End Of Watch

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> End Of Watch Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
End Of Watch - 14/11/2012 10:04:14 AM   
Your Funny Uncle

I saw a preview screening of End of Watch yesterday. I wasn't expecting much past your average cop buddy movie with a down to earth feel and style like David Ayers S.W.A.T and Training Day. What I got was a new take on the genre, a gritty, violent portrayal of a cops duty in South Central. The main message of the film is essentially 'Don't fuck with the Po-lice" and it's done in a style that sets this apart from your average cop buddy movie.

You warm to Brian (Jake Gyllenhaal) and Mike (Michael Peņa) from the start and there are very touching emotional scenes scattered amongst the action and violence. With great supporting actors such as Anna Kendrick and Frank Grillo you are always immersed in the world set before you, the 'handheld camera' in the main part isn't distracting but 'shaky camera' does seem to have been a little over used in parts and it could have done with being reigned in a little but that style is part of what makes this movie so different from others in it's genre.

Four stars from me

< Message edited by Your Funny Uncle -- 14/11/2012 10:36:22 AM >

Empires Top 100 Movie Characters of All Time! - VOTE NOW by clicking HERE
Post #: 1
RE: End Of Watch - 14/11/2012 10:09:28 AM   
Hobbitonlass

Excellent! Looking forward to this one

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to Your Funny Uncle)
Post #: 2
RE: End Of Watch - 14/11/2012 1:10:36 PM   
UTB

Looking forward to this. Might even drag my ass to the cinema for it.

(in reply to Hobbitonlass)
Post #: 3
RE: End Of Watch - 14/11/2012 1:27:28 PM   
Indio

Saw this at the London Film Festival a month or so back and really enjoyed it. Not sure about the whole handheld camera filming thing, it took a while to get into and had pretty much been forgotten by the end, but Gyllenhaal and Pena have a great chemistry, and thankfully it's not yet another film about LA cops on the take. Not sure about having the main villain of the piece being called Big Evil though, his performance wasn't exactly subtle to start with and then having that name is maybe too much icing on the cake , it's one step away from Dick Dastardly territory...

'Think about the future.'

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 4
RE: End Of Watch - 14/11/2012 4:26:43 PM   
film man aidy

THE cop drama of the last few years. The found footage element isn't the entire runtime, and proves very immersive. Superb performances, especially form the two leads who have a great chemistry together.
If you thought Skyfall had the monopoly on gasp inducing scenes from the audience, wait until you see this (you'll know when they come...)
Believe William Friedken when he says this could be the best cop movie ever made...
Having seen this in Toronto, and assuming there are no cuts in the UK, this has a highly graphic content, and doesn't remotely glamourise LA's gang culture. Very tough.
Empire was criticism of underwritten villans is well off the mark. 'Big Evil' featured in this is all the more scary because he just is. There are some just truely bad people out there, and his character personifies that. He doesn't need a backstory or motivation.
This deserves to have a wide audience, and absloutely should be seen on the big screen. It will definately lose some impact on dvd.

***** Unless The Master or The Hobbit prove otherwise, my film of the year.

(in reply to Indio)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> End Of Watch Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI