Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Top Films Watched End of November and December 2012

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Top Films Watched End of November and December 2012 Page: <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Top Films Watched End of November and December 2012 - 30/11/2012 1:54:35 PM   
MOTH

Cheers, chaps.
Works best if you sing it in the style of Michael Buble. Blog review features a second verse incidentally.

I've only gone and set up a blog! This week I've been mostly reviewing The Lego Movie and Wadjda. Click: The Fast Picture Show

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 211
RE: Top Films Watched End of November and December 2012 - 30/11/2012 2:03:33 PM   
scarface666brooksy!!

To be honest, I don't think any Bond film reaches five star quality for me with the exception of maybe Goldfinger which reaches pretty damn close.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle

As for Brosnan, He was a very good James Bond but was given nothing but crap to work with.

Pretty much this, but I also disagree slightly. I have a lot of time for Brosnan and I actually like all of his Bond films (minus the woeful Die Another Day) to a degree. Goldeneye was a lot of fun, Tomorrow Never Dies had Michelle Yeoh and some cool sequences and World Is Not Enough had Sophie Marceau who I will eternally have a crush on. I wouldn't class any of them as being top tier Bond except for maybe Goldeneye.

I haven't seen a lot of the Moore or Dalton films for ages mind, so my perspective isn't exactly clear I just really love Skyfall. Probably would make my Top Ten for 2012 at this stage.

< Message edited by scarface666brooksy!! -- 30/11/2012 2:06:37 PM >

My Aussie Film Thread - Film #7 - Patrick (1978)

(in reply to MOTH)
Post #: 212
RE: Top Films Watched End of November and December 2012 - 30/11/2012 2:12:40 PM   
garvielloken

Don't think I'll be watching anything tonight so November looks like this:

Akira (1988 Katsuhiro Otomo)
Robocop (1987 Paul Verheoven)
Predator (1987 John McTiernan)
The Cranes are Flying (1957 Mikhail Kalatozov)
Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill! (1965 Russ Meyer)
Sátántángo (1994 Belá Tarr)
Princess Mononoke (1997 Hayao Miyazaki)
In the Mood for Love (2000 Wong Kar-wai)
The Straight Story (1999 David Lynch)
Viridiana (1961 Luis Bunuel)
The Shining (1980 Stanley Kubrick)
The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (1948 John Huston)
Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter... and Spring (2003 Kim Ki-duk)
Leon: The Professional (1994 Luc Besson)
Les Vacances de Monsieur Hulot (1953 Jacques Tati)
Survey Map of a Paradise Lost (1988 Hisayasu Sato)
Easy A (2010 Will Gluck)
M (1931 Fritz Lang)
Last Year at Marienbad (1961 Alain Resnais)
Syndromes and a Century (2006 Apichatpong Weerasethakul)
Van Helsing (2004 Stephen Sommers)
Ip Man (2008 Wilson Yip)
Killer Joe (2012 William Friedkin)
Anatomy of Hell (2004 Catherine Breillat)
Jour de Féte (1949 Jacques Tati)
Rope (1948 Alfred Hitchcock)
Miller's Crossing (1990 Joel Coen)
Men in Black 3 (2012 Barry Sonnenfeld)
36 Fillette (1988 Catherine Breillat)
Dark Shadows (2012 Tim Burton)
Red Tails (2012 Anthony Hemingway)
The Woman (2011 Lucky Mckee)
Ted (2012 Seth MacFarlane)
Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter (2012 Timur Bekmambetov)
Une vraie jeune fille (1976 Catherine Breillat)

Exactly six miles north of Skagg Mountain in the Valley of Pain, there lives an evil devilmonster. His name is Bingo Gas Station Motel Cheeseburger With A Side Of Aircraft Noise And You'll Be Gary Indiana.

Razzle them, dazzle them. Razzle dazzle them.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 213
RE: Top Films Watched End of November and December 2012 - 30/11/2012 2:13:20 PM   
Rhubarb

With Brosnan, I'm always going to be a protective because he is my Bond, I suppose, it was via Goldeneye that I discovered the whole thing. I think my rating of him has gone down over the years, but mainly because of the films - While Goldeneye I still think holds up fantastically, Tomorrow Never Dies is mostly pretty good, TWINE is all over the place, and Die Another Day is woeful, apart from the first section, before he gets handed over, which I think works really well.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

You organisational skills sicken me, Rhubarb.

(in reply to scarface666brooksy!!)
Post #: 214
RE: Top Films Watched End of November and December 2012 - 30/11/2012 3:17:41 PM   
Deviation

quote:

Tomorrow Never Dies is mostly pretty good, TWINE is all over the place

You got those two mixed up. My fondness with Brosnan Bond has pretty much died. It's not because of Brosnan as said, the film's he worked with where never very good, not even Goldeneye has held up to my estimation.

TABU (Miguel Gomes, 2012, POR/GER/FRA/BRA)- TABU is a great film, it is a beautiful film, it is a stunning film and the most interesting European film in ages. Split in two parts, it tells the story of Aurora, a woman who is still huanted by her past. In the first part, mostly seen by a Catholic UN worker with a desire to help everyone, meets Aurora and her African maid and takes close care of Aurora. The first part, Paradise Lost, is an austere and somber drama set around a few days, wonderfully acted, with excellent dialouge and the direction filled with tiny touches that are just splendid. Part Two is Paradise, narrated by a character who has met Aurora back in colonial Portugal, and the film becomes a silent melodrama of sorts (no dialouge is heard other then the narration and letters), set around a couple of months before a colonial war till the start of it, telling the story that has so haunted Aurora in the past with actors who look as if they just stepped off an RKO classic. The first part is the strongest, the second part the most audacious and engaging, both telling a story of people stuck in a saudade (and possibly a country or a certain group of people, I've heard of Portuguese who were born and lived in Africa, about 2 million today, who still consider themselves African from my father, a people who prefer the way time and passions are percieved in Africa then dreary Portugal), a story that is a love-letter to older times and a classical time in cinema, a beautiful love poem telling a story of regret and nostalgic longing, it's rather perfect. The second half could have been a bit livelier with all the experimentation and PASSIONS going on within it, IT'S AUTOMATIC PORTUGUESE/BRAZILIAN STEREOTYPE SAUDADE, but that's just a minor complain.

It also has a droll sense of humor and one of the most playful and amusing openings I've ever seen. And crocodiles.

Holy Motors (Leos Carax, 2012, FRA/GER)- Carax film can be called a series of vignettes strung by a hint of sci-fi plot, verging from subtle and sweet to batshit insane and in one moment, infuriantingly dull, and most of it works beautifully. It is full of vigour and imagination, startling images, symbolism and occasionally, really and really funny, amusing and unexpected. Mentioning some of the stuff seen here would be spoiling it. There's the problem of a certain "appointment" and that what Carax seems to be saying with all of this is a whine about digital filmmaking (which he used for making this film) and about how everything is becoming tinier, but he mostly jokes about and keeps it tounge-in-cheek, so he doesn't seem totally series about it. Which is fine, if only the narrative structure didn't feel so repititive after the sixth and seventh appointment and the eight wasn't the dullest and most protracted thing I've seen this year, then I would have full marks.

It's a much better movie then Pixar's Cars.

ParaNorman (Chris Butler, Sam Fell, 2012, USA)- It's the Pixar film we didn't seem to be getting by Pixar themselves, full of wit and fun, beautiful animation, emotional maturity, visually stunning and really funny jokes. The problems lies in the funny bits coming only in the second act, but the rest, including some legit great horror imagery, is pretty much excellent.

Killer Joe (William Friedkin, 2011, USA)- Remember when McConaughey could act? No wait, I do cause I love Lone Star. Remember the last time Friedkin made a legit great film? I don't because I still haven't seen To Live and Die in LA and Bug, so for me, it's been eons ago. Like, back in the time when elab witnessed Methelusah's birth. But fear not, or fear a lot, because Killer Joe is here. A Southern Gothic comedy of errors, stupid, immensely stupid errors, where the errors lead to horrible, immensely horrible and lurid consequences, about an idiot drug dealer who has his drug stash stolen and from his mother and with his idiot redneck family and incredibly aloof sexy, very sexy sister, hire an incredibly smart cop and killer to kill the mother and get her inheritence. It all goes wrong because everyone's an idiot. It parades in idiocy, Friedkin and Letts laugh and snark at their idiocy, and it is so well made, so well acted especially by McConaughy who gives a genuinely chilling performance as Killer Joe, so well scripted and so well directed by Friedkin and so bueatilly lit and framed, I was fully engrossed. It's occasionally very lurid (it has ruined chicken drumsticks for me, FOREVER) that it almost begs the point on what Letts and Friedkin are meaning here other then playing around with Southern Gothic tropes, but it's so well made I at the end couldn't care.

Did I mention that the sister was sexy? Is this ephebophilia? Surely not because the censors allowed Juno Temple fully naked. Right? RIGHT?! It's not like lusting over Penolope Cruz in Jamon Jamon, which would be legal in Spain I think. OH GOD I'M RATING THIS FILM A BIT LOWER JUST FOR THE INNER TURMIOL IT GAVE ME. I feel all Polanski now.

The Guard (John Micheal McDonagh, 2011, IRE)- It must suck to be McDonagh, you finally make a very good movie that is likeable and as clever as your brother's work, but the only thing you think of is that the execution and overall quality is simply not as good as his more talented brother work. It's funny, Gleeson is excellent as the offensive, unorthodox cop who is also rather loveable, it does what McDonagh did very well in In Bruges, that is mixing comedy with philosophy and emotion quite well and it is mostly as well directed as his brother's other work, but is let down by the endless barrage of cultural references delivered with the subtlety of Tarantino in Death Proof. But it is fun, it is very good, it is funny and it is full of fun characters being fantastically performed. It's it's very good.

(It's just not In Bruges)

Man on the Train (Patrice Leconte, 2002, FRA/GER/UK/JAP)- This is very good, if a bit overdone towards the end, but it is a charismatic and engrossing small story about a criminal befriending a poetry teacher who share a desire of wanting to have lived a different life.

Io Sono Li, Shun Li and the Poet (Andre Segre, 2011, ITA/FRA)- A visually gorgeous and charming, if a little too lighthearted considering the theme t is examining, story about a Chinese mother who goes to an Italian seaside town to work in a bar and later get the "news" about her son. There she befriends a Slavic immigrant referred as "the poet" and start a close friendship, which causes suspicion among the Poet's friends. It's good natured, it's entertaining and the third act is unpredictably but effectively emotional. It's not remarkable, the entire theme of the relations between the Chinese and Italian nationals seems too safe, but as a story about a close friendship which is destroyed by prejudices within Italian society, it is quite touching. And it stars Serbedzija, who is as usual, awesome.

To Have and Have Not (Howard Hawks, 1944, USA)- I'm going to avoid comparisons with Casablanca (Casablanca is way better btw), so I'm going to talk about simply Hawk's film. It's good, very good in fact, with the Bogart/Bacall stuff being excellent, the dialouge witty, very likeable and the direction mostly excellent. Problem comes when it is seen as a thriller, which it never truly kickstarts and when it is about to threaten to start, it ends the scene or simply ends the movie, but the interplay between characters is so fun that this is forgiven. There's also a musical number too many which for some reason, is separated from all the action to the extent that the film stops just to focus on it. Kinda disappointing considering the talent scripting and directing it, but for what it does well, it does very well and it is just worth watching just for that.

Magic Mike (Steven Soderbergh, 2012, USA)- It's good, very good in some areas and in some occasions. Sodenbergh's direction is as always, classy, and Tatum, McConaughy, Munn and Horn give great performances. It looks stunning and features a good soundtrack, with Magic Mike being a fun character. Sadly, the other characters are cardboard cut-outs, including if not especially Pettyfer who has a bulk of screentime and there is not much going on in the film outside of Mike's dilemma and changing arc. Great striptease sequences too. No really, they're great, and not just because of the hulky men.

The Amazing Spider-Man (Marc Webb, 2012, USA)- This entry starts very good and ends up being rubbish. The first half is pretty good as the Raimi Spiderman where thanks to the strong cast and strong chemistry between Garfield and Stone and Garfield and Sheen, even if let down because they fuck up Peter Parker's character arc and some stupid bits (not Raimi stupid either which worked for what it was, just stupid with the whole tone of the damned thing), the second half is just rubbish with a poorly written Lizard, action sequences which are rarely riveting, the relationship between Spidey and the city, one of the things that made the Raimi Spidey so effective, almost completely gone, trite dialouge, the worst soundtrack I've had the mispleasure to listen to (will James Horner just quit?) in fucking ages, poor CGI and a shockingly poor design for Lizard.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 215
RE: Top Films Watched End of November and December 2012 - 30/11/2012 3:42:51 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation

Did I mention that the sister was sexy? Is this ephebophilia? Surely not because the censors allowed Juno Temple fully naked. Right? RIGHT?! It's not like lusting over Penolope Cruz in Jamon Jamon, which would be legal in Spain I think. OH GOD I'M RATING THIS FILM A BIT LOWER JUST FOR THE INNER TURMIOL IT GAVE ME. I feel all Polanski now.

How old do you have to be to fuck in Malta? Juno Temple is in her early 20s.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 216
RE: Top Films Watched End of November and December 2012 - 30/11/2012 3:45:29 PM   
elab49

Is it a rule to go with that 'remember when' sentence on McConaughey in the reviews of Killer Joe? Did no-one see Lincoln Lawyer but me?

And did Dev go out of his way to make me read a bannable offence

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 217
RE: Top Films Watched End of November and December 2012 - 30/11/2012 3:47:08 PM   
Deviation

Sexual acitivity is technically allowed at 18, with people over 18 having sexual encounters with those under 18 ending up accused and trialed for defilement. It's one of the oldest in Europe.

I was more referring to how old Juno Temple's character is in Killer Joe

quote:

There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 218
RE: Top Films Watched End of November and December 2012 - 30/11/2012 3:55:42 PM   
MOTH

quote:

Is it a rule to go with that 'remember when' sentence on McConaughey in the reviews of Killer Joe? Did no-one see Lincoln Lawyer but me?

Heh, heh. I like how Dev turned the joke back on Friedkin though. In your face, Friedkin!
so, is this Lincoln Lawyer actually worth seeing ? I had utterly dismissed it as reviews all seemed meh

I've only gone and set up a blog! This week I've been mostly reviewing The Lego Movie and Wadjda. Click: The Fast Picture Show

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 219
RE: Top Films Watched End of November and December 2012 - 30/11/2012 3:56:29 PM   
Rhubarb

If you have to ask, then the answer is that its wrong.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

You organisational skills sicken me, Rhubarb.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 220
RE: Top Films Watched End of November and December 2012 - 30/11/2012 3:57:09 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation

Sexual acitivity is technically allowed at 18, with people over 18 having sexual encounters with those under 18 ending up accused and trialed for defilement. It's one of the oldest in Europe.

I was more referring to how old Juno Temple's character is in Killer Joe

I think she's meant to be about 19/20. So in the event you ever have sex with a fictional girl from Texas, I think you'll be fine.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 221
RE: Top Films Watched End of November and December 2012 - 30/11/2012 4:12:26 PM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: MOTH

quote:

Heh, heh. I like how Dev turned the joke back on Friedkin though. In your face, Friedkin!
so, is this Lincoln Lawyer actually worth seeing ? I had utterly dismissed it as reviews all seemed meh

Review blindness - I'd say the ones I read were pretty decent

There's a slightly Rockford vibe IMO. Very decent watch.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to MOTH)
Post #: 222
RE: Top Films Watched End of November and December 2012 - 30/11/2012 4:34:13 PM   
MOTH

quote:

Review blindness - I'd say the ones I read were pretty decent

There's a slightly Rockford vibe IMO. Very decent watch.

This is quite possible.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 223
RE: Top Films Watched End of November and December 2012 - 30/11/2012 5:26:35 PM   
Rebel scum

Thank christ for that MR James boxset, or I'd have had a terrible November:

1. Machuca (Wood, 2004)
  2. Skyfall (Mendes, 2012)
  3. When Harry Met Sally...(Reiner, 1989)
  4. Lost Hearts (Clark, 1973)
  5. Whistle and I'll Come to You (Miller, 1968)
  6. A Warning To The Curious (Clark, 1972)
  7. Gregory's Girl (Forsyth, 1981)
  8. Number 13 (Wilkie, 2006)
  9. Control (Corbijn, 2007)
  10. The Ash Tree (Clark, 1975)
  11. A View From A Hill (Watson, 2005)
  12. The Treasure of Abbot Thomas (Clark, 1974)
  13. Love and Death (Allen, 1975)
  14. The Stalls of Barchester (Clark, 1971)
  15. Primal Species (Winfrey, 1996)

"We are not safe! A dark menace rises to the east! Duckies go quack! Cows go moo! I want ice cream. Verily, will you two hobbits join my quest?"

(in reply to MOTH)
Post #: 224
RE: Top Films Watched End of November and December 2012 - 30/11/2012 5:32:51 PM   
elab49

Not a good time to say I'd have them in the TV list then?

quote:

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 225
RE: Top Films Watched End of November and December 2012 - 30/11/2012 5:36:10 PM   
Rebel scum

quote:

Not a good time to say I'd have them in the TV list then?

Actually, I don't have a TV list, so I stuck them in this one instead. IT COUNTS!

"We are not safe! A dark menace rises to the east! Duckies go quack! Cows go moo! I want ice cream. Verily, will you two hobbits join my quest?"

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 226
RE: Top Films Watched End of November and December 2012 - 30/11/2012 5:42:26 PM   
rawlinson

Elab's a t.v. Nazi, which is why it's always funny to include t.v. shows on film lists.

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 227
RE: Top Films Watched End of November and December 2012 - 30/11/2012 6:02:14 PM   
Deviation

Carlos, Fanny and Alexander or The Millenium Trilogy must have caused quite a dilemma.

quote:

quote:

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 228
RE: Top Films Watched End of November and December 2012 - 30/11/2012 6:17:18 PM   
elab49

Not really, no. Certainly not as much as the Beeb's TV ghost stories for Xmas

And totally calling Godwin's.

quote:

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 229
RE: Top Films Watched End of November and December 2012 - 30/11/2012 8:17:26 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

Not really, no. Certainly not as much as the Beeb's TV ghost stories for Xmas

And totally calling Godwin's.

You are a bit of a Nazi. You're not Hitler. More like Herr Flick.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 230
RE: Top Films Watched End of November and December 2012 - 30/11/2012 8:19:26 PM   
impqueen

November

01.    Deep End (Jerzy Skolimowski, 1970) UK/GER
02.    The Edge of the World (Michael Powell, 1937) UK 
03.    Nashville (Robert Altman, 1975) USA
04.    Amour (Michael Haneke, 2012) AUT/FR/GER
05.    Let Him Have It (Peter Medak, 1991) UK
06.    We Need to Talk About Kevin (Lynne Ramsay, 2011) UK
07.    Top Hat (Mark Sandrich, 1935) USA
08.    The Master (Paul Thomas Anderson, 2012) USA
09.    Jagten / The Hunt (Thomas Vinterberg, 2012) DNK
10.    For All Man Kind (Al Reinert , 1989) USA

11.    The Plague of Zombies (John Gilling, 1966) UK
12.    The King of Comedy (Martin Scorsese, 1983) US
13.    Shadow of a Doubt (Alfred Hitchcock, 1943) USA
14.    Three Dangerous Ladies (Alvin Rakoff/Robert Fuest/Don Thompson, 1977) UK
15.    The Thing From Another World (Christian Nyby, 1951) USA       
16.    Christmas in Connecticut (Peter Godfrey, 1945) USA
17.    Silver Linings Playbook (David O. Russell, 2012) USA
18.    Sightseers (Ben Wheatley, 2012) UK
19.    Once Upon a Time in the Midlands (Shane Meadows, 2002) UK
20.    The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie (Ronald Neame, 1969) UK

21.    Argo (Ben Affleck, 2012) USA
22.    De rouille et d'os / Rust and Bone (Jacques Audiard, 2012) FR/BEL
23.    Control (Anton Corbijn, 2009) UK
24.    The Cabin in the Woods (Drew Goddard, 2011) USA
25.    The Three Amigos (John Landis, 1986) USA
26.    The Raid (Gareth Evans, 2012) BSN/USA
27.    Galaxy Quest (Dean Parisot, 1999) USA
28.    Brave (Mark Andrews/Brenda Chapman, 2012) USA
29.    The Dark Knight Rises (Christopher Nolan, 2012) USA/UK
30.    An Affair to Remember (Leo McCarey, 1957) USA

31.    Broken Arrow (Delmer Daves, 1950)
32.    The Electric Horseman (Sydney Pollack, 1979) USA 
33.    The Sterile Cuckoo (Alan J Pakula, 1969) USA
34.    Magic Mike (Steven Soderbergh, 2012) USA
35.    The Master of Ballantrea (William Keighley, 1953) UK 
36.    Contagion (Steven Soderbergh, 2012) USA
37.    Machuca (Andres Wood, 2004) CHL/SPN/UK/FR
38.    Fast Five (Justin Lin, 2011) USA
39.    War of the Buttons (John Roberts, 1994) UK/FR/JPN
40.    The Decoy Bride (Sheree Folkson, 2011) UK

41.    Ted (Seth MacFarlane, 2012) USA
42.    Immortals (Tarsem Singh, 2011) USA
43.    Total Recall (Len Wiseman, 2012) USA/CAN
44.    Transformers: Dark of the Moon (Michael Bay, 2011) USA

< Message edited by impqueen -- 30/11/2012 8:20:09 PM >

Yes, always.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 231
RE: Top Films Watched End of November and December 2012 - 30/11/2012 9:15:09 PM   
paul_ie86

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rhubarb
TWINE is all over the place.

Pick it up then.

My Group Project's facebook page. Please like

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 232
RE: Top Films Watched End of November and December 2012 - 30/11/2012 10:01:20 PM   
Qwerty Norris

Time for a wee copy & paste job.

181. SIGHTSEERS (Ben Wheatley, 2012)

MINOR SPOILERS

Equally as unsettling as Kill List, but tonally completely different (it's very funny - although you'll need to share its extremely dark sense of humour in order to find yourself chuckling). It has a pleasingly honest portrayal of how the dynamics of a relationship in its infancy can operate (all being with a heightened serial killer angle), specifically regarding our eagerness to please our other half & the hurtful feeling when it's not acknowledged. All of which is set amongst a bang-on-the-money depiction of the frequently dreary British countryside holiday experience & all the little absurdities / rubbish tourist destinations it conjures up along the way. You may also recognize some of the portrayals of obnoxious / self-righteous people in Britain our two protagonists encounter (as well as the odd perfectly innocent one), which in a twisted way, makes Chris & Tina's murderous antics strangely satisfying.

One of the most unlikely enchanting love stories of recent years & definitely up there with my films of the year. I'm certainly struggling to think of better one to originate from Britain in 2012 anyway. Great usage of 'The Power Of Love' by Frankie Goes To Hollywood as well.

4/5

On a side note; top spidey review MOTH , although I'm more on the side of Dev (good to see you enjoyed Holy Motors ) in thinking it was mostly crap - with both Garfield & Stone largely papering over its many cracks.

Qwerty's Top 10 of 2013 (so far)

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
9. The Place Beyond the Pines
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to paul_ie86)
Post #: 233
RE: Top Films Watched End of November and December 2012 - 30/11/2012 11:49:33 PM   
scarface666brooksy!!

My November

The Seventh Seal (1957, Bergman, 1st viewing) (Nov)
The Tree Of Life (2011, Malick, 2nd viewing) (Nov)
Bande a part (1964, Godard, 1st viewing) (Nov)
My Winnipeg (2007, Maddin, 1st viewing) (Nov)
Howl's Moving Castle (2004, Miyazaki, 1st viewing) (Nov)
Skyfall (2012, Mendes, 1st viewing) (Nov)
Dead Man's Shoes (2004, Meadows, 1st viewing) (Nov)
The Ladykillers (1955, Mackendrick, 1st viewing) (Nov)
Dave Chappelle's Block Party (2005, Gondry, 1st viewing) (Nov) (Doco/Concert Film)
Rashomon (1950, Kurosawa, 1st viewing) (Nov)
Joint Security Area (2000, Park, 1st viewing) (Nov)
Safety Not Guaranteed (2012, Trevorrow, 1st viewing) (Nov)
Alphaville (1965, Godard, 1st viewing) (Nov)
Le Mepris (1963, Godard, 1st viewing) (Nov)
Lawless (2011, Hillcoat, 1st viewing) (Nov)
Total Recall (2012, Wiseman, 1st viewing) (Nov)
Death Race (2008, Anderson, 2nd viewing) (Nov)
Visitor Q (2001, Miike, 1st viewing) (Nov)
Masculin Féminin (1966, Godard, 1st viewing) (Nov)

My Aussie Film Thread - Film #7 - Patrick (1978)

(in reply to Qwerty Norris)
Post #: 234
RE: Top Films Watched End of November and December 2012 - 1/12/2012 12:24:28 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

November

36. Skyfall (1st view, 2012, Sam Mendes) - 4/5*
43. Casino Royale (3rd view, 2006, Martin Campbell) - 4/5
56. Conspirators Of Pleasure (1st view, 1996, Jan Svankmajer) - 4/5*
67. Gregory's Girl (3rd view, 1981, Bill Forsyth) - 4/5
72. Quantum Of Solace (2nd view, 2008, Marc Foster) - 4/5
88. Argo (1st view, 2012, BEn Affleck - 4/5*
132. The Ides Of March (1st view, 2011, George Clooney) - 4/5*
151. Control (1st view, 2007, Anton Corbijn) - 4/5*

178. Salvage (1st view, 2009, Lawrence Gough) - 3/5*
180. Martha Marcy May Marlene (1st view, 2011, Sean Durkin) - 3/5*
183. Rock Of Ages (1st view, 2012, Adam Shankman) - 3/5*
192. Mirror Mirror (1st view, 2012, Tarsem Singh) - 3/5*
210. War Of The Buttons (1st view, 1994, John Roberts) - 3/5*
213. Foxy Brown (1st view, 1974, Jack Hill) - 3/5*

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to scarface666brooksy!!)
Post #: 235
RE: Top Films Watched End of November and December 2012 - 1/12/2012 10:15:45 AM   
matty_b

Collateral (Michael Mann)

Some massive coincidences aside, I've always found this to be one of Mann's most purely enjoyable films. It helps that he keeps the run time to under two hours and efficiently wrings as much tension as he can out of Tom Cruise's hitman forcing Jamie Foxx's taxi driver to ferry him around at night to carry out his five hits. Cruise gives one of his better performances, striking a nice creepy/funny vibe and Foxx is pretty engaging as an ordinary guy trying to survive on his gut instincts, while Mann's penchant for gazing at the neon emptiness of a modern city perfectly suits the mood of the piece. (4)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 236
RE: Top Films Watched End of November and December 2012 - 1/12/2012 10:55:56 AM   
TRM

Features:
Wall-E - 5 (Andrew Stanton, 2008)
Hard Boiled - 5 (John Woo, 1992)
The Docks of New York - 4 (Joseph von Sternberg, 1928)
Gregory's Girl - 4 (Bill Forsyth, 1981)
La ronde - 4 (Max Ophuls, 1950)
Le Plaisir - 4 (Max Ophuls, 1952)
Control - 4 (Anton Corbijn, 2007)
I shot Jesse James - 4 (Samuel Fuller, 1949)
Aliens - 4 (James Cameron, 1986)
On the road - 3 (Walter Salles, 2012)
Picnic at Hanging Rock - 3 (Peter Weir, 1975)
Alien 3 - 3 (David Fincher, 1992)
Sirocco - 3 (Curtis Bernhardt, 1951)
Mata Hari - 2 (George Fitzmaurice, 1931)
Alien: Resurrection - 2 (Jean-Pierre Jeunet, 1997)

Shorts:
Presto - 5 (Doug Sweetland, 2008)
Burn-E - 5 (Angus MacLane, 2008)
Sunnyside - 4 (Charles Chaplin, 1919)
The Bodyguard - 4 (Joseph Barbera & William Hanna, 1944)
The Zoot Cat - 4 (Joseph Barbera & William Hanna, 1944)
Baby Puss - 3 (Joseph Barbera & William Hanna, 1943)

I'm going out to the states to redeem the social outcasts. My only real ambition is to cultivate Texas. I love Texas. You must watch "The last picture show". That film! It was my first real sexual relationship.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 237
RE: Top Films Watched End of November and December 2012 - 1/12/2012 11:03:48 AM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: TRM

Features:

quote:

(in reply to TRM)
Post #: 238
RE: Top Films Watched End of November and December 2012 - 1/12/2012 11:11:07 AM   
TRM

quote:

quote:

Features:

It was the film I knew you and Rawls would both pick out this month

I'm going out to the states to redeem the social outcasts. My only real ambition is to cultivate Texas. I love Texas. You must watch "The last picture show". That film! It was my first real sexual relationship.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 239
RE: Top Films Watched End of November and December 2012 - 1/12/2012 12:34:42 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

Gregory's Girl - 4 (Bill Forsyth, 1981)

Didn't you used to hate that film? That's a real improvement if so, maybe you won't have really good films getting stupidly low scores this mon...

quote:

On the road - 3 (Walter Salles, 2012)

Oh, never mind.

(in reply to TRM)
Post #: 240
Page:   <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Top Films Watched End of November and December 2012 Page: <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI