Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Top Films Watched End of November and December 2012

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Top Films Watched End of November and December 2012 Page: <<   < prev  19 20 [21] 22 23   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Top Films Watched End of November and December 2012 - 24/12/2012 6:43:36 PM   
Rebel scum

30-The Snowman (Jackson & Murakami, 1982) 9/10

What a great Christmas special, one of the best. Your move, "Snowman and the Snowdog".

24-Mickey's Christmas Carol (Mattinson, 1983) 10/10

Sod the Muppets, this is the best adaptation of A Christmas Carol ever made. It's only a half hour long and it still packs an emotional wallop.

47-The Muppets (Bobin, 2011) 9/10

Third watch of it this year, and it's well-merited. What did surprise me is that with its cheerful atmosphere and message of hope and laughter triumphing over despair and adversity, it's actually an appropriate film to watch at Christmas.

< Message edited by Rebel scum -- 24/12/2012 11:28:36 PM >

"We are not safe! A dark menace rises to the east! Duckies go quack! Cows go moo! I want ice cream. Verily, will you two hobbits join my quest?"

(in reply to MovieAddict247)
Post #: 601
RE: Top Films Watched End of November and December 2012 - 25/12/2012 10:07:35 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

4. The Muppet Christmas Carol (40th+ view, 1992, Brian Henson) - 5/5

Is there a better way to start Christmas Day? Even if I am currently a blubbering mess

The plot of A Christmas Carol is so well known it almost seems pointless going into detail, so I won't. Still, any film of the story immediately benefits simply because it is such a great story. A magical tale of redemption filled with ghosts and Christmas spirit, it's one of the best tales ever written and it never, ever gets old. The book is also filled to the brim with wonderfully crisp and memorable dialogue, and the Muppet version of the film thankfully retains many of these lines, while adding their own delicious spin.

Considering that most people are acted off the screen by their Muppet colleagues, Michael Caine does a remarkable job and holds his own, As the iconic Ebenezer Scrooge, he's never less than believable as the miser who gradually learns he needs to change his ways. Perhaps not the best screen Scrooge, but certainly near the top. And Caine himself has never been better.

The songs are sprightly, vivacious, catchy and superbly written by Paul Williams (a one time guest on The Muppet show, they like to keep things inhouse) Unlike some musicals when the songs actually jar here they just flow out of the film naturally. Eminently hummable and reflective of the film itself, they are backed up by a rather lovely score from Miles Goodman.

Special mention must go to the song ”It Feels Like Christmas”. No moment in cinema history has ever captured the wonder of Christmas time as this scene; no film has the power to make me feel all childlike about the yuletide season in such a way. It really does capture the spirit of the time. The Ghost Of Christmas Present might be a large absent-minded spirit, but he was also blessed with a superb singing vice, and he jovial outlook on life is a pleasure to behold. everyone should have a friend like him.

The Muppets have always been known for the love and dedication they bring to their craft and it shows here. No matter how big or small the part, they each give the most in their performances. From the household names of Miss Piggy, Gonzo and Bunsen to the nameless spiders, horse, mice etc, not one of then lets the side down. Of particular note is Beaker, his trademark "me me me me” being used to great effect, and come the gift giving at the end, emotional effect, and The standout performance comes from the carol-singing, turkey buying Bean Bunny, a consummate professional.

While undeniable playing the roles well, the Muppets show what astute performers they are by bringing large parts of their own selves to their characters. Fozzie, as Fozziewig, does what he does best in the real world, he allows himself to be the object of humiliation at the hands of career hecklers Statler and Waldorf. Rowlf tinkles the ivories just as he does on the stage, and the Swedish Chef gets in the action by showing off his culinary skills. Lew Zealand, master of the art of boomerang fish throwing shows off his skills, the scarily masochistic Gonzo relishes the opportunity to injure or be injured. Even Sam Eagle, unibrow extraordinaire, lets loose with his undying patriotism. Of all the Muppet stars on show, it is perhaps Miss Piggy who does the least acting, It could be argued that this aggressively bossy female just plays herself, but doing so would be to ignore the subtle nuances she brings to the character of Mrs. Cratchit.

There are a few teeny flaws. The removal of When Love Is Gonebeing one of them. In fairness, I'm not even a huge fan of the song, but the film isn't complete without it, and at least two of the characters react to the song, and their reactions seem out of place. Pointless. Another reason to love VHS.

The main Muppet role is given to Kermit The Frog. He was always, and still is, the least likeable Muppet. He is probably the only Muppet with the acting chops to carry off such a dramatic role, and its true he does bring along a certain gravitas, it's just a shame prominence of this generally aloof actor lessons the screen time for other, better actors. Rowlf and the Swedish Chef, two of the finest graduates from Jim Henson's workshop, are reduced to mere cameos.

Does nostalgia play a part in my love for this film? Perhaps, but only to a point. I did indeed see it 20 years ago at the cinema with my dad and my sister, and I'd be lying if I said I didn't like it. However, it's only in the last decade or so that I started to truly love it, and emotional aspects have hit home.

Perhaps it's such a good film because it was the first Muppet film made the death of Jim Henson, lifelong friend to Muppets, and was directed by his son, so extra care was taken it making it special. Perhaps it's simply that the mix of Dickensian storytelling and colourful anarchy somehow just gels together. Whatever the reason, this is almost the ultimate Christmas movie, surpassed only by It's A Wonderful Life and for me it is also the definitive take on A Christmas Carol, one that manages to give the story the unmistakable humour and slapsticky Muppet Sheen, yet still remain faithful, capturing the essence, and emotions of the book whilst never descending into mawkish schmaltz and melodrama, like other adaptation are prone to do. It's a testament to the strength of Dickens and his story that even a musical version re-enacted by puppets can be so good, and a testament to the Muppet crew that they can create the most outright enjoyable and engaging version of such a classic tale, especially a version that include talking vegetables and singing lockboxes. Anybody who doesn't spend the rest of the day singing the songs after they've seen the film mustn't have been paying attention and only the hardest of hearts (or even a Scrooge) would fail to be moved by the final 10 minutes. A masterpiece of yuletide moviemaking

107. Odd Man Out (2nd view, 1943, Carol Reed) - 4/5
It's good, but it's no Muppets. Mason is fantastic and the film falters when he;s not around.

< Message edited by Gimli The Dwarf -- 25/12/2012 10:09:33 AM >

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 602
RE: Top Films Watched End of November and December 2012 - 26/12/2012 12:22:49 AM   
scarface666brooksy!!

Planet Rock: The Story of Hip-Hop and the Crack Generation (2011, Lowe & Torgoff, 1st viewing) (Doco)

A fairly solid doco on the crack epidemic of the 80's and early 90's and it's influence on hip-hop and vice versa. It also covers other aspects of the era including political hysteria and even the L.A. riots. There's some pretty interesting footage and good interviews from drug icons like Freeway Ricky Ross and hip-hop legends like members of the Wu-Tang Clan, Melle Mel, Chuck D and Snoop Dogg, and narration from Ice-T. For a VH1 doco, it's actually not too bad, but I've see at least 15 better documentaries this year alone. There's also a fucking excellent soundtrack with classic tracks from Run DMC, Public Enemy, Jay-Z and the aforementioned Wu-Tang Clan. Beware: If you don't like hip-hop or the sight of people praising Scarface (yes that one), then you probably would want to avoid this like the plague.

My Aussie Film Thread - Film #7 - Patrick (1978)

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 603
RE: Top Films Watched End of November and December 2012 - 26/12/2012 1:41:58 AM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gimli The Dwarf

4. The Muppet Christmas Carol (40th+ view, 1992, Brian Henson) - 5/5

It's good, but it's no Scrooged.

Good to see you admit it.

Post #: 604
RE: Top Films Watched End of November and December 2012 - 26/12/2012 6:35:19 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

I'm sending you some very unfestive thoughts at the moment

15. For All Mankind (2nd view, 1989, Al Reinert) - 5/5
Amazing.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Much more better!

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 605
RE: Top Films Watched End of November and December 2012 - 26/12/2012 10:52:14 AM   
matty_b

Scrooged (Richard Donner)

For years, I just thought it was nostalgic affection thta made me love this film, but no, it really is that good. It's funny - "Ooh, who's that? She's pretty!" - Murray is superb making the turn from his caustic grouch to love-spreading disciple completely believable and plausible and, unlike a lot of adaptations of Dickens' classic, it doesn't skimp on the darkness of the original tale. Frozen bodies under the sewers, a mute boy abandoned in a mental hospital and the Ghost of Christmas Yet To Come with the shrieking, emaciated bodies of some poor souls imprisoned within its ribcage are all brilliant and disturbing touches. The update to contemporary times also works extremely well, with Murray's cold and remote childhood neatly counterpointed to the path of family dinners and games on Christmas Eve that his brother takes, and the riff of Scrooge being a TV special has never really dated. Superb. (4.5)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

Post #: 606
RE: Top Films Watched End of November and December 2012 - 26/12/2012 12:01:23 PM   
Professor Moriarty

Cars - Glossy and soulless, Disney does Pixar.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 607
RE: Top Films Watched End of November and December 2012 - 26/12/2012 1:10:28 PM   
Pigeon Army

quote:

ORIGINAL: Professor Moriarty

Cars - Glossy and soulless, Disney does Pixar.

Never gets old.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc
She's supposed to be 13! I'd want her to be very attractive though

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat
quote:

ORIGINAL: Pigeon Army
Stop being mean to Deviation

No.

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 608
RE: Top Films Watched End of November and December 2012 - 26/12/2012 6:57:56 PM   
Rebel scum

157-The Snowman and the Snowdog (Audus, 2012) 6/10
Spoilers

This follow-up to a classic is merely adequate, and that's nowhere near good enough. It's a shame because the first few minutes are fantastic, establishing a boy who loves his dog but gets his heart broken in the space of about three minutes. I'd even go as far as to equate the opening of TSATS with the opening of Up, establishing a relationship between characters in moments and making it really resonate. After that, the short gleefully plummets downhill, from when the new boy finds James' picture, to ensure the tenuous connection to the original, to the making of the Snowman, with the Snowdog almost as an afterthought, which is dumb because the snowdog is the entire point of the story.

You know what? To hell with the snowman, the kid should've just made a snowdog. The snowman has no reason to be in the film at all, and there's nowhere near the emotional connection between the boy and the snowman that the original had. If it had just been a snowdog and they would've bonded and the boy would've been happy for the first time in a while, that would've been a much better movie. We don't need to see the snowman party again, show us something new! And good new, not "the snowman flies a plane for no fucking reason" new. I love the original, and to see it descend into mediocrity and retreading old ground instead of embracing the potential of the new ideas is really sad. The song's shit too.

"We are not safe! A dark menace rises to the east! Duckies go quack! Cows go moo! I want ice cream. Verily, will you two hobbits join my quest?"

(in reply to Pigeon Army)
Post #: 609
RE: Top Films Watched End of November and December 2012 - 26/12/2012 10:39:14 PM   
jiraffejustin

Eden Lake - Bunch of stupid wankers for characters. You're telling me Michael Fassbender wouldn't have whipped some ass? Bollocks.

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 610
RE: Top Films Watched End of November and December 2012 - 26/12/2012 11:04:08 PM   
MonsterCat

Scrooged (Richard Donner; 1988)

Up until yesterday I hadn't seen this in a dog's age, and it holds up really well. Funny, dark with a breathless and masterful performance from Bill Murray at the center of it. Also: it never strays into vomit inducing sentimentality and preachiness when Murray's unscrupulous TV exec finally finds his redemption. If it wasn't for Die Hard it would be the best Christmas movie ever.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to jiraffejustin)
Post #: 611
RE: Top Films Watched End of November and December 2012 - 27/12/2012 12:11:52 AM   
scarface666brooksy!!

Ruby Sparks (2012, Dayton & Faris, 1st viewing) (Dec)

Spoilers

Fairly entertaining film about a writer who has hit the sophomore slump hardcore. After publishing his first novel in his teens, ten years later his professional and personal life is a shambles so he invents his perfect dream woman in literature form to try and escape his slump and lo and behold she becomes real. It's a pretty twee premise, but there's a lot of subtext behind how men idealise women, and that all too common "Manic Pixie Dream Girl" syndrome that infects a lot of films (Hi Elizabethtown, Garden State, 500 Days of Summer etc.). Apparently writer-star Zoe Kazan (who is cute as all hell) rejects and despises that term but she must have had it floating around her mind subconsciously whilst writing Ruby Sparks. Speaking of Kazan, her chemistry with real life partner and co-star Paul Dano is quite believable, and there is nice little performances from the likes of Chris Messina, Steve Coogan, Elliot Gould and Antonio Banderas to name just a few. The strength of Ruby Sparks is purely when Calvin (Dano) manipulates Ruby through the written word to try and compliment his life even more, and this constant change of her mood etc. ends up in really dark territory towards the end which was a bit out of the blue but totally understandable. Another thing I liked was like Midnight In Paris before it, the fact the film never tries to explain how the magic event (MIP has Gil going back in time, Ruby Sparks materialises out of thin freaking air) actually occurred. There are a lot of things to like in Ruby Sparks, but it still felt it was missing something for me to love it. The extremely saccharine ending and constant references to Catcher In The Rye (which is easily the most over-rated novel of all time) left a bad taste in my mouth, but the nice performances from Kazan and Dano and interesting enough premise make up for it enough to make a good film.

< Message edited by scarface666brooksy!! -- 27/12/2012 12:16:11 AM >

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 612
RE: Top Films Watched End of November and December 2012 - 27/12/2012 1:02:58 AM   
rawlinson

Following Rick's lead

Crazes:Hisayasu Sato, Ruiz, Bobcat, Lena Dunham, Fred and Ginger,

Continuing preoccupations: Woody Allen, Peter Cook, Bill Murray, Cary Grant, Michelle Williams, BFI Flipside

Revelations: Anna Paquin in Margaret, Kara Hayward, Rooney Mara, Kirsten Dunst, Lena Dunham, Loving Memory showing that Tony Scott once had the potential to be one of Britain's great weird film-makers, that Tom Hardy can still shine even when the films around him are overlong and underwhelming (Warrior, DKR),

A few performances that stuck with me: Paquin in Margaret, McConaghey in Killer Joe, Meredyth Herold in Singapore Sling, Lon Chaney in West of Zanzibar, Claire Sloma in Myth of the American Sleepover, Sam Shepard in Blackthorn, Dick Van Dyke in The Comic, Fionnula Flanagan in James Joyce's Women.

Stuff I caught up on: A lot of cult films that had escaped me before now.

Happiest surprises: Margaret was a masterpiece rather than a mess, 21 Jump Street, Avengers, Deafula was a genuine attempt to create a sign language film, Skyfall is the best Bond film ever, Dredd, Kill List, On the Road, Sparrows

Biggest disappointments: The Artist, Woman in Black, the tedious faux-outrage about Human Centipede II, Rec 3, that I misheard my favourite joke in The Muppets

Oddest films: Singapore Sling, Sweet Movie, West of Zanzibar, Midori, Jacob Two Two Meets the Hooded Fang, Satan's Children, Bat Pussy, Finisterrae, The Major and the Minor (both incredibly charming and deeply creepy)

Worst films: Woman in Black, Yellow Wallpaper, Sixteen Candles, War Horse, Until the Light Takes Us

Tell us about some great movies you saw that no-one's really heard of: Singapore Sling, West of Zanzibar, Midori, Sweet Movie, Loving Memory

Some favourite moments: Anna Paquin distracting Mark Ruffalo in Margaret, pretty much anything in Moonrise Kingdom, the moon trip in Nothing Lasts Forever, Dick Van Dyke driving a car into the house in The Comic, Flanagan's Molly Bloom monologue (and not for the obvious reasons) in James Joyce's Women, Bat Pussy riding the space hopper, Hulk meets Loki in The Avengers, that American Idol baiting finale in God Bless America, Seth Rogan's heartbreaking performance when he discovers the truth in Take This Waltz, Killer Joe making some fried chicken seem even more disgusting than normal, the ghostly stripper in Finisterrae

And some least favourite moments: Pretty much anything in Woman in Black, the gender emphasis shift in The Yellow Wallpaper, the guy we're encouraged to root for as the love interest in Sixteen Candles suggesting the geek rape his girlfriend while drunk

The funniest jokes: Anything that comes out of the mouth of Bill Murray's sinister bus conductor in Nothing Lasts Forever, "fuck you science", Michael Caine's Dawson-esque attempts to cry in DKR, Hulk meets Loki

2012 was... Ok

Best musical numbers: (delete if you're not awesome) Mostly Fred and Ginger films, the beach dance in Moonrise Kingdom

Best film I saw at the cinema: Moonrise Kingdom

I was bored by: Fanboys, they're usually annoying every year, but extreme Bond and Nolan fanboys were reaching new douchy levels this year. Liam Neeson. The Oscars love affair with Meryl Streep.

Edit - forgot to mention, the Pact and Chernobyl Diaries under worst films.

< Message edited by rawlinson -- 27/12/2012 1:59:01 AM >

(in reply to scarface666brooksy!!)
Post #: 613
RE: Top Films Watched End of November and December 2012 - 27/12/2012 1:22:48 AM   
scarface666brooksy!!

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

Revelations: Kara Hayward, Rooney Mara, Kirsten Dunst, Lena Dunham, Tom Hardy can still shine even when the films around him are overlong and underwhelming (Warrior, DKR),

Happiest surprises: 21 Jump Street, Avengers, Skyfall is the best Bond film ever, Kill List

Biggest disappointments: the tedious faux-outrage about Human Centipede II

Some favourite moments: pretty much anything in Moonrise Kingdom, Hulk meets Loki in The Avengers,

The funniest jokes: Michael Caine's Dawson-esque attempts to cry in DKR, Hulk meets Loki

Best musical numbers: the beach dance in Moonrise Kingdom

Best film I saw at the cinema: Moonrise Kingdom

I was bored by: Fanboys, they're usually annoying every year, but extreme Bond and Nolan fanboys were reaching new douchy levels this year. The Oscars love affair with Meryl Streep.

A gigantic yes to everything above. Especially the love for Moonrise, Avengers, Skyfall and Tom Hardy. Human Centipede was like A Serbian Film, nowhere near as bad as they were made out to be but still unbelievably awful films. I'll do my version of the above soon

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 614
RE: Top Films Watched End of November and December 2012 - 27/12/2012 1:48:36 AM   
rawlinson

I thought A Serbian Film was a decent little black comedy. Human Centipede II was just boring, it made the mistake of not having the same gleefully demented lead performance as the first.

I'm wondering if we can adapt Rick's review system for the t.v./radio thread.

Post #: 615
RE: Top Films Watched End of November and December 2012 - 27/12/2012 1:50:25 AM   
homersimpson_esq

A Serbian Film was a steaming turd of a film. I can easily believe you liked it.

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 616
RE: Top Films Watched End of November and December 2012 - 27/12/2012 1:55:01 AM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: homersimpson_esq

A Serbian Film was a steaming turd of a film. I can easily believe you liked it.

lol at the Forrest Gump and Sound of Music fan.

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 617
RE: Top Films Watched End of November and December 2012 - 27/12/2012 2:01:37 AM   
scarface666brooksy!!

quote:

I thought A Serbian Film was a decent little black comedy. Human Centipede II was just boring, it made the mistake of not having the same gleefully demented lead performance as the first.

There were parts of A Serbian Film that worked in a sense but I still didn't like it very much. There was a two week period where I saw both Nekromanik films, Pink Flamingos, Human Centipede Part 2, Serbian Film and Salo so I don't know all the bizarreness seeped through all the films and screwed my mind a bit

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 618
RE: Top Films Watched End of November and December 2012 - 27/12/2012 2:39:23 AM   
jiraffejustin

A Serbian Film is pretty fucked up, but I think it's heart is in the right place.....

Is there anything more fucked up than this that I should see, because it's good?

Post #: 619
RE: Top Films Watched End of November and December 2012 - 27/12/2012 2:44:02 AM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

quote:

I like how bringing up other films is always a way to look good in an argument and definitely not a way to detract from the inherent wrongness of one's own argument.

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 620
RE: Top Films Watched End of November and December 2012 - 27/12/2012 6:34:05 AM   
rawlinson

quote:

quote:

quote:

I like how bringing up other films is always a way to look good in an argument and definitely not a way to detract from the inherent wrongness of one's own argument.

In this case it's pointing out the hypocrisy of you saying I like shit films when you like two of the shittiest films of all time.

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 621
RE: Top Films Watched End of November and December 2012 - 27/12/2012 6:34:29 AM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: jiraffejustin

A Serbian Film is pretty fucked up, but I think it's heart is in the right place.....

Is there anything more fucked up than this that I should see, because it's good?

Life and Death of a Porno Gang.

(in reply to jiraffejustin)
Post #: 622
RE: Top Films Watched End of November and December 2012 - 27/12/2012 6:37:06 AM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: scarface666brooksy!!

There were parts of A Serbian Film that worked in a sense but I still didn't like it very much.

I'm not a huge fan of it myself, but the outrage and hype around it was ridiculous. If it had just been taken for what it actually was, a bad-taste comedy with extreme content, then it would have slipped under the radar. But all the mock outrage and "ban this fick silth" headlines blew it up into something it wasn't.

Post #: 623
RE: Top Films Watched End of November and December 2012 - 27/12/2012 7:15:16 AM   
scarface666brooksy!!

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: scarface666brooksy!!

There were parts of A Serbian Film that worked in a sense but I still didn't like it very much.

I'm not a huge fan of it myself, but the outrage and hype around it was ridiculous. If it had just been taken for what it actually was, a bad-taste comedy with extreme content, then it would have slipped under the radar. But all the mock outrage and "ban this fick silth" headlines blew it up into something it wasn't.

That's sadly always going to happen though, both to films and video games. Whether it be spines getting ripped out in Mortal Kombat or some of the more extreme scenes in A Serbian Film, the media will always look for something to demonise. The funny thing is, the singing asshole in Pink Flamingoes disgusted my friends more then anything in A Serbian Film

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 624
RE: Top Films Watched End of November and December 2012 - 27/12/2012 7:16:51 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

that I misheard my favourite joke in The Muppets

What was the joke?

Much more better!

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 625
RE: Top Films Watched End of November and December 2012 - 27/12/2012 10:01:13 AM   
elab49

Acting natural not nonchalant 

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

Post #: 626
RE: Top Films Watched End of November and December 2012 - 27/12/2012 10:41:17 AM   
matty_b

Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (Peter Jackson)

It suffers somewhat from having a more streamlined narrative - Frodo, Sam and Gollum keep plodding away, while everyone else goes from one siege to a slightly bigger siege - but it's still grandly entertaining with an incredible epic scope that remains heartfelt and never stodgy. Oh, and those multiple endings are absolutely fine. (5)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 627
RE: Top Films Watched End of November and December 2012 - 27/12/2012 11:10:29 AM   
elab49

It only has one ending - Frodo's  (We shouldn't pander to those who use it as an implicit stick to beat the film with and try to assert it as a truism )

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 628
RE: Top Films Watched End of November and December 2012 - 27/12/2012 11:23:06 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

I must try and get LOTR watched next year. That'll be two years in a row now that I haven't seen any of them

Much more better!

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 629
RE: Top Films Watched End of November and December 2012 - 27/12/2012 12:01:28 PM   
scarface666brooksy!!

Killer Joe (2012, Friedkin, 1st viewing)

There's only been a few films released in the last year that have absolutely rocked me. Moonrise Kingdom comes to mind. A Separation comes to mind. Skyfall (yes Skyfall) comes to mind. Killer Joe joins that list. It truly is one hell of a film, dark, bleak more then a little twisted but oh so goddamn good. Excellent performances from all of the cast, Juno Temple puts in some great work (I hope she gets more interesting roles), Emile Hirsch is always great to watch as is Haden Church and Gina Gershon is smarmily excellent. But the cast member who puts in the best work and walks away with the film almost entirely is Matthew McConaughey who is just fantastic as the titular character. The way he balances a slight charm and gravitas then slides into serious creepiness and at times full blown fucking repulsiveness is just incredible. Without him, the film would still be one of the best films I've seen so far in this albeit short decade, but he really makes it something else entirely, that I can't exactly put my finger on. Also obligatory mention to a particular scene with fried chicken, it's been mentioned in 97% of the reviews for Killer Joe so hell why not.

< Message edited by scarface666brooksy!! -- 27/12/2012 12:25:26 PM >

Post #: 630
Page:   <<   < prev  19 20 [21] 22 23   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Top Films Watched End of November and December 2012 Page: <<   < prev  19 20 [21] 22 23   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI