Car insurance excess

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Knowledge Base >> Car insurance excess Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Car insurance excess - 16/11/2012 1:51:20 PM   
Rumbaabaa

I'm currently having my car repaired on my own insurance (it was just me involved), which is comprehensive. When I first reported the accident my insurance company told me there would be an excess payable of 200, which I was expecting and I'm fine with. A few days later I made a claim - no excess was mentioned at the time. When the guy from the garage turned up to take my car away I asked him whether the insurance company would just take the money from me - he said no, it was up to me to make sure it was paid, otherwise there might be a delay in returning my car.

My question is - how does the insurance company normally collect the excess in a case like this? I'm perfectly happy for the company to take the money from my back account like they do my insurance premium, or I'm perfectly happy for them to contact me and ask for the money. I'm less keen on having to call them myself to make myself 200 poorer, especially if the money might be due for automatic collection at some point in future (don't want to end up paying twice!).
Post #: 1
RE: Car insurance excess - 16/11/2012 2:18:29 PM   
paulyboy

Depends on the insurer I think.

In my experience (Direct Line) you usually pay direct to the garage doing the repair, the insurance company will pick up the rest. Unless the car is a write-off, in which case the excess is deducted from the pay out you're then given.

Like I said, probably depends on the company, should be in the T&C's you were given with your policy or on their website.

"Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever!"

(in reply to Rumbaabaa)
Post #: 2
RE: Car insurance excess - 16/11/2012 4:16:41 PM   
Rumbaabaa

T&Cs don't seem to mention it, and the guy from the garage seemed to suggest I should be paying Direct Line (for it is they). Hmmm.

(in reply to paulyboy)
Post #: 3
RE: Car insurance excess - 16/11/2012 8:01:07 PM   
paulyboy

This might help: Click Me!

"Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever!"

(in reply to Rumbaabaa)
Post #: 4
RE: Car insurance excess - 19/11/2012 12:51:43 PM   
Rumbaabaa

Ah ha! Thanks muchly.

Got a call today from the garage saying the work was finished and that 200 was due, payable directly to them. Would have been nice if they'd explained that at the start, but there we are.

(in reply to paulyboy)
Post #: 5
RE: Car insurance excess - 23/11/2012 1:55:36 PM   
Keyser Sozzled

Just for future reference your Insurance company will never usually take the excess from you. The excess represents the amount payable by you towards the cost of repairs so it would be up to you to pay it to the repairer.

I have no idea who any of them are, apart from Terry Pratchett who I know has got a beard and keeps going on about killing himself but never does.

(in reply to Rumbaabaa)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Knowledge Base >> Car insurance excess Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI