 28/11/2012 10:58:38 PM   
Powka

Chucky.

Well suck me sideways!

(in reply to Tidus)
Post #: 21
RE: Scenes that were scary when you were a child, and s... - 29/11/2012 12:24:35 AM   
endjinnoil

Not a film, but the vampire kid at the window in Salems Lot. Many a happy nightmare through the years 'cos of that!

(in reply to Powka)
Post #: 22
RE: Scenes that were scary when you were a child, and s... - 30/11/2012 9:38:53 AM   
Chronicle

A lot of scenes from E.T. Especially the one in the beginning where he bumps into E.T. in the high grass.

(in reply to endjinnoil)
Post #: 23
RE: Scenes that were scary when you were a child, and s... - 2/12/2012 2:34:06 PM   
nvh1982

Janosz eyes when they light up in the dark hallway in Ghostbusters 2 - CREEPY!

http://cinematicscreenings2012.blogspot.co.uk/

(in reply to Chronicle)
Post #: 24
RE: Scenes that were scary when you were a child, and s... - 3/12/2012 12:40:33 AM   
Mister Coe

Not a film, but two words that still make my blood run cold...

Mister Nosibonk.

I'd managed to suppress all memories until Charlie Brooker brought him up in one of his programmes... jesus, I swear when HE came on, my heart clenched in my chest and all the hairs on the back of my neck went all shivery-horrible...

Say what now?

(in reply to nvh1982)
Post #: 25
RE: Scenes that were scary when you were a child, and s... - 3/12/2012 2:18:13 AM   
Shifty Bench

Yeah, Mr Noseybonk is the devil but you do realise that I have to show a photo of him now, right?

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 26
RE: Scenes that were scary when you were a child, and s... - 3/12/2012 2:29:47 AM   
Mister Coe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shifty Bench

Yeah, Mr Noseybonk is the devil but you do realise that I have to show a photo of him now, right?

You just HAD to do that... is that revenge for our little misunderstanding last week?

Joking aside... seriously, who the fuck ever thought that shit was suitable for kids?

Say what now?

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 27
RE: Scenes that were scary when you were a child, and s... - 8/12/2012 3:16:38 AM   
max314

Sharptooth in The Land Before Time.

MAX

Laying the 314 on your candy ass.

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 28
RE: Scenes that were scary when you were a child, and s... - 8/12/2012 8:11:14 AM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mister Coe
You just HAD to do that... is that revenge for our little misunderstanding last week?

Joking aside... seriously, who the fuck ever thought that shit was suitable for kids?

Fuck knows. It's horrifying.

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 29
RE: Scenes that were scary when you were a child, and s... - 8/12/2012 6:00:35 PM   
kumar

Live action jungle book, where this guy is chasing Mowgli and he runs into some quicksand. I remember the scene being drawn out a bit with some over head shots as he struggles, sinks and slowly becomes fully submerged in it. Uncomfortable viewing to say the least!

"Darth Silas - I love Craig as Bond too. Genius. "- Jackmansgirl 15/7/2008

Last films watched:

The Road - 4/5
Chronicle - 4/5
Twilight Breaking Dawn p1 - 1/5
Warrior - 5/5
Super 8 - 5/5
Paranormal Activity 3 - 3/5
MI 4 - 2/5

(in reply to Sotto Voce)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> Scenes that were scary when you were a child, and still are. Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI