Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Top Films Watched End of November and December 2012

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Top Films Watched End of November and December 2012 Page: <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Top Films Watched End of November and December 2012 - 3/12/2012 1:07:29 PM   
rick_7

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b

Ta.

Yeah, Grant is a frustrating actor - pretty lazy, but occasionally shows glimpses of how good he could be. I really think he brings a lot to the character of Will and it's pretty underappreciated. There's a great bit where he 'fesses up to Rachel Weisz about how he isn't really Marcus's dad and there's a great bit of facial acting/realisation from him about how much of his life is a waste.

I saw Grant being interviewed by Jonathan Ross a couple of years back and he seemed quite sad. It could have been false modesty, but it was more like he didn't have any confidence in himself as an actor, and didn't like most of his films. I really think he could do something special if he just had the right script. I don't remember that moment you mention, but I do remember being moved by a lot of what he did in About a Boy. It felt a bit like a rebirth, only it wasn't.

quote:

Also, I've never seen Cloudy With... but that quote made me laugh out loud.

The delivery is amazing as well.

Take This Waltz (Sarah Polley, 2011) - I've written a review of this, which I'll put up in a week or two. Would just like to say, though, that it's brilliant. (4)

*Wendy Hiller fanboy*

Blog: DJANGO! DUMBO! DESPICABLE ME 2! Plus: other stuff.

"Nothin's really been right since Sam the Lion died."

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 271
RE: Top Films Watched End of November and December 2012 - 3/12/2012 5:52:55 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: rick_7

Take This Waltz (Sarah Polley, 2011) - I've written a review of this, which I'll put up in a week or two. Would just like to say, though, that it's brilliant. (4)

Why are you making us wait for the review?

Wonderful film, some exceptional performances, especially Silverman, Rogen and (of course) Williams. She's come a long way from the Creek.

(in reply to rick_7)
Post #: 272
RE: Top Films Watched End of November and December 2012 - 3/12/2012 7:00:18 PM   
rick_7

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

quote:

Why are you making us wait for the review?

Wonderful film, some exceptional performances, especially Silverman, Rogen and (of course) Williams. She's come a long way from the Creek.

I never watched that programme - was it any good?

I've just got to hold off on the review until my (slightly shorter) write-up goes live on another site. I've started doing some freelance again.

*Wendy Hiller fanboy*

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 273
RE: Top Films Watched End of November and December 2012 - 3/12/2012 7:18:57 PM   
rawlinson

Ah, ok.

Dawson's Creek. I'm quite nostalgic about the first two seasons, after that it's fairly bad. It suffers quite badly from having a lead character who is quite hateful. But you liked Brian in My So Called Life, so you'll probably love Dawson.

(in reply to rick_7)
Post #: 274
RE: Top Films Watched End of November and December 2012 - 4/12/2012 1:43:17 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

52. The Hustler (3rd view, 1961, Robert Rossen) - 4/5
I'm never sure which of Paul Newman's performance I like the most. This one is certainly in the top three, but the entire cast is great.

97. Saturday Night and Sunday Morning (2nd view, 1960, Karel Reisz) - 4/5

1. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (1st view, 2012, Peter Jackson) - 5/5
2. The Muppet Christmas Carol (40th+ view, 1992, Brian Henson) - 5/5
3. For All Mankind (2nd view, 1989, Al Reinert) - 5/5
4. Shadow Of A Doubt (2nd view, 1943, Alfred Htchcock) - 5/5
5. Galaxy Quest (10th view, 1999, Dean Parisot) - 4/5
6. The Hustler (3rd view, 1961, Robert Rossen) - 4/5
7. The King Of Comedy (2nd view, 1983, Martin Scorcese) - 4/5
8. The Royal Tenenbaums (2nd view, 2001, Wes Anderson) - 4/5
9. Saturday Night and Sunday Morning (2nd view, 1960, Karel Reisz) - 4/5
10. Odd Man Out (2nd view, 1943, Carol Reed) - 4/5

11. Machuca (1st view, 2004, Andrés Wood) - 4/5*
12. The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel (1st view, 2012, John Madden) - 4/5*
13. The Lorax (1st view, 2012, Chris Renaud, Kyle Balda) - 3/5*
14. The Expendables (1st view, 2010, Sylvester Stallone) - 3/5*
15. Picnic At Hanging Rock (2nd view, 1975, Peter Weir) - 2/5
16. Four Christmases (1st view, 2007, Seth Gordon - 2/5*

< Message edited by Gimli The Dwarf -- 26/12/2012 6:35:25 AM >

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 275
RE: Top Films Watched End of November and December 2012 - 4/12/2012 11:10:35 AM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gimli The Dwarf

52. The Hustler (3rd view, 1961, Robert Rossen) - 4/5
I'm never sure which of Paul Newman's performance I like the most.

One of the greatest actors who ever lived, I think my top five performances would be

The Hustler, Hud, Slap Shot, The Verdict, Nobody's Fool.

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 276
RE: Top Films Watched End of November and December 2012 - 4/12/2012 11:45:46 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Perdition, Hustler, Cool Hand Luke, Judge Roy Bean and Hudsucker are my 5 I think.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Much more better!

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 277
RE: Top Films Watched End of November and December 2012 - 4/12/2012 12:35:19 PM   
scarface666brooksy!!

Ghost Dog: The Way of The Samurai (1999, Jarmusch, 1st viewing)

At times slow and meditative, I liked Ghost Dog quite a bit. The great central performance from Whitaker and the slightly minimalistic soundtrack by Wu Tang maestro RZA were highlights. I loved the Italian gangsters too even if they are slightly stereo-typical. Another high-light is the conversation about the similarities between Native American names and rapper's names, and then the sly poke at gangster's nicknames. The fact one of the older gangsters loved Flava Flav and then proceeded to rap along to a Public Enemy song (Cold Lampin' With Flava Flav I believe) was bizarre but oh so awesome

< Message edited by scarface666brooksy!! -- 4/12/2012 12:45:40 PM >

My Aussie Film Thread - Film #7 - Patrick (1978)

Post #: 278
RE: Top Films Watched End of November and December 2012 - 4/12/2012 3:01:11 PM   
Beetlejuice!

73. Monster - 9/10
Theron's performance still impresses, giving her all in this no holds barred account of the notorious serial killer. She has wonderful chemistry with Ricci and the film depicts her predicament without judgement and a lot of humanity.

113. The Social Network - 8/10
For reasons beyond my grasping, this is the first time I've seen this film! It is expertly performed and scripted and Fincher handles the material with respect. It's a telling insight into the mindsets of the young and rich.

(in reply to scarface666brooksy!!)
Post #: 279
RE: Top Films Watched End of November and December 2012 - 4/12/2012 6:45:22 PM   
Rebel scum

65-The Royal Tenenbaums (Anderson, 2001) 9/10

A really good movie, everyone's fantastic, the script's great and the opening setting the scene was cracking. The one problem I did have was that some characters get short shrift compared to others - Luke Wilson was kinda there and Bill Murray wasn't in it nearly enough.

"We are not safe! A dark menace rises to the east! Duckies go quack! Cows go moo! I want ice cream. Verily, will you two hobbits join my quest?"

(in reply to MOTH)
Post #: 280
RE: Top Films Watched End of November and December 2012 - 5/12/2012 8:30:12 AM   
matty_b

Dead Snow (Tommy Wirkola)

A film about zombie Nazis terrorising a cabin full of vacationing skiiers should be fun, and this is. With clear nods to the likes of Braindead and Evil Dead, its low budget does occasionally show, but that only adds to its scrappy charm. Other than that there's good gory action and some genuinely good jokes - clearly the writers have been having an issue with their mobile phone providers. (3.5)

< Message edited by matty_b -- 5/12/2012 9:52:03 AM >

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 281
RE: Top Films Watched End of November and December 2012 - 5/12/2012 9:46:26 AM   
Harry Tuttle

Take This Waltz is fantastic. The setup is slightly contrived but that doesn't really matter as it's the performances that stand out. Williams is, of course, fantastic but it was Rogen that surprised me. I like him in most of the stuff I've seen him in but that's mainly because I find him naturally funny. In 50/50 and this he's shown he actually has some acting chops as well.

Zelig - Woody Allen (1983)
Not one of my favourite Allen films but it does have a lot of charm. Allen starts as the eponymous Zelig, a human chameleon who titlates 1920's society whilst baffling their doctors in this mockumentary. It's brilliantly inventive and has some great one-liners but I found it a little dull at times. I read somewhere that Woody buffed the film up from it's original 45 minute running time with archive footage and narration and it's those bits I didn't really enjoy as much. There's still loads to enjoy here though with Zelig ruining Hitler's speech being a particular highlight . 3.5

< Message edited by Harry Tuttle -- 5/12/2012 9:47:24 AM >

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 282
RE: Top Films Watched End of November and December 2012 - 5/12/2012 11:02:24 AM   
rick_7

Interesting, I didn't know about the padding. Zelig's kind of slight, but I do like it a lot, and it started off my, erm, Farrow crush. She's lovely in it.

Can post this review now:

*BIG SPOILERS*
Take This Waltz (Sarah Polley, 2011)
- Is happiness just about finding the right person? That's the question posed by Sarah Polley's fiercely intelligent new drama, a grown-up, adult film about a failing relationship, and the possibility of a new and better one, powered by a staggeringly brilliant performance from Michelle Williams. She's a wannabe writer, married to kind, gentle Seth Rogen, but experiencing an intense five-year itch which she thinks free-spirited artist Luke Kirby may be able to scratch – if she just can summon the courage to act. Beginning mysteriously, ending ambiguously and overflowing with symbolism, foreshadowing and existential angst, Polley's film is distinctive and bracingly original, with an unshakeable sense of conviction, an unflinching approach to storytelling and an unforgettable pay-off. It's a film with something to say and the talent to say it, armed with spellbinding imagery, an ambitious script and a sublime song score. And even its rom-com interludes feel new: the zingy badinage and mutual goofing twisted beyond all recognition by the torrent of emotions beneath the surface. It isn't a flawless film. It's built on a rather feeble coincidence (the adultery interest lives right across the road), some of Polley's dialogue is too mannered, Kirby is never more than adequate (and he drives a rickshaw – what?), while Sarah Silverman's character exists only as a metaphor and rhetorical device. But films don't have to be flawless to be truly great. This is a movie that really moved me: philosophically invigorating, true to life and as painful as a knee to the nuts. Which other movie has characters who are "afraid of being afraid"? Which romances tell you, "In the big picture, life has a gap in it, it just does. You don't go crazy trying to fill it"? Where else do characters re-connect so sweetly, only to fall away so completely? Rogen is great, building on the promise he showed in 50/50 and Freaks and Geeks' The Little Things, but no-one working today can keep pace with Williams. This is a wondrous film, and its beating heart is a perfect performance from the most exciting actor on the planet. (4)

*Wendy Hiller fanboy*

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 283
RE: Top Films Watched End of November and December 2012 - 5/12/2012 11:13:49 AM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

Interesting, I didn't know about the padding. Zelig's kind of slight, but I do like it a lot, and it started off my, erm, Farrow crush. She's lovely in it

I'm sure I read it on Wikipedia or something so I've taken it with a pinch of salt.

Great review of Take This Waltz. It pretty much sums up my view on the film perfectly (although in a much better way than I could ). Between this and Blue Valentine Williams has been responsible for my two favourite performances this year. It also helps that she has a touch of the Winslets in that she seemingly has a clause that she has to get her breasts out in every film shes in .

< Message edited by Harry Tuttle -- 5/12/2012 11:14:42 AM >

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

(in reply to rick_7)
Post #: 284
RE: Top Films Watched End of November and December 2012 - 5/12/2012 12:11:30 PM   
rick_7

Cheers.

Yes, also her muff.

*Wendy Hiller fanboy*

Post #: 285
RE: Top Films Watched End of November and December 2012 - 5/12/2012 12:12:59 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

Yes, also her muff.

Acting...Naturaaal

(in reply to rick_7)
Post #: 286
RE: Top Films Watched End of November and December 2012 - 5/12/2012 12:51:07 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

(and he drives a rickshaw – what?)

What do you have against rickshaws?

(in reply to rick_7)
Post #: 287
RE: Top Films Watched End of November and December 2012 - 5/12/2012 12:55:05 PM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle

quote:

Interesting, I didn't know about the padding. Zelig's kind of slight, but I do like it a lot, and it started off my, erm, Farrow crush. She's lovely in it

I'm sure I read it on Wikipedia or something so I've taken it with a pinch of salt.

Great review of Take This Waltz. It pretty much sums up my view on the film perfectly (although in a much better way than I could ). Between this and Blue Valentine Williams has been responsible for my two favourite performances this year. It also helps that she has a touch of the Winslets in that she seemingly has a clause that she has to get her breasts out in every film shes in .

Farrow's Wiki entry references Rick's crush?

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

Post #: 288
RE: Top Films Watched End of November and December 2012 - 5/12/2012 1:09:15 PM   
paul_ie86

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

quote:

(and he drives a rickshaw – what?)

What do you have against rickshaws?

His full name is Rick Shaw

My Group Project's facebook page. Please like

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 289
RE: Top Films Watched End of November and December 2012 - 5/12/2012 1:25:57 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

quote:

quote:

Farrow's Wiki entry references Rick's crush?

Gonna try and watch a Woody each night (matty's mum joke) between now and Xmas. I watched Zelig last night because it was the shortest film in the box set but I think I'll probably work backwards from Zelig through to Alice now.

Acting...Naturaaal

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 290
RE: Top Films Watched End of November and December 2012 - 5/12/2012 1:38:56 PM   
Rhubarb

The Wicker Man

As this chilling documentary showes, life out in the sticks is a bit scary. I know you have to take all documentary footage with a pinch of salt, and I expect some of the crazier elements of the pagan society are exagerrated for the camera (would the filmakers really allow someone to get burnt alive?) but nontheless it is scary as it emphasies just how awful life is outside of the cities.

Sherlock Holmes in New York

If you are not excited by the idea of ROGER MOORE as SHERLOCK HOLMES then frankly I feel for you. Add to that that he's partnered by Patrick McNee, with whom he shared some immense banter in A View To A Kill (later than this) as Watson (one of only 4 to play Holmes and Watson) and that's exciting? Unfortunately, mcnee plays Watson as a bumbling oaf, and Moore plays Holmes as Simon Templar, obviously. This is fine, but he basically spends stretches of the plot explaining the plot in the way that Holmes adaps sometimes do. He also has some of the worst disguises in cinema. But it was nice to see old Jackie Coogan grown up and acting in a small part.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

You organisational skills sicken me, Rhubarb.

Post #: 291
RE: Top Films Watched End of November and December 2012 - 6/12/2012 8:40:21 AM   
matty_b

Rare Exports: A Christmas Tale (Jalmari Helander)

Rather brilliantly, it works as both a horror and a great Christmas film as what appears to be Santa Claus is dug up from underneath a Finnish mountain, but it turns out to be something much more nasty instead. There's a genuine shock and tension to much of the film as the creature terrorises the small town underneath the mountain and it's laced with a grisly and gleefully nasty sensibility as the legend of Father Christmas is completely undercut and twisted. But it does also give an interesting and rewarding alternative take on Christmas and how we view the season; with the dark nights, sense of fantasy intruding upon reality and generally mysterious feeling that all things are possible at Christmas, I've always felt that it's the perfect season for telling ghost stories and being spooky, even more so than Halloween, and it's this feeling that Rare Exports taps into brilliantly. Defiantly odd and shot through with a spiky, very European sense of humour, it's a Christmas film for the grown ups in the house. (4)

quote:

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 292
RE: Top Films Watched End of November and December 2012 - 7/12/2012 4:02:20 AM   
scarface666brooksy!!

Hana-bi (1997, Kitano, 1st viewing)

The biggest compliment I can give this film (other then it being a great film of course), is that it does an excellent job of balancing it's themes and tones. At times, it's very emotional and poignant but it never becomes sappy or manipulative. There are moments of violence peppered through-out the film, but it never becomes overly gory. Kitano has created a film that could have ended up leaning towards either emotion or violence predominately, but instead Hana-bi is a meditative and beautiful film.

My Aussie Film Thread - Film #7 - Patrick (1978)

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 293
RE: Top Films Watched End of November and December 2012 - 7/12/2012 6:30:43 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

25. Galaxy Quest (10th view, 1999, Dean Parisot) - 4/5
So much fun. It's a choice between Rickman and Shalhoub for who gives the best performance and they're responsible for the two best lines in the film. Enrico Colantoni should have played Mathesar in Veronica Mars, it would have made the show so much better.

Much more better!

(in reply to scarface666brooksy!!)
Post #: 294
RE: Top Films Watched End of November and December 2012 - 7/12/2012 8:10:28 AM   
matty_b

The Nightmare Before Christmas (Henry Selick)

Is it more annoying for Tim Burton or Henry Selick that a lot of people assume the former directed this, when it's better than anything he's ever done? (5)

quote:

Post #: 295
RE: Top Films Watched End of November and December 2012 - 7/12/2012 9:05:32 AM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

Is it more annoying for Tim Burton or Henry Selick that a lot of people assume the former directed this, when it's better than anything he's ever done? (5)

Ed Wood? (I just tried signing in as Ed Wood in my haste to post that )

Acting...Naturaaal

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 296
RE: Top Films Watched End of November and December 2012 - 7/12/2012 9:17:45 AM   
garvielloken

quote:

Nah, Beetlejuice is still Burton's best film, although Ed Wood isn't far behind. Shame about his output for the last decade or so, it has been fairly awful.

Exactly six miles north of Skagg Mountain in the Valley of Pain, there lives an evil devilmonster. His name is Bingo Gas Station Motel Cheeseburger With A Side Of Aircraft Noise And You'll Be Gary Indiana.

Razzle them, dazzle them. Razzle dazzle them.

Post #: 297
RE: Top Films Watched End of November and December 2012 - 7/12/2012 9:24:29 AM   
matty_b

quote:

quote:

Ed Wood is great, and the best thing Burton's directed - but it's still not as good as NBC.

quote:

Post #: 298
RE: Top Films Watched End of November and December 2012 - 7/12/2012 9:29:18 AM   
Harry Tuttle

I prefer Ed Wood to Beetlejuice but not by much though. I think I'm one of the few that doesn't hate his films of the last decade (or post PotA). Alice in Wonderland aside I've enjoyed most of the stuff he's done (haven't seen Dark Shadows) to varying degrees. Big Fish would be up there with his best IMO, I prefer Charlie and the Chocolate Factory to Willie Winka and the Chocolate Factory, Corpse Bride is no Nightmare Before Christmas, granted, but I still enjoyed it quite a bit and I thought Sweeney Todd had it's moments as well.

Having said all that I do tend to like directors with a strong visual style, I enjoyed Sucker Punch on an aesthetic level, so I'm probably more forgiving of a film's failings if it's visually pleasing.

Acting...Naturaaal

(in reply to garvielloken)
Post #: 299
RE: Top Films Watched End of November and December 2012 - 7/12/2012 9:33:13 AM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

quote:

quote:

Ed Wood is great, and the best thing Burton's directed - but it's still not as good as NBC.

I disagree personally. NBC is a fantastic 5 star film but of all the films Burton's been involved with I'd have it under Ed Wood, Beetlejuice and Batman Returns (It's been a while since I've seen Returns though so a reappraisal may be due).

< Message edited by Harry Tuttle -- 7/12/2012 9:37:20 AM >

Acting...Naturaaal

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 300
Page:   <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Top Films Watched End of November and December 2012 Page: <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI