Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Lawrence Of Arabia - 13/11/2012 9:38:01 AM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
Yawn - Another 'Review' - 13/11/2012 9:38:01 AM   
andrewgc

Sorry but reviewing re-releases is dumb. Films which at the time were box office flops and became 'classics' shows how useless most reviewers are. They are afraid to criticise a film. They try to say that the film set a standard. LoA set a standard for looooonnngggg films in which little happens for ages, but if you are watching on a Sunday afternoon on Film4 and go to the loo you miss something.

Lean was a great director but some of his films could do with some sensible editing. And some of the Empire reviewers could do with that too.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
RE: Yawn - Another 'Review' - 15/11/2012 5:15:18 PM   
licencetokilt

To be fair, at least Newman mentions the quality of the print, which is specific to this re-release. It's true that most reviews of re-releases rarely challenge the established opinion and their 'classic' status, though if I remember, Fantasia did get a two-star rating back in the early nineties, which was a bit surprising!

As for LoA, I'll be seeing it next week, hopefully with a smuggled thermos of coffee to get me through the near four hour running time! I've never seen a Lean film, something I only just realised, and I've been told this is a good entry-point to his work...

(in reply to andrewgc)
Post #: 3
Eveything that is great about cinema is right here. - 16/11/2012 10:11:51 AM   
JohnChard

For sure.

Yawn. Yet another poster moaning about a review because he/she doen't agree with the film's rating by another.  

< Message edited by JohnChard -- 16/11/2012 12:37:02 PM >

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 4
RE: Eveything that is great about cinema is right here. - 19/11/2012 2:40:36 PM   
UWP

The greatest of all time.

(in reply to JohnChard)
Post #: 5
RE: Eveything that is great about cinema is right here. - 21/11/2012 7:17:15 PM   
Hood_Man

I had a feeling something had been done to the picture when I saw it last night, but otherwise it's still an incredible spectacle. I was thrilled that they kept the Overture and the Intermission, it made the evening feel more like a night at the opera than at the cinema.

I can happily tick this one off my list

I just hope I don't have to wait until 2019 for the 60th Anniversary before I can see Ben Hurr get a similar big screened re-release...

(in reply to UWP)
Post #: 6
RE: Yawn - Another 'Review' - 21/11/2012 8:48:12 PM   
DancingClown

quote:

ORIGINAL: andrewgc

Sorry but reviewing re-releases is dumb. Films which at the time were box office flops and became 'classics' shows how useless most reviewers are. They are afraid to criticise a film. They try to say that the film set a standard. LoA set a standard for looooonnngggg films in which little happens for ages, but if you are watching on a Sunday afternoon on Film4 and go to the loo you miss something.

Lean was a great director but some of his films could do with some sensible editing. And some of the Empire reviewers could do with that too.

What a load of absolute arse.

Astronomic Tune Boy

'The town knew darkness, and darkness was enough.'

"Storm just bleeewwww me away..."

(in reply to andrewgc)
Post #: 7
RE: Yawn - Another 'Review' - 21/11/2012 9:52:09 PM   
Deviation

quote:

I don't think you were watching Lawrence of Arabia.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to andrewgc)
Post #: 8
RE: Yawn - Another 'Review' - 26/11/2012 12:03:29 AM   
Whistler

I'm so disappointed I haven't had the chance to see this on the big screen. Not screening in Edinburgh for some ridiculous reason

Eddy's Film Review
Latest: Need For Speed, Under The Skin, 300: Rise Of An Empire

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 9
RE: Yawn - Another 'Review' - 26/11/2012 10:32:22 PM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

ORIGINAL: DancingClown

quote:

THIS. Couldn't agree more.

Edit my arse. Sheesh.

My blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

(in reply to DancingClown)
Post #: 10
RE: Yawn - Another 'Review' - 28/11/2012 3:39:20 PM   
dolfinack

One of my favourite films, spectacular no doubt. But there are sooome little bits of it I'd like to see cut down. It would make an almost perfect film untouchable. Why the hell isn't this being released in Belfast. My four cinemas should hang their heads in shame.

"I'm as human as the next man"

"Dad! I WAS the next man!"

(in reply to Nexus Wookie)
Post #: 11
RE: Lawrence Of Arabia - 28/11/2012 6:38:31 PM   
rich

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nexus Wookie

quote:

ORIGINAL: DancingClown
quote:

THIS. Couldn't agree more.

Edit my arse. Sheesh.

You could at least edit the thread title, sheesh

Anyway, classic stuff along with River Kwai makes for some top lazy afternoon epics from David Lean

Weekend write-ups

(in reply to Nexus Wookie)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Lawrence Of Arabia Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI