Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

JC's favouritest ever games

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Joypad >> JC's favouritest ever games Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
JC's favouritest ever games - 12/11/2012 1:07:26 PM   
jcthefirst

Yes, I'm copying brooksy's idea, but I have his blessing.

quote:

ORIGINAL: scarface666brooksy!!

quote:

ORIGINAL: jcthefirst

Cool list idea. I was actually thinking of doing something similar.

You should do it!

See?

First up,
Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse, Sega Mega Drive, 1990

This game was probably the game I played the most as a youngster, besides the Sonic games, and while it's essentially a Sonic clone (as were most games back then) it has a charm about it, mostly down to the appearance of Mickey Mouse, as well as a slightly more macabre side, bringing parts of Fantasia to mind. The bosses were tough, the music was great and it's the first game I remember that gave you a choice of which world you wanted to visit first.

And enough people must have fond memories of it, considering an Epic Mickey game kinda sorta based on it is coming out soon.

@Jonny_C85

My Movie Blog | My Other Various Rantings Blog
Post #: 1
RE: JC's favouritest ever games - 12/11/2012 1:11:26 PM   
Hobbitonlass

I loved that!! Quackshot was another one I played loads.

I grew up with the Mega Drive before working my way through all the Playstations

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 2
RE: JC's favouritest ever games - 12/11/2012 1:11:48 PM   
jcthefirst

Next up,

LIMBO, XBLA, 2010

Games very rarely astound me.

Games very rarely astound me for reasons I cannot explain.

LIMBO astounded me.

I cannot explain why.

No cut scenes, no explanation, no words, no instructions. Just you, an impressively realised black and white world and some of the best sound design Iíve ever witnessed.

You start the game waking up in what looks like a forest, you walk right, you have a lot of different and treacherous terrain to cross and only the environment around you to help you. Or kill you. Youíre looking for your lost sister. Everything else wants to kill you, for reasons unknown.

The joy of LIMBO is that it doesnít ever treat you like an idiot. There are no hints or tips on how to progress; you just have to work it out for yourself using the environment. And if you get stuck, well, just keep trying. The solution is there, youíre just too dumb to see it. The only other game I could compare it to is Portal, which is kind of similar with all the puzzle elements, but at the same time itís nothing like Portal.

Itís very rare a game offers up no definite resolution. Without spoiling anything, Iím still thinking about the end of LIMBO three days after completing it. There are a lot of theories on what the game world of LIMBO actually is, and what actually happened throughout the game, but I was incredibly impressed with the bold ending and its implications when you consider it in the context of the entire game. So, an existentialist game that causes you to think, as well as solving a series of devilishly difficult puzzles.

And it has a giant spider. Aces.

To paraphrase Morpheus, you cannot be told what LIMBO is. You have to play it for yourself.

@Jonny_C85

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 3
RE: JC's favouritest ever games - 12/11/2012 1:33:33 PM   
clownfoot

quote:

Next up,

LIMBO, XBLA, 2010

Games very rarely astound me.

Games very rarely astound me for reasons I cannot explain.

LIMBO astounded me.

I cannot explain why.

No cut scenes, no explanation, no words, no instructions. Just you, an impressively realised black and white world and some of the best sound design Iíve ever witnessed.

You start the game waking up in what looks like a forest, you walk right, you have a lot of different and treacherous terrain to cross and only the environment around you to help you. Or kill you. Youíre looking for your lost sister. Everything else wants to kill you, for reasons unknown.

The joy of LIMBO is that it doesnít ever treat you like an idiot. There are no hints or tips on how to progress; you just have to work it out for yourself using the environment. And if you get stuck, well, just keep trying. The solution is there, youíre just too dumb to see it. The only other game I could compare it to is Portal, which is kind of similar with all the puzzle elements, but at the same time itís nothing like Portal.

Itís very rare a game offers up no definite resolution. Without spoiling anything, Iím still thinking about the end of LIMBO three days after completing it. There are a lot of theories on what the game world of LIMBO actually is, and what actually happened throughout the game, but I was incredibly impressed with the bold ending and its implications when you consider it in the context of the entire game. So, an existentialist game that causes you to think, as well as solving a series of devilishly difficult puzzles.

And it has a giant spider. Aces.

To paraphrase Morpheus, you cannot be told what LIMBO is. You have to play it for yourself.

The ethos of old school gaming at it's best. Even better on the PC as it is keyboard controls only! And it's probably more like Another World than Portal, by conjuring up that same feeling of dread for the central protaganist at every new puzzle. The luxury of sancturary after completing one is immediately quashed by the next exhausting brain tease. Plus that fucking spider is terrorising. A still picture doesn't do it any justice - wait till you see it moving....

[plug] My Limbo review can be found... here http://www.thepixelempire.net/limbo-pc-review.html [/plug]

< Message edited by clownfoot -- 12/11/2012 1:34:23 PM >

Evil Mod 2 - Hail he who has fallen from the sky to deliver us from the terror of the Deadites!

http://www.thepixelempire.net/index.html
http://clownfootsinversemidas.blogspot.com/

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 4
RE: JC's favouritest ever games - 12/11/2012 1:57:56 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

ORIGINAL: clownfoot

The ethos of old school gaming at it's best. Even better on the PC as it is keyboard controls only! And it's probably more like Another World than Portal, by conjuring up that same feeling of dread for the central protaganist at every new puzzle. The luxury of sancturary after completing one is immediately quashed by the next exhausting brain tease. Plus that fucking spider is terrorising. A still picture doesn't do it any justice - wait till you see it moving....

[plug] My Limbo review can be found... here http://www.thepixelempire.net/limbo-pc-review.html [/plug]

Keyboard controls on a side scroller are in no way preferable to a joypad you lunatic .

Limbo rocks.

< Message edited by Harry Tuttle -- 12/11/2012 1:59:31 PM >

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to clownfoot)
Post #: 5
RE: JC's favouritest ever games - 12/11/2012 7:03:33 PM   
Olaf

Limbo is indeed brilliant, probably the best game of the current generation after Portal and just ahead of Braid. In terms of similar games (and when Another World is getting a mention), the first level of Flashback on the Mega Drive reminds me a lot of it - unnamed protagonist waking up in the middle of a grassy area with no explanation, random people attacking you on sight, fairly simple platform mechanics being used in innovative ways etc.

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 6
RE: JC's favouritest ever games - 12/11/2012 7:12:42 PM   
Rebel scum

I got Limbo as part of one of the Humble Indie Bundles, and it's currently sat unplayed on Steam. I should really get round to it.

"We are not safe! A dark menace rises to the east! Duckies go quack! Cows go moo! I want ice cream. Verily, will you two hobbits join my quest?"

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 7
RE: JC's favouritest ever games - 12/11/2012 11:45:10 PM   
scarface666brooksy!!

quote:

Yes, I'm copying brooksy's idea, but I have his blessing.

quote:

ORIGINAL: scarface666brooksy!!

quote:

Cool list idea. I was actually thinking of doing something similar.

You should do it!

See?

Anyway, I swear I've played Castle of Illusion before.. It looks unbelievably familiar. And I've never played (but have always wanted to) Limbo.

My Aussie Film Thread - Film #7 - Patrick (1978)

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 8
RE: JC's favouritest ever games - 13/11/2012 12:19:48 PM   
jcthefirst

Circuit Breakers, PSOne, 1998

Basically, this game was my Mario Kart. It's basically Micro Machines as well as countless other similar racers. But this one was the first one I remember playing with my mates. 4 players all huddled round a 14 inch TV, screaming at each other. It's one of those go to slow, fall out of the screen and you're dead racers. And by jove, it was fun.

Wipeout 2097, PSOne, 1996

Another Mario Kart-ish game. Thumping soundtrack, ridiculously fast speeds, and some of the hardest computer controlled opponents I've ever encountered. Nothing beat the thrill of slipping past the lead driver by hovring over a speed boost to take the race. I remember still playing this on Halloween 2001, with Muse playing in the background (on my stereo obvs) with fireworks going off all around. It felt like the world was ending. And it was fantastic.

< Message edited by jcthefirst -- 13/11/2012 12:21:27 PM >

@Jonny_C85

(in reply to scarface666brooksy!!)
Post #: 9
RE: JC's favouritest ever games - 13/11/2012 1:07:09 PM   
jcthefirst

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hobbitonlass

I loved that!! Quackshot was another one I played loads.

The name is familair. Don't think I ever played it though.

quote:

I grew up with the Mega Drive before working my way through all the Playstations

Same here. Up until the Xbox reigned supreme.

ZX Spectrum, Mega Drive, Playstation, PS2, Xbox, Xbox 360/Wii

@Jonny_C85

(in reply to Hobbitonlass)
Post #: 10
RE: JC's favouritest ever games - 13/11/2012 1:26:04 PM   
Harry Tuttle

Circuit Breakers was the first new release I bought for my Playstation. A great little game, not quite as addictive as Micro Machines 2 but a damn sight better than Micro Machines 3.

I never really liked the Wipeout series that much. I found the music was better than the gameplay for the most part.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 11
RE: JC's favouritest ever games - 13/11/2012 6:37:37 PM   
Olaf

At the risk of repeating of myself, Psygnosis <3 (Colony Wars was great as well. and Destruction Derby Raw.)

The prevalence of Sega kids in this thread is deeply disturbing though. the SNES was a real console for real men damn it.

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

Post #: 12
RE: JC's favouritest ever games - 13/11/2012 6:44:32 PM   
Harry Tuttle

I had a SNES. It was the N64 I skipped (£55 per game my arse) as well as the Gamecube. I've been filling in the gaps with my Wii though.

I think my ownership has gone like this

Atari 2600 - C64 - Master System - Amstrad CPC464 - Megadrive - SNES - PC - Saturn - Playstation - Dreamcast - PS2 - XBox - Xbox 360 - Wii

Acting...Naturaaal

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 13
RE: JC's favouritest ever games - 14/11/2012 12:03:34 AM   
scarface666brooksy!!

Wipeout is brilliant.

For me I went Atari 2600 - SNES - Co-owned a N64 with a family friend - PS1 and a Gameboy - PS2 and a Gameboy Advance - PS3

Post #: 14
RE: JC's favouritest ever games - 14/11/2012 9:53:48 AM   
Chief

World of Illusion was a good follow up too, I think you could choose between Donald or Mickey or it could have been co-op.

I went: Atari 2600, Speccy, Mega Drive, Panasonic 3DO (Don't ask....), PS1, PS2 & Xbox, PS3 & 360 & Wii. In between I had a Gamboy, Game Gear and a DS.

The biggest jump was from Spectrum to Mega Drive. The first time I fired up Sonic in a dark room I thought I was going to get epilepsy.

< Message edited by Chief -- 14/11/2012 9:54:19 AM >

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 15
RE: JC's favouritest ever games - 14/11/2012 10:15:35 AM   
Hobbitonlass

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chief

The first time I fired up Sonic in a dark room I thought I was going to get epilepsy.

I remember the first time I played it. Started around tea time and before I knew it, it was about 3am and I was thinking "where the bloody hell did the time go!"

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 16
RE: JC's favouritest ever games - 14/11/2012 12:14:37 PM   
jcthefirst

Die Hard Trilogy, PSOne, 1996

Three games in one based on movies I'd only seen one of (With A Vengeance). A third person shooter, a lightgun game and a weird driving/bomb defusing hybrid. Die Hard was brilliant brainless fun, Die Harder was great despite me not having a lightgun and having to use the controller (to this day, I don't know anyone who ever played this game with one) and bastard hard too, and With A Vengeance actually being my favourite of the three, mostly because it was the game where I perfected my drifting technique. And because the mothod of defusing a bomb consisted of driving over it. I remember reenacting the driving through Central Park bit being my favourite part of the game.

Also, it had quotes from the films liberally sprinkled about. The best being Zeus' "Are you aiming for these people?" as well as "Happy trails, Hans" when you killed bad guys that weren't ever ever Hans himself.

Also, I al;ways used the sqeaky voices cheat and the floating bodies cheat. Good times.

@Jonny_C85

(in reply to Hobbitonlass)
Post #: 17
RE: JC's favouritest ever games - 14/11/2012 12:16:03 PM   
jcthefirst

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chief

The biggest jump was from Spectrum to Mega Drive. The first time I fired up Sonic in a dark room I thought I was going to get epilepsy.

I recently fired up Sonic on my current massive TV.

I woke up several hours later.

@Jonny_C85

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 18
RE: JC's favouritest ever games - 15/11/2012 4:15:47 AM   
scarface666brooksy!!

I swear I think I had a demo of the Die Hard trilogy back in the day.. Then again, I've got a folder with about fifty PS1 demo discs so it's a definite possibility it's in there somewhere.

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 19
RE: JC's favouritest ever games - 20/11/2012 11:34:40 AM   
Sleazy

yeah I think the PS1 used to ship with a demo disk that included Die Hard on it.

Great game, I've been playing it again recently as well as its sequel.

ownership for me went Amstrad CPC > Amiga > Snes > PS1 > Dreamcast > PS2 > Gamecube > Xbox > 360/Ps3/Wii.

Theres loadsa others I owned along the way but usually not for long or nto as my main system.

of course now I have them all again but thats for a different thread.

Gamertag: Sleazycome

PSN ID: Sleazytoon

Post #: 20
RE: JC's favouritest ever games - 20/11/2012 2:16:53 PM   
sroey

quote:

Die Hard Trilogy, PSOne, 1996

Three games in one based on movies I'd only seen one of (With A Vengeance). A third person shooter, a lightgun game and a weird driving/bomb defusing hybrid. Die Hard was brilliant brainless fun, Die Harder was great despite me not having a lightgun and having to use the controller (to this day, I don't know anyone who ever played this game with one) and bastard hard too, and With A Vengeance actually being my favourite of the three, mostly because it was the game where I perfected my drifting technique. And because the mothod of defusing a bomb consisted of driving over it. I remember reenacting the driving through Central Park bit being my favourite part of the game.

Also, it had quotes from the films liberally sprinkled about. The best being Zeus' "Are you aiming for these people?" as well as "Happy trails, Hans" when you killed bad guys that weren't ever ever Hans himself.

Also, I al;ways used the sqeaky voices cheat and the floating bodies cheat. Good times.

OMG! Now that has brought back some memories! Me and my brother played this to death -we even had a light gun we used with it for the virtua cop style section. Loved this game to bits! Cracking game - good shout sir!

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 21
RE: JC's favouritest ever games - 20/11/2012 2:25:28 PM   
sroey

quote:

ORIGINAL: Olaf

At the risk of repeating of myself, Psygnosis <3 (Colony Wars was great as well. and Destruction Derby Raw.)

The prevalence of Sega kids in this thread is deeply disturbing though. the SNES was a real console for real men damn it.

The SNES was a superb piece of kit. Some truly amazing games and memories with my SNES, growing up with my twin bro we both loved it. Sadly it was stolen while we were on holiday - along with approx 20+ games including a £60 import of Street Fighter 2

My brother did pick up a Megadrive but it wasn't a patch on the SNES

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 22
RE: JC's favouritest ever games - 21/11/2012 1:14:51 PM   
jcthefirst

R-Type, ZX Spectrum, 1987

A side scrolling spaceship shooter. This is possibly my favourite game from this era of gaming. There's not much to say really. If you've played R-Type, you know how awesome it was/is. If you haven't, I feel sorry for you.

I don't think I ever finsihed it either. It was bastard hard.

@Jonny_C85

(in reply to sroey)
Post #: 23
RE: JC's favouritest ever games - 21/11/2012 1:19:38 PM   
jcthefirst

Portal 2, XBox 360, 2011

(this long winded review is from my blog)

As much as I wanted Portal 2, I had a few fears that it would just be a longer version of the original. It kind of is, but itís also so much more. Is it a fantastic game? No question, itís sublime. Is it better than the original? Well, no. But itís every bit as good as it.

And luckily, the first Portal was fucking fantastic.

FULL SPOILERS FOR PORTAL 2 TO FOLLOW SO DONíT READ ON IF YOU HAVENíT FINISHED IT

The chambers themselves, the meat and potatoes of the game, are works of evil genius, just as before. After getting you used to the mechanics again (which are the same as the first game, obviously) the difficulty ratchets up considerably. But never unfairly. Never did I feel as if the solution was out of reach, it was just my own stupidity preventing me from proceeding. And there is no greater joy than working out exactly what youíre supposed to do, and working through it in clockwork fashion. The new additions to the game, such as the propulsion gels, light bridges, launch pads and excursion funnels change the way you solve the puzzles dramatically. Where the first gameís hardest puzzles were solved by jumping through portal at high speeds, causing you to fling out the other portal to reach previously unreachable areas (or as GLaDOS puts it ďspeedy thing goes in, speedy thing comes out.Ē), in the second game, these types of puzzles are the easiest. The first time you reach a puzzle that uses all four of the new elements, sometimes with a bunch of turrets thrown in for good measure, youíre likely to curl up into the foetal position on the floor and sob for a bit.

Of course, youíll get stuck. A lot. But youíll also kick yourself for not working out how to solve it sooner.

A lot.

When was the last time a game made you laugh? I mean really laugh. Chances are one never has. Chuckle maybe, but full on guffaw. None. I must have laughed out loud dozens of times playing Portal 2, and itís mainly due to the characters of Wheatley and Cave Johnson. GlaDOS is still in the humour mix, but these new characters really steal the show. There was a point about halfway through the game where I actually had to stop I was laughing so much. One word: lemons. And Wheatley, first of all as your friend and then as the main antagonist is never anything less than hilarious. In addition to my earlier question, when was the last time you were able to quote a game? Again, chances are never. Off the top of my head I can reel of half a dozen great quotes.

One of my favourites being this one from Stephen Merchantís Wheatley: Ooh. It's dark down here isn't it? They say that the old caretaker of this place went absolutely crazy. Chopped up his entire staff... of robots - all of them robots - they say at night you can still here the screams... of their replicas. All of them functionally indistinguishable from the originals... no memory of the incident... nobody knows what they're screaming about. Ab-solutely terrifying. Though obviously not paranormal in any meaningful way.

And all of Cave Johnsonís quotes were gold: All these science spheres are made of asbestos by the way, keeps out the rats. Let us know if you feel a shortness of breath, a persistent dry cough or your heart stopping, because that's not part of the test - that's asbestos.

And once you know that the voice is that of J K Simmons, you canít get him out of your head. If you donít know who I mean firstly, shame on you, and secondly, imagine the editor from the Spiderman movies. Cause thatís who he is.

Also, the world of Portal is expanded so much in the sequel. We get into the bowels of the facility and a whole load of backstory is provided through the announcements over the tannoy. Itís not integral to complete the game, but it fleshes out the world in a way the original never did. If the original was a puzzle game with an implied story (if you cared to follow the cryptic ramblings of GLaDOS), the second is a puzzle game with an actual plot. And is all the better for it. Not to spoil anything, but the game has a good few twists and turns, as well as some emotional investment in characters that you never see, as well as one that you do. I defy you not to laugh and also go ďawwwwĒ at the very last post credits line.

The locations including the test chambers, the old Aperture facility, and the test chambers again but under Wheatleyís control are all stunningly realised and beautiful to look at. Especially impressive when you consider that this game is working off an engine that a few years old already.

The best thing about Portal 2 is unquestionably its desire to not pander to any sort of convention or conformity. Valve could have capitalised on their success by selling out, and throwing in a whole bunch of new features to entice new gamers. They didnít, and more credit to them. It sticks to the same formula as the first, and never feels as if itís been dumbed down to appeal to the masses now that it is a full game in itís own right and not just part of a games package (like the Orange Box).

So to finish, if you want a game that tests your grey matter, has a great story, will make you laugh, make you want to tear you hair out, provide a satisfying difficulty curve, challenge you to think in abstract ways, with a great voice cast, sound design, level design, which looks great and provides a completely satisfying ending, with a fantastic credits song that rivals the originalís ďStill Alive,Ē and with a very high replay value then get Portal 2.

Now.

And I havenít even started talking about the co-op.

The only downside is that itís so good, youíll not want to put it down, and will finish it quickly. But when thatís the only criticism you can come up with, you may just have the game of the year in your hands.

5 stars

@Jonny_C85

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 24
RE: JC's favouritest ever games - 21/11/2012 1:29:49 PM   
Harry Tuttle

R-Type was great. I had a copy on the Amstrad and I'm convinced the 8-bit home computer version was even harder than the bastard hard arcade version. Probably due to the erratic sprite collision detection. Still, it was bloody brilliant.

Portal 2 is phenomenal both solo and in co-op. Effectively 2 brilliant games for the price of one.

Acting...Naturaaal

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 25
RE: JC's favouritest ever games - 21/11/2012 11:45:32 PM   
scarface666brooksy!!

Portal 2 is amazeballs.

Post #: 26
RE: JC's favouritest ever games - 27/11/2012 8:27:54 AM   
Sleazy

R-Type was indeed the mutts nuts. The XBLA version is worth getting, it has R-Types 1&2 and has one of those clever features where you can swap at will between original and enhanced graphics.

It has an option for infinite lives and, dear god the later levels are tough. How anyone ever beat it normally is beyond me.

Am getting an Amiga delivered today and will be looking to track down one of my fave shooters ever: Xenon 2!

Gamertag: Sleazycome

PSN ID: Sleazytoon

Post #: 27
RE: JC's favouritest ever games - 28/11/2012 4:45:42 PM   
jcthefirst

The Walking Dead, XBLA, 2012

I'm calling it now. Game of the Year. Sod everything else.

@Jonny_C85

(in reply to Sleazy)
Post #: 28
RE: JC's favouritest ever games - 28/11/2012 5:59:39 PM   
directorscut

Not even the best adventure game of the year. Resonance kicks its ass and hands it back on a platter.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 29
RE: JC's favouritest ever games - 29/11/2012 1:34:18 PM   
sharkboy

quote:

The Walking Dead, XBLA, 2012

I'm calling it now. Game of the Year. Sod everything else.

Seconded.  A superb game.

quote:

Not even the best adventure game of the year. Resonance kicks its ass and hands it back on a platter.

Like a man having a shit in a moving elevator, this is wrong on so many levels.

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Joypad >> JC's favouritest ever games Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI