Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Typograpical Errors =/= Grammatical Error's

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> Typograpical Errors =/= Grammatical Error's Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Typograpical Errors =/= Grammatical Error's - 17/11/2012 7:13:19 AM   
homersimpson_esq

Let's note the difference.

Grammatical errors - People make grammatical errors because they have a deep-set lack of understanding of the basic tenets of English grammar.

Typographical errors - On the other hand, people make typographical errors - colloquially known as "typos" - because they have fat fingers or are too lazy to type properly.

That title was very hard to mis-type. It felt all kinds of wrong.

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.
Post #: 1
RE: Typograpical Errors =/= Grammatical Error's - 17/11/2012 9:23:25 AM   
Hood_Man

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 2
RE: Typograpical Errors =/= Grammatical Error's - 17/11/2012 9:39:21 AM   
matty_b

This is why you don't get invited to parties, Homer.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 3
RE: Typograpical Errors =/= Grammatical Error's - 17/11/2012 9:57:59 AM   
steffols

quote:

ORIGINAL: homersimpson_esq

Let's note the difference.

Grammatical errors - People make grammatical errors because they have a deep-set lack of understanding of the basic tenets of English grammar.

Typographical errors - On the other hand, people make typographical errors - colloquially known as "typos" - because they have fat fingers or are too lazy to type properly.

That title was very hard to mis-type. It felt all kinds of wrong.

Thats not true. Sometimes I make grammatical errors but it may just be the speed I'm typing and I don't think about what I'm typing. And sometimes I don't use apostrophes because I'm lazy, not because I don't know.

< Message edited by steffols -- 17/11/2012 9:58:50 AM >

It's midnight in Manhattan, this is no time to get cute, it's a mad dog's promenade,
So walk tall, or baby don't walk at all.

Post #: 4
RE: Typograpical Errors =/= Grammatical Error's - 18/11/2012 2:32:26 AM   
MonsterCat

quote:

Grammatical Error's

Is the unnecessary apostrophe intentional?

Also: Bladerunner.

< Message edited by MonsterCat -- 18/11/2012 2:33:03 AM >

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to steffols)
Post #: 5
RE: Typograpical Errors =/= Grammatical Error's - 18/11/2012 2:05:12 PM   
Rhubarb

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

You organisational skills sicken me, Rhubarb.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 6
RE: Typograpical Errors =/= Grammatical Error's - 18/11/2012 5:03:03 PM   
horribleives

What does =/= mean?

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 7
RE: Typograpical Errors =/= Grammatical Error's - 18/11/2012 7:23:19 PM   
Rhubarb

Not equal.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 8
RE: Typograpical Errors =/= Grammatical Error's - 19/11/2012 12:59:37 AM   
Darth Marenghi

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b

Invisible Text for SPOILERS: "color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color" , then change the quotation marks to square brackets.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 9
RE: Typograpical Errors =/= Grammatical Error's - 1/12/2012 12:27:25 PM   
Sotto Voce

I do hate it when people use an apostrophe on a plural. That really annoy's me.

All things digested have a similar hue.

(in reply to Darth Marenghi)
Post #: 10
RE: Typograpical Errors =/= Grammatical Error's - 5/12/2012 7:58:43 PM   
Rhubarb

Pedants - do you think that rules of grammar are set in stone and should never be shifted or altered? Should there never be an exception? As I see it, language is about communicating to another person your meaning, and the best way of doing that, is often, by obeying some rules set in place - of course.
But I'll give you an example, I was reading an (archive) interview with Lee Mavers, then singer with a band called The La's, who are named after that scouse thing of saying "La" at the end of every sentence. They mean there is more than one la, so its plural and shouldn't have an apostraphe, by the rules of English. When picked up on this, Mavers replied that people would call them The Las (like Las Vegas) and not say it properly if they didn't have the (erronous) apostraphe, so they put it in - to communicate the way it was supposed to be said. Is this kind of misuse of the English language okay, or is it still annoying?

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

(in reply to Sotto Voce)
Post #: 11
RE: Typograpical Errors =/= Grammatical Error's - 5/12/2012 8:52:16 PM   
Larry of Arabia

"Typograpical"?

"Everything was beautiful and nothing hurt."

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 12
RE: Typograpical Errors =/= Grammatical Error's - 5/12/2012 9:01:27 PM   
Hood_Man

I sent someone an email at work saying thank you for some help they gave me.

They replied with "your welcome."

(in reply to Larry of Arabia)
Post #: 13
RE: Typograpical Errors =/= Grammatical Error's - 6/12/2012 12:31:50 AM   
rich

quote:

ORIGINAL: Larry of Arabia

"Typograpical"?

(in reply to Larry of Arabia)
Post #: 14
RE: Typograpical Errors =/= Grammatical Error's - 6/12/2012 4:04:51 AM   
benny the jet

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

I sent someone an email at work saying thank you for some help they gave me.

They replied with "your welcome."

Your welcome what? maybe they accidentally  hit send before finishing  ;)

That means we only have thirty minutes to get you up that tree

I fucking love tea. Its my favourite drink after coffee and alcohol

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=585511933

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 15
RE: Typograpical Errors =/= Grammatical Error's - 6/12/2012 5:10:58 AM   
Sotto Voce

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rhubarb

Pedants - do you think that rules of grammar are set in stone and should never be shifted or altered? Should there never be an exception? As I see it, language is about communicating to another person your meaning, and the best way of doing that, is often, by obeying some rules set in place - of course.
But I'll give you an example, I was reading an (archive) interview with Lee Mavers, then singer with a band called The La's, who are named after that scouse thing of saying "La" at the end of every sentence. They mean there is more than one la, so its plural and shouldn't have an apostraphe, by the rules of English. When picked up on this, Mavers replied that people would call them The Las (like Las Vegas) and not say it properly if they didn't have the (erronous) apostraphe, so they put it in - to communicate the way it was supposed to be said. Is this kind of misuse of the English language okay, or is it still annoying?

Interesting case, but at least they did it deliberately for a reason, not just because they couldn't grasp a simple rule. Of course techinically it changes the meaning of the word, so now people are pronouncing it right, but they're getting the wrong meaning. So what's more pedantic- being annoyed by wrong punctuation, or being annoyed by wrong pronunciation? When its just a band name you can mess with it because it doesn't really need to convey any information. Its a bit different if its an actual sentence that's supposed to say something.

We know its not the end of the world (probably), its just annoying that people can't grasp (or haven't been taught) a simple rule.

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 16
RE: Typograpical Errors =/= Grammatical Error's - 6/12/2012 8:50:02 AM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

ORIGINAL: rich

quote:

"Typograpical"?

Yes. A typographical error in the phrase "typographical errors" and a grammatical error in the phrase "typographical errors".

Where's the Picard facepalm...

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sotto Voce

quote:

Interesting case, but at least they did it deliberately for a reason, not just because they couldn't grasp a simple rule. Of course techinically it changes the meaning of the word, so now people are pronouncing it right, but they're getting the wrong meaning. So what's more pedantic- being annoyed by wrong punctuation, or being annoyed by wrong pronunciation? When its just a band name you can mess with it because it doesn't really need to convey any information. Its a bit different if its an actual sentence that's supposed to say something.

We know its not the end of the world (probably), its just annoying that people can't grasp (or haven't been taught) a simple rule.

Please be intentional for irony please be intentional for irony please be intentional for irony please be intentional for irony.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 17
RE: Typograpical Errors =/= Grammatical Error's - 6/12/2012 11:51:54 AM   
Rhubarb

The problem with having a pop at people's grammar is that you are always gonna make mistakes yourself isn't it? Mind you, I do think people who genuinely get annoyed at this kind of thing are a bit mental.

quote:

Interesting case, but at least they did it deliberately for a reason, not just because they couldn't grasp a simple rule. Of course techinically it changes the meaning of the word, so now people are pronouncing it right, but they're getting the wrong meaning.

But I think everyone got the meaning, which means that it was, I think, acceptable to mess around with the language. Anything that gets your point across basically.  

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

Post #: 18
RE: Typograpical Errors =/= Grammatical Error's - 6/12/2012 12:03:46 PM   
horribleives

Bands can do what they like with grammar and punctuation 'cos they're way cooler than the people who obsess about these things - see God Speed You, Black Emperor!'s decision to shift the comma in their name purely because they could.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 19
RE: Typograpical Errors =/= Grammatical Error's - 6/12/2012 12:48:20 PM   
Rhubarb

Generally I find bands that use punctuation in their names a bit suspect. Like Hadouken!

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

Post #: 20
RE: Typograpical Errors =/= Grammatical Error's - 6/12/2012 1:45:18 PM   
horribleives

Exclamation marks are a bit rubbish, but I always liked Therapy?'s question mark (though it was only added to fill a bit of space on the cassette case of their first demo. Which is even cooler).

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 21
RE: Typograpical Errors =/= Grammatical Error's - 6/12/2012 2:00:51 PM   
Rhubarb

Obviously the definitive one is !!!, who managed to make themselves ungooglable in the internet age. Great job guys.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

Post #: 22
RE: Typograpical Errors =/= Grammatical Error's - 6/12/2012 2:55:36 PM   
homersimpson_esq

For Ungooglable things, cf O, the high school-set adaptation of Othello. Yeah, really easy to find that on Amazon...

Bristol Bad Film Club

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 23
RE: Typograpical Errors =/= Grammatical Error's - 6/12/2012 2:58:01 PM   
Rhubarb

M.I.A named her last album /\/\/\Y/\ (her name's Maya, see) to make it ungooglable and thus harder to pirate. The album is concerned with our relationship with the internet and Born Free is a tune so I let it slide.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

Post #: 24
RE: Typograpical Errors =/= Grammatical Error's - 6/12/2012 4:15:00 PM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

M.I.A named her last album /\/\/\Y/\ (her name's Maya, see) to make it ungooglable and thus harder to pirate. The album is concerned with our relationship with the internet and Born Free is a tune so I let it slide.

I suspect that is not the tune I think it is.

Bristol Bad Film Club

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 25
RE: Typograpical Errors =/= Grammatical Error's - 6/12/2012 4:23:10 PM   
rawlinson

You want something really ungooglable? Try finding a suitable picture of a film called Lolita Vibrator Torture when you need one for the cult poll.

Post #: 26
RE: Typograpical Errors =/= Grammatical Error's - 6/12/2012 4:25:25 PM   
homersimpson_esq

You on the FBI watchlist again now, rawls?

Bristol Bad Film Club

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 27
RE: Typograpical Errors =/= Grammatical Error's - 6/12/2012 4:29:17 PM   
rawlinson

I was never really off it.

Post #: 28
RE: Typograpical Errors =/= Grammatical Error's - 7/12/2012 3:13:40 AM   
Sotto Voce

quote:

ORIGINAL: homersimpson_esq

quote:

ORIGINAL: rich

quote:

"Typograpical"?

Yes. A typographical error in the phrase "typographical errors" and a grammatical error in the phrase "typographical errors".

Where's the Picard facepalm...

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sotto Voce

quote:

Please be intentional for irony please be intentional for irony please be intentional for irony please be intentional for irony.

Damn. It was 50/50. I do have trouble with its and it's. They should both have apostrophes, but one doesn't. It's a bit less straightforward than plurals.

Post #: 29
RE: Typograpical Errors =/= Grammatical Error's - 7/2/2013 11:02:09 PM   
Cloud Cuckoo

quote:

I'm glad you explained that - I love The La's, and being a fully paid-up member of the grammar gestapo, that apostrophe has troubled me before.

I think it's okay because it's intentional in order to guide pronunciation. Led Zeppelin did the same; had they spelt it 'Lead' then the pronunciation and meaning would be ambiguous. So they dropped the 'a' and everyone knew what they meant.

Musicians have creative carte blanche when it comes to names, really. I get more bugged by ones who mess with spelling/punctuation in a sad attempt to be trendy, like 'Ke$ha'. Especially as they are invariably shit. (Yes like you, Will.I.Am.)

----------

In Thom we trust.

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> Typograpical Errors =/= Grammatical Error's Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI