Argo

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> Argo Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Argo - 16/11/2012 10:25:31 PM   
Whistler

Tense, taught and surprisingly funny, with a nerve-shredding third act. I just got back from a second viewing, and it's definitely made its way into my top 5 of the year so far.

Post #: 1
RE: Argo - 18/11/2012 4:11:28 PM   
Scott_

Yeah, this is great. I only ended up seeing it because Skyfall was sold out but I'm glad I did, very impressive film. Your right about the third act, it is unbelievably tense at times.

Affleck is turning into quite the director as The Town was also excellent, not seen Gone Baby Gone but I've got it on DVD somewhere so I'll have to give it a watch at some point.

"You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig."

Check out my top 21 films - http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3188740

360 Gamertag - SmokinFuzz

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 2
RE: Argo - 23/11/2012 6:21:06 PM   
thedrin

Excellent piece of work.

(in reply to Scott_)
Post #: 3
RE: Argo - 27/11/2012 3:50:42 PM   
Deviation

Yeah, I loved it too.

And it was incredibly tense, not just the third act, once he gets into Iran and the opening with the hostage takeover are incredible. The most entertaining 2012 film I've seen this year.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to thedrin)
Post #: 4
RE: Argo - 28/11/2012 4:18:57 AM   
flipper0

Tight and great fun. Pure hokum, of course, and the airport sequence (very far from the truth) is a step too far into fantasy, but its always tricky to rack up so much tension when everybody knows how it's going to end, and Affleck manages it.

Likeable performances, too. Alan Arkin gets most of the best lines but Bryan Cranston is man of the match - his delivery of the Muppets one-liner is my funniest movie moment of the year so far.

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 5
RE: Argo - 2/12/2012 4:07:10 PM   
homersimpson_esq

I loved the unexpected humour injected into an otherwise serious political thriller. Very welcome.

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to flipper0)
Post #: 6
RE: Argo - 2/12/2012 4:47:37 PM   
Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: flipper0

Tight and great fun. Pure hokum, of course, and the airport sequence (very far from the truth) is a step too far into fantasy, but its always tricky to rack up so much tension when everybody knows how it's going to end, and Affleck manages it.

Likeable performances, too. Alan Arkin gets most of the best lines but Bryan Cranston is man of the match - his delivery of the Muppets one-liner is my funniest movie moment of the year so far.

Bit unfair is it? It still got the politics almost perfectly and the only truly offensive thing comes with the line about the British and NZ embassies. It may have diminished the efforts of Canada and its diplomat too but at least it showed them well.

Well the British deserve it though. Bloody British.

quote:

There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

(in reply to flipper0)
Post #: 7
RE: Argo - 2/12/2012 5:01:54 PM   
matty_b

Thing is, you can get really meta about the more fantastical elements of the story. It's a film about deceit, and about bending the truth for a very specific purpose.

I mean, it also gives it a tense-as-hell finale, but there's some thematic strength to it as well.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 8
RE: Argo - 2/12/2012 9:37:47 PM   
Deviation

Yeah, it does go quite into the idea of deciet.

Oh and there was a Chilean lullaby at the end. That made me happy.

quote:

quote:

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 9
RE: Argo - 8/12/2012 12:11:43 AM   
Coyleone

Oh yeah, this movie was absolutely brilliant. Easy top 5 of the year for me, probably will stay there too by the end. Tense, gripping and very funny. Everything I want from a thriller, and I'd say it's one of the best pure thrillers I've seen for a long time. Comparable to the first time I saw Seven.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 10
RE: Argo - 12/2/2014 1:52:59 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

Just picked up the Declassified Edition, is anyone else going to get this? Looking forward to rewatching the movie and checking out some of the new extras.

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

(in reply to Coyleone)
Post #: 11
RE: Argo - 18/2/2014 1:54:10 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

Rewatched this last night, just as fantastic as i remember.

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

(in reply to DONOVAN KURTWOOD)
Post #: 12
RE: Argo - 23/2/2014 9:12:56 PM   
Sutty

A fantastic 70's style thriller that plays off great acting and a brilliant script. Love this film.

"Lord, make me your instrument of peace. Where there is hatred, let me bring love.
Where there is darkness, light."

"When you're pushed, killin's as easy as breathin'"

(in reply to DONOVAN KURTWOOD)
Post #: 13
RE: Argo - 23/2/2014 11:18:06 PM   
Peregrine Took

Ben Affleck just seems to be getting better with each film. Argo richly deserves all of the accolades it's received. In years to come I can see Mr. Affleck being ranked among the great American directors.

There is a theory which states that if anyone discovers exactly what the universe is for and why it is there it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. Another theory states that this has already happened

(in reply to Sutty)
Post #: 14
RE: Argo - 8/3/2014 10:19:54 PM   
Onlythebassist

I remember being really pissed that Argo won Best Film at the BAFTAs last year, because it had completely slipped under my radar so I had no idea what it was. Since seeing it, I can safely retract all doubts I had.

Argo has a strange charm about it, really showing the humanity and desperation of the characters in full without taking away from the filmic construction (perhaps some of the most ingenious camerawork in recent cinema). All the performances are strong, with Affleck playing an interesting lead, with much more under the surface of the governmental tool shown at the beginning.

Oh, and Argo f**k yourself :)

'You have my money taped to your tits, technically you do work for me' - Donnie, The Wolf of Wall Street, 2013

(in reply to Peregrine Took)
Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> Argo Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI