Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

LOTR Extended BD Singles

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> DVD Discussion >> LOTR Extended BD Singles Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
LOTR Extended BD Singles - 13/11/2012 10:23:10 AM   
spark1

details at-

http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releases/the-lord-of-the-rings-trilogy4.html

don't make me choose!!!!
Post #: 1
RE: LOTR Extended BD Singles - 13/11/2012 7:14:11 PM   
vader100

Why would anyone buy them in singles?

You can't take the sky from me

(in reply to spark1)
Post #: 2
RE: LOTR Extended BD Singles - 13/11/2012 7:27:05 PM   
rich

Well the DVD versions were, but then weren't they released on seperate dates? And had all the extras? This just looks silly.

Meanwhile...

(in reply to vader100)
Post #: 3
RE: LOTR Extended BD Singles - 10/1/2013 4:27:32 PM   
doubtlesswonder

I'm looking at getting the blu-ray boxset of the extended editions (finally) and just wanted to ask if anyone has it? I heard rumours of problems with the colours or the transfer or something and just wondered if anyone can confirm/deny this before I buy it?

quote:

homersimpson_esq
"Will someone please get this motherfuckin' horcrux outta this motherfuckin' snake."

quote:

homersimpson_esq
"See Mr Grey.
See Mr Grey abuse women.
Run women, run."

(in reply to spark1)
Post #: 4
RE: LOTR Extended BD Singles - 10/1/2013 6:37:14 PM   
rich

That's the first movie you mean. I have read about and seen pictures of Fellowship having an awkward green tint to everything, yeah. How this looks in motion and how much it's noticable, I cannot say. Here is a video of theatrical vs extended BD versions:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vwcm-73kZE8

< Message edited by rich -- 10/1/2013 6:40:26 PM >

Meanwhile...

(in reply to doubtlesswonder)
Post #: 5
RE: LOTR Extended BD Singles - 10/1/2013 6:54:57 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

Fellowship looks amazing on the extended blus, and the new colour timing works really well.

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 6
RE: LOTR Extended BD Singles - 10/1/2013 7:30:11 PM   
doubtlesswonder

Ah yes. I was reading about it in the reviews section on Amazon, and the common consensus seemed to be that the people who were outraged by it were watching on poor quality TVs or players. Having watched the video, I honestly can't see the problem. I probably wouldn't even have noticed it if I hadn't been thinking about it when I watched.

Thanks guys

quote:

homersimpson_esq
"Will someone please get this motherfuckin' horcrux outta this motherfuckin' snake."

quote:

homersimpson_esq
"See Mr Grey.
See Mr Grey abuse women.
Run women, run."

(in reply to DONOVAN KURTWOOD)
Post #: 7
RE: LOTR Extended BD Singles - 10/1/2013 10:30:02 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

You won't be disappointed and it ensures that the visual palette is more in keeping with the other two. A bit like the colour timing on The Matrix BD, to make it fit with the sequels more

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

(in reply to doubtlesswonder)
Post #: 8
RE: LOTR Extended BD Singles - 11/1/2013 12:17:22 AM   
Dpp1978

If I remember correctly, the Fellowship Blu-ray is based on the Digital Intermediate Peter Jackson and company made after they finished Return of the King's extended cut.

They made this as Fellowship went through a more traditional post production process where only 70% or so was digitally graded and recorded out to film; the rest went through a traditional photo-chemical colour grade. These traditionally finished shots would be at least 2 generations removed from the digitally finished shots. This doesn't matter too much on film prints or DVD but these shots would be noticeably softer on a digital system, and by this time digital presentation was the direction the wind was blowing towards.

The theatrical cut Blu-ray of Fellowship is from a scan of the film based, pre DI, version. The other two films' theatrical Blu-rays were based on their respective DIs; they both underwent an entirely digital post production. This might explain why when the theatrical set was released on Blu it was noted that the first film was softer than the other two. There were also claims of excessive digital tomfoolery exacerbating the issue but let us not open that can of worms.

I've seen both versions on Blu-ray, and there is a difference in colour grading between them. Whether it is intentional or a mistake (I lean towards intentional) is up for (ultimately pointless) debate. I certainly don't find the new grade in any way objectionable, and if certain shots are perhaps more blue than they were I'm quite ready to believe it is by design. None of these films have anything like a natural colour palette so there is no objectively right colour balance. Without the anal-retentive obsessives among a certain segment of the home entertainment community the overwhelmingly vast majority of people would never have noticed the difference, much less cared enough to incessantly moan about it. But what (and I am well aware I risk shattering my wilfully constructed glass house with this(rhetorical) question) is the internet for if not for impotent bitching and moaning about things you have no hope of ever changing?

The short version of the above is as follows: they look fine. The debate, such as it was, was a lot of fuss over not very much at all.

Buy them with confidence.

(in reply to DONOVAN KURTWOOD)
Post #: 9
RE: LOTR Extended BD Singles - 11/1/2013 10:28:25 AM   
spark1

they are part of the hmv blue x sale.

(in reply to Dpp1978)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> DVD Discussion >> LOTR Extended BD Singles Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI