Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Top Films Watched End of November and December 2012

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Top Films Watched End of November and December 2012 Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Top Films Watched End of November and December 2012 - 29/11/2012 8:59:57 AM   
MOTH

Is this where i post reviews now? I'll take a chance...

Ted (Seth McFarlane, 2012)
"Look for the bear profanities, the simple bear profanities, forget about plot worries and plot cares...." Like a lot of childhood teddies, this is a bit patchy. On the one paw there's some funny jokes and game performances from the likable cast. On the other paw, there's a lot of unfunny jokes, lazy plotting and an over-reliance on hit-and-miss 80s references. As TED Talks go, it's not really an idea worth spreading. (5/10)

I've only gone and set up a blog! This week I've been mostly reviewing The Lego Movie and Wadjda. Click: The Fast Picture Show

(in reply to Beetlejuice!)
Post #: 181
RE: Top Films Watched End of November and December 2012 - 29/11/2012 10:59:22 AM   
matty_b

The Piano (Jane Campion)

Rugged, unkempt with a certain feral beauty to it - AND THAT'S JUST HARVEY KEITEL'S COCK AMIRITE.

Anyway, Hunter is very good, flitting through the film like an anguished ghost, but the rest of it just left me cold, aside from the nice location shooting. (3)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to MOTH)
Post #: 182
RE: Top Films Watched End of November and December 2012 - 29/11/2012 12:39:03 PM   
KnightofZyryab

I've lost my list - I'll guess I have to piece it together using my photographic memory ...

The Master

There were several moments in The Master where I asked myself - what is it I am watching? The film moves at a funereal pace and is an almost circular narrative, with Joaquin Phoenix's Freddie Quell continually returning to Philip Seymour's Hoffman Lancaster Dodd, leader of the movement of The Cause, for guidance. It's an extremely testing film for audiences with several themes woven into it, but ultimately it's an absorbing experience anchored by phenomenal performances. Joaquin Phoenix is staggering - both figuratively and literally - as Freddie Quell, a de-mobilised sailor roving with no purpose in life until he meets the charismatic Lancaster Dodd. His face perpetually twisted into a palsy (perhaps as a result of PTSD from the war), Phoenix plays Quell, an aggressive alcoholic, as a man on a knife edge, forever ready to burst, his unpredictability belied by his drawling, languid demeanor and hunchback posture. As the man seeking to 'heal' him through The Cause's hypnotic processing rituals, Hoffman is similarly fantastic as Lancaster Dodd, the charismatic centrifuge around which people are blindly drawn. In one terrific sequence, a presumably drunk Quell watches on as Dodd sings and dances to an enraptured audience composed in Freddie's eyes of completely naked women. Throughout the film Freddie we assume to be intoxicated, which takes on another meaning here as he sees the level of zealous devotion given to Dodd by his band of unquestioning believers, while he is simultaneously worked upon and indoctrinated by Dodd. The relationship between the two men is fascinating, particularly for Dodd's interest in the forever running, nomadic Quell. We can perhaps understand why Freddie is drawn to the aura exuded by Dodd, but the attraction vice versa is relatively unclear - Quell is an oddity to Dodd, a man completely devoid of purpose where he sees purpose in everything through The Cause. The way Phoenix and Hoffman play off each other is simply brilliant to watch, one constantly pulling away, the other constantly cajoling and enticing. The beautiful cinematography and another magnificent score from Jonny Greenwood (arguably the most unique composer in cinema today) heightens the film's nebulous atmosphere and creates one of the most alien experiences you'll experience in a cinema for a long time. Apt I guess because it will alienate a lot of audiences (probably responsible for the film's poor release distribution across the country) but it's one of the most fascinating, utterly absorbing films I've ever seen.

Imminent viewings : The Place Beyond the Pines

Read my blog at: http://alcentrodelaberinto.blogspot.com/

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 183
RE: Top Films Watched End of November and December 2012 - 29/11/2012 12:43:27 PM   
elab49

Knight, your list is on page 2, Beetlejuice managed to copy them from some kind of internet archive/cache thingy.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to KnightofZyryab)
Post #: 184
RE: Top Films Watched End of November and December 2012 - 29/11/2012 12:46:24 PM   
KnightofZyryab

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

Knight, your list is on page 2, Beetlejuice managed to copy them from some kind of internet archive/cache thingy.

Ah brilliant, I swear I looked through that page but obviously not hard enough

Imminent viewings : The Place Beyond the Pines

Read my blog at: http://alcentrodelaberinto.blogspot.com/

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 185
RE: Top Films Watched End of November and December 2012 - 29/11/2012 12:51:06 PM   
Qwerty Norris

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gram123

I honestly don't care where Stand Up goes, but I've been including a (separate) Stand Up list in the Top 100 Films Watched threads since 2010, as was okayed at the time.

Fair dos. Didn't realise it was signed off at the time this thread started.

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

They're concert films. Perfectly valid. Not to mention lots of them have had cinematic releases over the years (Raw, Original Kings of Comedy, lots of Pryor concerts, Jesus Is Magic, Comedian) and some (Pryor's 79 set, for example) are so highly regarded that they've made greatest films lists. They'd class under the documentary category, if nothing else. I don't see how they're more suitable for the t.v. list, tbh. They're neither t.v. or radio broadcasts.

They're not really "films" though either. The only thing they really share in that regard is the length. I guess there's a case for things like 'Stop Making Sense', 'Don't Think' & certain music gigs, but stand-up? I'll give you the odd Pryor gig appearing in the cinema though - even if it was more of a special one day release kind of thing.

I think Gram hit the nail on the head when he/she mentioned the lack of a 'concert thread.' Just my opinion, but if someone watched 100 "films" in a year, yet half of them were stand-up, recordings of gigs or cinema screenings of live theatre/opera productions, it would kind of defeat the purpose of assembling a "films I've watched" list in the first place. At least for me anyway...

Apologies for rocking the boat, just didn't realise how loosely the word film was being used. I'll shut up now.

Qwerty's Top 10 of 2013 (so far)

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
9. The Place Beyond the Pines
10. Wreck-it Ralph
Post #: 186
RE: Top Films Watched End of November and December 2012 - 29/11/2012 1:42:04 PM   
Gimli The Dwarf

88. Argo (1st view, 2012, Ben Affleck) - 4/5*
Better than The Town, perhaps not as good as Gone Baby Gone. Arkin, Goodman and Cranston were all excellent but disappeared for too many stretches of the film, and the charactesr came to the fore in their absence weren't that that interesting.

< Message edited by Gimli The Dwarf -- 29/11/2012 1:58:08 PM >

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!
Post #: 187
RE: Top Films Watched End of November and December 2012 - 29/11/2012 4:03:31 PM   
Qwerty Norris

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gram123

I was thinking about these list threads, and I would almost be happier if we had everything listed in one thread, split into as many sub-sections as we like. Films, Shorts, Documentaries, Theatre Shows, Stand Up, TV / Radio / Podcast Series watched, Albums listened to, Live Gigs attended, Books read, Games played etc
But only almost.
Cos i) the discussion in the thread would be all over the place; ii) imagine if an inadvertent thread deletion happened when it had everything in it; and iii) I think I'd feel a bit odd presenting every bit of entertainment I consume all in one place. It'd be like saying "here's my sad life in one unhealthy, market-researchable capsule"...

Haha, indeed. God only knows how many pages this thread would amass it everything was included.

I only really have the energy to concentrate on films and even then I don't always find the time to "review" them all. Peoples' ability to do lists of almost anything imaginable in an entertainment/arts sense kinda scares me. They must commute a lot!

Qwerty's Top 10 of 2013 (so far)

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
9. The Place Beyond the Pines
10. Wreck-it Ralph
Post #: 188
RE: Top Films Watched End of November and December 2012 - 29/11/2012 6:53:03 PM   
Rebel scum

92-Gregory's Girl (Forsyth, 1981) 8/10

This is a wholly personal mark, judged as impartially as possible the film's a high 9 or so. It's just that having been that socially awkward teen makes it really hard for me to watch and knocked it down a few places. Plus, a nice PE teacher? Consider my disbelief un-suspended! Otherwise, it's a really nice comedy that provides a perfect antidote to all the American Pie "Let's all fuck!" mentality of modern teen movies. It got some laughs out of me (WTF penguin) and the cast were all great.

"We are not safe! A dark menace rises to the east! Duckies go quack! Cows go moo! I want ice cream. Verily, will you two hobbits join my quest?"

(in reply to Qwerty Norris)
Post #: 189
RE: Top Films Watched End of November and December 2012 - 29/11/2012 10:42:50 PM   
Beetlejuice!

142. Sin Nombre - 7/10
A film more concerned with the human relationships than the gang culture it portrays which is a welcome addition as the violence never feels overly exploitive. However there are a couple of decisions that the lead female makes that doesn't sit so easily within the film and overall the film has some pacing issues. Still, an interesting and welcome viewing experience.

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 190
RE: Top Films Watched End of November and December 2012 - 30/11/2012 12:28:48 AM   
scarface666brooksy!!

Skyfall (2012, Mendes, 1st viewing)

This is probably the best Bond film made in 30 years. No hyperbole, no exaggeration. Skyfall is the first time in a fair while where I think the film could work outside of the Bond mythology. It's tried and true at the same time as breaking ground. There are definitely many Bond elements, catchy one-liners, excellent set-pieces, Bond and beautiful women, but there's stylistic changes and certain nuances that make Skyfall stand outside of all the recent Bond films, and nearly every Bond film. It feels more like a Connery Bond in a way, but also modern at the same time. Sam Mendes (Jarhead, American Beauty) has crafted an excellent film. The cast is pitch-perfect (especially Judi Dench and Jarvier Bardem) and Craig is superb as ever. The narrative is one of the best in Bond history, and the plot never feels like there is a weak moment. As for the look of the film? Oh boy, it's a visual treat. One of the most beautiful looking films in the entire series, Mendes has always been a great visual director and he has out-done himself with Skyfall. Even if you're one of those weird weird people who don't like Daniel Craig or James Bond in general, it's still worth a watch.

< Message edited by scarface666brooksy!! -- 30/11/2012 12:29:12 AM >

My Aussie Film Thread - Film #7 - Patrick (1978)

(in reply to Beetlejuice!)
Post #: 191
RE: Top Films Watched End of November and December 2012 - 30/11/2012 1:11:34 AM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: scarface666brooksy!!

This is probably the best Bond film

All you needed.

(in reply to scarface666brooksy!!)
Post #: 192
RE: Top Films Watched End of November and December 2012 - 30/11/2012 1:36:25 AM   
scarface666brooksy!!

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

quote:

This is probably the best Bond film

All you needed.

It's definitely Top 5 material. Definitely better then every Roger Moore Bond that's for sure.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 193
RE: Top Films Watched End of November and December 2012 - 30/11/2012 1:38:29 AM   
Rhubarb

NO.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

You organisational skills sicken me, Rhubarb.

Post #: 194
RE: Top Films Watched End of November and December 2012 - 30/11/2012 1:41:52 AM   
scarface666brooksy!!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rhubarb

NO.

But in all seriousness, I don't dislike Roger Moore or anything but at this point in time I like Skyfall more then any Moore Bond. Although I do love Man With The Golden Gun primarily because of Christopher Lee.

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 195
RE: Top Films Watched End of November and December 2012 - 30/11/2012 9:45:37 AM   
MOTH

The Amazing Spiderman (Marc Webb, 2012)
Spiderman, Spiderman,
Does whatever the other Spiderman film can
Spins an origin story, with some wit,
Garfield's good, Lizard's shit
Look Out!
Here comes the alright Spiderman.
(6/10)

< Message edited by MOTH -- 30/11/2012 9:46:23 AM >

I've only gone and set up a blog! This week I've been mostly reviewing The Lego Movie and Wadjda. Click: The Fast Picture Show

Post #: 196
RE: Top Films Watched End of November and December 2012 - 30/11/2012 10:18:06 AM   
matty_b

Killer Joe (William Friedkin)

So that's what the notorious fried chicken scene is about. And yup, it's pretty gross. It fits perfectly into the context of the film, however, as a white-trash family hire crooked cop/gun for hire Joe Cooper (Matthew McConaughey) to bump off their estranged mother/wife for the insurance money. Needless to say, things don't go to plan and the film boils itself up into a quite extraordinary climax. It is very, very blackly comic from the start, with a crackling sense of sleaze to it, but even knowing that going in doesn't really tell you how fucked up that ending is going to be. Put it this way, I have not laughed at anything harder this year than I did the final line and reaction shot of the film, simply for its pure audacity amongst the bloodshed and um, inventive use of fried chicken products. And I don't think I've enjoyed any performance more this year than McConaughey's - the notion that he was once heir to the Tom Cruise throne of premier Hollywood heartthrob well and truly ground to dust in a turn that's equally terrifying and hilarious. (4.5)

quote:

(in reply to MOTH)
Post #: 197
RE: Top Films Watched End of November and December 2012 - 30/11/2012 12:42:29 PM   
rick_7

quote:

ORIGINAL: MOTH

Spiderman, Spiderman,
Look Out!
(6/10)

*applauds*

*Wendy Hiller fanboy*

Blog: DJANGO! DUMBO! DESPICABLE ME 2! Plus: other stuff.

"Nothin's really been right since Sam the Lion died."

(in reply to MOTH)
Post #: 198
RE: Top Films Watched End of November and December 2012 - 30/11/2012 12:49:50 PM   
rick_7

*SPOILERS*
Wanderlust (David Wain, 2012)
– A woman wearing too much make-up (Jennifer Aniston) and Paul Rudd (Paul Rudd) chance upon a hippy commune and, after first bidding it goodbye forever, decide it’s where they should spend the rest of their lives – pending a two-week trial. It’s his decision to go back there, but it’s she who blossoms, by which the film means that she flashes her tits, wipes her arse with some leaves and shags Justin Theroux’s pretentious slimeball. This mystifyingly misfiring comedy from the people who brought you Wet Hot American Summer (muted applause), The Baxter (exuberant applause) and Role Models (sheepish cheering) has a couple of massive laughs at the start, benefits from Rudd’s typically amusing performance and boasts a strong cast on paper, but is pointlessly confrontational, emotionally vapid and ultimately nothing more than a string of barely-connected, clichéd set-pieces, each more desperate than the last. If you find yourself watching a film, thinking, “I could probably have written this”, that’s usually a bad sign. Especially if your next thought is: “I’m fucking glad I didn’t.” (2)

< Message edited by rick_7 -- 30/11/2012 12:52:52 PM >

*Wendy Hiller fanboy*

(in reply to rick_7)
Post #: 199
RE: Top Films Watched End of November and December 2012 - 30/11/2012 12:52:03 PM   
rick_7

I have reserved this spot so I can do whatever I want here.

BOOBS.

*Wendy Hiller fanboy*

(in reply to rick_7)
Post #: 200
RE: Top Films Watched End of November and December 2012 - 30/11/2012 12:55:40 PM   
matty_b

quote:

(in reply to rick_7)
Post #: 201
RE: Top Films Watched End of November and December 2012 - 30/11/2012 1:06:37 PM   
rick_7

I haven't been around much lately. Are all the reviews on the old thread lost forever?

*Wendy Hiller fanboy*

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 202
RE: Top Films Watched End of November and December 2012 - 30/11/2012 1:10:39 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

ORIGINAL: rick_7

I haven't been around much lately. Are all the reviews on the old thread lost forever?

Like... tears in rain.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to rick_7)
Post #: 203
RE: Top Films Watched End of November and December 2012 - 30/11/2012 1:17:12 PM   
rick_7

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle

quote:

ORIGINAL: rick_7

Like... tears in rain.

Like... dog poo in the rain.

*Wendy Hiller fanboy*

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 204
RE: Top Films Watched End of November and December 2012 - 30/11/2012 1:25:39 PM   
Rhubarb

quote:

quote:

NO.

But in all seriousness, I don't dislike Roger Moore or anything but at this point in time I like Skyfall more then any Moore Bond. Although I do love Man With The Golden Gun primarily because of Christopher Lee.

I still think Roger Moore is the best Bond of all, which puts me in an increasingly small minority. I also think Daniel Craig is the only Bond yet to make a Five-Star Bond film (Dr No, Goldfinger, On Her Majesty's Secret Service, Live and Let Die, The Spy Who Loved Me, The Living Daylights, Goldeneye) with Casino Royale unfocused, Quantum rubbish and Skyfall good, but not that good.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

Post #: 205
RE: Top Films Watched End of November and December 2012 - 30/11/2012 1:28:26 PM   
Rhubarb

quote:

ORIGINAL: MOTH

Spiderman, Spiderman,
Look Out!
(6/10)

pretty spot on as well

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

(in reply to MOTH)
Post #: 206
RE: Top Films Watched End of November and December 2012 - 30/11/2012 1:50:12 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

I still think Roger Moore is the best Bond of all, which puts me in an increasingly small minority. I also think Daniel Craig is the only Bond yet to make a Five-Star Bond film (Dr No, Goldfinger, On Her Majesty's Secret Service, Live and Let Die, The Spy Who Loved Me, The Living Daylights, Goldeneye) with Casino Royale unfocused, Quantum rubbish and Skyfall good, but not that good.

Personally I reckon the weakest film by Craig (QoS) is better than anything Brosnan and Moore were ever involved in. My favourite Moore film is The Spy Who Loved Me and I'd struggle to award that more than 2.5 - 3 stars. It's a shame because I don't think it's Moore's fault that his first couple of Bond films decend into farce (Jaws and Baron Samedi are fucking ludicrous characters IMO), the pattern was established with Diamonds Are Forever. As for Brosnan I think Goldeneye is easily the most overhyped of all the Bond films and my favourite of his is Tomorrow Never Dies which I'd probably give 2.5 -3  stars again. He was a very good James Bond but was given nothing but crap to work with.

Come to think of it I don't think there's a Bond film worthy of 5 stars. FRWL is my favourite but I wouldn't class that as a 5 star film.

< Message edited by Harry Tuttle -- 30/11/2012 2:15:39 PM >

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 207
RE: Top Films Watched End of November and December 2012 - 30/11/2012 1:50:20 PM   
matty_b

quote:

quote:

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 208
RE: Top Films Watched End of November and December 2012 - 30/11/2012 1:51:05 PM   
elab49

Spy Who Loved Me remains in my top 3 Bonds. It doesn't make Moore the best Bond but he made, IMO, some bloody enjoyable Bond films.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 209
RE: Top Films Watched End of November and December 2012 - 30/11/2012 1:53:37 PM   
matty_b

I like The Spy Who Loved Me a lot and For Your Eyes Only is great (crappy use of Blofeld aside).

Everything else ranges from meh to awful.

quote:

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 210
Page:   <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Top Films Watched End of November and December 2012 Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI