Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

New Writer Attacks Asteroids

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> New Writer Attacks Asteroids Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
New Writer Attacks Asteroids - 16/11/2012 10:16:46 AM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
Asteroids - 16/11/2012 10:16:46 AM   
combourg

Is that the sound of a lazer blaster I hear or the bottom of a very empty ideas barrel being scraped in HollyWood?

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
4 studios bidding? - 16/11/2012 12:22:13 PM   
Nicky C

Asteroids is a classic, but not current. Everyone's played it, but they're not playing it anymore. As an audience member I'm not intrigued by an Asteroids movie at all. Not any more than I was about a Battleship movie, or would be about Monopoly, Hungry Hippos, Hot Wheels or frikkin' Connect 4 for that matter. I want to know who's in it, what's the genre, and what's the basic journey of the hero? Action figures have that embedded in them because they link the toy to a narrative. Board games are playing that game well. So, you can have an interesting movie about a person who plays chess, but you can't turn chess into a movie.

Post #: 3
RE: 4 studios bidding? - 16/11/2012 12:57:54 PM   
jobloffski

How's this gonna work? Could be a cool space type movie if it's 'a space event means asteroids are heading for the planet, sent up squadrons that when in space look stranded and alone as individual ships blasting away, as their compatriots fall by the wayside and the losses of individual ships become individual tragedies until the last ship remaining manages to fire the shot fracturing the weak point of the major rock the plan needs to destroy that other ships have weakened already kind of thing'.

Essentially, the basis of the game needs to be the closing moments of the story building up to that point, with the losses of individual ships in high numbers alluding to the frustrating experience of playing the game, putting in coin after coin for playing a game where the sounds are at least as exciting as the game itself (also see Defender for solid as rock game designed to take your money as fast as possible with it's nerve shredding sounds being at least as much part of the experience of playing the game as the mechanics of it).

Could work very well as a movie, but not if it's case of lone ship blowing up asteroids and that's it. Naturally, the vector graphics of the game can feature as a training tool...

Ooh! Ooh! How about the scenario involving the ships blowing up asteroids being drones, linked to the game interface, and you play the game to save the world...until drone ships start to run out and manned craft have to go in to deliver the coup de grace? Then you have the distance from the real thing aspect of 'a commentary on gaming', thrills, spills and explosions and fun, and then, having had that aspect, you up the stakes by having the danger be more personalised in the last act. And the conceit of using the original game in the film in this suggested way allows for various creative transitions between the game onscreen and the stuff happening in space...Asteroid breaks apart on the wireframe version, morph/zoom to the correlating event visual and sound wise in space...Stuff happening in space, rapidly 'degrade' the image to become the wireframe image and we're back on rhe planet with what is happening in the ground. Damaged ship unable to move from the path of a much larger asteroid, build the tension as death gets closer, loud moment in film, cut to silence, except for the sound going with the visual cut to the image of the wireframe image of the ship being destroyed, reducing a loss of life to a few dots on the screen, but if built up to well enough, still as potentially powerful as potentially cheesy, totally depending on whether the film bothers to create characters that it 'hurts' to lose.

(Note, not that I'm dying to see a movie of this type, just trying to imagine reasons for a movie of this type to be made).

< Message edited by jobloffski -- 16/11/2012 2:45:34 PM >

Yes, dreamers dream and doers do. But if dreamers DON'T dream, doers don't have anything TO do. Everything that is only here because people exist, only exists because someone thought of it., or in other words, dreamed it.

(in reply to Nicky C)
Post #: 4
Hemorrhoids - 16/11/2012 1:35:34 PM   
andrewgc

I suppose when a studio chucks money at you you just try and write a story. But after Battlecrap, sorry Battleship, have they not learned anything?

I mean the best thing about old games now is the titles - Missile Command, Space Invaders. Okay, Pong, is a bit off, but other than that what is the point?

Post #: 5
chuckie egg begins - 16/11/2012 3:06:39 PM   
dangoodfellow

i'm putting forward chris nolan for chuckie egg, keeping his ensemble of michael caine, tom hardy and thingy out of 3rd rock. looking forward to bales transformation to play the chicken, a good chance in for the oscar, the only competition being de niros Danger Ranger

Post #: 6
- 16/11/2012 3:14:54 PM   
jem0013

Now Manic Miner would be cool! And the sequel of Jet Set Willy!

Post #: 7
- 16/11/2012 7:47:35 PM   
Whistler

Is there really any point in calling it Asteroids? Because it's obviously going to be positively nothing like the game.

Post #: 8
frogger - 18/11/2012 12:11:25 AM   
dangoodfellow

okay, last one .....Werner Herzog and Klaus Kinski reunite for Frogger. an intense passionate portrayl of a frog who MUST get to the other side. Oh and Herzog could actually threaten to run Kinski over during the shoot.

Post #: 9
Horace Goes Skiing ... - 19/11/2012 3:25:08 PM   
Nicky C

... directed by Ang Lee.

Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> New Writer Attacks Asteroids Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI