Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Top Films Watched End of November and December 2012

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Top Films Watched End of November and December 2012 Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Top Films Watched End of November and December 2012 - 26/11/2012 1:45:02 PM   
elab49

I think the Kill List reference might need spoilered a bit? Ignore this - I've just realised it was spoilered and I need my eyes checked

I'm guessing the main concern about Crossfire Hurricane is the Rolling Stones music might be involved. This concerns me.

Dragnet is indeed awful but in my head I think there are a couple of lines that worked, no more. Harry Morgan's in it, isn't he? I like him.

< Message edited by elab49 -- 26/11/2012 2:54:46 PM >

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to rick_7)
Post #: 151
RE: Top Films Watched End of November and December 2012 - 26/11/2012 1:51:08 PM   
MOTH

When I was younger, the running joke in Dragnet about 'the virgin Connie Swail' was pretty much the funniest thing I'd ever seen in the movies. Now, many years later, it's only around number 4 on the list.

I've only gone and set up a blog! This week I've been mostly reviewing The Lego Movie and Wadjda. Click: The Fast Picture Show

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 152
RE: Top Films Watched End of November and December 2012 - 26/11/2012 2:37:41 PM   
matty_b

Nicholas Nickleby (Alberto Cavalcanti)

It lacks the beauty and power of Lean's two Dickens adaptations, but it's appropriately dark and wintry and decent enough. (3)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to MOTH)
Post #: 153
RE: Top Films Watched End of November and December 2012 - 26/11/2012 9:06:12 PM   
Beetlejuice!

115. Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy - 8/10
A very welcome intelligent entry to the spy genre with an outstanding cast lead by Gary Oldman on fine form. The film looks fantastic but yes, it does get very confusing as it goes along. One to pay attention to that's for sure.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 154
RE: Top Films Watched End of November and December 2012 - 27/11/2012 3:10:39 AM   
scarface666brooksy!!

Howls Moving Castle (2004, Miyazaki, 1st viewing)

Absolutely stunning visually and just superb in general. Studio Ghibli can do no wrong (Ssh Gimli).

< Message edited by scarface666brooksy!! -- 27/11/2012 3:11:13 AM >

My Aussie Film Thread - Film #7 - Patrick (1978)

(in reply to Beetlejuice!)
Post #: 155
RE: Top Films Watched End of November and December 2012 - 27/11/2012 2:27:52 PM   
matty_b

M (Fritz Lang)

It's a film practically leaking with sweaty paranoia as Peter Lorre's child killer is hunted by both the police and the criminal fraternity whose practices are suffering as a knock on result of what he's doing. Lorre is fantastic, using those creepy bug eyes to huge effect and Lang's staging and direction is incredible - it never once feels like something that's 80 years old, such is its pace, horrible dark humour and gut-punching impact. (5)

quote:

(in reply to scarface666brooksy!!)
Post #: 156
RE: Top Films Watched End of November and December 2012 - 27/11/2012 4:20:49 PM   
garvielloken

I watched M for the first time recently myself. Excellent film and Lorre's monologue before the kangaroo court has to be one of the most amazing performances I've ever seen. I think I'd rank The Big Heat, Mabuse the Gambler and Metropolis above it as Lang's best work.

quote:

ORIGINAL: scarface666brooksy!!

Absolutely stunning visually and just superb in general. Studio Ghibli can do no wrong (Ssh Gimli).

Possibly my favourite Ghibli. It's definitely in my top 3 but the order changes around everytime I watch them.

< Message edited by garvielloken -- 27/11/2012 4:26:22 PM >

Exactly six miles north of Skagg Mountain in the Valley of Pain, there lives an evil devilmonster. His name is Bingo Gas Station Motel Cheeseburger With A Side Of Aircraft Noise And You'll Be Gary Indiana.

Razzle them, dazzle them. Razzle dazzle them.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 157
RE: Top Films Watched End of November and December 2012 - 27/11/2012 9:28:34 PM   
Beetlejuice!

quote:

ORIGINAL: garvielloken

quote:

Possibly my favourite Ghibli. It's definitely in my top 3 but the order changes around everytime I watch them.

Its between Totoro, Spirited Away and Howls for me.

(in reply to garvielloken)
Post #: 158
RE: Top Films Watched End of November and December 2012 - 27/11/2012 9:30:53 PM   
Beetlejuice!

143. An Unfinished Life - 7/10
Lasse Hallstrom has as much subtlety as a sledgehammer these days when throwing the melodrama onto the screen. However this story of an old rancher who reunites with his estranged daughter-in-law is well played by the cast and has enough bite to make it tolerable. Morgan Freeman and Robert Redford play well off each other and J. Lo isn't too bad either. The whole thing gets a little heavy handed at times but overall it has a relatively nice feel to it.

Post #: 159
RE: Top Films Watched End of November and December 2012 - 27/11/2012 9:53:57 PM   
garvielloken

quote:

ORIGINAL: Beetlejuice!

quote:

quote:

†Its between Totoro, Spirited Away and Howls for me.

At the moment for me it's Howl's, Mononoke and Totoro third. I've watched Mononoke already this year so the other two are due a rewatch soon.

< Message edited by garvielloken -- 27/11/2012 9:54:56 PM >

Exactly six miles north of Skagg Mountain in the Valley of Pain, there lives an evil devilmonster. His name is Bingo Gas Station Motel Cheeseburger With A Side Of Aircraft Noise And You'll Be Gary Indiana.

Razzle them, dazzle them. Razzle dazzle them.

Post #: 160
RE: Top Films Watched End of November and December 2012 - 28/11/2012 2:02:47 AM   
scarface666brooksy!!

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

†Its between Totoro, Spirited Away and Howls for me.

At the moment for me it's Howl's, Mononoke and Totoro third. I've watched Mononoke already this year so the other two are due a rewatch soon.

For me it's Totoro, Howls and Porco Rosso out of Miyazaki's work for Ghibli (Though I do love Mononoke and Ponyo). I remember bugger all about Spirited Away.

< Message edited by scarface666brooksy!! -- 28/11/2012 2:03:34 AM >

My Aussie Film Thread - Film #7 - Patrick (1978)

(in reply to garvielloken)
Post #: 161
RE: Top Films Watched End of November and December 2012 - 28/11/2012 6:20:19 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gram123

The thread being split into two thing - "The Lists" and "The Discussings Of The Lists" - is this how it's going to be done next year?
Is it going to be put to a vote?

Gotta say, so far, I'm not a fan.
And I haven't even watched any more blummin films since (nay, because) paul_ie86 ruined the internet...

Having everything is one is much better.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!
Post #: 162
RE: Top Films Watched End of November and December 2012 - 28/11/2012 9:28:58 AM   
matty_b

All the President's Men (Alan J. Pakula)

Rarely has a film full of so many telephone conversations been so exciting. There's one, where Robert Redford's Bob Woodward is chasing up one particular lead by talking to two people at the same time, that becomes one of the slowest zoom ins I've ever seen, thus becoming an incredibly tense scene of...somebody checking some facts. The whole film is an incredible achievement and such is the nature of politics that it still feels wholly relevant today; every American election seemingly brings fresh questions of honest and open campaigns, and the feeling that if we're not as alert as Woodward and Bernstein were, then who knows what they'll try and get away with? The verisimilitude of the newspaper office scenes and the obsession the film has with getting everything right (both in a narrative and in a meta sense), means the film crackles with intelligence, authenticity and - best of all - importance, without ever being pompous. Redford and Hoffman are both excellent, as is Jason Robards Jr as their editor, both terrifying in his fierce criticism of their early attempts to break the story, and heroic in his standing of their corner by the end. Robards wryly remarked that the won his first Oscar here for putting his feet up on the desk a lot, and there's some truth in that, but he deserved it - he's brilliant. The whole film is, to be fair. (5)

quote:

(in reply to rick_7)
Post #: 163
RE: Top Films Watched End of November and December 2012 - 28/11/2012 10:23:13 AM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Its between Totoro, Spirited Away and Howls for me.

For me it's Totoro, Howls and Porco Rosso out of Miyazaki's work for Ghibli (Though I do love Mononoke and Ponyo). I remember bugger all about Spirited Away.

For me it's Spirited Away, Totoro, Porco Rosso, Mononoke and Howl's (and I love Nausicaa, Laputa and Ponyo).

Spirited Away is probably my favourite animated film let alone my favourite Ghibli.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to scarface666brooksy!!)
Post #: 164
RE: Top Films Watched End of November and December 2012 - 28/11/2012 1:46:39 PM   
Qwerty Norris

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gram123

Stand up
003) Sarah Millican: Chatterbox (Live) (UK, 2011, Broadcast) - 5.5

Ok. Loses half a point for being a 100 min long show that Ch4 cut down to an hour with ad breaks. As usual.

Stand-up comedy as films, really?

I'm already sceptical to the merits of having shorts in there, but there's nowt cinematic about Sarah Millican - or funny for that matter.

Surely they're more suitable for the TV/radio list thing? Never before have I seen a stand-up set appear in a cinema.

I noticed Harry did something similar lately as well.

Qwerty's Top 10 of 2013 (so far)

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
9. The Place Beyond the Pines
10. Wreck-it Ralph
Post #: 165
RE: Top Films Watched End of November and December 2012 - 28/11/2012 2:32:27 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Qwerty Norris

Stand-up comedy as films, really?

They're concert films. Perfectly valid. Not to mention lots of them have had cinematic releases over the years (Raw, Original Kings of Comedy, lots of Pryor concerts, Jesus Is Magic, Comedian) and some (Pryor's 79 set, for example) are so highly regarded that they've made greatest films lists. They'd class under the documentary category, if nothing else. I don't see how they're more suitable for the t.v. list, tbh. They're neither t.v. or radio broadcasts.

(in reply to Qwerty Norris)
Post #: 166
RE: Top Films Watched End of November and December 2012 - 28/11/2012 4:14:44 PM   
matty_b

Silver Linings Playbook (David O. Russell)

SPOILERS One of the great things about the film is how it clearly sets up cliches - then swerves them at the last. It doesn't go as subverting the genre, but this tale of a man struggling with his recent bi-polar diagnosis and the disintegration of his marriage forming a friendship with a recently widowed young woman trying to deal with her own issues, does show that the term 'rom-com' doesn't have to be lazy, generic, toss. For instance, when he (Bradley Cooper) agrees to partner her (Jennifer Lawrence) in a dance competition there's a moment where she states that they have a big move that they've yet to master, which automatically makes you think the film will climax like Dirty Dancing - but it doesn't, and it's all the better for it. Instead, Russell nails the tone of the film in a manner that he didn't quite achieve with The Fighter and the mental illness of the central characters isn't used for cheap sentimentality or goofy laughs, but just a facet of existence that people have to work through. Cooper shows he's much more than just a pretty face given the material and De Niro and Jackie Weaver in support as his parents contribute some great work, but all the early buzz about Lawrence picking up the Best Actress Oscar seems like a good bet - she's absolutely terrific. The film itself is much better than the sappy nonsense it sounds like when you describe it, being funny, smart and keenly felt throughout. (4)

quote:

Post #: 167
RE: Top Films Watched End of November and December 2012 - 28/11/2012 4:39:54 PM   
impqueen

Nice write up Matty.

I saw this Monday and wasnít all that enthused going in but I came out having really enjoyed myself. Itís a much better film than I thought it was going to be. I liked almost everything about it especially the performances, De Niro and Weaver offer lovely support and Cooper almost entirely made up for Hangover and A Team.  However as you point out it is Lawrence who really shines, I thought she was superb, there was one scene towards the end (before the dance) and she was dynamite.

Yes, always.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 168
RE: Top Films Watched End of November and December 2012 - 28/11/2012 5:04:44 PM   
matty_b

quote:

ORIGINAL: impqueen

Nice write up Matty.

I saw this Monday and wasn't all that enthused going in but I came out having really enjoyed myself. It's a much better film than I thought it was going to be. I liked almost everything about it especially the performances, De Niro and Weaver offer lovely support and Cooper almost entirely made up for Hangover and A Team.  However as you point out it is Lawrence who really shines, I thought she was superb, there was one scene towards the end (before the dance) and she was dynamite.

Cheers.

The bit in bold - I've heard that from more than a few people (I had the same pre-opinion myself), which makes me wonder if that's going to be key to the film's success. People look at the ultra-generic trailer and the presence of Cooper and think it'll be fluff. In that sense, it's almost Cooper's film as I expected Lawrence to be great, him...not so much.

That bit you mention about Lawrence before the dance was it (whited out for fear of spoilers) her reaction to seeing Nicki or when she bursts into Cooper's house when they get back from the game/fight?

quote:

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 169
RE: Top Films Watched End of November and December 2012 - 28/11/2012 5:18:47 PM   
impqueen

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b

quote:

ORIGINAL: impqueen

Nice write up Matty.

I saw this Monday and wasn't all that enthused going in but I came out having really enjoyed myself. It's a much better film than I thought it was going to be. I liked almost everything about it especially the performances, De Niro and Weaver offer lovely support and Cooper almost entirely made up for Hangover and A Team.  However as you point out it is Lawrence who really shines, I thought she was superb, there was one scene towards the end (before the dance) and she was dynamite.

Cheers.

The bit in bold - I've heard that from more than a few people (I had the same pre-opinion myself), which makes me wonder if that's going to be key to the film's success. People look at the ultra-generic trailer and the presence of Cooper and think it'll be fluff. In that sense, it's almost Cooper's film as I expected Lawrence to be great, him...not so much.

That bit you mention about Lawrence before the dance was it (whited out for fear of spoilers) her reaction to seeing Nicki or when she bursts into Cooper's house when they get back from the game/fight?

Thatís a pertinent point,  I will certainly be less dismissive of Cooper in the future though he hasnít completely convinced.

The second one, though her reaction to the first was excellent too. > I just thought watching that scene in which there are a lot of people, the charismatic lead and despite recent efforts an inform De Niro, she owned it.<  

Yes, always.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 170
RE: Top Films Watched End of November and December 2012 - 28/11/2012 5:24:13 PM   
matty_b

Yeah, it was a great scene. As I say, seems to be Oscar frontrunner for good reason.

quote:

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 171
RE: Top Films Watched End of November and December 2012 - 28/11/2012 5:48:39 PM   
elab49

I don't know whether to read Matty's review or not. I know I should go see the film as it is a key contender, but, and I realise this sounds pretty shallow, Cooper just gives me the creeps.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 172
RE: Top Films Watched End of November and December 2012 - 28/11/2012 5:50:51 PM   
matty_b

Well, there's a pretty big spoiler-ish discussion halfway through, so probably best that you don't.

But I'd always disliked Cooper before this, always found him unbearably smug. Not here, though.

quote:

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 173
RE: Top Films Watched End of November and December 2012 - 28/11/2012 5:54:40 PM   
elab49

It's not even his acting - which is not good. He just gives me the creeps - you know the way some people do and you're not sure why?

quote:

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 174
RE: Top Films Watched End of November and December 2012 - 28/11/2012 6:03:17 PM   
impqueen

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

It's not even his acting - which is not good. He just gives me the creeps - you know the way some people do and you're not sure why?

Is it (and this is in no way meant to slander Mr Cooper...) the Ted Bundy-esq vibe?

I  like Matty see him as unbearably smug as fuck but in the film I thought he was good.

< Message edited by impqueen -- 28/11/2012 6:04:33 PM >

Yes, always.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 175
RE: Top Films Watched End of November and December 2012 - 28/11/2012 6:07:58 PM   
elab49

Not to slander - but it is something around the eyes.

quote:

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 176
RE: Top Films Watched End of November and December 2012 - 28/11/2012 6:22:27 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

Not to slander - but it is something around the eyes.

Like Burn Gorman creeping me out for being a bit lizardy. Replied to your pm, btw.

There was a discussion going on recently about The Keep, can't remember where. But I have a question, would anyone recommend me rewatching it? I have the old UK vid release. The film itself I always thought was disappointing in comparison to the book. But after reading Buckets by the author, I came to think F. Paul Wilson is a massive cunt and it's put me off reading The Keep again. If you've never read Buckets, don't. It's like being trapped in a lift with a rabid pro-lifer. The most unsubtle piece of pro-life stuff I've seen outside of a Republican rally. So with that in mind, maybe I'll get more pleasure out of the film?

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 177
RE: Top Films Watched End of November and December 2012 - 28/11/2012 6:28:17 PM   
elab49

Well, if you go in thinking it's nothing like the book it might cut Wilson out of your consideration of it?

quote:

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 178
RE: Top Films Watched End of November and December 2012 - 28/11/2012 6:50:11 PM   
rawlinson

That's what I'm thinking, yeah. And even if I still don't rate the film that highly, I can take mean-spirited pleasure in knowing his work was fucked up.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 179
RE: Top Films Watched End of November and December 2012 - 28/11/2012 10:58:33 PM   
Beetlejuice!

115. Wit - 8/10
Beautifully performed by Emma Thompson, the film follows a literature professor's fight with cancer. It has the typical movie cliche of having doctors who care more about the medicine and operations than the actual patient but the film overcomes that. Its very much a teleplay as the majority of the film is solely monologues to the camera and director Mike Nichols gives Thompson the freedom of space to perform a tremendous piece of work. Hardly the most uplifting of films but an important movie.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 180
Page:   <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Top Films Watched End of November and December 2012 Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI